Show Us Your Great Photos - Pt2

Amsterdam Russ

Enjoyed looking at your cuckoo photo's. They're brilliant!

Glad that you liked them, not something that you see too often. We could not locate it on Sunday, it could be off fending for itself now it can fly fairly well.

With any luck we may have some others, the adult would have laid 10 - 15 eggs in various nests around the reserve.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Glad that you liked them, not something that you see too often. We could not locate it on Sunday, it could be off fending for itself now it can fly fairly well.

With any luck we may have some others, the adult would have laid 10 - 15 eggs in various nests around the reserve.

Not seen a cuckoo but heard it loads around my area this year after an absence of a few years 

Social source share

Look at it this lovely hybrid of a Common Spotted Orchid and Northern Marsh Orchid, so pretty. Taken along Tees Railway Walk near Romaldkirk in Teesdale on 7 July 201555ad89e262358_20150705_1135032.thumb.jpg 

Well spotted Suze, a rarity, hybrids do occur, but not that often.  I hope it's well hidden.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This one was out in the open, just near the Northern Marsh Orchd I posted up earlier near a ditch 

That's a shame as it'll become well known on the grapevine and the Northern Marsh Orchids will probably get trodden on as the ones that want to photograph a rarely seen hybrid brush them aside as commonplace.  It happens in Spain a lot, they even try and dig them up.  Let's hope there's not many find it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

They are all beautiful mind, the butterflies and bees thought so too !

Suz x

They hold a big fascination for me, don't see many butterflies on them here, they prefer the scabious, though they aren't flowering now, the bees and sawfly enjoy them though. 

The only chance of seeing anything in flower round here that isn't a garden escapee or in a garden is on the high slopes of the Sierra Nevada where the alpines will be in flower.  A 6-7 hour round trip, and that's without climbing time, the summit takes about 3 hours to reach, and is quite an effort in this heat, we should see 36C by the sea today. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not too bad Steve thanks, hope yourself and Lou are ok.

Hope to get out a bit more in the next few months

We,re fine thank you sir. Just starting to get ready for playing out at Radcliffe nighter. You know me mate.

Be great to see you both out and about again, seems like ages

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cold, raining and windy ... could only be a typical British Summers day :(

Cuckoo was well concealed today, managed a House Martin after insects just above the surface of the water

472_004.thumb.jpg.c65edc157ce8a3a8e3c0de

Fantastic shot.Hardly see one round here these days.Sand martins don't like Caister on Sea anymore either.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

After more than a month of drought we had a little rain this morning. While walking to my garden I met this beauty.

It's very rare to see a salamander by day, only during a rain period. The cats didn't care a lot about her, she was too slow.for them.

002.JPG

014.JPG

Nice picture of the rather exotic salamander Phillippe. Unfortunately we have nothing that exotic in the UK apart from male great crested newts in the breeding season.

Steve

Social source share

Well my battery charger for my camera has just popped. Two flat batteries and no way to charge them. 

Me thinks it's the perfect excuse to finally go out and treat myself to the New Canon eos 7d mk2. It's down to about £1400 body only plus I will get a few hundred quid trade in. 

Steve 

Social source share

Nice picture of the rather exotic salamander Phillippe. Unfortunately we have nothing that exotic in the UK apart from male great crested newts in the breeding season.

Steve

Thanks Steve, your great crested newt is as much exotic to me. Where I'm living there are more trees than water and in my whole life (I'm 59) I only saw it one specimen swimming in a pond.

I was very happy to meet that salamander, that means there's still some wild life in the area.

Edited by Philippe
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Steve

Don't be too sure about that Steve, I saw a pair in Nottinghamshire two years ago, they hitched a lift with some plants that were imported from the continent, they were living in a poly-tunnel when I saw them.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

CeeJay I would agree 100% ... stunning part of Italy

Hi Martyn

Visited Italy for the first time last year (Sorrento).

From memory when I posted a pic of Mount Vesuvius last year, I think you put up one that was practically identical.

Just had to go back, this time to Ravello,....... jawdroppingly beautiful!!!!

Maybe to the Lakes area next time.  

Caz    :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Martyn

Visited Italy for the first time last year (Sorrento).

From memory when I posted a pic of Mount Vesuvius last year, I think you put up one that was practically identical.

Just had to go back, this time to Ravello,....... jawdroppingly beautiful!!!!

Maybe to the Lakes area next time.  

Caz    :thumbsup:

I remember now ... Taormina in Sicily is nice, a current favourite

• Helpful 1
Social source share