Picture Sleeve values?

Dean

Guest johnny hart

Dean,Your PCs look french or dutch,set sale prices on ebay /discogs would be £5 to £10, at auction maybe a cople of Quid ,The key factor in European/asian PCs is the "northern factor" if a remotely in-demand or unissued on 45 US Uk then your cheap little endeavour becomes rather epensive{ even the remotest part of Lebanon know of NS rareities and price accordingly! LOL Johnny

Social source share

3 hours ago, conchitta said:

Dean,Your PCs look french or dutch,set sale prices on ebay /discogs would be £5 to £10, at auction maybe a cople of Quid ,The key factor in European/asian PCs is the "northern factor" if a remotely in-demand or unissued on 45 US Uk then your cheap little endeavour becomes rather epensive{ even the remotest part of Lebanon know of NS rareities and price accordingly! LOL Johnny

Have to agree on current prices, picking them up cheap. Just something in the aesthetic that prompts the thought of future collectables. Just wondering how limited supply is? 

Social source share

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Have to agree on current prices, picking them up cheap. Just something in the aesthetic that prompts the thought of future collectables. Just wondering how limited supply is? 

Depends on country of origin I guess Dean with regards population of those countries. Also weather the song was a hit or not. Its tough to find a lot of non hits these days in good/mint condition so if you can pick em up cheap could be a good investment.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

The Otis Redding 45 is part of a French series of Otis releases. I think that there are 24 numbered vol 1, vol 2 etc. They were issued after his death. You see them regularly at French record fairs. If this one has some special significance as northern or exceptionally rare tracks unissued elsewhere, i don't know. Unless so, I would expect to pick it up in top condition for less than 5 euros.

The Jerms 45 looks Spanish. Depending on condition it could be worth around 20 euros as a mod northern soul item.

Social source share

Guest themroc

Just to add on Otis Reading picture sleeves. I have an EP where he sings one track in Spanish. Am I right to assume this would be more collectable and therefore valuable ?

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Themroc,Beware spanish dealer prices of their home grown product; ihave collected in spain for 15 years and on cheaper end items they over value them massively.Ihave many motown spanish language 45s and would rate them the same as English. Appears iwas wrong on Jerms " Green Door"has sold for £20 on popsike,wow ! Too these ears the epitome of awfullness! worse than Shakin Stevens and Jim Lowes Original ,Wynder ,K, frog Rules LOL Johnny

Social source share

Guest themroc
5 hours ago, ineptmod45 said:

Can you let me know which EP this is please? I have a lot of Otis stuff and have not seen an EP where he sings in spanish

Sorry bruv still shot Away from the weekend it's an Wilson Picket 45, 'Una Adventura' part of San Remo '69 series on Atlantic. 

Social source share

Guest themroc
5 hours ago, ineptmod45 said:

Can you let me know which EP this is please? I have a lot of Otis stuff and have not seen an EP where he sings in

2 minutes ago, Philippe said:

"Una Aventura" is italian, like San Remo.

950_001.jpg?v=1

Make you right bruv. But it's pressed in Madrid. A American song sung in Italian made in Spain, cumon gotta be worth 10 Franks of any ones money? I'm off to bed I feel peculiar.

Social source share

What I'm about to say applies to non-UK euro releases only. The UK market is a place of its own!

General rule of thumb for euro pic sleeves: they're never worth more than their US counterpart.

Exceptions to that rule: They never came out in the US or are different takes or have highly collectable sleeves (especially Motown). The euro language releases on Atlantic and Tamla-Motown used to fetch big big money many years ago but there's hardly any demand for them nowadays.

I sold plenty of german (and a few euro) P/S issues over the years and most of the time I only got a fraction of the price of the US release.

Maybe I forgot an aspect or two, feel free to correct me....

Social source share

3 hours ago, Benji said:

What I'm about to say applies to non-UK euro releases only. The UK market is a place of its own!

General rule of thumb for euro pic sleeves: they're never worth more than their US counterpart.

Exceptions to that rule: They never came out in the US or are different takes or have highly collectable sleeves (especially Motown). The euro language releases on Atlantic and Tamla-Motown used to fetch big big money many years ago but there's hardly any demand for them nowadays.

I sold plenty of german (and a few euro) P/S issues over the years and most of the time I only got a fraction of the price of the US release.

Maybe I forgot an aspect or two, feel free to correct me....

Demand on the market have change indeed through the decades. But french EP's have just dried-up and are still considered "desirable" for collectors (like me). No DJ's will go for them since they are kinda lo-fi and they are too expensive for the "common" music buyers. They didn't lose their "splendor" IMHO, but they are only harder to find and too expensive for most wallet. The Artone (Holland) Tamla-Motown, Chess... thingies are still much more collectable and always order bigger $ than their USA counterparts. And they sound good enough on the other hand. Now I don't go for the other €uro releases (German, Spanish, Portuguese...) The Belgian ones are odd and pretty hard to catalogue and/or value (some with picture or art-sleeve and some without) and do have a personal preference here ! With few exceptions like the "unreleased" or 7" format issue for theDJ's.

Social source share

The Motown pic sleeves are nice to own and still cheap. My favourite is this one by the Temptations - two of their best sides and a great image too.

G7055P.gif.4ac488cc9c9ae61411d1dfd44d406

I once sold a few to a guy who only wanted them to frame and hang on his wall and, who, at the same time bought my mate's restored Li150 to sit in his living room as a 'conversation piece'. :rolleyes:

Edited by LiamGP
tyes
Social source share

I may be one of the very few, but I prefer to buy unusual looking records, especially picture sleeved ones. I can't resist buying a record that I may even have on US or UK, if it's on a nice looking label with a p/s, hence the Mitch Ryder and Bobby Freeman ones above. I think that deep down, I like the looks that you get from other collectors at gigs, when you slide on the deck an unusual looking release, I like to see their heads rotating trying to catch up with the label name and title. Maybe that's just me, but it is a guilty pleasure :-)

Social source share

On 2015-12-07 at 14:15, conchitta said:

Appears iwas wrong on Jerms " Green Door"has sold for £20 on popsike,wow ! Too these ears the epitome of awfullness! worse than Shakin Stevens and Jim Lowes Original ,Wynder ,K, frog Rules LOL

Most people buying that Jerms 45 is getting it for the "I'm A Teardrop" side.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!