The Girls....on Backing

Guest vinylvixen

Guest vinylvixen

Just thought this might interest someone :thumbsup:

A couple of months ago, there was a bit of a stir about a tune by the Girls called 'The Hurt's still here' on Memphis. I enquired if anyone knew who the line-up were and Simon White eventually - through much detective work - provided the answers.

Having nothing better to do with my time at 07.30 on a Sunday morning ( :P ) I Iooked up info on the line up of Eula Buford, Maxine Jones and Mary Davis.....look what Google found...they were backing singers on an album from 1999 produced by none other than Sir Mack Rice and Johnnie Mae Matthews. There is one Audrey Matthews as lead vocals on Black Nasty - is this Johnnie Mae's daughter?

I don't know about you, but I love it when life throws up these little soul titbits and teasers....I should get out more :P Jo

Black Nasty: Audrey Matthews, Terrance Ellis (vocals); Jackie Cosper (guitar, background vocals); Thomas Carter (keyboards, background vocals); Mark Patterson (bass, background vocals); Artwell Matthews, Jr. (drums, background vocals); Mary Davis Eula Buford, Maxine Jones (background vocals). Producers: Sir Mack Rice, Johnnie Mae Matthews. Recorded at Pampa Studio & Pac-3 Studio, Detroit, Michigan. Includes liner notes by Rob Bowman. Digitally remastered by Joe Tarrantino (1999, Fanatasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just thought this might interest someone :thumbsup:

A couple of months ago, there was a bit of a stir about a tune by the Girls called 'The Hurt's still here' on Memphis. I enquired if anyone knew who the line-up were and Simon White eventually - through much detective work - provided the answers.

Having nothing better to do with my time at 07.30 on a Sunday morning ( :P ) I Iooked up info on the line up of Eula Buford, Maxine Jones and Mary Davis.....look what Google found...they were backing singers on an album from 1999 produced by none other than Sir Mack Rice and Johnnie Mae Matthews. There is one Audrey Matthews as lead vocals on Black Nasty - is this Johnnie Mae's daughter?

I don't know about you, but I love it when life throws up these little soul titbits and teasers....I should get out more :P Jo

Black Nasty: Audrey Matthews, Terrance Ellis (vocals); Jackie Cosper (guitar, background vocals); Thomas Carter (keyboards, background vocals); Mark Patterson (bass, background vocals); Artwell Matthews, Jr. (drums, background vocals); Mary Davis Eula Buford, Maxine Jones (background vocals). Producers: Sir Mack Rice, Johnnie Mae Matthews. Recorded at Pampa Studio & Pac-3 Studio, Detroit, Michigan. Includes liner notes by Rob Bowman. Digitally remastered by Joe Tarrantino (1999, Fanatasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

Yes, I think it's Johnnie Mae's daughter and there is also a label named after her, if I still get the things together correctly.

Cheers, Martin

Edited by soulie78
Social source share

Isn't there another version of something by Audery Matthews ?

BTW Jo I can't take credit for Te Girls line up ID..it came from someone of the Southern Soul list. But at 9.13m on a Sunday morning I haven't got anothing better to do with my time.

Well I have actually, but I'm here on my own.

And ping pong with one person doesn't really work.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

That'll be the one Soul Slider...I think it's on a CD somewhere.

I just thought it was brilliant that the original line up of the Girls were still in the business...well, in 1999. Ady should get them over for Cleethorpes :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Yes, I think it's Johnnie Mae's daughter and there is also a label named after her, if I still get the things together correctly.

Cheers, Martin

Yes Audrey is Johnnie Mae's daughter she was a prominent singer in the family's first grouop Raw Integrated Funk which evolved into Black Nasty. Still love 'Cut Your Motor Off'. Audrey was born in 1956 and stayed with Black Nasty through their Detroit days at Big HIt, and I think three records with Stax. Audrey eventually married Black Nasty's other permanent lead singer Terrance Ellis. They now have kids - rappers on the Detroit hip-hop scene apparently.

Funk collectors chase the 'Talking to the People' LP which is rare and collectable. It has a great photo of Audrey as a street-cleaner with the rest of the Nasties.

The Girls - Mary Davis, Eula Buford and Maxine Jones are the credited on the album too. I think you can get a CD via Dusty Grooves in Chicago.

Edited by soulfulsaint
Social source share

Just thought this might interest someone :lol:

Having nothing better to do with my time at 07.30 on a Sunday morning ( laugh.gif ) I Iooked up info on the line up of Eula Buford, Maxine Jones and Mary Davis.....look what Google found...they were backing singers on an album from 1999 produced by none other than Sir Mack Rice and Johnnie Mae Matthews. There is one Audrey Matthews as lead vocals on Black Nasty - is this Johnnie Mae's daughter?

I don't know about you, but I love it when life throws up these little soul titbits and teasers....I should get out more wink.gif Jo

Yes, she is her daughter. If you look on the back of any black nasty LP, you will always see that they sight Johnnie Mae as there mentor. As for the Memphis connection Sir Mack Rice has houses in both cities, and works between the two. He also had a couple of labels in Memphis, but can't remember the name off hand. But will try and find them later. As many will know Johnnie died a few years back. She was a dynamic part of the Detroit soul scene, a bit of a card, always ducking and diving to make things happen. Several of her children are involved in the music industry. But none of them have any of her records left, think it was Anderson who cleaned them out years back. All her material is in the hands of a sharp lawyer.Black Nasty, recorded about 4 LP's under that name an several under a couple of other names, but again a bit early to be more focused than that. :D

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Black Nasty: Audrey Matthews, Terrance Ellis (vocals); Jackie Cosper (guitar, background vocals); Thomas Carter (keyboards, background vocals); Mark Patterson (bass, background vocals); Artwell Matthews, Jr. (drums, background vocals);

JMM's son, also had a label named after him; "ART"

Social source share

Yes, she is her daughter. If you look on the back of any black nasty LP, you will always see that they sight Johnnie Mae as there mentor. As for the Memphis connection Sir Mack Rice has houses in both cities, and works between the two. He also had a couple of labels in Memphis, but can't remember the name off hand. But will try and find them later. As many will know Johnnie died a few years back. She was a dynamic part of the Detroit soul scene, a bit of a card, always ducking and diving to make things happen. Several of her children are involved in the music industry. But none of them have any of her records left, think it was Anderson who cleaned them out years back. All her material is in the hands of a sharp lawyer.Black Nasty, recorded about 4 LP's under that name an several under a couple of other names, but again a bit early to be more focused than that. :lol:

Dave

Didn't Black Nasty evolve into the A.D.C Band. They cut four or five albums on Cotillion. Funk P-Funk sort of stuff. Could'nt tell you if they were any good now without spending the rest of the morning digging. They obviously didn't make much of an impact on me!

However, the ADC lead singer was Kaiya Matthews who must be one of the clan. Now she cut some wonderful 12"s on the Northern label back in the 80s. I've got two, the best being "Cago" which if my failing memory serves me correctly was covered up by Soul Sam as "one man cell" and sank without trace after two weeks.

The other side is a great two stepper.

Regards Alan (I should be hoovering) Darker

Social source share

Guest malayka

Didn't Black Nasty evolve into the A.D.C Band. They cut four or five albums on Cotillion. Funk P-Funk sort of stuff. Could'nt tell you if they were any good now without spending the rest of the morning digging. They obviously didn't make much of an impact on me!

However, the ADC lead singer was Kaiya Matthews who must be one of the clan. Now she cut some wonderful 12"s on the Northern label back in the 80s. I've got two, the best being "Cago" which if my failing memory serves me correctly was covered up by Soul Sam as "one man cell" and sank without trace after two weeks.

The other side is a great two stepper.

Regards Alan (I should be hoovering) Darker

That's it more awake now, yes they did move on as the ADC and yes is one of the clan, think it is another daughter. Also agree about the 12"'s on Northern great tunes

Social source share

Just thought this might interest someone :D

Having nothing better to do with my time at 07.30 on a Sunday morning ( :D ) I Iooked up info on the line up of Eula Buford, Maxine Jones and Mary Davis.....look what Google found...they were backing singers on an album from 1999 produced by none other than Sir Mack Rice and Johnnie Mae Matthews. There is one Audrey Matthews as lead vocals on Black Nasty - is this Johnnie Mae's daughter?

I don't know about you, but I love it when life throws up these little soul titbits and teasers....I should get out more :D Jo

Was curious who they were .

Brillant Tune

:D:D:D

Dolly

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert