Old School V Modern

Bazza

now then, take these three tunes

C.O.D's - Im A Good Guy

Roy Hamilton - She Makes Me Wanna Dance

Barret Strong - I Better Run

All three great tunes and in my opinion instant floor fillers,do you ever hear em ,I know I dont,But why.is it cos the DJ's don't Have em ,or is it cos they have been forgotten.why is it when many old tunes never get played , certain DJ's insist on "educating" us with this modern stuff ( as you can probably tell im not a big fan of modern ) I dont dismiss all of it though, but I would much rather hear the "forgotten" 60s tunes

Bazza

Social source share

• Replies 46
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

C.O.D's - Im A Good Guy

All three great tunes and in my opinion instant floor fillers,do you ever hear em ,I know I dont,But why.is it cos the DJ's don't Have em ,or is it cos they have been forgotten.why is it when many old tunes never get played , certain DJ's insist on "educating" us with this modern stuff ( as you can probably tell im not a big fan of modern ) I dont dismiss all of it though, but I would much rather hear the "forgotten" 60s tunes

Bazza

Im with you on this one matey

Mand :O)

Social source share

Bazza

Bazza! a man after my own heart :D

Basicly far too many haven't got the balls to be a little differn't, and follow with whats hot and whats not thats my opinion anyway, im really sad that all these 'forgotten' (use the term losely BTW) hardly ever get a look in, there is plenty of places willing to play them just got to find them :D

Just at first glance dont think i know any of them three you mentioned too well will se if i can hunt them down on soul club.

P.S its not 'modern' its disco :D

Social source share

Bazza! a man after my own heart sad.png

Just at first glance dont think i know any of them three you mentioned too well will se if i can hunt them down on soul club.

P.S its not 'modern' its disco biggrin.png

For those that cant find the sound files ,here they are. (not sure if I should post em in here) they are mp3pro files ,sound better if you have a pro plugin

Bazza

Social source share

well i am rather partial to playing the C.O.D's out...gave it an airing last time i was on @ sherrries...bugger playin what everyone else plays..it doesnt have to be expensive...i recently plopped the ambers- i love you baby into a set and it sounded fab but you never hear it out these days...

cookie :D

Social source share

C.O.D's - Im A Good Guy

Bazza

If you just stick to your 6Ts, you'll end up with an aged & stale scene that nobody under 35 will be interested in joining.

Social source share

If you just stick to your 6Ts, you'll end up with an aged & stale scene that nobody under 35 will be interested in joining.

Nar..if you want modern all night , go to a disco :D

or Willington

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

I don't understand. What "problem" exists?

The 60s v so-called "Modern" argument is very boring and not really that relevant in 2006.

I (and I'm sure many others) get bored of hearing the same tired old doggerel week after week and want to hear new and interesting records from ALL eras, with quality being the only criteria.

There are plenty of venues (some would say too many) playing this sort of "old school" stuff if that's all you want to hear.

Social source share

I (and I'm sure many others) get bored of hearing the same tired old doggerel week after week and want to hear new and interesting records from ALL eras, with quality being the only criteria.

I don't, i really just wanna hear mainly 6ts with a splash of 7ts, i'm not interested in hearing any other eras of music at a do, they just don't have the production & the feel that i want from a Northern Soul record.

Simon

Social source share

I don't understand. What "problem" exists?

The 60s v so-called "Modern" argument is very boring and not really that relevant in 2006.

There are plenty of venues (some would say too many) playing this sort of "old school" stuff if that's all you want to hear.

I think a lot of people were collectively & simultaneously hit on the head by small meteorites on 31.12.69.

Net result......Groundhog Day.

Col :D

Social source share

I don't, i really just wanna hear mainly 6ts with a splash of 7ts, i'm not interested in hearing any other eras of music at a do, they just don't have the production & the feel that i want from a Northern Soul record.

Simon

:D

I love these debates!

you always get the 'i love all genres' camp, putting the 60's stalwalts down with open your ears, you cant be a 'soul' music lover ect, ect

we're just as bad because we think it has no room in the 'ideal northern genre'

Maybe i dont want to open my ears i love 60's to much to start faffing around with pants disco dross :(

say oops up side your head! say oops up side your head. :dance:

Social source share

I like all eras of music including Disco, i just don't wanna hear them at a Northern Soul do, it's as simple as that.

I've seen John Foxx & Bauhaus live in the last couple of weeks & thoroughly enjoyed both gigs but i wouldn't want to hear them played at an NS do.

A place for everything & everything in it's place or sommat like that...

Simon :D

Social source share

Guest rachel

:D

I love these debates!

you always get the 'i love all genres' camp, putting the 60's stalwalts down with open your ears, you cant be a 'soul' music lover ect, ect

Maybe i dont want to open my ears i love 60's to much to start faffing around with pants disco dross :(

I'm not getting into the argument, except to say that I think it's just a case of finding venues that do what you want and going to them.

Got one of those silly quote emails the other day which included this gem.. "I used to be open-minded but my brain kept falling out"..........

Social source share

:thumbsup:

I love these debates!

Maybe i dont want to open my ears i love 60's to much to start faffing around with pants disco dross :P

Baz

Interesting points.

The vast majority of records I own come from the 60s, however, I just recognize that soul records from other eras have their own qualities, some of which I like, some of which I don't. I certainly don't regard my musical preferences as being any better than anyone elses. I mostly collect Deep Soul these days as anything remotely interesting and "Northern" is vastly overpriced IMVHO.

These debates are fine for the first 20 or so times you see them, but ultimately they just polarize opinion needlessly.

Social source share

Simon

Good point ,most modern stuff is over produced,the odd out of place note, the odd falter in a vocal."levi stubbs" for instance ,all this is what makes an old tune .makes it "real"just my opinion of cause

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Got one of those silly quote emails the other day which included this gem.. "I used to be open-minded but my brain kept falling out"..........

:(

That my exact dialema Rach :D

Edited by Baz
Social source share

C.O.D's - Im A Good Guy

I see Quite a few have had a listen to these tunes,what do you think,would you want to hear em,are they floor fillers ,or is it just me.

Bazza

Social source share

C.O.D's - Im A Good Guy

Bazza

Definately sort you out with C O D`s at Pilsley on Saturday. See what we can do about the others mate!! :rolleyes:

Edited by bridget
Social source share

Definately sort you out with C O D`s at Pilsley on Saturday. See what we can do about the others mate!!

:thumbsup: That would be great ..love to hear it there,,gonna be a good night (feel it in me water) :rolleyes: .Think I know who you are now,one of the lads better halves ,and I did'nt see Barry at Matlock

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

C.O.D's - Im A Good Guy

Bazza

Hi Bazza

What a great tune C.O.D's" Im A Good Guy" is, funny thing though I played this out at Pilsley about 18 months ago, and guess what - completley cleared the the floor, still that was then so I will play on Saturday Bazza so you better get yourself out on the floor, and your right I was NOT a Matlock

See you Saturday

Barry Cooper

Social source share

COD's is awful in my opinon.... Roy Hamilton - nice Latin sound... turns me right on at the moment. Can't place Barett at the moment.. I bet I've heard it.

Anyway, Roy pips the post! The DJ's do have them but don't pack them because they're not massive or sought after? Swings and roundabouts whistling.gif

Social source share

The punters want 70s, probably more than they want 60s...its what packs the floor.....

Chris.

I've never personally experienced this at any venues i've been to!?

Simon thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I love my 70s but sometimes I`d love to DJ at a northern do and play a 60s only spot as there are so many tunes that dont get a look in.....absolutely no chance! The punters want 70s, probably more than they want 60s...its what packs the floor.....

Chris.

Maybe at crossover venues!

I've seen people follow really good 60's DJ's, play 70's and kill it dead

Social source share

What a great tune C.O.D's" Im A Good Guy" is, funny thing though I played this out at Pilsley about 18 months ago, and guess what - completley cleared the the floor, still that was then so I will play on Saturday Bazza so you better get yourself out on the floor, and your right I was NOT a Matlock

See you Saturday

Barry Cooper

Thanks Barry ..look forward to it ..not to early though..need time to get my knees oiled ph34r.gif

see you saturday

Bazza

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

"people care more about being thought to have good taste than about being thought either good, clever or amiable"

Samuel Butler

Social source share

Guest musicden786

Aharr,

But all three above tracks be Narwhal shite.

Yarr.

Theres a picture of HM Submarine Narwhale in my file shipmate. Take a look. Regarded in its time as a very good fighting ship and entitled to fly the Jolly Roger..

We played 60s and early 70s onboard.

When the DJ didnt perform we passed him a note similar to the one enclosed.

Have a good day.

Denis.

poster3.jpg(post-2513-1155910666.jpg

Social source share

I like all eras of music including Disco, i just don't wanna hear them at a Northern Soul do, it's as simple as that.

I've seen John Foxx & Bauhaus live in the last couple of weeks & thoroughly enjoyed both gigs but i wouldn't want to hear them played at an NS do.

A place for everything & everything in it's place or sommat like that...

Simon whistling.gif

I saw John Foxx supporting the Human League about 18 months ago, he seemed to do every track he'd ever recorded including all of Ultravox's as well, I thought it was never going to end...Hiroshima Mon Amour my arse

Social source share

I saw John Foxx supporting the Human League about 18 months ago, he seemed to do every track he'd ever recorded including all of Ultravox's as well, I thought it was never going to end...Hiroshima Mon Amour my arse

You enjoyed it then Pete! whistling.gif

I wish he'd done them all when i saw him, was gutted he didn't play 'Burning car' or 'Europe after the rain'!

Simon :shhh:

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

the wild the beautiful and the damned my arse too

Social source share

Maybe at crossover venues!

I've seen people follow really good 60's DJ's, play 70's and kill it dead

Maybe years ago but not now...I`d say that 70s is what most of the dancers want these days...I`m talking about "Northern" venues too........

As I said I`d love to do a 60s only set but you have no chance...always get 70s requested too...

Chris

Social source share

The very fact that people are actually having this debate is amazing.

How on earth can a thirty-year-old record be "modern" ???

All "northern" and "modern" soul is old. Even soulful house, as a style, is a twenty-year-old thing.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

All "northern" and "modern" soul is old. Even soulful house, as a style, is a twenty-year-old thing.

Paul Mooney

what's in a name!?

modern art refers back hundred years and we still recognise it as that.

people say 'wicked' for something that is good rolleyes.gif

its part of the language we use - deal with it mate :lol:

Shane

Social source share

Paul Mooney

Modern is a silly term. But we are stuck with it. Anything not 60s........ rolleyes.gif

Social source share

what's in a name!?

modern art refers back hundred years and we still recognise it as that.

people say 'wicked' for something that is good rolleyes.gif

its part of the language we use - deal with it mate :lol:

Shane

You're missing my point. I understand the language, Shane, I was being sarcastic.

The meaningless categories have done nothing to help the soul scene in the UK - a small scene which today is even smaller and much more fragmented. Very few people bought these "modern" soul records when they were new. That's the biggest shame.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert