Soul Nights - Dwindling Attendances?

true PD stamford is spot on (last one reviewed on www.playsforplaytime.org and there's some pix just posted on soul source, for me it's a success because the variety of QUALITY soul music played, may it go on for ever more. :)

Coop you mist a good night at the fez last Friday the dance floor was banging and you could feel the floor move because its sprung, with the new sound system the hair at the back of your neck stood up with over 200 true entertainers from across the country came danced & listened to sounds from the past from Al Taylor, Graham Weaver, Mort, Rob Wicks and myself there were some tunes played a couple of times but the floor stayed full. I wish to thank Glyn Williams for taking some picks. Here we go with my track list played and also on the Anniversary CD:

Baby You're The Fire,

If This Is Love,

You've Been Away,

Dance, Dance, Dance,

Soul Time,

I'm Falling In Love With You Baby,

Hurt,

A Little Bit Hurt,

I Can't Change,

Oh My Darling,

Competition Ain't Nothing,

Landslide,

Our Love Will Grow,

Angel Baby (Don't You Ever Leave Me),

The Shotgun & The Duck,

Have Some Everybody,

I'm Where It's At,

Run For Cover,

You Don't Mean Me No Good,

Blowing Up My Mind,

This Will Be A Night To Remember

& my last record was Take Me Girl Im Ready. There were some new faces that attended the Fez and I do hope you enjoyed it, Ann, Daisy & I wish to thank you all for the support and again what a night we will not forget any of you

Dwindling attendance NO WE AT THE FEZ HAVE ONLY JUST STARTED

DONT FORGET YOU RECORDS PAL

K.T.F

Dendog

Edited by Dendog
Social source share

• Replies 115
  • Views 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Baby You're The Fire,

If This Is Love,

You've Been Away,

Dance, Dance, Dance,

Soul Time,

I'm Falling In Love With You Baby,

Hurt,

A Little Bit Hurt,

I Can't Change,

Oh My Darling,

Competition Ain't Nothing,

Landslide,

Our Love Will Grow,

Angel Baby (Don't You Ever Leave Me),

The Shotgun & The Duck,

Have Some Everybody,

I'm Where It's At,

Run For Cover,

You Don't Mean Me No Good,

Blowing Up My Mind,

This Will Be A Night To Remember

& my last record was Take Me Girl Im Ready.

Nice selection of tunes ..........

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought, for those who asked, a quick bump to say that the gig that started this thread... is on again tonight!

Room At The Back

Crown Inn

Spondon Derby

Tonight's guests are:

Steve G (Mr Guarnori himself)

Mark Houghton.

With Fish, Brian, Colin etc.

Both making a journey to the Midlands for our listening pleasure.

A 'tight' back room gig with Dancefloor, Stage, good Sound System, well stocked bar, more than ample seating... the works.

And the music will be SENSATIONAL!

Look forward to meeting a few fellow 'Sourcers' there....

:thumbsup:

Many thanks

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Just thought, for those who asked, a quick bump to say that the gig that started this thread... is on again tonight!

Room At The Back

Crown Inn

Spondon Derby

Tonight's guests are:

Steve G (Mr Guarnori himself)

Mark Houghton.

With Fish, Brian, Colin etc.

Both making a journey to the Midlands for our listening pleasure.

A 'tight' back room gig with Dancefloor, Stage, good Sound System, well stocked bar, more than ample seating... the works.

And the music will be SENSATIONAL!

Look forward to meeting a few fellow 'Sourcers' there....

:(

Many thanks

Sean Hampsey

Great venue.

Great system.

Totally great music.

Great company but same result Sean :lol:

Really pisses me off when folks can't be bothered to get off there arses & support quality nights like this.

Know there's a lot on at the moment but surely this venue deserves more support than it got last night.

Thing is it will be the folks who could'nt be arsed to attend venues like this who will be the 1st to moan when there's nowhere to go as nights like this have to shut due to lack of punters through the doors.

Makes my fcuking blood boil at times......

Social source share

Just read through the whole thread, would have commented earlier but was away on holiday when it started.

Too many nights is one of the main reasons for dwindling attendances, most punters don't want to have to travel cos they like a beer these days, so easier to go local, music policy doesn't really come into it where beers concerned :ohmy:

Too many people know each other so when chatting/reviewing their local soul night almost always will give it a 'big up' even if it's not that good, there's a definite loyalty thing goes on. Sean asked for numbers views from promoters re: their nights, did any of them say, I run a sh*t night, with hardly anybody in? Or, don't come to my night, the one down the road is far better :P Doesn't happen does it, so the only way to tell is go to the venue yourself, (probably a couple of times at least) and make your own call.

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians, particularly when it comes to the chiefs telling the punters what should and shouldn't be played. Seen it on here dozens of times, someone puts up a playlist and immediately it's disected, too many oldies, this has is overplayed etc etc. That basically equates to, the one criticising the playlist thinking that he/she knows best, and is very irritating to the vast majority of punters. These same chiefs also like to tell people that youngsters don't come onto the scene because they are put off by punters clothes.....absolute bag of bollox. Get all the soulies together put them in velour track suits, bucket hats, bling, sure that would be an inspiration to young people :D Youngsters would be mortified if we 'moderned' our outfits to reflect their own. And on this point, if punters aren't meant to wear bags etc, just what is permissable/advisable/allowed? Answers on a post card from the style gurus please :D

Too many factions within the scene each having their own agendas, and touting for disciples to follow the one true path. If people could accept that the scene is diverse, because as a species we are, then perhaps it wouldn't fragment as quickly as it is Reading another thread last week, noticed a couple of posts about an American weekender (sorry for forgetting your names guys) And they seem to have it right, fu*k the internal politics, go out and enjoy yourselves, and don't criticise anybody else cos they're enjoying themselves differently :D

Winnie :-)

PS. Realise the youngster thing has been done to death, but do think it's relevant within a dwindling attendance thread.

Social source share

I've been following this thead for a while and I'm surprised that there's been no mention of what, as far as I'm aware, is probably the most successful soul night, numbers wise, Drax Social club. Now, I know there's controversy here, music policy, CD's etc. but it attracts 200+ punters not once but twice a month. I don't go personally as it doesn't appeal to me for various reasons but you can't deny it's incredibly successful. Not only that, but it built it's audience primarily through word of mouth, with little or no advertising.

I went a few times when it first opened so it may have changed now but the main reasons why it does so well haven't altered.

Price - Cheap to get in, I think it's £3 now. Cheap bar as it's a Social Club attached to the power station.

Venue - Massive dance floor, proper stage. Plenty of free parking

Location - OK, it's in the middle of nowhere, but it's a couple of miles from the M62 and close to the A1. No driving into town centers and worrying about parking and car safety. This not only gives it a big catchment area, York, Doncaster, Leeds. but it keeps the d1ckheads out. You wouldn't drive there if all you were interested in was a few after hours pints.

Music Policy - Oldies, played on whatever media's available. In the early days it was all CDs although I've been told that's changed now. Does the willingness to play from any available media take out a lot of the politics?

Playlist - In the early days they played a lot of Cleethorpes oldies which made it slightly different to most oldies nights which were (are?) Wigan focussed. However, on the times I've been it's been incredibly predictable, even down to the time certain records were played.

As I've said I don't go, but I know a good number of people who do. Without exception they all describe it in the same way. 'Poor musically, but a damn good social night out.' So does this mean that, for the majority of soul fans the venue and bar prices are more important than the music? If it does then we've certainly turned into our parents

Kev

Social source share

I've been following this thead for a while and I'm surprised that there's been no mention of what, as far as I'm aware, is probably the most successful soul night, numbers wise, Drax Social club. Now, I know there's controversy here, music policy, CD's etc. but it attracts 200+ punters not once but twice a month. I don't go personally as it doesn't appeal to me for various reasons but you can't deny it's incredibly successful. Not only that, but it built it's audience primarily through word of mouth, with little or no advertising.

I went a few times when it first opened so it may have changed now but the main reasons why it does so well haven't altered.

Price - Cheap to get in, I think it's £3 now. Cheap bar as it's a Social Club attached to the power station.

Venue - Massive dance floor, proper stage. Plenty of free parking

Location - OK, it's in the middle of nowhere, but it's a couple of miles from the M62 and close to the A1. No driving into town centers and worrying about parking and car safety. This not only gives it a big catchment area, York, Doncaster, Leeds. but it keeps the d1ckheads out. You wouldn't drive there if all you were interested in was a few after hours pints.

Music Policy - Oldies, played on whatever media's available. In the early days it was all CDs although I've been told that's changed now. Does the willingness to play from any available media take out a lot of the politics?

Playlist - In the early days they played a lot of Cleethorpes oldies which made it slightly different to most oldies nights which were (are?) Wigan focussed. However, on the times I've been it's been incredibly predictable, even down to the time certain records were played.

As I've said I don't go, but I know a good number of people who do. Without exception they all describe it in the same way. 'Poor musically, but a damn good social night out.' So does this mean that, for the majority of soul fans the venue and bar prices are more important than the music? If it does then we've certainly turned into our parents

Kev

Hi Kev..I've been a few times,music is across the board stuff, its comfortable,clean air conditioned ,bear is cheap ,not sure what media is played,not bothered,its just a nice social night out,would'nt do for the purests (if thats the right word ) but if you just want a good light hearted night out ,its a cracker,I go out to enjoy myself not get bogged down with the politics of it ,its all taken a little to seriously at times ,

Bazza :thumbsup:

Edited by bazza
Social source share

whats the music policy at these cunnie? not too far away from me but this last one was same night as the fez.

On the night i attended it was 2/3 70s crossover & 1/3 more up to date modern sounds.

If you're into that sort of stuff it's your kind of venue. Sort of place where the music comes 1st but having said that it's a nice room with a good sized floor for the size of the room & cozy surroundings.

If you want the usual anthems & glitzy fliers etc it's not that sort of night.

Last Friday was my 1st visit but i'll definately be going again. Can see it becoming one of my regular haunts.

Mart...

Social source share

On the night i attended it was 2/3 70s crossover & 1/3 more up to date modern sounds.

If you're into that sort of stuff it's your kind of venue. Sort of place where the music comes 1st but having said that it's a nice room with a good sized floor for the size of the room & cozy surroundings.

If you want the usual anthems & glitzy fliers etc it's not that sort of night.

Last Friday was my 1st visit but i'll definately be going again. Can see it becoming one of my regular haunts.

Mart...

Must be me eyes,Cunnie travel?,regular?,Derby :lol:

Social source share

One reason could be that when you post on here about a new soul night (in a barren part of the country - Essex) and try to get some people enthusiastic about attending - arrange transport etc - the bloody post gets moved !!!!!!!!!!!!! What's all that about ?

Correct.

We discuss events in the events section. Sales in the sales section. Wants in the wants section and sometimes when we are feeling crazy we even load up photos in the photo section.

You may think our system is erratic and controversial but we believe it works perfectly fine.

I thought I had seen it all until i read this post tonight :)

Shane

Social source share

Correct.

We discuss events in the events section. Sales in the sales section. Wants in the wants section and sometimes when we are feeling crazy we even load up photos in the photo section.

You may think our system is erratic and controversial but we believe it works perfectly fine.

I thought I had seen it all until i read this post tonight :yes:

Shane

:lol::)

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

www.theresthatbeat.com

Social source share

Great venue.

Great system.

Totally great music.

Great company but same result Sean :)

Really pisses me off when folks can't be bothered to get off there arses & support quality nights like this.

Know there's a lot on at the moment but surely this venue deserves more support than it got last night.

Thing is it will be the folks who could'nt be arsed to attend venues like this who will be the 1st to moan when there's nowhere to go as nights like this have to shut due to lack of punters through the doors.

Makes my fcuking blood boil at times......

Cheers - think this place has real potential -

It'll be moving to Saturday's soon, so hopefully that will help......Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert