Modern Soul Monster Not On Vinyl Or Cd :(

Simon M

Re: 'Lets Groove'

Yes, strangely enough I'm aware of that one. :thumbsup:

Hmmm... which kind of goes in the opposite direction to this... :thumbsup:

Not by a long long way imho Mart, it's another one that will only be liked by many because it's a new tune that attempts to sound old.
Social source share

• Replies 76
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Re: 'Lets Groove'

Hmmm... which kind of goes in the opposite direction to this... :thumbsup:

How do you work that out? There's absolutely no correlation between the content of my two statements!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Don't Shine - Luther fall into this category though Rog.

Totally, but that's a great record, as are the Vincent Montana Philly type records. I think the John Legend track is mediocre and far from the best modern tune of the year, that's all I was saying.

Social source share

My mistake Rog, I wrongly assumed you knew that 'Let's Groove ' was an old Archie Bell track from the 70's. The new version is done very much in an old retro style .

I like it a lot :thumbsup: ... to the point where I prefer it to Archie's original which has never been amongst my favourite track of his. I played the new version on the Starpoint radio show last week.

Heres a snatch (oo err) for those what wants to hear it !

Social source share

My mistake Rog, I wrongly assumed you knew that 'Let's Groove ' was an old Archie Bell track from the 70's. The new version is done very much in an old retro style .

Simon, the 1997 Funky Company version of 'Let's Groove' that's on Soul Togetherness isn't done in a retro style, certainly not in comparison with style of the Vince Montana or John Legend, not to my ears anyway, it's very much a contemporary reworking a la Incognito if anything, but minor quibbles aside and whatever style either of us hear in it, it's a fantastic track and a 'Soul Underground' monster over the last few months. :thumbsup: I'm glad it came off the sub's bench and made the comp because it very nearly didn't!! :D

My original point wasn't to criticise the new releases that sound old, I couldn't agree with you more about the new Vince Montana stuff being a totally relevant and fantastic strand of today's soul music, the new one from Double Exposure that's on Traxsource at the moment will be another monster, guaranteed, it's vibrant and it's exciting music, no question, especially for a dancefloor. I don't particularly want to get into a debate about it with you because it's well documented that our personal views on it all are pretty much at opposite ends of the soul spectrum, but I just find it a little disappointing that it's only these old sounding new releases that are accepted by many, when there actually is plenty of great new music being made today and it doesn't necessarily follow that all today's artists are simply trying to imitate the greats of years gone by, that's just something that old blokes on the soul scene think!! :D

Here's the link for the Double Exposure:

https://www.traxsource.com/index.php?act=sh...les&cv=5097

Bloody wonderful.

Toodle pip!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

[Ok Rog..my mistake. I thought when you said about the John Legend track-

"Not by a long long way imho Mart, it's another one that will only be liked by many because it's a new tune that attempts to sound old" -

You were being down on retro styled tracks but as you now say, you weren't. :thumbsup:

Glad we cleared that up ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Agreed on the Funky Company Roger.

As for Vincent Montana, the man's got an uncanny knack of making old tracks sound new & new tracks sound old in a dancefloor friendly kind of way. Great stuff :thumbsup:

Getting back to the original topic. The Legend track was played twice on Saturday at Modernism. The single was played by Kev Briscoe & like i said earlier it was the biggest tune of the night, the Freddie Estefez remix was played by me & went down like a lead balloon (shows what i know as i prefer this version).

The main reason for my original post was to hopefully introduce some new music to a crowd who predominatly prefer older music in the hope it might just give a bit of interest into newer tracks & hopefully open the doors to a few more punters.

Not easy i know but giant Oak trees etc.

Funny thing is i'm not a fan of John Legend but i just feel this track has got a certain something that might appeal to a broader crowd.

Just out of curiousity Roger, what did you think of John Legends collaboration with Ray Charles from a few months ago?

Mart...

Social source share

Dodger said:

Simon, the 1997 Funky Company version of 'Let's Groove' that's on Soul Togetherness isn't done in a retro style, certainly not in comparison with style of the Vince Montana or John Legend, not to my ears anyway, it's very much a contemporary reworking a la Incognito if anything, but minor quibbles aside and whatever style either of us hear in it, it's a fantastic track and a 'Soul Underground' monster over the last few months. :) I'm glad it came off the sub's bench and made the comp because it very nearly didn't!! :yes:

My original point wasn't to criticise the new releases that sound old, I couldn't agree with you more about the new Vince Montana stuff being a totally relevant and fantastic strand of today's soul music, the new one from Double Exposure that's on Traxsource at the moment will be another monster, guaranteed, it's vibrant and it's exciting music, no question, especially for a dancefloor. I don't particularly want to get into a debate about it with you because it's well documented that our personal views on it all are pretty much at opposite ends of the soul spectrum, but I just find it a little disappointing that it's only these old sounding new releases that are accepted by many, when there actually is plenty of great new music being made today and it doesn't necessarily follow that all today's artists are simply trying to imitate the greats of years gone by, that's just something that old blokes on the soul scene think!! :yes:

Here's the link for the Double Exposure:

Bloody wonderful.

Toodle pip!! :lol:

I had the Double Exposure track sent through earlier this month ...great that it's fully available now. The tune felt a little weak at first but it's grown on me over the weeks. Lead voice Jimmy Williams sang on the Ian Levine produced Trammps tracks, including a version of 'Ten Percent' (which I'm proud to say was my suggestion !) which came out in the early 90's on Network in some retro styled mixes.

Got the new 'Soul Togetherness 2006' CD yesterday. There's no doubt a lot of the tracks have a 'retro' feel about them , like the 'Funky Company' track which as Roger says is from 1997 (nine years ago) and sounds very 'Incognito' a band that epitomises everything good about Modern Soul because Bluey acknowledges the past and its importance....not a bad thing at all imho but all part of the Soul legacy of the last 40 years.And they sound great because of that legacy.

I really like the Trace tracks on 'Togetherness' 'Ain't For Free' andJanita's 'Oh' and even Kirk Franklin with it's Patrice Rushen sample is starting to sound good to me now !

Regards 'Shine' (which unfortunately Expansion couldn't clear for the compilation) and 'Lord'.. well given that 'Shine' credits Chic in the writers (because of the use of the 'My Forbidden Lover' bit) and that 'Lord' uses the riff from 'Cheryl Lynns 'Got To Be Real' unless my ears decieve me, and are new tracks it's sounds to me as though you can't deceid if you do or don't like new music Rog.

Maybe you just think that only the music YOU like is the only good music! :yes:

Toodle Pip ! :yes:

Social source share

it's sounds to me as though you can't deceid if you do or don't like new music Rog.

That would be because you choose to misinterpret and try and find an argument against absolutely everything I post whether it deserves one or not. :)

Social source share

That would be because you choose to misinterpret and try and find an argument against absolutely everything I post whether it deserves one or not. :thumbsup:

Crikey Roger,

Is there a Full Moon or wot?

Lots of petty sniping going on, on these boards, over the past few days.

I'm keeping out of it!

:thumbsup:

But I do think Martyn's John Legend tip is a goodie!

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

That would be because you choose to misinterpret and try and find an argument against absolutely everything I post whether it deserves one or not. :thumbsup:

Oh no Rog, but I do question your chop and change reasoning sometimes though bless ya ! :thumbsup:

Toodle pip !

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

CUNNIE said:
Guess that was the kind of answer i expected from a Paul Anka fan :D

Might be wrong here hence the question mark but i can see this crossing over into northern rooms in a similar fashion to stuff like Angie Stone etc. Be interesting to see if someone like Sam picks up on it in the coming months.

As for comparing JL to Marvin Gaye fair comment but how many artists stand up to MG regardless of era?

My tune of the year?

Ask me at the end of December but the frontrunner so far has to be Unified Tribe's album (i think!)

Must admit I wasn't keen after watching the live clip (and couldn't find the remix thing on the page :thumbsup: ) but just got Crazybeat's latest list and played the clip from the 12" on there ...and gotta say I quite like it as a song.. reminds me of something that was in the mainstream charts a couple of years back though, sort of indie band, forgotten who... but don't think it's anywhere near the best modern thing I've heard this year (and I'm hardly an expert on that :D ).

Not sure about the crossing over into Northern rooms either, the 'Stormy' sample might get it a few plays, but think it might be a bit laidback... rather hear this than 'Tribute to Betty' any day though :thumbsup:

Social source share

ruffsounds said:

check this out for a modern sound let me know if its got a chance on the scene.

cheers Ruffsounds

Like this one, has a sort of Lou Rawls feel. I think that Arthur Prysock was around from the 50s onwards, heard a few nice Modernish tracks by him, nothng remotely Northern. I assume this is a 70s recording, details if possible, is he still around?

Social source share

Like this one, has a sort of Lou Rawls feel. I think that Arthur Prysock was around from the 50s onwards, heard a few nice Modernish tracks by him, nothng remotely Northern. I assume this is a 70s recording, details if possible, is he still around?

Few details..'I Wantcha Baby' written by Gamble and Huff which might explain the Lou Rawls sound. Arranged by John Davis. Released 1977- Old Town 1001

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Who in 2006, in your opinion Tone, are those worthy of 'walkin in their shoes' - cos I have trouble seeing who, in recent years, will be held in such high esteem in the future.

...You and me both, Girf - which is a shame because I really do enjoy a lot of new stuff, and I really do keep looking out for someone who isn't merely "The New Marvin Gaye" or "The New Al Green" but who, like these and other artists we so admire, is doing his or her own thing and leading where others follow, instead of merely hitching their wagon to someone else's star.

I saw Davell Crawford in Italy in the Summer - he's not really mainstream soul, but he's a young man with a talent that is mostly his, rather than borrowed, and I can recommend him to anyone who likes something a bit left of centre. I don't count Angie Stone as a new artists because she's been knocking around since the late 70s - but I do like Jill Scott very much and wish she'd make a few more records than she has to date. Beverley Knight, too, is a talent and a half and someone who I wish had been around in another era, where she would have gotten great songs and sympathetic A & R.

On the whole, though, I think the music business has lowered its standards as to what makes a great singer - these days, any young bit of totty with an acceptable figure, and the ability to stretch the word 'me' over 68 syllables is immediately categorised as a 'diva'. I once saw a press release that described five minute wonder Samantha Mumba as a "16 year old Irish R & B Diva" - yeah, right...

I do rather like the Ron Hall track, but somewhat inevitably I have to admit that, for me at least, the best new record of 2006 is Kool & The Gang's "Steppin' Into Love"...

TONE :lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Well remember where you heard this first

Not modern

But this year

AMY WINEHOUSE

REHAB

BEST BY A MILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...er, yeah - but we already 'heard this first' on at least two other threads here, Pete. Keep up, there's a good chap! :shades::huh::huh:

TONE

Social source share

Few details..'I Wantcha Baby' written by Gamble and Huff which might explain the Lou Rawls sound. Arranged by John Davis. Released 1977- Old Town 1001

Thanks for the info Simon, just looked on the Manship site, this one isn't available unfortunately, must say I really like it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert