Bert Decoteaux

Thanks oldliason, its been ages since the last post on this thread about Bert so to see it at the top again was quite a surprise....good to read your thoughts on the man and of your work with him......

Hi Paul, how's you? as I said in my last post in december, he was ill and in a wheelchair but a lot can happen in four months, hopefully he's still with us

Derek.

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

• Replies 125
  • Views 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Thanks oldliason, its been ages since the last post on this thread about Bert so to see it at the top again was quite a surprise....good to read your thoughts on the man and of your work with him......

Hi Paul, how's you? as I said in my last post in december, he was ill and in a wheelchair but a lot can happen in four months, hopefully he's still with us

Derek.

Hi Derek

I'm fine thanks surprisingly after spending most of the night thumping my head cos untill today when oldliason very kindly put Bert back on the "front page" I"d not seen your last post!
:thumbsup:
Dunno how I missed that, sorry.

Is Mr Cole planning an interview then? That would be something
:ohmy:

Just been on the dog and bone to "Kipper" keeping him up to speed as it were. He"s going to the 100 Sat..........don"t be buying any records off him now
:lol:

Great to see Mr Decoteaux back on top !

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Hi Derek

I'm fine thanks surprisingly after spending most of the night thumping my head cos untill today when oldliason very kindly put Bert back on the "front page" I"d not seen your last post!
:ohmy:
Dunno how I missed that, sorry.

Is Mr Cole planning an interview then? That would be something
:lol:

Just been on the dog and bone to "Kipper" keeping him up to speed as it were. He"s going to the 100 Sat..........don"t be buying any records off him now
biggrin.gif

Great to see Mr Decoteaux back on top !

Cheers Paul

Hiya Paul,

Yeah, I wondered about that, still, it's easy done.....I only saw a post from Derek Pearson the other day, it was in answer to one of mine .....only three weeks late
...... and probably wouldn't have even seen it if someone hadn't added a new post, better late than never though eh?

Don't know re' an interview, Dave just said he had a meeting with Buddy Scott and that he'd mention Bert....so it was only a snippet then, but good to know

Might do the 100 meself and if Kipper keeps his prices down to a fiver....mmm..wellll....
:shhh:

Bert back on TOP, where he belongs!!!

Best, Derek.

Social source share

Hi Guys!

Just wanted to let you know that I was in touch with David from "In the Basement" who replied that whoever had posted about Bert being alive but in a wheelchair had possibly misinterpreted the story. He said that he had been in touch with Buddy Scott who, unfortunately, didn't have any recent info on Bert and wasn't sure if he was still "with us" or not.

BTW; David responded almost immediately to my email and seems to be a really nice guy!

Social source share

Hi Guys!

Just wanted to let you know that I was in touch with David from "In the Basement" who replied that whoever had posted about Bert being alive but in a wheelchair had possibly misinterpreted the story. He said that he had been in touch with Buddy Scott who, unfortunately, didn't have any recent info on Bert and wasn't sure if he was still "with us" or not.

BTW; David responded almost immediately to my email and seems to be a really nice guy!

Hi Oldliason,

That is strange, I'm the guy that posted the above after receiving an email from David after his meeting with Buddy Scott, which I have written out below word for word, can't see where I can have misinterpreted the story:

Dear Derek,

Buddy Scott tells me that Bert is very ill and confined to a wheelchair, but he did make it to Tony Sylvesters funeral.

Does not bode well.

All the best

David.

Succinct and to the point, I'm sure you'll agree....quite a few emails passed between us when I was looking for info on Bert, so I'm sure it can't have slipped his mind and can't understand the change of mind....if you want a copy of the email pm me and I 'll send it along just so's you'll see there's been no misunderstanding on my part.

Best,

Derek.

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

Hi Derek,

Yes, I guess there is some confusion here!

I do find it very odd that this man who has accomplished SO much in his life, and is such a wonderful person, has basically disappeared without a trace; not one person knows of his whereabouts and there is (thank goodness) no obit to be found either.

I'm not sure if anyone had posted his age, but I'm thinking that he might be in his 70's?

Social source share

Hi Derek,

Yes, I guess there is some confusion here!

I do find it very odd that this man who has accomplished SO much in his life, and is such a wonderful person, has basically disappeared without a trace; not one person knows of his whereabouts and there is (thank goodness) no obit to be found either.

I'm not sure if anyone had posted his age, but I'm thinking that he might be in his 70's?

Not sure how old he was in the 60s oldliason if say he was 20 in 1960 that would only make him 67 today.

Perhaps Mangomn 2003 can throw some light on the subject of Berts age

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Not sure how old he was in the 60s oldliason if say he was 20 in 1960 that would only make him 67 today.

Perhaps Mangomn 2003 can throw some light on the subject of Berts age

Cheers Paul

I Tend To Agree With You Shrew, I'd Say Anywhere Between 67-71.

And Rudzy Is Correct On The Jackie Verdell Sessions As Many Decca Dates Were Scott-Radcliffe Compositions, Jimmy Loved Working With Him. I Found A Typed Part Of An Interview That I Did With Bert By Phone I Think In The Late 80's Early 90's Where I Had Asked Him About His Involvement On The Carolyn Franklin (Radcliffe Produced) Sessions. Interesting Anecdotes About RCA Of The Era And The Hiring Of Their First Black A&R Department Cheif aka Buzzy Willis. Will Try And Post Later.

Social source share

The mention of the "Black Music Dept." reminded me of how Bert was behind the 8 Ball with us from the start.

After Bert heard the Pati Bros demo he approached Mickey Eichner (head of A&R) who gave it the ok and in turn told Bert to bring it to Larkin Arnold (head of the BMD). I remember Bert describing the look of confusion on Mickey's face when he told him "But Mickey, they're white!!!!"

Man...We were doomed!!!

Social source share

The mention of the "Black Music Dept." reminded me of how Bert was behind the 8 Ball with us from the start.

After Bert heard the Pati Bros demo he approached Mickey Eichner (head of A&R) who gave it the ok and in turn told Bert to bring it to Larkin Arnold (head of the BMD). I remember Bert describing the look of confusion on Mickey's face when he told him "But Mickey, they're white!!!!"

Man...We were doomed!!!

LOL :rolleyes:

You Must'ave Known Don Burkhimer Then?

Jimmy Dealt With Don On His Late Sixties RCA Releases, The Stuff That Twould Have Been The First Jimmy Radcliffe LP. But The Carolyn Franklin Project And His Jingle Work Back Burnered That. One Of These Days That Material Will See The Light Of Day.

Here's A Wee Bert DeCoteaux Super Chart: 10___Wash___Care__30.mp3

Can Yall Name The Group?

Edited by Mangomn2003
Social source share

Man...We were doomed!!!

:lol: .....Brilliant oldliason....lovely little anecdote :rolleyes:

Social source share

I Tend To Agree With You Shrew, I'd Say Anywhere Between 67-71.

And Rudzy Is Correct On The Jackie Verdell Sessions As Many Decca Dates Were Scott-Radcliffe Compositions, Jimmy Loved Working With Him. I Found A Typed Part Of An Interview That I Did With Bert By Phone I Think In The Late 80's Early 90's Where I Had Asked Him About His Involvement On The Carolyn Franklin (Radcliffe Produced) Sessions. Interesting Anecdotes About RCA Of The Era And The Hiring Of Their First Black A&R Department Cheif aka Buzzy Willis. Will Try And Post Later.

[/quote)

Like to see that interview Mangomn 2003

Acording to DelTee a guy called David Cole was trying to get in touch with Mr Decoteaux

Mr Cole runs an excellant magazine called "In The Basement" if you dont know it already the website is

well worth a look Chris

Cheers Paul

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Acording to DelTee a guy called David Cole was trying to get in touch with Mr Decoteaux

Mr Cole runs an excellant magazine called "In The Basement" if you dont know it already the website is

well worth a look Chris

Cheers Paul

Social source share

well worth a look Chris

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm Familiar With In The Basement And Mr. Cole... In fact I Think I Owe Them An Article... He'd Asked Me To Write Something Or More-Over To Update The Article I'd Written For Soul Survivor (1989).

I'm Going To have To Re-Type The Bert Interview Before I Can Post Here As It Is A Direct Transcription From my Tape.

Best,

Chris

Heres to your fingers thumbsup.gif:thumbsup:

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Apologies if this has already been said(which I will be amazed if it hasnt)

but I take it the NORBERT on this Wand logo is one and the same....... :thumbsup:

post-6164-1177275585_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Apologies if this has already been said(which I will be amazed if it hasnt)

but I take it the NORBERT on this Wand logo is one and the same....... :thumbsup:

Hi Mel.....it is indeed our man Bert.....his name crops up all over the shop, must have been a busy guy,only hope he was paid his worth.....inestimable to the likes of us, I think :shades: .

Derek.

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

Hi Mel.....it is indeed our man Bert.....his name crops up all over the shop, must have been a busy guy,only hope he was paid his worth.....inestimable to the likes of us, I think

Derek.

He certainly was a busy guy wasn"t he Derek.

Kipper just reminded me he did "Blind Love" Lamar Thomas.

A Bert discography would make some interesting reading.

Cheers Paul

PS Thank you melandthensome didn:t realise (Nor)Bert was involved with The Charts
:shades:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a load of records off a neighbour today. Just been going through them and found that

DR. FEELGOOD - SNEAKIN' SUSPICION - UA

was produced by Bert de Coteaux.

Our man certainly got around.

Derek

Social source share

Bought a load of records off a neighbour today. Just been going through them and found that

DR. FEELGOOD - SNEAKIN' SUSPICION - UA

was produced by Bert de Coteaux.

Our man certainly got around.

Derek

Hi Derek,

Excuse my ignorance here, but Dr Feelgood is a UK act right? So the record was possibly recorded in the UK. Earlier in the thread John Benson metioned a Linda Lewis record too, only released in the UK soooo..........did Bert do some work in England?!

Cheers Paul

Social source share

• 2 years later...
Guest Soufullfella

I must admit I briefly skimmed over this article and I do find it very interesting because I as well have quite a few tracks produced by Mr. DeCoteaux and I am not sure if anyone mentioned it but I would have to say that one of my favorite productions is "Hold On To It" by P.J. Smith & Co.

That track just always works for me.

Anyway...thanks for all the information.

Ian

www.soulfullfella.podomatic.com

www.steelcitysoul.org

Social source share

• 10 months later...

Fascinating thread and the kind we saw a lot of on here a few years back. So has Mr.D's passing been confirmed one way or another? If so, I think a memorial website would be a great idea and a fitting and lasting tribute to the guy's importance in the

music we all love. Sad that some people (earlier in the thread) should have thought it necessary to bring up his sexuality, but there's always one or two...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert