Show Us Your Great Photos - Pt2

Amsterdam Russ

Thank Ste. I had heard there was one in a garden opposite Orrel water park nr Wigan, called last week and no joy, when I got there today and it was sat in the tree in the front garden feeding on the apples the owner puts out. Two minutes later it had disappeared again. Just managed a few pictures

Ste

Not seen any this year Steve.

They usually go for the Mountain Ash across the road, a few years ago we had at least 30 of them perched on our roof

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not seen any this year Steve.

They usually go for the Mountain Ash across the road, a few years ago we had at least 30 of them perched on our roof

Nice one Martyn. Two years ago they where all over the country and I seemed to spend hours chasing them only to be told you should have been here yesterday everywhere I went.

Steve

Social source share

Nice one Martyn. Two years ago they where all over the country and I seemed to spend hours chasing them only to be told you should have been here yesterday everywhere I went.

Steve

They can be like that, but 3 times in the last 6 years they have come to me, usually only around for a few days, once the berries are gone off our neighbours tree they move on.

Best place to see them is supermarket carparks, as they tended to plant a lot of Sorbus (Mountain Ash) trees with the landscaping

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not a great photo by any means but...

You might not be able to see this very well but on the footpath in the middle of the picture is a Partridge who lives in our cul de sac, he thinks he is a pigeon and has been hanging around with other pigeons since last summer, anyway it looks like they've kicked him out of their pigeon gang now and he's gone solo - I see this guy every day and have nearly got him to come to get food...just thought it was a bit unusual!

post-1893-0-40070800-1424962082_thumb.jp

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Where do you see the Kingfishers mate, locally?

Up at Belvide Reservoir Pete, but that is members only access ... you will get them along the canals around here, there is a canal runs by Wombourne, worth a stroll along see what you can see.

The ones at Belvide come up from the local canal.

You need to keep your eyes peeled though Pete as they are bloody quick, and quite a small bird so can be a challenge to spot

Edited by martyn pitt
Social source share

You might not be able to see this very well but on the footpath in the middle of the picture is a Partridge who lives in our cul de sac, he thinks he is a pigeon and has been hanging around with other pigeons since last summer, anyway it looks like they've kicked him out of their pigeon gang now and he's gone solo - I see this guy every day and have nearly got him to come to get food...just thought it was a bit unusual!

attachicon.gifalan.jpg

Just a thought Pete but Partridge live in groups called coveys, he or she is obviously separated from his /her group and could have been using the pigeons as a refuge. Also there's safety in numbers

Steve

Social source share

Up at Belvide Reservoir Pete, but that is members only access ... you will get them along the canals around here, there is a canal runs by Wombourne, worth a stroll along see what you can see.

The ones at Belvide come up from the local canal.

You need to keep your eyes peeled though Pete as they are bloody quick, and quite a small bird so can be a challenge to spot

I've walked that canal a thousand times mate but never seen a Kingfisher - they prefer moving water, so I've actually seen them down the Wombrook several times, also at Lower penn (Trescott Ford) but not seen any for a while.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

attachicon.gifalan.jpg

Very unusual, Pete! Anyone hand rearing them locally?

Social source share

Seen my first flowering daffodils today actually mate. Just two of them in flower in a front garden near me.

Steve

Not long back from a shopping trip to the Hague - Marks and Spencer opened up a store there not so long ago! The M&S cafe and food hall makes the trip worthwhile.  :thumbup: 

post-9478-0-97290200-1425148587_thumb.jp

Anyway, back to the point. We saw quite a few daffs in full bloom on the way. Spring has sprung!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This has got to be one of the greatest photos ever - a weasal getting a lift from a green woodpecker!

attachicon.gifarticle-2977184-2645925100000578-295_636x426.jpg

Pete. It's a amazing photograph. A once in a lifetime. I've just seen it on the national itv news. They showed a few pictures.

And it all ended happy ever after for both green woodpecker and weasel

Steve

Social source share

What's the story behind this one? Amazing shot!

Was taken at Strumpshaw fen (just outside Norwich)

Was taken from EDP news paper.

The guy was getting a shot of a kingfisher but a pike smashing into a shoal of Rudd put in an appearance.

A total fluke photo but brilliant.

Being a keen pike angler afloat a lot on the broads i have seen both but never at the same time.

Edited by NCFC
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Was taken at Stumpshaw fen (just outside Norwich)

Was taken from EDP news paper.

The guy was getting a shot of a kingfisher but a pike smashing into a shoal of Rudd put in an appearance.

A total fluke photo but brilliant.

Being a keen pike angler afloat a lot on the broads i have seen both but never at the same time.

Thanks for the explanation. All that remains to be said is...

…brilliant timing!

Social source share

Post 334…  :thumbup: 

No matter who posted it first here, it's an incredible, once in a lifetime shot!

And the plucky little Woodpecker was not going to drop his worm!  :lol:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Morning!x I have been to Paris and various places in France several times in the past 10 days. Different reasons each time but managed to get some 'me' time Wednesday evening before returning on the Chunnel. I went to Dunkirk to see some old friends and pay respects to me Grandads friends who died there. I was so glad I did. This pic....speaks for itself! The Harbour entrance at Dunkirk....at sunset....70 years on.....!!!!!!x Possibly my fav pic i've ever taken!x

dunkirksunset.jpg

This second pic is 'topical'. Idris and his brother are good friends of mine. Idris is in charge of security at the Pakistani Embassy in Paris. His twin brother serves the Pakistani billionaires doing business in the UK as an accountant based in Coventry! Their two older brothers are in the Taliban....! I asked Idris what he or his colleagues thought of the Abid Naseer craic. His immediate response echoed by others in our company was that they considered him a 'grass' who spilt his guts to the Brits and was given to the US for further knowledge gathering!! The courts malarkey is just a charade to keep 'the people' re-assured. He is now 'safe' and in the Yanks care.....is the considered view! I don't add any comment on the matter just share what I found out...!x

idris.jpg

I know some of you follow my 'reports' via me FB and I will be putting some pics up covering me exploits in France and elsewhere later today!x Have a happy day all!x Off to Cyprus for the weekend and will take some pics if able.....it will be dark whilst I;m popping in and some of the company may be camera shy....!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share