What Was The Slowest Northern Tune?

Guest martinsbox

Guest martinsbox

Don't know if there's been a thread for this before, but what IS the slowest Northern tune played at a nighter?

Slower than perhaps Tony Clarke's "The Entertainer" or The Tams ultra brilliant, magnificently soulful "Hey girl don't bother me".

Modern and cross-over type sounds don't apply.

Martin

Social source share

• Replies 86
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest vinylvixen

Don't know if there's been a thread for this before, but what IS the slowest Northern tune played at a nighter?

Slower than perhaps Tony Clarke's "The Entertainer" or The Tams ultra brilliant, magnificently soulful "Hey girl don't bother me".

Martin

Down and Out....George Freeman

Hal Miller....the one Alan H plays

Social source share

George Smith - I've Had It

Garett Saunders - In a Day or Two

Jimmy Helms - Youre mine You

Jimmy Burns - It used to Be

alt version of Jimmy Burns...by Lee Wilson

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Down and Out....George Freeman

Hal Miller....the one Alan H plays

Ah . . . is there a site where we can get the b.p.m. for these tunes? Nothing could be slower than Tony Clarke, surely! George Freeman is slower than Hal Miller, but I'm sure if they were slower than Tony Clarke, the record would not be spinning!

Martin

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Jimmy Ricks - Oh Wat a feeling.

Ray Pollard - The Drifter

A nice mellow set we could build here.

Two smashing tracks, and both not heard for ages.l

Martin

Also perhaps Willie Tee "Walking up a one way street" perhaps.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

'Blessing In Disguise' ?

Mmmmmmmmmmm......yes please !

By Jove, White, that's it.... :thumbsup: Big Maybelle 'Oh Lord'....Jo

Ah . . . is there a site where we can get the b.p.m. for these tunes? Nothing could be slower than Tony Clarke, surely! George Freeman is slower than Hal Miller, but I'm sure if they were slower than Tony Clarke, the record would not be spinning!

Martin

OK Martin, battle of the beat ballads....George Freeman is almost Funeral March - Tony Clarke is 130bpm compared to this :shades: Jo

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

By Jove, White, that's it.... :thumbsup: Big Maybelle 'Oh Lord'....Jo

OK Martin, battle of the beat ballads....George Freeman is almost Funeral March - Tony Clarke is 130bpm compared to this :shades: Jo

Right then, we need a place to stage a 'Slowest of slow' nights to fight this out. The first record to make the dancers stop dancing is the winner . . . and I don't mean by playing pop!!

Martin

Social source share

Hi there, I have heard all these played at a Northern Soul Venue and believe me the night was better for hearing them.

Big Dee Irwin - You satisfy my needs - Rotate or if you're really fortunate UK Stateside.

The Phantom - Come back to me - Karisma

The Autographs - Sad sad feeling - Joker or Loma.

Johnny Truitt - Just the other day - Abet.

and finally one I played myself at the the 3 Greyhounds Charity All Dayer, the awesome,

Maxine Brown - Seems you've forsaken my love - Epic

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Martin

Barbara McNair - You're Gonna Love My Baby - That's pretty slow.

Cheers

Mick

https://northern-soul-records.com

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Kenny Ballard & Fab. Soul Bros - There Will Never Be Another - Dynamo

Now that's a record which is dear to my heart ..................fabulous midtempo/island soul and a great deepie on the flip "Down to my last heartbreak" .....................two for the price of one - a steal if you can find one - sure doesn't turn up too often !!!!

Take care

John :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

Betty Lavette - Let me down easy - Calla

Roy Hamilton - You can count on me - MGM

Jackie Hill - Won't you come closer - MarBrit

Brooks O'Dell - I'm your man - Gold

Jimmy Bailey - I miss her - Columbia

Chris Harris & The Soul Agents - You really fooled me - Dial

Mary Wheeler - Prove it - Calla

Ali

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Can't belive that nobodys mentioned Paris Blues yet ?

Just had the nudge . . . How about someones favourite song of ALL time Paris Blues by the brilliant Tony Middleton on Mala. On pure class this just has to be the slowest of all time. Also Mel Britt's "She'll come running back" no mention yet, and not even upbeat on the chorus!!

Martin :thumbsup:

Social source share

Funny that Mel Britt is thought of as a slowie: the percussion and bassline are actually pretty fast.

I was kind of brought up on a diet of beat ballads, but many of them make me cringe now, at least in a club context. Must say what an absolutely stunning record the Faye Crawford on RCA Victor is though: absolutely mesmeric and one I've just got to play again and again and again.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Funny that Mel Britt is thought of as a slowie: the percussion and bassline are actually pretty fast.

Yep! quite right about Mel Britt, also The Tams "Hey girl don't bother me" is actually a bit of a stompa come to think of it now.

Martin

p.s. still think Tony Clarke's "Entertainer" is only about 12.5 b.p.m. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Martin, can i get some of woteva your on next time im in Bed's

Danny

:thumbsup:

For you Danny, anything you require mate! :thumbsup:

Martin

p.s. say a big hello to Frank for me won't ya?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert