My cup runneth over- Rita Graham on 45

Hammersoul

On 12/12/2015 at 21:34, tsu tomatoes said:

I'll give him a tenner! I might stretch to £11 if it's Mint. If I was him, I'd move it on at a big mark up. No one will believe him that it's legit anyhow. My Jamaican Colombia copy of "Universal Love - It's you girl" sat in my sales box for ages, because everyone thought it was moody. 

One of the reasons i posted up to see if legit or not. :g:

Social source share

On 13/12/2015 at 16:55, Peter Richer said:

Hi. Do you know what the Tangerine record number is on the label? I'm assuming it can't be 757 as they go from the 900s to the 1000s.

On the Soulful Kinda Music label listing I can't see any missing numbers; and if this track is from 1969 it ought to be numbered around the 990s. Could it be some later release on a reactivated label?

Peter it`s Trc 1032  in Black Bold with 757 in Brackets underneath.  i don`t know how to post up label scan on here. If someone knows,i`ll text/ what`s app/ messenger the scan and they can do it. 

Going by numbers ,the last pressing on that label was 1031 which was 1973 so if legit,it was last on label. Going by info on a previous thread .

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Hammersoul said:

Peter it`s Trc 1032  in Black Bold with 757 in Brackets underneath.  i don`t know how to post up label scan on here. If someone knows,i`ll text/ what`s app/ messenger the scan and they can do it. 

Going by numbers ,the last pressing on that label was 1031 which was 1973 so if legit,it was last on label. Going by info on a previous thread .

I posted the scan from the previous topic earlier in this topic

Social source share

On 13/12/2015 at 21:22, Benji said:

I don't want to spread any false rumours but the fonst of title and artist don't look right to me. I remember the previous thread and remember the first time I saw the scan. "Recent press, computer designed label" I thought immediately.

This copy is exactly the same , not bigging up the find but if it was a boot or repress,why is there only 2/3 copies. Surely by now there be a few more turning up?Hardly worth pressing up a few when i was under the impression limited run was 100.

Social source share

26 minutes ago, Hammersoul said:

This copy is exactly the same , not bigging up the find but if it was a boot or repress,why is there only 2/3 copies. Surely by now there be a few more turning up?Hardly worth pressing up a few when i was under the impression limited run was 100.

The offer is still open to meet you and P, Wayne. for a beer and to have a closer look. I can smell an original from the early 70s honest :thumbsup: 

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

My mate`s joined Soul source,he`s found a few interesting 45`s which will might get the Steve G. (VINYL OF MASS DESTRUCTION ) certificate in a pub in Cheshunt very soon :thumbsup:      Watch this space.   :shhh:

Who would have thought Cheshunt would  be the Southern hub of rare soul lol.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Steve G said:

Yep Dave, I saw the record last night.

Sorry guys, but as suspected it is a 100% recent bootleg. 

Begs the question why, as it's not as if it's actually currently indemand ?

Mind you the amount of stuff that been bootlegged or re-bootlegged recently I suppose even these unscrupulous bastards are struggling what to do next.

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

31 minutes ago, Louise said:

I wonder were they would have licensed that from with both Ulysses Gains and Willie Tee dead.

Wasn't H.B. Barnum and David Axelrod behind the production of the "I'm Only A Man2 album on Capitol ?

Dave

Licensed? come on Dave…..

Yes Barnum & Axelrod produced the album. 

Social source share

8 hours ago, Steve G said:

Yep Dave, I saw the record last night.

Sorry guys, but as suspected it is a 100% recent bootleg. 

Any details Steve?

What is it about the record which confirms it as a bootleg?

Also, where would one have bought a 'new' one of these bootlegs from? Does anybody have one in mint condition?

Social source share

7 hours ago, Peter Richer said:

Any details Steve?

What is it about the record which confirms it as a bootleg?

Also, where would one have bought a 'new' one of these bootlegs from? Does anybody have one in mint condition?

Yes Peter, but I am not going to make it easier for the bootleggers next time by revealing the tell tale signs that give it away (there were several). Suffice to say I can tell a new record from an early 70s one. I used my own late Tangerine 45s, my nose and my eyes. And of course my brain. 

I was told this, and the moody Willie Tee (both of which are stone mint) turned up in a Soul pack. That might help in "joining the dots" here. Rest assured there was no mystery TRC late release. After the Raelettes, Ray Charles closed the label down and went on vacation for 6 months. Rita Graham was long gone from TRC by 1973. And there is no Gatur 507 either. Sorry guys.

Cheers :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I've said it before, but this is some elaborate scam.   Someone has produced a beautiful looking - if not perfect - facsimile of a Tangerine 45 - they have picked a track that is a well known LP only play - and indeed a pretty good seller because despite its demand you can still pick it it up for less than a tenner.  The track itself is musically OK I guess.   They have pressed it up - but then not put it on sale  - they have however, chose to somehow 'plant' a battered copy in a job lot which has been seen by one of the scenes most respected figures and a second copy in a collection of a person 'returning' to the scene who happens to be a mate of another of the scenes respected collectors.  And to cap it all lives in the same town as the scenes biggest collector - who was able to view it!

I'm completely puzzled by what the purpose of all this is?  It's a funny way to make money for sure !  will they sell anymore  due to the elaborate steps they have taken - wouldn't it of been easier to knock it out for tenner through the usual channels?  Wouldn't it of been better to pick a tune someone was actually interested in?  come on, someone must know?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

I've said it before, but this is some elaborate scam.   Someone has produced a beautiful looking - if not perfect - facsimile of a Tangerine 45 - they have picked a track that is a well known LP only play - and indeed a pretty good seller because despite its demand you can still pick it it up for less than a tenner.  The track itself is musically OK I guess.   They have pressed it up - but then not put it on sale  - they have however, chose to somehow 'plant' a battered copy in a job lot which has been seen by one of the scenes most respected figures and a second copy in a collection of a person 'returning' to the scene who happens to be a mate of another of the scenes respected collectors.  And to cap it all lives in the same town as the scenes biggest collector - who was able to view it!

I'm completely puzzled by what the purpose of all this is?  It's a funny way to make money for sure !  will they sell anymore  due to the elaborate steps they have taken - wouldn't it of been easier to knock it out for tenner through the usual channels?  Wouldn't it of been better to pick a tune someone was actually interested in?  come on, someone must know?

Someone has been very cute here Mike. I personally think it has always been a superb track and I reckon you'd find that many collectors and DJ's would have paid good money for it if they thought it was original? I would have been more than happy to pay say, £150 for it? If you multiply that by say 20+ other mugs like me, it's starting to work out as a lucrative project for some bootlegging fooker! Looks like I'm sticking to the LP then :-)

Social source share

On 14/12/2015 at 10:38, chalky said:

Think everyone considered it Lp only until these recent finds.  Still some convincing needed too by the looks of it.

At least we can say that Derek Pearson is Not a Cad and a bounder now :D.

Not that I had any doubts about his sales technique :thumbup:

Social source share

21 hours ago, docfish said:

Nothing i like to do; to herald a shady business. The copy I've seen is from a guy, who is not really innocent in doing bootlegs himself. For me the picture becomes quite clear now.

So Lars is the perpetrator of this grand deception, a man of international mystery or  possibly a svengali who resides in the UK ?

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Well at least the mystery is now a little bit clearer! Although the source isn't - not yet anyway.

I may be putting two and two together, but the mention of the Willie Tee Gatur '45' had me wondering as a certain well known person mentioned it numerous times on one of his recent 'podcasts'. I thought it odd that someone would mention it in such a casual manner. Yet I'd never come across any other mention of it until yesterday on this thread, and the words 'Soul Pack'..... I wonder if I'm thinking about the same person?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, John Benson said:

Well at least the mystery is now a little bit clearer! Although the source isn't - not yet anyway.

I may be putting two and two together, but the mention of the Willie Tee Gatur '45' had me wondering as a certain well known person mentioned it numerous times on one of his recent 'podcasts'. I thought it odd that someone would mention it in such a casual manner. Yet I'd never come across any other mention of it until yesterday on this thread, and the words 'Soul Pack'..... I wonder if I'm thinking about the same person?

the thick plottens JB

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, TRICKY said:

1+1 appears to equal 3 now. So talking of smelling rats would it be fair to be suspicious of the holy grail Sam Moore?

Mr still Dubious

If you mean Sam Moore's "  Give You Plenty Lovin' " on Atlantic, it most definitely exists ... and two issues of it, pressed at different plants.

Crossover Soul 45 - Sam Moore - Give You Plenty Lovin' - Atlantic - mp3 - rare!Crossover Soul 45 - Sam Moore - Give You Plenty Lovin' - Atlantic - mp3 - rare!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!