D.i.s.c.o ?

Guest wAvy

So most of the 70's stuff played at wigan including these are modern records not oldies ?

Benny Troy I want to give you Tommorrow

MVP's Turning My heartbeat up

Eloise Laws love factory

Sister Sledge don't go through no changes

James Fountain Seven day lover

Reggie Garner Hotline

The list is endless but i'm sure these are more recognised as Northern Soul than Modern :D

Erm, yeah but no but..now your splitting hairs..... :D:D

Bazza

Social source share

• Replies 129
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Its just another soulier than thou post IMO.

its always the same the 'all era loving' look down on those who are predominantly 60's based soul lovers, me i do like 70's but some of the 'disco' that is spun is usless and thats my opinion, so on a forum all about opinions on the 'northern' scene i voice that opinion, makes me laugh when you get the preachers telling you to open your minds/ears and love soul music, well heres news i do, but i like what i like and disco is tripe! oh im a poet too :D

now dont get me wrong here but some one realatively new to the scene, has gone to a couple of do's and noticed that there was a bit too much disco played, not all the 70's but some of it, now that speaks volumes to me!

Yes some of them fill the floor thats great, but no one excepts that what we are clearly hearing is disco, people may find it hard to see, because they think they are soul fans (and yes they are still soul fans) but just because its spun at a progressive venue, dont mean it is soul.....

I can admit i like some 60's sounds that aren't proper soul records, bont bother me how much soul a record has got as long as i like it.

Yes I DO like all eras of music The date of its recording is irrelevant to me - good music is good music full stop.

As for being "soulier than thou" - this forum is all about giving opinions - whether you agree with them or not is your worry.

BTW tripe & hike don't rhyme - not even in a bad disco record. :D:D

Edited by epic
Social source share

Why have you put your question to me and then quoted Baz as if it were me replying, apart from to make yourself look a tw*t?

I didn't Pete - the first posting started to go through and as it did, the site went down. thats how it appeared when it came back. I don't pretend to understand it.

And as for the twat...well you should know. :D

Social source share

Why isn't The Carstairs a northern record?..because it is an over produced 70's tune ..easy.

same goes for "Harold melvin - Prayin"

I am easy to please though..I like 60's and R&B with a bit of modern ,so I am happy to go to most venues( apart from all modern type do's)

BTW I was mostly a cleethorpes pier lad

Bazza

:D:D

I'm not the biggest fan of the Carstairs, but how can a 30 year old record be modern? Do you refer to decimal currency as "modern money"? :D

Social source share

:D:D

I'm not the biggest fan of the Carstairs, but how can a 30 year old record be modern? Do you refer to decimal currency as "modern money"? :D

IMHO.every thing from the early 70's to present day is "Modern" and will always be,because the late 50's to early 70's had a gritty rawness,the 70's onward tunes have a "modern" highly polished over produced sound..the term "modern" has I think more to do with the production of the tune, not so much the age of the tune..but you know this ,so why you asking :D:D

but a tune such as "Falcons - love look in her eyes" is an odd one ,cos it was produced I think in 1967 but not released till 1971 :D it is of course a oldie northern tune :D

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

IMHO.every thing from the early 70's to present day is "Modern" and will always be,because the late 50's to early 70's had a gritty rawness,the 70's onward tunes have a highly polished over produced sound..but you know this ,so why you asking :D:D

Bazza

Surely 'Modern' is just a term in the same way as 'Northern' is just a term and the same way 'Disco' is just a term.

Lets face it, the term 'Northern Soul' has always taken on board records that would be classed as 'Modern' in some circles and 'Disco' in others or 'Crossover' ,'Girl group', 'Jazz' or 'R & B ' , 'Latin'etc etc and has done for some time. Seems that Northern Soul is a pretty broad church in those terms. Of course there are those on the Modern scene that argue that a Modern Soul record has to be brand new which is kind of the same as arguing that a Northern soul record has to come from the 60's-- which kind of denies that there are records from all corners on the scene that get played in the different rooms on occasion.

As for disco in northern sets....still can't see more than one or two examples being mentioned.... :D

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Guest Trevski

it's all soul, isn't it, it's all black music.
minefield.............. :D

:D:D Northern soul, all soul, all black music? don't make me laugh! :D

Minefield Ken, more like WW3! ( places tin hat firmly on head, and ducks down in the trench!) :D

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Dave Thorley, sounds like a great set- the tracks I recognise anyway. And Rare Pleasure is Great - get off you arse, stop moaning and get stomping - thats my advice !

Black Nasty revival due ? Yes Please !

Next allnighter I'm requesting Leon Thomas - L.O.V.E.

Social source share

well, i'll throw my hat in the ring too.

Disco and Northern soul are easily recognisable and distinguishable by the soul fan. Its not a set criteria it's a feeling and mood.

for example tracks such as teddy prendergrass Do me, Sister sledge thinking of you, dina carrol aint no man and DJ genesis Tribute to betty wright are clearly disco records - anyone who cannot see that is blind to musical style and most probarbly tone deaf.

70's tracks such as fantastic johnny c, carstairs, eloise laws are 70's stylee northern soul - they have that angst, that 'feeling' that sound that tugs at your heart as opposed to just making your beer jump on the table.

There are then those which fall somewhere in-between - Harold melvyn where are all my friends, four tops i just cant get you out of my mind, holland dzier - new breed kinda woman. These are those where we think 'is this soulful enough to be called northern or not' in this case i would say yes they are but should be played out in moderation.

The acid test is that if you are going to play a record and you ask yourself 'is this disco' - it is and it shouldnt be allowed near a deck unless you are promoting the night as such.

I really think that most soul fans dont mind what other people like - the only reason that this debate rears its head is that they feel cheated.

Promoters of nights that feature this disco style continue to advertise their nights as 'Northern Soul' when it clearly is not a large part of the time.

I can see why they do this - because if they advertised that they were going to play disco music they wouldnt get anyone in. They wrap it up in the all consuming 'Nothern Soul' strapline knowing that soulies will come to their gig and hoping that it will attract a few that like the disco and will come back.

This is why this debate comes up again and again - Northern soulies feel cheated when they spend their time and money going to a gig advertised as 'Northern Soul Night' only to find that a significant part of the night is taken up with music that even a deaf mute would know is disco.

These poromoters that do this know exactly what they are doing - so they play SOME northern soul, maybe 50% - but that's not what they told the soulies it would be. Playing some lets them continue to fool themselves that they are running a northern soul night when in fact it isnt.

If you want to stop this kind of debate then advertise your gig for what it is. Crossover, Modern, Disco whatever you want to call it. But don't call it Northern Soul.

We advertise our gig as 75% oldies Minimum - that means we will play mostly northern soul with a sprinkling of the 70's, crossover tunes - basically a northern soul night that caters lightly for the modern fans but that advertsises as a northern soul night and is what it says on the tin.

Northern Soul Trading Standards Department :wave:

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge
YYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!
Thanks for writing the above Chris ,I was too busy doing the above :wave:
Social source share

D - Decidedly, I - Incredibly, S - Shitty, C - (and) Crappy oh ohhhh ohhhhhhhhhhh

i've been to a couple of nights lately and for some reason they are playing disco music! now wtf's all that bout? either: -

a.) i'm at a 70's disco revival venue by mistake or

b.) i'm at a northern soul venue but they are playing disco music!

wAvy

Maybe you should read the flyers and take note of the dj's that are playing for your pleasure, one of the venues I believe you are referring to advertises quality soul from the 60's and 70's and thats more or less what you got :wave: Why moan after the event when you know full well what you are going to get :wave:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Dodger

let the discussion begin... :wave:

What actually is there to discuss? If somebody is daft enough and that regimented in their appreciation of music to make a posting like this in the first place, no amount of discussion is likely to make any difference to their way of thinking. :wave::D

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

:D my, my what a commotion i've caused! :wave:

Yes you are quite right Pete, didn't mean to be patronising, but you didn't just pop up from nowhere and start bandying the word 'disco' about!

Ok, so you get some dodgy stuff too, but not all 60's played are that hot either. But to class it as disco, :wave:

Go to venues where it's not played, if it's not your cuppa! :D Why go to venues where it is played, and enjoyed, and then slag it off?

Lifeline says on the tin "Quality 60's & 70's" and you get what it says on the tin, so don't moan when you open it and find the contents not to your taste, that's all I'm saying

hiya Trevski,

perhaps you didn't mean to sound patronising but it's how you came across anyway. btw, i didn't just 'pop up' from nowhere - i've been on this planet for 32 (nearly 33) years now thx! i was born in the 70's - probably heard it on every radio station as i was growing up and so i think i know what a disco tune sounds like when i hear one.

i go to these venues because, as you quoted me saying that "i've only been to a few of these venues" - your quite right - i have only been to a few before. therefore, how am i supposed to find out whether i like em or not if i don't 'give em a go'? yea, sure, Lifeline said on the tin what it said, but it definatly did not say disco.

now don't get me wrong, i wasn't disappionted with the night and am in no way trying to slag off it off - infact i had a really gr8 time it's just that this is a forum, and it's a forum for discussion and so that's what i'm doing. discussing the fact that i don't like the disco tunes that i heard.

i don't know what 'they' were called that night - infact whenever i go to a venue there's only about 2, maybe 3 records i have actually heard before, and i can usually tell if it's a 60's tune or a 70's tune just off how they sound. i can definitely tell when it's a (dirty word coming up) 'disco' tune.

example - the only 'disco' title i know is: - the lovelites - get him off my conscience.

i actually like disco music - when i'm at a disco venue.

infact i like the whole spectrum of music from death metal to classical. just looking at my cd collection would confirm that, BUT if i went to watch Metallica and they suddenly threw in a bob Marley tune and then a bit l8r on a UB40 tune i'd think - "well kewl tunes but i'm here to do some serious headbanging not to dance to reggae music!

sure some would 'go with the flow' and 'av the crack' as it were, but i think i would leave the gig wondering what was going on and feeling a bit puzzled myself.

anyway i prolly won't hear your views now til next week as im off on my jollies!

no hard feelings anyone cos i don't have any to anyone - say what you like it's your opinon just as that was mine! :D:D

Social source share

Guest rachel

DJ genesis Tribute to betty wright are clearly disco records

Surely not :wave: Mind you I don't really care what it is, as long as I never hear it again :D

I think some of you are being a little unfair, this was posted by someone who's fairly new to the scene (not, for once, someone trying to wind people up :wave: ) and obviously has got into it with a background of the 60s side of things. It can take a while to get your head round all the different styles that the scene encompasses (I know it did for me!).. some people get to like a wide range of soul, and some stick to one style.

Wavy - one thing I would question about your post - you say "the idea was to encourage peeps like myself to get 'into' the scene not drive me away from it!!! " but there will be people who are just as encouraged by the more 'disco' sounding tracks because it's closer to what they're used to in the way of mainstream soul. As many people have said all you can really do is try out different venues until you find out where plays what you like - and then go there and places that advertise a similar policy.

Edited by rachel
Social source share

What actually is there to discuss? If somebody is daft enough and that regimented in their appreciation of music to make a posting like this in the first place, no amount of discussion is likely to make any difference to their way of thinking. :wave::wave:

well you must think there is something to discuss or you wouldn't of posted now would you Dodger? and as for me being regimented please read my above post 7th paragraph i believe?

wAvy

Social source share

IMHO.every thing from the early 70's to present day is "Modern" and will always be

Bazza

So Bazza are you saying that the like`s of,

"Lou Pride-I`m com`un home in the morning-Suemi"

is a Modern/Disco record because that was recorded early 70s,71/72 :D:D:wave:

And why is it that it`s nearly allways 60s Northern fans that come on here and moan about the

"crapy Modern/Disco records" being played at venues,but you don`t see many of

the "all era loving look down on the 60s lovers type" that Baz calls us :D (i thought all era`s inc 60s),moaning about poor 60s records being played,IMHO i think it`s rude to moan about tunes played at someones venue after all the hard work they put into it,it`s easy if you don`t like what they play or the format don`t go there anymore go somewhere more to your taste in music,but for some after all there moaning they still keep going back to the same venues wink.gif:wave::D:D

Dave f...................

Social source share

hiya Rachel, thx for your post. yea i guess your right, some peeps will be encouraged by the disco sound no doubt.

and you're also right in saying that it does take a while to listen to everything! i have so much catching up to do! it's all right for all these dj's on here and peeps who've been in the scene since way-back-when, quoting all these songs that i've never even heard of. they are just thinking - "who's this tourist telling us that we are listening to disco music!"

i would like to get into this scene more but there's lots of peeps out there who can't handle what i'm saying, having a go at me when i think i have a valid posting!

i'm not a bad person. :D

right i'm going packing my case anyway. thx for all you peeps who've stuck up for me on this whether you realised it or not!

for those of you who want to keep expressing your opinon! then please be my guest but i won't read til next week now and by then you'll be having a go at someone else no doubt! :wave:

cya's wAvy :wave:

Social source share

If a record becomes widely played on the Northern scene then it becomes Northern soul by default....The term Northern is not so much about the sound but more about the scene that it is played on.......

You cant compare DJ Genisis with the 5 Royales apart from the fact that they are both popular records on the Northern soul scene.....therefore they have become northern soul records.

I accept there is a classic "Northern" sound....the Motown copy style.

Its a moving feast and its evolving and changing all of the time......

Chris

Social source share

Guest Dodger

well you must think there is something to discuss or you wouldn't of posted now would you Dodger? and as for me being regimented please read my above post 7th paragraph i believe?

wAvy

Not discussing anything actually, nor am I having a go at you in any way. I just find it comical that people feel the need to slate the types of music that doesn't fall under their own personal interpretation of soul music. Each to their own and all that, wAvy lad! :wave:

Social source share

Not discussing anything actually, nor am I having a go at you in any way. I just find it comical that people feel the need to slate the types of music that doesn't fall under their own personal interpretation of soul music. Each to their own and all that, wAvy lad! :wave:

soemoen said they counted ten disco recoprds at one particular venue, me I didn't hear any, I only heard soul; and as i said one house record. Christ, ten records out of nine hours :wave::D

Social source share

soemoen said they counted ten disco recoprds at one particular venue, me I didn't hear any, I only heard soul; and as i said one house record. Christ, ten records out of nine hours :rolleyes::lol:

Did they they name a particular venue in their original posting?

Bit paranoid today Chalky?

Long weekend??

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

hiya Rachel, thx for your post. yea i guess your right, some peeps will be encouraged by the disco sound no doubt.

and you're also right in saying that it does take a while to listen to everything! i have so much catching up to do! it's all right for all these dj's on here and peeps who've been in the scene since way-back-when, quoting all these songs that i've never even heard of. they are just thinking - "who's this tourist telling us that we are listening to disco music!"

i would like to get into this scene more but there's lots of peeps out there who can't handle what i'm saying, having a go at me when i think i have a valid posting!

i'm not a bad person. :P

right i'm going packing my case anyway. thx for all you peeps who've stuck up for me on this whether you realised it or not!

for those of you who want to keep expressing your opinon! then please be my guest but i won't read til next week now and by then you'll be having a go at someone else no doubt! :rolleyes:

cya's wAvy wink.gif

blimey!

another one bites the dust!

i have re-read the whole thread and i can not see anything untoward. you raised an evocative subject that would no doubt invite strong opinions. nothing has been said against you personally.

you were happy to call the music loved by some "shitty & crappy" so you gotta take some flak back surely?

keep your chin mate and get back on here :lol:

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

So Bazza are you saying that the like`s of,

"Lou Pride-I`m com`un home in the morning-Suemi"

is a Modern/Disco record because that was recorded early 70s,71/72 :P:D:rolleyes:

And why is it that it`s nearly allways 60s Northern fans that come on here and moan about the

"crapy Modern/Disco records" being played at venues,but you don`t see many of

the "all era loving look down on the 60s lovers type" that Baz calls us smile.gif (i thought all era`s inc 60s),moaning about poor 60s records being played,IMHO i think it`s rude to moan about tunes played at someones venue after all the hard work they put into it,it`s easy if you don`t like what they play or the format don`t go there anymore go somewhere more to your taste in music,but for some after all there moaning they still keep going back to the same venues wink.gif:lol::P:D

Dave f...................

Now then, Dave I never mentioned the word Disco,and im not having a pop at the modern stuff...I dont have blinkers on as far as northern is concerned,I like a some "modern" tunes I Like R&B aswell , infact the tunes below always go down well at the venues I attend, I expect these days, to hear upto 15% or so modern at Venues ..they are still northern do's as far as im concerned

DJ genisis - tribute to betty

Teddy pendergrass - Do Me

Kenny thomas - Crazy World

Sidney Barnes - standing on solid Ground

Will Collins & Will Power - Anything I Can Do

Prince Phillip Mitchell - I'm So Happy

Harold Melvin - Prayin

all "modern"( IMHO ) tunes ....I like em

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Guest Goldwax

I don't know...somehow this reminds me of " grumpy old man"...why can't we just respect another taste, it's all soul, isn't it, it's all black music, and has a right to exist and to be played...I am only in my late twenties, wasn't around when 6ties popular but love it...nevertheless as far as i know new releases have always been played, strangley enough, I didn't hear any on saturday night...

Malayka

Ahhh...the wisdom of youth. IT'S ALL SOUL!!

Social source share

this surely has to be one of the worst records ever made

not heard but crap

he's a good singer

crap

this is a great track

overplayed disco music

Harold Melvin - Prayin

utter rubbish

Social source share

Bloimey, there are two Dodgers on the site because this can't possibly be the one who has slagged off theNorthern Soul scene for the past five years. :rolleyes:

What actually is there to discuss? If somebody is daft enough and that regimented in their appreciation of music to make a posting like this in the first place, no amount of discussion is likely to make any difference to their way of thinking. :lol:wink.gif
Social source share

Guest Trevski

:D my, my what a commotion i've caused! :rolleyes:

so i think i know what a disco tune sounds like when i hear one.

i don't know what 'they' were called that night - infact whenever i go to a venue there's only about 2, maybe 3 records i have actually heard before, and i can usually tell if it's a 60's tune or a 70's tune just off how they sound. i can definitely tell when it's a (dirty word coming up) 'disco' tune.

example - the only 'disco' title i know is: - the lovelites - get him off my conscience.

Lovelites? disco?? :lol:wink.gif DEFINATLY NOT disco!! Hang on a 'mo (sound of penny dropping)

I get it, you've come on here to wind people up right?? this can be the only reason for your ridiculous comments! :P

Social source share

I don't know...somehow this reminds me of " grumpy old man"...why can't we just respect another taste, it's all soul, isn't it, it's all black music, and has a right to exist and to be played...I am only in my late twenties, wasn't around when 6ties popular but love it...nevertheless as far as i know new releases have always been played, strangley enough, I didn't hear any on saturday night...

Malayka

I've a cd here that someone gave me t'other week, live one of Richard at Wigan, I think 50% is what they called back then modern soul.

Social source share

not heard but crap

he's a good singer

crap

this is a great track

overplayed disco music

Harold Melvin - Prayin

utter rubbish

Pete your a 60's only old buffer...dont know a good tune when you hear it :lol:wink.gif

not heard but crap

ay???? :rolleyes:

Bazza

Social source share

Guest Dodger

I agree, it's bloody awful imho, but Soul Sam played it so therefore . . . :rolleyes::lol:wink.gif

Social source share

How did Soul Sams name suddenly pop up? Don't you like Soul Sam then Dodger ? He gets lots of gigs and has been playing 'Modern Soul' for 25 years plus and he popularised the term 'Modern Soul' from what we can gather. Seems like quite a good acheivement list.

I agree, it's bloody awful imho, but Soul Sam played it so therefore . . . :rolleyes::lol:laugh.gif
Social source share

Guest Dodger

How did Soul Sams name suddenly pop up? Don't you like Soul Sam then Dodger ? He gets lots of gigs and has been playing 'Modern Soul' for 25 years plus and he popularised the term 'Modern Soul' from what we can gather. Seems like quite a good acheivement list.

Where did you glean from my statement that I didn't like him??? :rolleyes: That's not you trying to paint me in a bad light is it Simon? Wowwwwww, now there's a thing!!! :lol:laugh.gif:P

Social source share

Guest Dodger

How i read dodgers post to be, every one wants to follow Soul Sam like a sheep...........

Of course you did Baz because that's what I meant, there's only one person who would read it otherwise. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Where did you glean from my statement that I didn't like him??? :lol: That's not you trying to paint me in a bad light is it Simon? Wowwwwww, now there's a thing!!! laugh.gif:P:D [/quote ]

Miaooow ! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Now then, Dave I never mentioned the word Disco,and im not having a pop at the modern stuff...I dont have blinkers on as far as northern is concerned,I like a some "modern" tunes I Like R&B aswell , infact the tunes below always go down well at the venues I attend, I expect these days, to hear upto 15% or so modern at Venues ..they are still northern do's as far as im concerned

Harold Melvin - Prayin

all "modern"( IMHO ) tunes ....I like em

Bazza

Bazza just pulling your leg about the "Lou Prde" but it is 70s laugh.gif:lol:

the rest of it was not aimed at you,just me having a rant in general :P:rolleyes::D

Dave f...........

Social source share

Bazza just pulling your leg about the "Lou Prde" but it is 70s :Dbiggrin.gif

the rest of it was not aimed at you,just me having a rant in general :D:D:shades:

Dave f...........

Hi Dave ..talking of modern..its my Daughters wedding on Saturday , so no doubt ill be dancing to aggadoo piano man and loads of Black Lace "standards".......I feel ill allready :D

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Hi Dave ..talking of modern..its my Daughters wedding on Saturday , so no doubt ill be dancing to aggadoo piano man and loads of Black Lace "standards".......I feel ill allready :shades:

Bazza

Bazza I was counting on you being at the Attic on Sat night, cant you give the wedding reception a miss? :D

I'll have to save Hector Rivera & The COD's for next time then

Have a good day :rolleyes:

Social source share

Must admit I like some 'modern' tracks too - but also must admit that i have always thought the name 'soul' sam was rather a misconception - disco' sam would be more the mark lol.

There again he has brought some briliant tracks to the scene - shame it tends to be blighted by stuff like Janice lol

OIn saying that i do play em now and again so i'm a bloody hypocryte. and a schitzophrenic (no i'm not) yes i am, (no i'm not)

Social source share

I've been lurking on here fo 6 months and this is my first post so if I c*ck it up be gentle with me. This old chestnut keeps coming back again and again, so a few questions....

Exactly how many 'disco' records does it take to ruin a night out for an oldies fan?

Why isn't The Carstairs a northern record?

Why are some 7ts records accepted by Northern fans and not others?

Is it true that people who accept new types of sounds used to go to Cleethorpes and those who don't used to go to Wigan? :rolleyes:

Regards

Kev

No not true at all - I went to Wigan and Cleethorpes and I accept new types of sounds :shades:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert