• Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest trickbag

AL HUDSON & the SOUL PARTNERS  -  The Atco Years

Expansion (UK) EXCDM 50

My Number One Need; I’m About Lovin’ You; When You’re Gone; We Must Make It Happen; I’ve Been Loving You Too Long; Love Is; Almost Ain’t Good Enough; When I’m Loving You

At various sessions between December 1974 and July 1976, Al Hudson & the Soul Partners laid down seventeen titles for Atlantic’s Atco subsidiary but were somewhat ill-served in that only eight surfaced as sides on 45s and no album was forthcoming,  Those eight released items are now collected here by Expansion as ‘The Atco Years’, produced within the group - despite credit going principally to Perker Productions, the company owned by their manager, singer/songwriter/producer/deejay, Al Perkins - and arranged variously by Jimmy Roach, Patrick Adams and Arif Mardin.  Rather than arrange the tracks in chronological order, they are presented with a ballad break at tracks 5, 6 and 7 but the standard of songs and performances is so uniformly high that it need not be a distraction.  However, if you want to put things into release order, the first single - Atco 7011 coupled ‘We Must Make It Happen’, a highly-orchestrated and gloriously upbeat number, with ‘My Number One Need’, a fine mid-pacer with excellent harmonies.  Atco 7029 delivered another uptempo a-side, ‘I’m About Loving You’ with a stunning ballad, ‘Almost Ain’t Good Enough’, while the Company decided to ring the changes for Atco 7037 by fronting something much more ‘down home’ in the shape of a splendid revival of Otis Redding/Jerry Butler’s ‘I’ve Been Loving You Too Long’.  With the irresistible ‘When You’re Gone’ as the spirited flip, it was a great double-sider.  Their final Atco release, #7044, was a further ballad, ‘Love Is’, backed by a grittier than usual ‘When I’m Loving You’, a generally midtempo item which gets a gets a little ragged towards the end.  Al Hudson & the Soul Brothers had to wait for a move to ABC later in ’76 to get their first taste of chart success but, from then there was no stopping them.  They got a little funkier when they moved across to MCA and changed their name to One Way but, in my book, this short but oh so sweet cd represents their most entertaining work and I have no hesitation with regard to the rating.

AL HUDSON & SOUL PARTNERS: love is / when i'm loving you

$100

ATCO 7044

CRAIG MOERER

RECORDS BY MAIL

al-hudson-and-the-soul-partners-we-must- Al Hudson And The Soul Partners

A: We Must Make It Happen
B: Love Is
pixel.gif Atco USA 45-7044 1976 7" 0  
al-hudson-and-the-soul-partners-love-is-

Al Hudson And The Soul Partners

A: Love Is
B: When I'm Loving You twice

Al-Hudson-The-Partners.jpg

love is, was released  twice.

ricky.

pixel.gif Atco USA 45-7044 1976 7" 1  
Social source share

I've got most of the Al Hudson Atco 45s, including both of these.

I'd already got "We must make it happen" when I came across it well over 15 years back, so bought it blind - just out of curiosity.

Just going through the notes on Discogs for this release number, it mentions the two B sides, plus that the copies with "When I'm loving you" on were credited to Al Hudson & The Soul Partners. But the ones with "We must make it happen" on are only credited to  Al Hudson.

I can't say as I'd noticed that, so will have to check my copies! :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert