• Replies 50
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Flipside "Girl don't leave me" is one of the best ever

crossover records imo. Extremly soulful :thumbsup: Just wish

that DJ's would stop pitching up both sides.

lilmajorwilliams_02.jpg

Edited by cC B
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Was gonna put up a request for this myself! so thanx for putting up t'other side Simon :thumbsup: and CB for the label scan :wicked: now both in me iTunes! Had "girl you're so good' stuck in me head all the way back from Lifeline. Magic stuff both sides! Anyone got a scan of GYSG side? and a MP3 of that too :shhh: Ok, so I'm a cheeky Yorkshire git, but if you don't ask...... :unsure:

UPDATE!

And then...in the twinkling of an eye... as if by magic..... sorted :unsure::wicked:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

for someone who runs an R&B night

why does that not surprise me???

i like some 70's , still have a load and played some when i dj'd at dundee , just don't like this .

ps ...it's a rhythm 'n' soul night which means we play good gritty 60's soul as well not just r'n'b ....you should look at the playlists

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

Guest Trevski

i'm the only person who doesn't like it then ...... thumbsup.gif

IN A WORLD WHERE SOUL MUSIC IS BECOMING SO SMOOTH IT CAN BE SUCKED THROUGH A STRAW ...COME TO BASICS !!!... AND GET YOUR TEETH INTO SUMMIN GRITTY

yup :(

May be smooth enough to suck thru a straw, but when its pure nectar like this, damn it tastes goood! :D Only chickens eat grit :(

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

yup :(

May be smooth enough to suck thru a straw, but when its pure nectar like this, damn it tastes goood! :D Only chickens eat grit :(

what can i say Trevski , i like summin to chew on whistling.gif

Social source share

as Butch said..probably the best 70,s record of all time..

He can't possibly have been serious when uttering those words. :( Not that it's a particularly bad record, but if being the BEST 70S RECORD OF ALL TIME it has got quite a lot to live up to, and it doesn't. In my opinion etc. whistling.gif

Social source share

Hello,

Two nice tracks but to describe it as the best '70s record of all time is just a bit over the top in my opinion.

Would it really get this acclaim if it was a £5.00 record???

Paul Mooney

Social source share

biggest, not best?

On a personal note, I am not a fan of seventies plus soul. In fact I find most of it abhorrent. :) Let me finish. But the" you're so good to me " side, along with Joseph Webster and the Hamilton Movement tunes, are just on another level from all the other 70's stuff that I've ever heard. If only there were more tunes of this QUALITY I could quite easily become a big 70's fan....

Unfortunately there aren't, but these three tunes always get me on the floor. Fantastic :)

Not just me either, I've caught quite a few hardened 60's men rushing to the dance floor when these tunes are played.

ps the other side of the Major Williams isn't in the same ball park. Just my humble opinion. :)

Social source share

Not my cuppa tea, no edge to it (both sides) what so ever, just floats along and bores me......and getting increasingly overplayed too. all IMHO

Social source share

Not my cuppa tea, no edge to it (both sides) what so ever, just floats along and bores me......and getting increasingly overplayed too. all IMHO

And the reasons it's getting over played.

1. It's f***ing brilliant

2. The DJ has just paid £2k for it.

3. We all want to play the best tunes :yes::yes::yes:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

£15,000 was paid for Frank Wilson .... do you ever want to hear that again ? :yes:

Social source share

long time readers of this may remember this 45 featuring a bit over the years, from my first attempts to get home with the track name in memory and then finding out it was a cover

to when posted that found the group that Major Williams formed in 70s

at the time it was still covered, the group had no internet prescence and only got in touch via emailing clubs the group were playing at

eventually got in touch, but as soon as single was mentioned the talk finished

been told since that they had been already approached with a view to a uk release but they were not interested

with recent respark, had a look to see what group was up to

Found out they do have a website now, worth a visit and if you goto the music page can listen to a 4 min plus version of

Girl Don't Leave Me The Major Tones Band, featuring Ray Williams

well got my ears going

was going to post clip on here but then though a bit

(actually did post it but took it down after 5 mins or so)

my thinking is that this group have put out this track available to download free and while easy to pass on and post here and other sites

think would be a good thing to let them know the interest in the original versions and this one, other wise it be lost

and by downloading it from their site rather than passing on via non related sites they may get a idea and some acknowledgement for their work

here's the link to the site

https://www.majortones.com/

Social source share

Answers on the back of a post card for you Phil :(

1. Thats subjective, down to individuals taste

2. Whats price got to do with owt? plenty of tunes under £50 that would knock ten tonnes of sh*te out of Major Williams

3.shouldn't that be....We all want to play the same tunes as Butch/Soul Sam/Andy D (delete/add high profile DJ as aplicable)

I would get much more stisfaction out of playing a lesser known tune and people picking up on it rather than trying to be a sheep and follow the 'big boys' :yes::yes:

Social source share

On a personal note, I am not a fan of seventies plus soul. In fact I find most of it abhorrent. :yes: Let me finish. But the" you're so good to me " side, along with Joseph Webster and the Hamilton Movement tunes, are just on another level from all the other 70's stuff that I've ever heard.

Funny, cos as a fan of a hell of alot of stuff that isn't 60s soul - and appreciating a fair wack of what i'm hearing of that too - I would have to say that the LMW & Hamilton Movement, and def Joseph Webster (which I consider one of the most overrated rarities around - check The Exquisites on the same label for a bit of soul) all feature nowhere in my top whatever, whichever or whyfor from the 70s onwards......

You're So Good would be my pick of the two sides tho'.....

Girf

Social source share

EVERY1 HAS THERE IDEA OFF WHAT THEY THINK IS A GREAT RECORD OR NOT.ME I LOVE BOTH SIDES OF THIS 45.1ST HEARD GIRL YOUR SO GOOD @ FLEETWOOD COUPLE O YEAR BAK.SOON AS I HEARD THE 1ST FEW BARS ,WAP IM ON THAT DANCE FLOOR.DIDNT KNOW WHO IT WAS,DIDNT NOTICE WHO WAS PLAYING IT FROM THE START(was butch).WAS & STILL AM AMAZED BY IT.I LOVE 70S MID-TEMPO,SO IM HAPPY. :yes:

Social source share

Answers on the back of a post card for you Phil :yes:

1. Thats subjective, down to individuals taste

2. Whats price got to do with owt? plenty of tunes under £50 that would knock ten tonnes of sh*te out of Major Williams

3.shouldn't that be....We all want to play the same tunes as Butch/Soul Sam/Andy D (delete/add high profile DJ as aplicable)

I would get much more stisfaction out of playing a lesser known tune and people picking up on it rather than trying to be a sheep and follow the 'big boys' :yes::yes:

Baz,

I wasn't saying I condone the over playing of anything. I was just explaining the reason behind it. We are all only human. And could you honestly say, hand on heart, that if you could afford the big tunes that you wouldn't buy / play em.

I first heard the Joseph Webster tune on JM's R.O.T.R. so had no idea of it's value or rarity. And don't forget that I am of the same opinion as yourself re 70's disco. But as soon as I heard that tune I thought it was something very special. I immediately rang Tim Brown to ascertain it's availability. Only to be told " yes I've been offered £2500 for my copy "

Same thing with the Major Williams, except that I heard Butch play it first, and again thought it was a bit special from the outset.

I'm not going to apologize for liking great tunes. And the fact that they are rare is incidental.

And if you have cheap tunes that are better than the above, then how come you aren't Dj'ing every week at the best nighters?

I'm of the opinion that most of the big ticket tunes are just that, because they are fantastic, and everybody wants to own em.

If I hear a tune that blows me away I want it. Full stop. Regardless of price.

Social source share

If I hear a tune that blows me away I want it. Full stop. Regardless of price.

Now then Phil, have heard through the grapevine that this isn't true at all :yes: You may well run up to the decks salivating, but once you're told its £25 or whatever, you are no longer interested

Is this a young frisky wives tale,,,,, :yes:

With regards the tune - I love it. It gets me up dancing wherever, whenever I hear it :yes:

Social source share

Baz,

I wasn't saying I condone the over playing of anything. I was just explaining the reason behind it. We are all only human. And could you honestly say, hand on heart, that if you could afford the big tunes that you wouldn't buy / play em.

And if you have cheap tunes that are better than the above, then how come you aren't Dj'ing every week at the best nighters?

Whooa!

Whats affording tunes got to do with anything, i buy what i like and have rare and not so rare records, there is plenty of tunes that have came up and i though if only i could magicly apear £1K in my sky rocket, but then again if you had money at your disposal wouldn't it take the 'fun' out of it all?

Yes i do have cheap tunes.... infact every single record in my box is better than the above, they wouldn't be in there if i didn't think that! Why arn't i DJ'ing every weekend at the best nighters.

1. Im not a high profile DJ, and have no intention of becoming one.

2. I dont even want to be doing it every week, i would soon get bored of playing my tunes out very quickly, having to sell every thing to generate more money for more records, so your not playing the same set for god knows how many years.

3. I would like to think i get my bookings through playing something differnt (cheap and expensive) mixed in with a few more 'established' sounds.

4. i cant see what the hell this has got to do with Lil Major Williams :yes:

Social source share

Now then Phil, have heard through the grapevine that this isn't true at all :yes: You may well run up to the decks salivating, but once you're told its £25 or whatever, you are no longer interested

Is this a young frisky wives tale,,,,, :yes:

With regards the tune - I love it. It gets me up dancing wherever, whenever I hear it tongue.gif

Not guilty Kirsty. :yes: I'm still trying to find that C.L. Blast - What Can I Do- United

It's supposed to be £20, can I find it? can I thump. :(

They have to be good though, you can kid yourself that a nearly good tune is fantastic. But if only you thinks that it is, then you must ask yourself the question. Have I got any taste? :yes::yes:

Social source share

Whooa!

Whats affording tunes got to do with anything, i buy what i like and have rare and not so rare records, there is plenty of tunes that have came up and i though if only i could magicly apear £1K in my sky rocket, but then again if you had money at your disposal wouldn't it take the 'fun' out of it all?

Yes i do have cheap tunes.... infact every single record in my box is better than the above, they wouldn't be in there if i didn't think that! Why arn't i DJ'ing every weekend at the best nighters.

1. Im not a high profile DJ, and have no intention of becoming one.

2. I dont even want to be doing it every week, i would soon get bored of playing my tunes out very quickly, having to sell every thing to generate more money for more records, so your not playing the same set for god knows how many years.

3. I would like to think i get my bookings through playing something differnt (cheap and expensive) mixed in with a few more 'established' sounds.

4. i cant see what the hell this has got to do with Lil Major Williams :yes:

If the records in your box are better than the ones discussed, then I'd love to hear a tape / CD of them. Can't understand why Butch isn't beating at your door waving big wads of money to buy em. :yes:

Social source share

I hate to 'butt in' fellas, but you raise an interesting point here.

The reality is, most of us have Better & Cheaper records than the above (I know I certainly do).

The irony is that, the cheaper better stuff does not get played out as DJ's wouldn't get hired on the back of a box of cheapies at "the best nighters" these days... regardless of quality.

For my money, this little ditty is 'So-So'... and no more...

... but as an earlier poster mentioned, if it was only a fiver would anyone get really lathered up about it? I doubt it.

Lil Major is definately worth a spin, or two, but, to these old ears (and I realise this may be blasphemy) I can't help thinking it sounds like a 'poor mans' :yes: "Rock Your Baby".

Only IMO folks!

Sean

PS: Talking of George McCrae... try his "Take It All Off" on US Soul City & United Artists.

A much beter proposition... and enough change from a tenner for a Fish & Chip supper!

Social source share

PS: Talking of George McCrae... try his "Take It All Off" on US Soul City & United Artists.

A much beter proposition... and enough change from a tenner for a Fish & Chip supper!

Played this out a few times over the last couple of years - when I get the chance to do a 70s/Crossover type spot.

Had a couple in my sales box and struggled to sell em, obviously not rare enough LOL

Social source share

Played this out a few times over the last couple of years - when I get the chance to do a 70s/Crossover type spot.

Had a couple in my sales box and struggled to sell em, obviously not rare enough LOL

Hold on... I can feel an Accrington Stanley moment coming on..... ..........Exactly!

:yes:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Sue Males

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(Mike B @ Aug 27 2006, 10:43 PM) link
What a timely thread - both sides of this 45 were played last night by Ady Potts at our night in Cambridge - it has to be said both tunes went down very well with the dancefloor (as did the rest of the 45's he played ) top sounds :yes::yes::yes:

I like it, that's why i asked Ady to play it, but i must say the track he followed it with was blinding....Jerry Butler, "Let's make love", that filled the dance floor :yes:

Sue.

Social source share

QUOTE(Mike B @ Aug 27 2006, 10:43 PM) link What a timely thread - both sides of this 45 were played last night by Ady Potts at our night in Cambridge - it has to be said both tunes went down very well with the dancefloor (as did the rest of the 45's he played ) top sounds :yes::yes::yes:

I like it, that's why i asked Ady to play it, but i must say the track he followed it with was blinding....Jerry Butler, "Let's make love", that filled the dance floor :yes:

Sue.

Yeh.... a nice bit of Philly .... from a guy who can really sing....and only £20!!!!

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

If the records in your box are better than the ones discussed, then I'd love to hear a tape / CD of them. Can't understand why Butch isn't beating at your door waving big wads of money to buy em. :thumbsup:

There not for sale :huh:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

long time readers of this may remember this 45 featuring a bit over the years, from my first attempts to get home with the track name in memory and then finding out it was a cover

to when posted that found the group that Major Williams formed in 70s

at the time it was still covered, the group had no internet prescence and only got in touch via emailing clubs the group were playing at

eventually got in touch, but as soon as single was mentioned the talk finished

been told since that they had been already approached with a view to a uk release but they were not interested

with recent respark, had a look to see what group was up to

Found out they do have a website now, worth a visit and if you goto the music page can listen to a 4 min plus version of

Girl Don't Leave Me The Major Tones Band, featuring Ray Williams

well got my ears going

was going to post clip on here but then though a bit

(actually did post it but took it down after 5 mins or so)

my thinking is that this group have put out this track available to download free and while easy to pass on and post here and other sites

think would be a good thing to let them know the interest in the original versions and this one, other wise it be lost

and by downloading it from their site rather than passing on via non related sites they may get a idea and some acknowledgement for their work

here's the link to the site

https://www.majortones.com/

just thinking of this and the fact that was never any comment posted about this version

strange

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert