Dave Howard On Ebay

Ted Massey

• Replies 45
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Jeesss! get over it some one has listed a record as northen soul :rolleyes: How very, very dare they,

Didn't think it was an all bad record, could see some popcorn ellement in it

Social source share

Ahhh....now I get it....Only northern soulies are allowed to pay silly money for ..records that others may class as shit :rolleyes:

Each to their own I say

Possibly one of the hardest Popcorn records to find....and no it's not my cup of tea.

You should hear what they say about expensive stompers !!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Ahhh....now I get it....Only northern soulies are allowed to pay silly money for ..records that others may class as shit :rolleyes:

Each to their own I say

Possibly one of the hardest Popcorn records to find....and no it's not my cup of tea.

You should hear what they say about expensive stompers !!!!!!!!!!

I don't think any one said only Northern soulies are allowed to pay silly money for records.

My take it was advertised as a NS record when clearly it wasn't.

It could well be a rare Popcorn record but the question in the topic line was "is it really soul?"

Social source share

I don't think any one said only Northern soulies are allowed to pay silly money for records.

My take it was advertised as a NS record when clearly it wasn't.

It could well be a rare Popcorn record but the question in the topic line was "is it really soul?"

Youre quite right Tabs

It deffinitely isn't northern soul,,,,but I wouldn't like to try and tell all the Ebay sellers what constitutes a Northern Soul record,,,

I've had loads of bargains through mis-labeling of genre so I quite like it when they get it wrong

and I can sympathise with some of these guys....I wouldn't know how to tell the difference between say Rockabilly- psychobilly & zydeco, coz I simply don't know the difference myself

best

Linda

Social source share

Guest soul_hull

popcorn? bits of interesting 60s pop, soul etc all in a mix - is what i understand it to be - and imo this 'choon' fits into popcorn, but not northern soul - which is what is annoying people.

having said that - if someone is gonna pay £700 for a record, they must actually want it, and it ain't gonna be just coz it says 'northern soul' in the listing.

but the seller is wrong - pure and simple.

Social source share

can someone explain for me what 'popcorn'is - can't ever remember that being said in my day :wicked:

Hi Soultrader

When we were all young and going to 'Northern Soul' Allnighters, dancing to 100mile an hour rare soul music. In Belgium they were staying up dancing allnight on a scene running paralel to our own called 'The Popcorn' They didn't do acrobatic dancing like our selves, they danced a sort of slow jive (as couples) so needed a more mid tempo rhythm. For some (the record collectors and DJ's) the rarity of the music, and its musical content was paramount....ie Sam Fletcher, George Smith, Kel Osbourne etc...but for the dancers...as long as it suited their dancing...rarity didn't matter, cha cha, teen, latin etc was ok. This is also why pitch control was so widely used over there, because the tempo was so important for the dancefloor.

Of course as with collecting anything........If a sought after item of cha cha or teen was from a no hit wonder, the price would reflect its rarity...even if classed by collectors of other types of music as crap.

Best

Linda

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

Guest bleusuperb

Nope, not for me but then again some of the sounds I hear on this site, which other members really rate, are not my thing either and a lot of stuff I like is written off as ****, each to his own.

The guy has put up a soundclip, don,t like it then don,t bid, seems fair enough.

Deffo not my idea of Northern Soul but listing it as such will help the bidding, don,t like then don,t bid.

Hard enough to get two people on this site to agree on what is and what is not northern soul, though this guy is stretching it a bit, quite a lot, in fact a hell of a lot.

Edited by bleusuperb
Social source share

Really cant see why so many people get in such a bloody kefuffle just because some one on ebay has listed a bloody record as northern soul :thumbsup:

Sh*t send the soul police round how very, very dare they do that. im sure the guy listing this record needed no help with the bidding infact thats been proved by the bids sound clip there for any one to hear it, up to some one if they want to bid or not, its proberly a cherrished item to some, how many other forums do you think have said some of us are mad for bidding on high priced records on ebay and them selfs thinking what a sh*te record :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

As Northern Soul generally seems to pick up good prices compared with the average pop record, people are always going to list it were they think the will get best price. We only have ourselves to blame, white POP records have been part and parcel of the NORTHERN scene since day one, so if you are selling records that you don't know then PAUL ANKA 1950's ballads become NORTHERN SOUL due to 2 records that he had played on the scene. It's the same with popcorn, because some records were being played on the northern scene then popcorn sellers are selling popcorn as northern. I guess I do the same with (Rock) bands, do I list it correctly I doubt very much but to be honest I can't be bothered to research it before I list and even if I listen to it, I'm no better off either as to me it's rock music, but to the rock collector then oh shit :thumbsup::thumbsup: .

Social source share

Really cant see why so many people get in such a bloody kefuffle just because some one on ebay has listed a bloody record as northern soul :ohmy:

Sh*t send the soul police round how very, very dare they do that. im sure the guy listing this record needed no help with the bidding infact thats been proved by the bids sound clip there for any one to hear it, up to some one if they want to bid or not, its proberly a cherrished item to some, how many other forums do you think have said some of us are mad for bidding on high priced records on ebay and them selfs thinking what a sh*te record :thumbsup:

Some one asked a question Baz and others as well as answering are also discussing the description of the record, whats wrong with that or is that a no no now on here :thumbsup:

Social source share

Some one asked a question Baz and others as well as answering are also discussing the description of the record, whats wrong with that or is that a no no now on here :thumbsup:

They make the no no`s up as they go............... :thumbsup:

Social source share

They make the no no`s up as they go............... :thumbsup:

:ohmy:

I thought the idea was to encourage discussion not mock those who take the time to post and discourage discussion. Christ, forums neeed all the encouragement they can get right now as most just going round in circles with same discussions :thumbsup:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

:ohmy:

I thought the idea was to encourage discussion not mock those who take the time to post and discourage discussion. Christ, forums neeed all the encouragement they can get right now as most just going round in circles with same discussions :ohmy:

baz is a member too and sometimes he takes his moderating hat off and talks nonsense like the rest of you :thumbsup::ohmy:

i reckon he should be allowed to disagree on subjects too. he isn't telling anyone to stop posting he is just giving his opinion.

well thats what i reckon but maybe i am biased to my mate baz :thumbsup:

:D

Social source share

Who said any thing about it being a no no, god liven up FFS, i cant understand why some people get shot down in flames for listing a record on ebay under the guise of NS,

Or am i not allowed oppinoins now :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soul kitten

sounds like something you should EAT popcorn to :ohmy: whilst you are watching Howard Keel in a musical to me, def not my cup of tea would call it musical theatre not soul

but hey each to their own somebody willing to pay vast amount of money for it and reserve not met yet :thumbsup: maybe they know something we don t :thumbsup:

Social source share

I dont think you can expect US sellers to always get it right when it comes to describing a record's genre. It's a particularly British thing to be so obsessed with what style to call a record, this seller's had a guess and got it wrong.

This seller is obviously aware that this is an in demand record and has assumed wrongly that the demand is from Northern soul collectors. Really, how would he know or indeed give a f*** what a Northern soul record sounds like?

Pointing out a mistake like this is fair enough, but no one with any authority was claiming this to be northern... and why does there always have to be the barrage of 'it's shite' posts?

Bach isn't Northern soul but that doesn't make it shite.

I think this is a good piece of music, regardless of what style it is. I'd rather listen to it than a lot of 'soul' that never gets criticised because it has the 'right' pedigree even though it's tuneless shite.

A good tune is a good tune and personally I'd rather listen to quality teen pop like this than shite soul.

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

Dear God , words do not generally fail me , but this time I am at a loss .....

I recently had an ear infection which caused me deafness for four days ...... when listening to this ' gem ' , I wished I had the infection again .

I used to work with a guy called Dave Howard ; I hope this is not you Dave .....

Malc Burton

The CORNER POCKET , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

THIS SATURDAY , September 16th - Guest DJ SEAN CHAPMAN

Social source share

but the seller is wrong - pure and simple.

How is this an issue?? There's a soundclip there so people can make their own minds up. Common sense seems to be the real rarity around here sometimes... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think the only connection between belgium popcorn and northern soul is

the fact they stay up all night to dance to it. surely it dosent mean it has to be played

on our scene. the young uns are currently doin all night raves. hope this dosent

cross over to northern..................or has it already :thumbsup:

dave

eh up dave

i have been to popcorn events and like i said before most of it wasn't my cup of tea, some of it was god damn weird and some was absolutely fantastic. i remember hearing some really good mid-tempo, big voiced stuff in the vein of a good roy hamilton record for example. our northern nighters have plenty of popcorn fans who usually lean towards the rnb side of things.

i would much rather hear good popcorn stuff than wishy washy 70s but that the beauty of our allnighters - you can hear all sorts of things.

Shane

Social source share

I think the only connection between belgium popcorn and northern soul is

the fact they stay up all night to dance to it. surely it dosent mean it has to be played

on our scene. the young uns are currently doin all night raves. hope this dosent

cross over to northern..................or has it already :thumbsup:

dave

Yeh.I agree totally....Popcorn or even R&B should never be played on the northern scene.

I'm all for a complete breakaway for those of us who want to here different stuff ..ie popcorn or R&B..... separate rooms at the very least, or preferably completely separate venues.

There was never a connection between the two scenes...A few of their big mid tempo bits did get played on the northern scene, but other than that, they were just running paralel to each other.

Linda

Social source share

Hi Soultrader

When we were all young and going to 'Northern Soul' Allnighters, dancing to 100mile an hour rare soul music. In Belgium they were staying up dancing allnight on a scene running paralel to our own called 'The Popcorn' They didn't do acrobatic dancing like our selves, they danced a sort of slow jive (as couples) so needed a more mid tempo rhythm. For some (the record collectors and DJ's) the rarity of the music, and its musical content was paramount....ie Sam Fletcher, George Smith, Kel Osbourne etc...but for the dancers...as long as it suited their dancing...rarity didn't matter, cha cha, teen, latin etc was ok. This is also why pitch control was so widely used over there, because the tempo was so important for the dancefloor.

Of course as with collecting anything........If a sought after item of cha cha or teen was from a no hit wonder, the price would reflect its rarity...even if classed by collectors of other types of music as crap.

Best

Linda

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the overview of the Popcorn scene.

Its something I did not really know about or understand.

After listening to Dave Howard,(again) in case I was too harsh the first time, I have to say this is not for me. (And thats polite :thumbsup: )

Each to there own but this leaves me cold.

If this is soul (and that was the q in the original post) then as the shepherd said

'Lets get the flock out of here'

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

no one has said it is soul though, except an ebay seller, who made a mistake. Why do you care what a random ebay seller mistakes for soul?

No one has played it at a soul do, no one on here has said it's soul, it hasn't sold for $1000 because anyone thinks it's soul. You arguing, but with no one.

Sorry, but WHERE'S THE F****** ISSUE HERE? :thumbsup:

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Yeh.I agree totally....Popcorn or even R&B should never be played on the northern scene.

I'm all for a complete breakaway for those of us who want to here different stuff ..ie popcorn or R&B..... separate rooms at the very least, or preferably completely separate venues.

Linda

Linda .....i Love You :thumbsup:

agree 100%

Social source share

There was never a connection between the two scenes...A few of their big mid tempo bits did get played on the northern scene, but other than that, they were just running paralel to each other.

Linda

R&B has always been a part of this scene ,more so in the early days of the Wheel and Torch,but as I understand ,it you want to change the scene because you are not to keen on R&B.infact Ska and Reggea used to get played at the same Venues,not that I would like to see that again ,but you cant just chop out the bits you dont like,I like R&B, but I would not like to hear it alnight

Bazza

Social source share

R&B has always been a part of this scene ,more so in the early days of the Wheel and Torch,but as I understand ,it you want to change the scene because you are not to keen on R&B.infact Ska and Reggea used to get played at the same Venues,not that I would like to see that again ,but you cant just chop out the bits you dont like,I like R&B, but I would not like to hear it alnight

Bazza

Ha Ha Ha..... I certainly don't want to change the scene Bazza...I love it...(dont mend what isnt broken)

But about 10yrs ago I found myself becoming more and more passionate about the Popcorn/ R&B stuff.

What I want is somewhere to go where, I and others with similar tastes can listen to R&B & Popcorn allnight, without having to appolgise. to the soul police because, some of it, ain't soulful, aint rare and aint black.

The modern soul lovers went off and did their own thang...and I see no reason why we shouldn't too.

best

Linda

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert