D.i.s.c.o ?

Guest wAvy

Bazza I was counting on you being at the Attic on Sat night, cant you give the wedding reception a miss? :rolleyes:

I'll have to save Hector Rivera & The COD's for next time then

Have a good day :shades:

Hi Steve..I wish..but she would kill me....would have liked to have been there.keep them tunes warm..ill deffo see you next time

Bazza

Social source share

• Replies 129
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just sat and read whole of thread :shades: For when you return

Hiya Wavy,

Always nice to have new faces join the scene - not sure maybe we even chatted Satuday :D You say you know a Disco sound as you were brought up with Disco in the 70's - so I was therefore surprised at your statement Quote: Lifeline said on the tin what it said, but definately did not say disco :rolleyes: together with your example of the, only disco title I know is: The Lovelites - Get him of my conscience - leads me to believe you have not enough experience of the music to make such sweeping statements and unfair criticism of a top quality venue as LL. :D

This is not mean't to be said in a patronizing way, but you do need to learn to walk before you run in anything in life - this only comes with time and by learning and listening to others. It's great you want to get into the scene more and sure a lot on here would gladly help with any questions you may have, but maybe asking questions and reading info is the way to go first - rather than coming on ss making incorrect statements about venues, records etc :D

People can handle what your saying though you must be able to accept criticism if the statement you made was incorrect or unfair IOPO. No one know's everything nor ever will - just have fun learning and enjoying the scene :D

Karen

Not convinced this isn't a wind up :D

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Just sat and read whole of thread :shades: For when you return

Hiya Wavy,

Always nice to have new faces join the scene - not sure maybe we even chatted Satuday :D You say you know a Disco sound as you were brought up with Disco in the 70's - so I was therefore surprised at your statement Quote: Lifeline said on the tin what it said, but definately did not say disco :rolleyes: together with your example of the, only disco title I know is: The Lovelites - Get him of my conscience - leads me to believe you have not enough experience of the music to make such sweeping statements and unfair criticism of a top quality venue as LL. :D

This is not mean't to be said in a patronizing way, but you do need to learn to walk before you run in anything in life - this only comes with time and by learning and listening to others. It's great you want to get into the scene more and sure a lot on here would gladly help with any questions you may have, but maybe asking questions and reading info is the way to go first - rather than coming on ss making incorrect statements about venues, records etc :D

People can handle what your saying though you must be able to accept criticism if the statement you made was incorrect or unfair IOPO. No one know's everything nor ever will - just have fun learning and enjoying the scene :D

Karen

Not convinced this isn't a wind up :D

Karen, you say "it's always nice to have new faces join the scene" but the rest of your post is typical of what puts a lot of new faces off IMO.

Why should anybody have to listen to others and learn about the scene? What's wrong with just going to an event and enjoying it, as Wavy said he/she did?

And as a general comment, not specifically to you, why are some people so touchy about any perceived criticism of Lifeline? When all said and done, there is no event which suits everybody.

Social source share

Karen, you say "it's always nice to have new faces join the scene" but the rest of your post is typical of what puts a lot of new faces off IMO.

Why should anybody have to listen to others and learn about the scene? What's wrong with just going to an event and enjoying it, as Wavy said he/she did?

And as a general comment, not specifically to you, why are some people so touchy about any perceived criticism of Lifeline? When all said and done, there is no event which suits everybody.

:rolleyes:

Social source share

No one gettting touchy just find it amazing that folk have a dig at venues and dj's, not just at Lifeline but in general, for playing anything beyond Dec 31st 1969, especially when they advertise the fact they are going to play it.

I personally think they don't have a right to complain when the event does what it advertises, and again I'm not just referring to Lifeline, I'm talking in general. People know what they are going to get when they go to most venues as most venues advertise their policy and most who go soulin' every week know what most DJ's play, so why complain? :rolleyes:

Just go for a p*ss, go to the bar or have a chat with someone, go in the record bar when a record not to your liking is played, someone else is probably having the time of their life to these records.

Many events advertise their policy as "across the board" yet folk still complain that they played 70's :shades:

Social source share

Hello Dave,

I mean it when I say it is always nice to have new faces join the scene, appreciate your opinion bout my post, don't see what is typical bout my post that puts new faces off :unsure:

IMO the only way to learn and understand something that interests you is learn all you can about it - exactly the reason for ss isn't it :yes: anything you do in life is the same. How can you form or give opinion's, learn artist's, titles, labels, styles etc without learning - Nothing wrong with going to an event and enjoying it - but starting a thread with D I S CO and several references to LL which were unjust comments - isn't just going to an event and enjoying it is it whistling.gif

Personally I've no problem with Just criticisim of any sort to any event - but feel entitled to comment about something if I can't see any fact or justice to it. Personally I'm not touchy about any thing to do with LL, is nothing to do with me, yes it is my favourite venue and caters for all my music tastes, but had comments being said and missed placed made about another event I went to, I would comment just the same.

Dunno, maybe best to sit back and feel your feet and get used to stuff before jumping in with both feet, was the point I tried to make, certainly nothing else intended wink.gif

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

eh up chalky,

i didn't make the lifeline this time so i can't comment.

would you be able to guess, as a percentage, the amount of 70s stuff that was played?

for example would you say it was 50/50?

also, do you have a game plan at all with regards to the music policy? for example would you like the dj's to play more 60's or does it not matter?

i know you will probably say that the dj's do not get told what to play. however, i reckon you must have some sort of ideal in your head as i am sure you would be concerned if not one 60s record was played all night.

i reckon your comments would be useful to the thread.

i personally like it 80/20 in favour of 60s

Shane

whistling.gif

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

eh up chalky,

i didn't make the lifeline this time so i can't comment.

would you be able to guess, as a percentage, the amount of 70s stuff that was played?

for example would you say it was 50/50?

also, do you have a game plan at all with regards to the music policy? for example would you like the dj's to play more 60's or does it not matter?

i know you will probably say that the dj's do not get told what to play. however, i reckon you must have some sort of ideal in your head as i am sure you would be concerned if not one 60s record was played all night.

i reckon your comments would be useful to the thread.

i personally like it 80/20 in favour of 60s

Shane

whistling.gif

Dawn Carmen from what I heard mostly 60's/northern persuassion, some crossover, I myself one 70's rest 60's I think, Andy, Mick and Butch biggest percent were 60's. Dave already posted he played 7 or 8 % moderrn I think, Cliff across the board as did Sam. I would say it weren't too far off the 80/20 you mention at most 70/30, certainly no where near the 50/50 mentioned elsewhere.

There is no game plan with what the DJ's play, just told to please themselves and to play what they like. I think the only ideal Andy has in his head when he assembled the DJ team, and selects the DJ's is that they will express themselves and keep the music as fresh as possible.

We all understand that you cannot go obscure every record and that there is a dancefloor to be filled but imagination is what is wanted and asked for, not just the same old same you hear week in week out although it is accepted that you will hear some of these.

I know the residents and guest alike love Djing at Lifeline purely because of this policy. mI think the grin on Dave Thorley's face said it all Saturday night :unsure:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Pehaps to learn what it is they are talking about, and avoid making remarks that, if they stay on the scene long enough, they will be acutely embarrased about making, in a few years time :yes:

When I first started going to venues in the early 70's I dare'nt voice an opinion for years, because the guys I used to go with were older, Wheel & Torch boys, and new their stuff. Kept my mouth shut 'til I knew what it was I was talking about. whistling.gif Lots of 'bandwagon' jumpers came onto the scene mid 70's wigan period, two weeks in, knew it all, "Divvys' as they were known, foot firmly in mouth everytime they opened it wink.gif Nothing wrong with going to a venue and enjoying it, just don't start voiceing ill informed opinions after visiting only a few venues. Makes you look foolish IMHO.

Like my good chum Karen said, STILL not convinced this is not a wind up! :unsure:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

No one gettting touchy just find it amazing that folk have a dig at venues and dj's, not just at Lifeline but in general, for playing anything beyond Dec 31st 1969, especially when they advertise the fact they are going to play it.

I personally think they don't have a right to complain when the event does what it advertises, and again I'm not just referring to Lifeline, I'm talking in general. People know what they are going to get when they go to most venues as most venues advertise their policy and most who go soulin' every week know what most DJ's play, so why complain? :yes:

Just go for a p*ss, go to the bar or have a chat with someone, go in the record bar when a record not to your liking is played, someone else is probably having the time of their life to these records.

Many events advertise their policy as "across the board" yet folk still complain that they played 70's :unsure:

Why shouldn't some one have the right to 'complain' far too many people want telling how great every thing is all the time, got to expect a bit of genral critisism, nobody has complained about Lifeline IMO, i stated on the thread what a great night i though it was how ever a few too many 70's for my liking, now i do like seventys but some are too discoy for me, and this is what the thread is about disco records being played, which i wish some people would accept the fact that they are purly disco records nothing more nothing less, i've herd all kinds of disco records, so i think i qualify to judge when a disco record is or not, and im sorry yes there was quite a few proper disco records played at lifeline, doesnt make it a bad night, yes people do enjoy them (god knows why :)whistling.gif ) alot of people are quick to jump on some R&B and call it R&R/C&W or clip clop music ect, and you your self dismiss records like The Oxford Knights, and say how its sh*te white music, so whats the differnce in saying disco is sh*te, and IMO i have a right to call it disco when it simply is, because i can accept that some of the things i like are white with not much soul, some of the R&B i like is Rock and Rolly with less soul, but soon as some one says disco is cr*p because it gets played at a 'progressive' venue its looked down appon.......

Rant over yes.gif

Social source share

Hello Dave,

I mean it when I say it is always nice to have new faces join the scene, appreciate your opinion bout my post, don't see what is typical bout my post that puts new faces off :unsure:

IMO the only way to learn and understand something that interests you is learn all you can about it - exactly the reason for ss isn't it :yes: anything you do in life is the same. How can you form or give opinion's, learn artist's, titles, labels, styles etc without learning - Nothing wrong with going to an event and enjoying it - but starting a thread with D I S CO and several references to LL which were unjust comments - isn't just going to an event and enjoying it is it whistling.gif

Personally I've no problem with Just criticisim of any sort to any event - but feel entitled to comment about something if I can't see any fact or justice to it. Personally I'm not touchy about any thing to do with LL, is nothing to do with me, yes it is my favourite venue and caters for all my music tastes, but had comments being said and missed placed made about another event I went to, I would comment just the same.

Dunno, maybe best to sit back and feel your feet and get used to stuff before jumping in with both feet, was the point I tried to make, certainly nothing else intended :)

Karen

Yes, I accept we are generally a bunch of anoraks on SS. yes.gif

What I meant was why should we expect everyone to want to learn the minutiae? It can be off-putting to many.

As for the "disco" comment, its pretty subjective. As can be seen from this thread everybody has a slightly different take on what constitutes disco... same goes for other terms like modern, R&B etc

Social source share

Why shouldn't some one have the right to 'complain' far too many people want telling how great every thing is all the time, got to expect a bit of genral critisism, nobody has complained about Lifeline IMO, i stated on the thread what a great night i though it was how ever a few too many 70's for my liking, now i do like seventys but some are too discoy for me, and this is what the thread is about disco records being played, which i wish some people would accept the fact that they are purly disco records nothing more nothing less, i've herd all kinds of disco records, so i think i qualify to judge when a disco record is or not, and im sorry yes there was quite a few proper disco records played at lifeline, doesnt make it a bad night, yes people do enjoy them (god knows why wink.gifwhistling.gif ) alot of people are quick to jump on some R&B and call it R&R/C&W or clip clop music ect, and you your self dismiss records like The Oxford Knights, and say how its sh*te white music, so whats the differnce in saying disco is sh*te, and IMO i have a right to call it disco when it simply is, because i can accept that some of the things i like are white with not much soul, some of the R&B i like is Rock and Rolly with less soul, but soon as some one says disco is cr*p because it gets played at a 'progressive' venue its looked down appon.......

Rant over :yes:

Yes they have Baz, read wavy's comments on Lifeline and then read this topic, started by wavy not long after origianl comments, even admits down to some of stuff played Saturday night.

I've nothing against criticism if it's constructive but it's hardly consructive when a venue is only doing what it says on the tin so to speak, therefore IMO the punter has no reason to complain.

I've nothing against white soul recordings either just some :) I certainly don't come on here slagging a venues policy, how's it run or how it should do things better, was taught if nowt good to say about someone then say nowt.

Soul records from the 60's to the present day (whatever era) have always been played. Folk should live and let live a little, like I said someone is probably enjoying the record you don't like and maybe later they don't like a record you like :unsure:

Maybe some of the critics of any event or any genre of music should start their own promotion, see how easy it is yes.gif They can also hear just what they want to hear all night then and f*ck anyone else :D

Social source share

Pehaps to learn what it is they are talking about, and avoid making remarks that, if they stay on the scene long enough, they will be acutely embarrased about making, in a few years time wink.gif

When I first started going to venues in the early 70's I dare'nt voice an opinion for years, because the guys I used to go with were older, Wheel & Torch boys, and new their stuff. Kept my mouth shut 'til I knew what it was I was talking about. :unsure: Lots of 'bandwagon' jumpers came onto the scene mid 70's wigan period, two weeks in, knew it all, "Divvys' as they were known, foot firmly in mouth everytime they opened it :yes: Nothing wrong with going to a venue and enjoying it, just don't start voiceing ill informed opinions after visiting only a few venues. Makes you look foolish IMHO.

Like my good chum Karen said, STILL not convinced this is not a wind up! yes.gif

Trev, just because the likes of you and I had to keep our traps shut back in the days of rationing, doesn't mean that people have to do the same today whistling.gif

Who should we check with to see if our opinions are "ill informed"? :)

Social source share

Why shouldn't some one have the right to 'complain' far too many people want telling how great every thing is all the time, got to expect a bit of genral critisism, nobody has complained about Lifeline IMO, i stated on the thread what a great night i though it was how ever a few too many 70's for my liking, now i do like seventys but some are too discoy for me, and this is what the thread is about disco records being played, which i wish some people would accept the fact that they are purly disco records nothing more nothing less, i've herd all kinds of disco records, so i think i qualify to judge when a disco record is or not, and im sorry yes there was quite a few proper disco records played at lifeline, doesnt make it a bad night, yes people do enjoy them (god knows why :yes:whistling.gif ) alot of people are quick to jump on some R&B and call it R&R/C&W or clip clop music ect, and you your self dismiss records like The Oxford Knights, and say how its sh*te white music, so whats the differnce in saying disco is sh*te, and IMO i have a right to call it disco when it simply is, because i can accept that some of the things i like are white with not much soul, some of the R&B i like is Rock and Rolly with less soul, but soon as some one says disco is cr*p because it gets played at a 'progressive' venue its looked down appon.......

Rant over wink.gif

That seems like fair comment to me :unsure:

Social source share

Yes they have Baz, read wavy's comments on Lifeline and then read this topic, started by wavy not long after origianl comments, even admits down to some of stuff played Saturday night.

I've nothing against criticism if it's constructive but it's hardly consructive when a venue is only doing what it says on the tin so to speak, therefore IMO the punter has no reason to complain.

Yep guess your right on that, but dont think they were posted deliberately to put lifeline down whistling.gif

Take a look from Wavys perspective, she was slightly disalusioned (is that how you spell it :yes: ) upon hearing some disco records, when she is used to going to predominantely 60's venues (i take it anyway) so i would imagen she thought blimey whats this disco being played for, if you see what i mean , dont think i've explained what i set out to say very well there.

dont want to go on too much about lifeline on this thread, but i thought the last one at the fox had the right mix of 60's 70's for me any way, i might have a little moan every now and then about it, but irrispective of that i still think its one of the best nighters in the country i wouldn't support it other wise :unsure:

Social source share

I've nothing against white soul recordings either just some :yes: I certainly don't come on here slagging a venues policy, how's it run or how it should do things better, was taught if nowt good to say about someone then say nowt.

Soul records from the 60's to the present day (whatever era) have always been played. Folk should live and let live a little, like I said someone is probably enjoying the record you don't like and maybe later they don't like a record you like whistling.gif

Maybe some of the critics of any event or any genre of music should start their own promotion, see how easy it is :unsure: They can also hear just what they want to hear all night then and f*ck anyone else wink.gif

Chalky, you are right with your "live and let live" comment, but I haven't seen any post that I would classify as "slagging off", and I haven't read that anyone failed to enjoy the night.

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

Some long served stalwart members of the scene are being forced here to justify playing

disco i.e."because its got soulful content."

Why not just say "because its a good disco track" cause we all know there are some.

The scene has accepted everything else over the years.And then others can say" heres a pile of white poppy kak followed by some CW/r&b"

just a thought......................Syd(discoier than thou)Bridge. whistling.gif

Social source share

Well think it's all been interesting. Also shows this little old scene of ours has a lot of life still left in it, long may it continue.

Me, love it all and all the differing people I meet, even if we don't always agree musically. Still was a top night at Lifeline, as was the Orwell and You know you got soul. What ever your musical taste, don't give up on it and keep fighting you particular corner, when you stop, then we're really in trouble whistling.gif

Social source share

Chalky, you are right with your "live and let live" comment, but I haven't seen any post that I would classify as "slagging off", and I haven't read that anyone failed to enjoy the night.

the slagging off comment is just generalizing, not specifically attributed to this topic, should have made clearer in post.

Social source share

Trev, just because the likes of you and I had to keep our traps shut back in the days of rationing, doesn't mean that people have to do the same today :unsure:

Who should we check with to see if our opinions are "ill informed"? :yes:

Dave, think if your starting out on the scene or in anything for that matter, for a while, most would ask others in that field for a bit of info etc, before they became so outspoken on a subject they obviously at the moment have little experience of. Nothing wrong with been outspoken - always have been myself whistling.gif Before you take that the wrong way - for example wouldn't go to an art gallary and comment about artists/paintings I knew nothing about. Yes, would say I like/don't like picture etc, but not make detrimental comments against that art gallary if showing what advertised. Sure you know what I'm saying, your just looking for a mischievous debate eh wink.gif

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Guest claude rains

is this northern or disco.

ricky

Oh god, can't resist anymore.

Northern as most know was termed I think by the late great Mr Dave Godin.The term came about over thirty years ago, unfortunately like this argument, it has since stuck like a broken record, excuse the pun.

Disco was termed by journalists around the early seventies, describing a new music played mostly when it first started at gay clubs, later mixed clubs like New Yorks, Studio 54.

It was given the term Disco, because soul music was thought of at the time as old fashoined.

At about the same time in England, kids up north some coming from poor working class backgrounds, dead end jobs and needing a form of escape, started playing old soul music now old hat and calling it Northern Soul, originally probably just called Old Soul.

The kids down south were getting into funk, bourgeois early rock like Led Zepplin or just being old hippies.

Though in reality Disco is 70's soul music, it is now and has been in my opinion a derogatory term of use.

I think the word Northern Soul is still valid though cannot be used to desribe a type soul music which it was originally termed for.That is unless we forget about progress and all decide to live in a bubble.

I know its a mad idea, but why don't we just call it SOUL Music, or is that not elitist enough for some.

I love and have loved GOOD SOUL music across the board for many years and am passionate about it. Though I never forget that it is also for some just a basic form of escapism, to lose yourself in another world. To be able to get away for a few hours from the worries of bad jobs and bills, or are some people on soul source to middle class to understand that premise.

P.S. Excuse the use of run on sentences.

Social source share

Its just another soulier than thou post IMO.

Not completely sure why you've quoted me there Baz, I'm NOT trying to say I have more soul, for liking 70's as well as 60's than a 60's only fan. It just gets my goat when 60's only fans label everything recorded after 31 Dec' '69 as disco! That is obviously wrong, yet we hear it time and again. I'm not too sure on the word "soulier" either!
thumbsup.gif

Cheers Paul Woosnam

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Not participating in this thread anymore, seems somewhat unimportant, and rather pointless arguing over it, when the future of SS is in the balance. Lets ALL just 'agree to disagree' and move on 'eh :thumbsup:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Not participating in this thread anymore, seems somewhat unimportant, and rather pontless arguing over it, when the future of SS is in the balance. Lets ALL just 'agree to disagree' and move on 'eh :lol:

Spoil sport - you know you love it really Trev :lol: Part of all the fun surely :thumbsup:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Some long served stalwart members of the scene are being forced here to justify playing

disco i.e."because its got soulful content."

Why not just say "because its a good disco track" cause we all know there are some.

The scene has accepted everything else over the years.And then others can say" heres a pile of white poppy kak followed by some CW/r&b"

just a thought......................Syd(discoier than thou)Bridge.
:lol:

Exactly! Couldn't 'ave put it better myself Sid
:thumbsup:

Nice one

Cheers Paco

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Not completely sure why you've quoted me there Baz, I'm NOT trying to say I have more soul, for liking 70's as well as 60's than a 60's only fan
. It just gets my goat when 60's only fans label everything recorded after 31 Dec' '69 as disco! That is obviously wrong, yet we hear it time and again. I'm not too sure on the word "soulier" either!
:lol:

Cheers Paul Woosnam

Trying to remember back, i quoted you for pointing out some one elses post that's why i mentioned the soulier (i think your right im not sure on the word either :lol: ) than thou post was definately not aimed at you, i remember that much :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

D......I'M DELIRIOUS......I ....I'M INCOHERENT............S......I'M SPACED OUT........C.....I'M COMATOSE.............O................I'M OFF ME HEAD..............OOOOOHHHH...OOOOHHHH OOOOOOHHH !!!!! .....JUST ANOTHER WEEKEND ON THE NORTHERN SCENE.............ALREADY LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEXT...........BED !!! WHAT'S THAT..............SPOKE WITH 'CHAMPION JACK DUPREE' ONCE..WHAT A CHARACTER...HE SAID 'I'VE BOOZED, DOPED, WHORED...AND I'M SURE AS HELL GONNA MAKE SURE I DON'T DIE OF NOTHING.

WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME !! :thumbsup:

Edited by bearsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert