• Replies 125
  • Views 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest MARTIN SNOW

one of the strangest records I have with Bert on is by "US" on a Spring 45 from 1974. Tracks are "Ostrich", flipped with "Excuse me". Average white sounding funk with a slight rocky edge, anyone else got this one ?

Heres a few more good track with Bert involved :

Charisma Band on Buddah Aint nothing like',

Earls Going Downtown

Linda Hopkins In your blood

Jeree Palmer Flattery

Sister Sledge Dont you miss him now

Lenny Welch Eye witness news

Unlimited Touch First LP

Starpoint Keep on it LP

Karavan The funk is gonna get you yet

Passion Dont stop my love

Social source share

one of the strangest records I have with Bert on is by "US" on a Spring 45 from 1974. Tracks are "Ostrich", flipped with "Excuse me". Average white sounding funk with a slight rocky edge, anyone else got this one ?

Heres a few more good track with Bert involved :

Charisma Band on Buddah Aint nothing like',

Earls Going Downtown

Linda Hopkins In your blood

Jeree Palmer Flattery

Sister Sledge Dont you miss him now

Lenny Welch Eye witness news

Unlimited Touch First LP

Starpoint Keep on it LP

Karavan The funk is gonna get you yet

Passion Dont stop my love

Hi Martin, are the Passion and Unlimited Touch on Prelude?

Which label is Jeree Palmer?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest melandthensome

Great thread

I tried to start one on another forum about bert and his material but didnt get much replies......I have a lot of scans of his stuff and if get any time will post.

Social source share

Hello,

I did find out that Bert de Coteaux is deceased and, yes, he was black - even though his name suggested otherwise.

Paul Mooney

Thanks for the info Paul. Sorry to hear he's passed.

Cheers Paul

Great thread

I tried to start one on another forum about bert and his material but didnt get much replies......I have a lot of scans of his stuff and if get any time will post.

Yes please melandthensome!
:lol:

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Great thread

Hi Mel,

Do you have one by Linda Lewis from the 80's? (title escapes me right now) - it's on some UK label like KRL or similar (Kalaidoscope Records Ltd?)

It's got Bert's name on it - which is why I picked it up at the time.

It might be called "Come on back" - nice mid tempo thing, I'll have to dig it out again :lol:

Social source share

Right, here it is - Linda Lewis "Why can't I be the other woman" / "Come on back" on UK Kaleidoscope records - KRL A 2860 (1982)

Both sides are produced by Bert Decoteaux, the A side was written by Linda Lewis & T Attel while Linda wrote the flip side on her own.

The 45 doesn't appear to have been released in the states either (as far as I can tell)

It comes in a rather naff picture cover of Linda in one of those white frilly 'School marm' blouses and a black bow tie - very off putting really :thumbsup:

If it wasn't for Bert's name in the credits I wouldn't have bothered picking it up in the first place :(

post-5094-1165444553_thumb.jpg

Anyway, if anyone wants to have a listen - here it is:

Come_on_back___Linda_Lewis.mp3

It might not be to everyone's taste, but it tends to grow on you after a while :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks for that John
:thumbsup:

Just read somewhere else that Tony Sylvester had recently died, anyone confirm?

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul, that's a yes on that I'm afraid, sometime late november, read a little obit' dated 27th so possibly sometime round then, and Bert too, shame. R I P

Derek.

Social source share

Hi Paul, that's a yes on that I'm afraid, sometime late november, read a little obit' dated 27th so possibly sometime round then, and Bert too, shame. R I P

Derek.

Thanks for confirming that Derek. Sad news, so they're both gone but thier musical legacy will live on through us.Like so many others they never got thier proper recognition while they could appreciate it.

At least ole Norberts back on the Soul Source "front page".

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Right, here it is - Linda Lewis "Why can't I be the other woman" / "Come on back" on UK Kaleidoscope records - KRL A 2860 (1982)

Both sides are produced by Bert Decoteaux, the A side was written by Linda Lewis & T Attel while Linda wrote the flip side on her own.

The 45 doesn't appear to have been released in the states either (as far as I can tell)

It comes in a rather naff picture cover of Linda in one of those white frilly 'School marm' blouses and a black bow tie - very off putting really
:D

If it wasn't for Bert's name in the credits I wouldn't have bothered picking it up in the first place
:D

post-5094-1165444553_thumb.jpg

Anyway, if anyone wants to have a listen - here it is:

It might not be to everyone's taste, but it tends to grow on you after a while

Thanks for that John, maybe one for Simon Whites Manifesto column!

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Dunno how I've missed this great thread !

I looked for info on Bert about two years and came up with very little. I'll have a look see if I can find any notes.

That Linda Lewis looks interesting...... :thumbsup: ....and what a nice little record Jeree Palmer is.

One I noticed recently as a Bert credit ( 'Orchestra Directed by') is 'She's Together/ Try some Of Mine' by Little Richard on the Brunswick label recorded in New York in 1967.

Social source share

Any Soul Sourcers got any information about this fabulous writer/producer/arranger?

Worked with Marlena Shaw and the Main Ingredient in the 70's to name but two, but I also believe he was involved with some rare/northern 60's as Norbert deCoteaux?

Asking this partly as a favour for a non Soul Source friend, who asked Marlena Shaw about him at the Jazz Cafe a couple of years ago. Unfortunately she could only tell him how to pronounce deCoteaux correctly!

Thanks in advance Paul Woosnam

Hi Paul,

Bert's an amazing guy who did a lot of work with and for my father. In fact his first major session as an arranger was on the Pat Lundy "City Of Stones" dates that Jimmy produced with John Hammond on Columbia. I'll post some pics from the session in an album. Anyway Bert actually got his start doing charts for demo sessions where he and me pops became fast friends. His amazing career credits twould be way to long to list here but suffice it to say he has seen them come and he has seen them go. An iteresting side note that not to many people know is that he has a twin brother who conducted for the San Francisco Philharmonic for many years - a vary musical family indeed!

Peace

Chris

Social source share

Hi Paul,

Bert's an amazing guy who did a lot of work with and for my father. In fact his first major session as an arranger was on the Pat Lundy "City Of Stones" dates that Jimmy produced with John Hammond on Columbia. I'll post some pics from the session in an album. Anyway Bert actually got his start doing charts for demo sessions where he and me pops became fast friends. His amazing career credits twould be way to long to list here but suffice it to say he has seen them come and he has seen them go. An iteresting side note that not to many people know is that he has a twin brother who conducted for the San Francisco Philharmonic for many years - a vary musical family indeed!

Peace

Chris

Great little piece of info re' Bert and to see pics of him at work would be good too and I'm sure that would please Paul, (who started off this fine thread) no end, we've been trying to raise pics of Bert for months now, so, yes please Chris post 'em up, thanks in anticipation.

Derek.

Social source share

Hi Paul,

Peace

Chris

Wow Chris what a great post!! Fantastic to have some "inside" information on Bert, I didn't realise he'd worked with Pat Lundy, another fine talented artist. Like you say he does have amazing career credits which is one of the reasons we found it so strange that he remained such an enigma to us.

Please feel free to add anymore info it is MUCH appreciated, and the prospect of some photos of the great man in action so to speak is probably gonna keep me awake all night!

Thanks very much, Cheers Paul

Social source share

Great little piece of info re' Bert and to see pics of him at work would be good too and I'm sure that would please Paul, (who started off this fine thread) no end, we've been trying to raise pics of Bert for months now, so, yes please Chris post 'em up, thanks in anticipation.

Derek.

Yes, Derek I'm well pleased to finally get some "inside" info. Can"t take all the credit for the thread tho, like I said in my first post(which seems an awful long time ago now) I'm asking partly on behalf of a non soul source friend, John 'Kipper' Kerr, whos off to the 100 club tonight so you can give him a pat on the back if you're going!

Appreciate your contribution too mate, lets hope those photos come through and Chris has some more Bert tales.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Yes, Derek I'm well pleased to finally get some "inside" info. Can"t take all the credit for the thread tho, like I said in my first post(which seems an awful long time ago now) I'm asking partly on behalf of a non soul source friend, John 'Kipper' Kerr, whos off to the 100 club tonight so you can give him a pat on the back if you're going!

Appreciate your contribution too mate, lets hope those photos come through and Chris has some more Bert tales.

Cheers Paul

Knew you'd be pleased Paul, must admit to being well chuffed myself when I read Chris' post, I'll be sending any pics on to a mate who's been digging for Bert too, so fingers crossed.

I will be going down the 100 Club and will ask around and keep an eye out for John, it'll be good to put a face to the man who set us off on this (not so now) wild goose chase.....
biggrin.gif

Derek.

Social source share

Knew you'd be pleased Paul, must admit to being well chuffed myself when I read Chris' post, I'll be sending any pics on to a mate who's been digging for Bert too, so fingers crossed.

I will be going down the 100 Club and will ask around and keep an eye out for John, it'll be good to put a face to the man who set us off on this (not so now) wild goose chase.....
biggrin.gif

Derek.

Sure Ken will introduce you.

Social source share

Paul, go to the gallery, Chris has posted up a pictture of the Man....at last we can see Bert.

Met up with John at the100 Club, no doubt talked his ear off! bought a record off him too :thumbsup:

Social source share

Paul, go to the gallery, Chris has posted up a pictture of the Man....at last we can see Bert.

Met up with John at the100 Club, no doubt talked his ear off! bought a record off him too

Great stuff eh Derek! I'll let John know later, can just picture him running down to the computer shop first thing tommorrow!

Hope you got a good deal on your record.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Nice one platters!
Don't know those.

Cheers Paul

Top tunes Paco,used to have em`all
not now tho`,idiot idea sellin`em,and for nothin`like what they`re makin`now
blush.gif

Social source share

Hi Paul,

Good news, of a sort, I've just heard from David who runs the mag "In The Basement", he was talking to Buddy Scott who told him that Bert is very much alive, but very ill and confined to a wheelchair and that he did manage to attend the funeral of Tony Sylvester.

So, though it does not bode well, it is good to know that our man is still hanging in there.

Derek.

Social source share

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Just came across this forum and wanted to add my 2 cents.

I worked with Bert, for about a year, on a project (The Pati Brothers) @ Columbia Records in the early 80's. He was a truly wonderful person and, without a doubt, a super talented musician.

His talents were not being utilized by Columbia; the fact was that he was the only person on the A&R staff who was under contract, and it certainly appeared (to me) as though he was just being given menial tasks here and there...just running the clock.

He did have the freedom of signing an occasional artist to production deal which was the case with TPB. Man, did he LOVE this music! I remember sending him an 8 track demo of a particular song and him calling me absolutely raving about how great it he though it was. And man, when he liked something he would curse up a storm while talking about it!! He, most definitely, was not a foul mouthed guy but when the music got to him he just couldn't control himself!

Bert had such a great spirit about him, he was SO excited about the music/artist we were working with and it was very contagious.

One of Bert's greatest talents was the ability to work with an artist without stepping on his/hers toes.

In the case of TPB, there were plenty of emotions present at the sessions; Bert would throw ideas out and if they were met with any opposition he would just say "ok, if you don't like it we won't do it".

He never made the artist feel pressured or that the music was being compromised. Don't get me wrong, most of his ideas were right on the money!

The end result was a very nice collaboration which absolutely worked.

In closing I just want to say that this man was so important to us guys back then; he treated us like royalty...and he certainly didn't have to as we were just 3 young guys with absolutely no professional background, or connections/clout...he just loved the music.

I am hoping that the news of his death is incorrect as I would love to speak with him again, but if that is not the case I still have wonderful memories of Bert Decoteaux and the honor of having known and worked with him.

P.S. Actually, the master tapes of those 26 year old Pati Brothers demo sessions were just recovered and remixed. I am expecting a disc in the mail today...so; I'll probably be back praising Bert again later!!

Social source share

I'll See If I Can't Track Down Bert's Brother As Well.

I've This Phone Book Here That List All The Greats, From Back In The Day, Home Number And Address' For Guys Like Bert Decoteaux, Bernard Purdie, Quincy Jones, List All The Studios On Braodway, Publishing Houses, Hotels, Some Nightclubs, Ray Pollard, Gloria Lynne, Anita Humes (The Essex), Barbara English, Ellie Greenwich, Steve Karmen, Arthur Prysock, Otis Pollard, Ehster Phillips, Shelby Singleton, Papa Don, Luther Simmons (Main Ingredient), Adam Wade, Dee Warwick, Teacho Wiltshire,Nat Tarnapol... everybody!

Twould Make A Fine Addition To Any New York Collectors Booty Aye? Perhaps I Could Be Pursuded To Part With It. rolleyes.gif

Cheers!

Social source share

Hi Chris

Can you confirm if Berts still alive ?

Cheers Paul

The Last Number I Had On Him In New Jersey Is Not Good Anymore But I'll Ask Some People. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert