Why Do I Get All The Thickos And Know It Alls?

Pete S

Anyone who has been enjoying the video clips, could I ask one of you to make a response to this tw*t who is having a go at me for daring to say that Otis Redding made a northern soul track. He is insisting that because Redding was from the South, he could not be a northern soul artist. God they wind me up so much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dWG25YI47Y#GU5U2spHI_4

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest martinsbox

Anyone who has been enjoying the video clips, could I ask one of you to make a response to this tw*t who is having a go at me for daring to say that Otis Redding made a northern soul track. He is insisting that because Redding was from the South, he could not be a northern soul artist. God they wind me up so much!

Pete have you ever thought of talking to a brick wall? You might just have a little more chance of making it understand!!! Is that bloke totally thick . . . or what???? :lol:

Martin

Social source share

Ask him to come argue with us on soulsource yes.gif these sufners eh,know nowt shades.gif we`ll put him right,or confuse him to death :lol:

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Ask him to come argue with us on soulsource yes.gif these sufners eh,know nowt shades.gif we`ll put him right,or confuse him to death :lol:

What would he be like after a few pints of British beer? It confuses me.

Martin

Social source share

He's at it again.

"Northern Soul is a totally meaningless designation. That the records were played in Britain has no bearing on how they should be classified. Northern Soul typically refers to obscure records played by collectors and enthusiasts.

Otis Redding wasn't obscure. And if you were to describe him to a newbie, you'd start by saying that he and others popularized a gritty sound - Southern Soul. That his records may have been played in England is immaterial."

Social source share

He's at it again.

"Northern Soul is a totally meaningless designation. That the records were played in Britain has no bearing on how they should be classified. Northern Soul typically refers to obscure records played by collectors and enthusiasts.

Otis Redding wasn't obscure. And if you were to describe him to a newbie, you'd start by saying that he and others popularized a gritty sound - Southern Soul. That his records may have been played in England is immaterial."

Why do you argue with them - you might as well stop someone at random in the street.... :lol:shades.gifyes.gif

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Personally think its a case of both sides being right - just cos they don't understand the term 'northern soul' doesn't make them thick.......blessed, but not thick...... :lol:

Girf

I think their blessed compass is wrong. We know which way our hearts lay.

Martin

Social source share

i take it you are "inner calm" Pete ,which is a misnomer itself :lol: maybe you should tell himif it wasnt for the slave trade there'd be no soul southern or northern ,but since he's a prick tell him to f*** off ,like you normally do
Social source share

Now I know how moderators feel! I don't like that guy shouting his mouth off about something he knows absolutely nothing about, but it's nice to see people giving him what for, but I've removed a few of his comments - the ones with the f and c words in, can't see the point. Anyway I'm going to ban the c*nt in a minute.

Social source share

the original comment was genuine confusion, and totally understandable, the later argumentative bloke is just being that - he obviously knows what Northern Soul is, and has a grudge against it for some reason. i'm guessing he's British because of bits like mentioning 'scrubbers from Stoke' and so on.

he's just someone who doesn't (and won't ever) understand the importance of all stages in the chain of any soul and dance music - from the songwriting and performance, the arrangement, production, to radio deejays (at the time) and record collectors, club deejays and dancers in the period since.

it's his 'rockist' attitude - that artists are somehow separate and above everyone else involved - that is unlikely to change. while it's ultimately the performance which gives records that 'certain something', they seem to forget about the songwriting, the arrangement, the studio band, the producer, and so on. and the records were meant for nightclub and radio play in many cases, so that had a huge effect on the sound and development of the music, and once you realise all that, then extending it to see that the championing of rare or forgotten sounds in the period since is important too is quite an easy step to make.

edit - that's a long post, but i've seen this attitude a lot in various places and various forms, and while it seems a bit irrelevant, that's ultimately what it boils down to. i can maybe see his point on this clip, since it's a famous track, and not really associated with Northern Soul, but certainly not worth arguing about, and that's his strange grudge coming out

Edited by bongolia
Social source share

Nonsensical fanboy designation created by listeners who think their contribution to the music is as great as that of the actual creators.

ROFLPMSL!! I like him!!! :P:D:yes:

Social source share

Now I know how moderators feel! I don't like that guy shouting his mouth off about something he knows absolutely nothing about, but it's nice to see people giving him what for, but I've removed a few of his comments - the ones with the f and c words in, can't see the point. Anyway I'm going to ban the c*nt in a minute.

Oh don't! What will I do this evening otherwise? :D

Social source share

the original comment was genuine confusion, and totally understandable, the later argumentative bloke is just being that - he obviously knows what Northern Soul is, and has a grudge against it for some reason. i'm guessing he's British because of bits like mentioning 'scrubbers from Stoke' and so on.

he's just someone who doesn't (and won't ever) understand the importance of all stages in the chain of any soul and dance music - from the songwriting and performance, the arrangement, production, to radio deejays (at the time) and record collectors, club deejays and dancers in the period since.

it's his 'rockist' attitude - that artists are somehow separate and above everyone else involved - that is unlikely to change. while it's ultimately the performance which gives records that 'certain something', they seem to forget about the songwriting, the arrangement, the studio band, the producer, and so on. and the records were meant for nightclub and radio play in many cases, so that had a huge effect on the sound and development of the music, and once you realise all that, then extending it to see that the championing of rare or forgotten sounds in the period since is important too is quite an easy step to make.

edit - that's a long post, but i've seen this attitude a lot in various places and various forms, and while it seems a bit irrelevant, that's ultimately what it boils down to. i can maybe see his point on this clip, since it's a famous track, and not really associated with Northern Soul, but certainly not worth arguing about, and that's his strange grudge coming out

The reason it's happened is because you have to tag your uploads so I always tag mine northern soul rhythm blues motown, a catch all thing so that anyone searching can usually find the clip. One guy took this to mean that I was classifying Otis as a "northern soul artist" and thats why it's kicked off. I'm finding it quite interesting/amusing/shocking and well done you lot for joining in, but the most frustrating part is not being able to make people like that understand what it actually is all about. I won't ban him for now then.

Social source share

Are you registered on YouTube Del? You need to be :D

Yes Babes, but for some reason, I cant seem to get my response on there, my computer is running a bit strange at the mo, bit like me,!!!!!!Delxx

Social source share

The reason it's happened is because you have to tag your uploads so I always tag mine northern soul rhythm blues motown, a catch all thing so that anyone searching can usually find the clip. One guy took this to mean that I was classifying Otis as a "northern soul artist" and thats why it's kicked off. I'm finding it quite interesting/amusing/shocking and well done you lot for joining in, but the most frustrating part is not being able to make people like that understand what it actually is all about. I won't ban him for now then.

No Pete. let him give his arse a chance to think eh!!Delxx

Social source share

Morning Pete

Won't add to the debate 'cos its pretty much all been said.

But you tag 'inner calm'......is that some sort of personal challenge?

Col.

Social source share

Hi Pete.

The guy's obviously from a different planet.

Pseudo intellectual psychobabble ' examplar sine qua non ', took me ages to find out what it meant :unsure:

And as for masturbatory wank... in my experience it's one or the other, not both at the same time :thumbsup:

Ignore him...I'd love to see this bit's you've removed though

Kev

Social source share

Morning Pete

Won't add to the debate 'cos its pretty much all been said.

But you tag 'inner calm'......is that some sort of personal challenge?

Col.

It's a very long story Col.

When I was stuck in Hastings, my missus had f*cked off, I was told my daughter didn't want to see me and to be honest, I was at the end of my tether and getting extremely emotional, anyway I had two people who used to make 100 mile round trips to keep me company and generally keep an eye on me, one was Barry James and the other was Janine, and one day Janine bought me this present, it was called The Little Box Of Inner Calm and contained basically stuff to help one calm down and relax e.g. oils, joss sticks, a little bell and so on. When I joined one particular forum you had to have a nickname and I couldn't think of anything so the inner calm box was on the table and I took it off that. It was meant to be ironic as I was more like an unexploded bomb at the time.

By the same token, my ebay seller name mayfairmenthol came from a packet of fags someone had left on my coffee table. Good job they didn't leave a rampant rabbit.

Social source share

The reason it's happened is because you have to tag your uploads so I always tag mine northern soul rhythm blues motown, a catch all thing so that anyone searching can usually find the clip.

yeah i guessed that, but not having uploaded to youtube wasn't sure... that was just my opinion of why he'll never understand. he'll never have respect for music scenes and so on - the type who just thinks 'DJs just play other people's records'. known loads like him in real life and on the net...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert