Simon M

• Replies 76
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dodger

Appeals to me but as is with these "really modern" sounds its difficult to decide which version or mix out of the 10 is my fave :D

There's two or three very good mixes, which is unusual, but the Reel Soul Main Vocal mix is the one that does it for me. A fantastic, quality and uplifting dance tune, totally instant. :D

Social source share

Same here Roger, thought the Reel Soul Mix was the best but had to have a listen to the Ron Carroll mix as well.

Hopefully Fish will come up with the goods & get some promo's in so the vinyl buffs won't have to wait until October to get there mitts on a copy.

Social source share

Guest SteveC

There's two or three very good mixes, which is unusual, but the Reel Soul Main Vocal mix is the one that does it for me. A fantastic, quality and uplifting dance tune, totally instant. :D

Yes that and the Ron Carroll BMC mix are hard to choose between - any cut that the backing vocals are more prominent in usually does it for me.

Social source share

Sorry Lads,

But I tried.

I listened to every version, really tried to find something to like....but failed miserably.

I just don''t get it. It sounded like elevator muzak. Sort of nondescript disco gubbins. The word used to describe this in the opening post was "awesome". I now accept that I ain't never gonna get it. PERIOD.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

What I don't get is this.

If you take dance music from 1960 then dance music from 1965/1970/1975/1980/1985 and 1990 you can tell the differences and see how the sounds developed. This kind of stuff just hasn't moved on, it's just repeating the same formula over and over again and has been for years. There are hundreds of records that sound like this most are interesting for three and a half minutes and they're always the next big thing. Most of the good stuff uses samples or is a cover version because otherwise there's nothing distinctive. This has no song, no melody, a tired formulaic vocal and could have been recorded at any time over the last ten years.

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Sorry Lads,

But I tried.

I listened to every version, really tried to find something to like....but failed miserably.

I just don''t get it. It sounded like elevator muzak. Sort of nondescript disco gubbins. The word used to describe this in the opening post was "awesome". I now accept that I ain't never gonna get it. PERIOD.

Fair comment Dave, each to their own and all that mate. :D

Roger

Social source share

You cant please everyone, but this is gonna be a MONSTER , proper DJ Paul Phillips is playing it on Solar already . A Quality vocal performance ! Its on my mixdown harddrive ready to rock . :D:D:D

Simon M

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Dodger

You cant please everyone, but this is gonna be a MONSTER , proper DJ Paul Phillips is playing it on Solar already . A Quality vocal performance ! Its on my mixdown harddrive already. :D:D:D

Simon M

It's a corker of an example of it's genre Mister Murray, thanks for bringing it to our attention. Big up yer'self fella. :D

Social source share

It's a corker of an example of it's genre Mister Murray, thanks for bringing it to our attention. Big up yer'self fella. :D

Thank you Dodger , and as you are a multimedia type DJ( vinyl ,cd, harddrive ),, I assume you will be playing it to the masses soon :D

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Thank you Dodger , and as you are a multimedia type DJ( vinyl ,cd, harddrive ),, I assume you will be playing it to the masses soon :D

It'd be rude not to don't you think? :D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

This is awesome , surely Ivor , Randle annd Hopkirk like it :D

I'm not anti new records in any way, but surely a better and more accurate description of this would be 'mediocre' - It does nothing, goes nowhere, its soul content is minimal and the singer is, as Simon points out, just one step above Stevie Wonder karaoke level...

In the final analysis, it's just another contemporary dance record that no-one will be talking about in 12 months time, let alone 40 years. If it got played at any do I'm attending I'd probably use the time to have a slash or buy a beer rather than dance to it.

Hope this opinion doesn't put too many noses out of joint - it's just an opinion after all!

TONE :D

Social source share

I'm not anti new records in any way, but surely a better and more accurate description of this would be 'mediocre' - It does nothing, goes nowhere, its soul content is minimal and the singer is, as Simon points out, just one step above Stevie Wonder karaoke level...

In the final analysis, it's just another contemporary dance record that no-one will be talking about in 12 months time, let alone 40 years. If it got played at any do I'm attending I'd probably use the time to have a slash or buy a beer rather than dance to it.

Hope this opinion doesn't put too many noses out of joint - it's just an opinion after all!

TONE :)

+++++++++++++

Alrite Tone , A lot of people do , drink a lot a beer and slash a lot these days :D

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Hope this opinion doesn't put too many noses out of joint

That sounds like somebody who has a very high opinion of their own opinion to me!! :D:D:)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

That sounds like somebody who has a very high opinion of their own opinion to me!! :D:D:)

...who made you the King Of Modern Soul, then?

My opinion's just an opinion - it won't change the world, nor the minds of anyone who thinks this is a great record. I have the right to express it here, as it's a forum, and you have the right to disagree. What you don't have is the right to express an opinion of me - even with three laughing smiley's after it - anymore than I have of you, and you will notice that i haven't...

I just think that the collecting world would be a better place if the amount of use of words like "awesome" were scaled back and applied only to records that really ARE awsome - which this patently is not, and not even close to being.

If anyone can get truly excited about something this ordinary, I'd hate to be their heart rate when a really classy piece of modern soul comes along!

Social source share

Guest Dodger

...who made you the King Of Modern Soul, then?

My opinion's just an opinion - it won't change the world, nor the minds of anyone who thinks this is a great record. I have the right to express it here, as it's a forum, and you have the right to disagree. What you don't have is the right to express an opinion of me - even with three laughing smiley's after it - anymore than I have of you, and you will notice that i haven't...

I just think that the collecting world would be a better place if the amount of use of words like "awesome" were scaled back and applied only to records that really ARE awsome - which this patently is not, and not even close to being.

If anyone can get truly excited about something this ordinary, I'd hate to be their heart rate when a really classy piece of modern soul comes along!

I'm sorry Tony, I can't seem to find that character assassination on you I must have typed out to warrant such an over the top reaction!! :D:):D I was simply wondering why you'd assume I (or anyone else) would have their noses put out of joint by you expressing a negative opinion? It's one track amongst millions. I love it, you don't, so what? :D

Social source share

TONE :thumbsup:

Simmer down chaps - one mans "awesome" is another mans "awful".

I quite like it but hey ho it's only a tune & it's not gonna stop the world trying to blow each other up or bring my energy bills down. :D:yes:

Social source share

Simmer down chaps - one mans "awesome" is another mans "awful".

I quite like it but hey ho it's only a tune & it's not gonna stop the world trying to blow each other up or bring my energy bills down. :thumbsup::)

Thanks for that epic ,, but yeah in my book HUGE MONSTER FLOOR PACKER soulful dancer ..hahhahaha whistling.gif

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Tune of the year so far on the modern scene maybe?

1st link is John Legend on Oprah singing Save Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC4w2FrCTVs...ated&search=No prizes for what it sounds like.

2nd link is to the Frankie Eztefez remix (takes a couple of seconds to load, click on save room on the music player on the right)

Let me know what you all think (say it for ya Baz, disco s###e :P )

Mart...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE
CUNNIE said:

...A frightfully mediocre song performed (off key, for the most part) by a frightfully mediocre singer, who wouldn't have gotten even a sniff of a record deal in the era of the people he tries in vain to emulate.

JL is really better than the kind of people who turn up on 'Stars In their Eyes', pretending they are someone whose shoes they're not fit to polish much less walk in, and in fact worse than many of them. He may be a 'legend' but it'll always be in name only.

Now if you'll excuse me I think I need to be getting back to my Al Green and Marvin Gaye records...

TONE :P

Social source share

...A frightfully mediocre song performed (off key, for the most part) by a frightfully mediocre singer, who wouldn't have gotten even a sniff of a record deal in the era of the people he tries in vain to emulate.

JL is really better than the kind of people who turn up on 'Stars In their Eyes', pretending they are someone whose shoes they're not fit to polish much less walk in, and in fact worse than many of them. He may be a 'legend' but it'll always be in name only.

Now if you'll excuse me I think I need to be getting back to my Al Green and Marvin Gaye records...

Who in 2006, in your opinion Tone, are those worthy of 'walkin in their shoes' - cos I have trouble seeing who, in recent years, will be held in such high esteem in the future. Like you, I can't see it being John Legend's MOBO fodder !!

And Jerry, no offence - I know its hugely popular but Alex's boring, sample driven 'Lord' as the best of 2006 - it makes me shudder.... :P

Girf

Social source share

Got to agree withTone, Terrible! If that is the standard of 'modern' soul singers, then its a sad day for soul! :P

Social source share

TONE :(

Guess that was the kind of answer i expected from a Paul Anka fan :lol:

Might be wrong here hence the question mark but i can see this crossing over into northern rooms in a similar fashion to stuff like Angie Stone etc. Be interesting to see if someone like Sam picks up on it in the coming months.

As for comparing JL to Marvin Gaye fair comment but how many artists stand up to MG regardless of era?

My tune of the year?

Ask me at the end of December but the frontrunner so far has to be Unified Tribe's album (i think!)

Social source share

Guess that was the kind of answer i expected from a Paul Anka fan :(

Might be wrong here hence the question mark but i can see this crossing over into northern rooms in a similar fashion to stuff like Angie Stone etc. Be interesting to see if someone like Sam picks up on it in the coming months.

As for comparing JL to Marvin Gaye fair comment but how many artists stand up to MG regardless of era?

My tune of the year?

Ask me at the end of December but the frontrunner so far has to be Unified Tribe's album (i think!)

i like it nice tune.

rupert

Social source share

Not by a long long way imho Mart, it's another one that will only be liked by many because it's a new tune that attempts to sound old.

Social source share

Not by a long long way imho Mart, it's another one that will only be liked by many because it's a new tune that attempts to sound old.

Totally agree with you 100% Roger.

Put up the original post as a general outlook of the year so far from a man in the street point of view. Sure you can see that from the Angie Stone reference.

Willing to have a little wager with you though, bet at the end of the year when all the silly posts go up it's right up there with Luther & Alexander O'Niell & it's gonna be the biggest seller by far. The stakes for the bet? How about a king size Mars bar.

Was certainly the biggest tune from a dancefloor point of view tonight at Modernism & i bet it was at SU as well if it was played.

Not only that, it must have something going for it if Tony Rounce hates it with a vengance :(

Hope this post makes a bit of sense, just that i've had a few bottles of Bud so it'll probably get edited in't morning after the asprins have kicked in :lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Let me know what you all think

Mart...

I prefer the Beyonce track. I lean towards 60s and 70s and R&B but if i have to listen to modern I'd rather listen to something modern and funky like Franke Estevez than someone trying to imitate the sound of the past like John Legend or Nicole Willis.

it's another one that will only be liked by many because it's a new tune that attempts to sound old.

That's what makes me dislike it more. I can't stand these 60s and 70s sound alike pastiches. :angry:

Social source share

I prefer the Beyonce track. I lean towards 60s and 70s and R&B but if i have to listen to modern I'd rather listen to something modern and funky like Franke Estevez than someone trying to imitate the sound of the past like John Legend or Nicole Willis.

Not sure about the John Legend reference Matt, but I like where you're coming from with this general statement..........especially Frankie Estevez...........don't sleep peeps :-))))))

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest soul4life

2006 has been a great year! for uptempo soul music the forth coming release on vinyl of vince montana,s latest offering is a testament to that sure to pack the dancefloors at soul venues accross the soul world..and still 3 months to go!!! am doin 100 c.ds for the next hilton event to give away featuring the best of 2006 soulful dance grooves..also a classic streetsoul c.d..regards terry :ohmy::P:D

Social source share

Contentious one this...if Soul music, which arguably has a 45 year long history now, is to keep any credibility as a genre, it has to look back constantly to it's roots just as Jazz has always done..in other words it has to look backwards to move forwards

....but...

I think the problem with a lot of Modern Soul is the incredible blandness it seems to inspire in the artist. Of course, if they are striving for a mainstream acceptance, then market forces will dicatate that they maybe emulate someone like Stevie Wonder or Donnie Hathaway who are so beloved of the mainstream and the music biz execs understand them.

But when that emulation just produces a pale imitation then whats the point? So many of them are just forgettable and wishy washy.

Some new tracks in an old style just reinforce the strength of Soul music and it's different guises. So the new Vince Montana tracks for instance pay homage to what went before ..and reinforce the idea of classic Philly dance from the 70's as more than juust 'Disco' and give that sound the credibilty in deserves asa recognised and fantastic strand of Soul music.

Why shouldn't new Soul tracks be recorded in an old style?.. if Ramsey Lewis or Herbie Hancock recorded an album in classic Jazz style if would be perfectly acceptable.

There's a new version of Archie Bells 'Let's Groove' for instance which works really well...better dare I say it than the original.

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

There's a new version of Archie Bells 'Let's Groove' for instance which works really well...better dare I say it than the original.

Yes, strangely enough I'm aware of that one. :ohmy:

Social source share

And just how NEW is it????????????????????? :ohmy:

New to a forthcoming compilation possibly????????????? :D

I put it to you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, that Mr. Epic actually knows the answer to both those questions!! :P:D:D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert