Show Us Your Great Photos - Pt2

Amsterdam Russ

Just driving through Middleton about two hundred yards from where the old civic centre nighters used to be held when I saw my first-ever ring necked parakeet . It flew across in front of my car and landed in a tree in somebody's front garden.. Well chuffed.

Steve

Loads of them round here. Their profile in flight always makes me think of one of these…  :lol: 

post-9478-0-94790000-1429094176_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Russell. There's a small population of them in greater Manchester, mostly to the south west round the sale area. But there had been reports of just a couple of bird's near me. So to actually see one of them was great.

Steve

If I remember correctly, about 20-odd years ago their populations were mainly concentrated in the warmer south of England. If they've survived the wetter Manchester climate then it shows how very adaptable they are as a species. Scotland next, or have they made it that far already?

Social source share

If I remember correctly, about 20-odd years ago their populations were mainly concentrated in the warmer south of England. If they've survived the wetter Manchester climate then it shows how very adaptable they are as a species. Scotland next, or have they made it that far already?

Russell. There's a large population in and around the London area and according to reports small populations in Manchester, Birmingham and as far north as Edinburgh. They can be controlled as a species with them been non residents if they are causing a problem to crops and or native wildlife

Steve

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Russell. There's a large population in and around the London area and according to reports small populations in Manchester, Birmingham and as far north as Edinburgh. They can be controlled as a species with them been non residents if they are causing a problem to crops and or native wildlife

Steve

Steve

So they made it to Scotland and are surviving the colder conditions. They're obviously very adaptable then.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Two real rarities near me yesterday. A pair of Red rumped swallows. They were at Heaton Park around the reservoir for a few hours then disappeared as quickly as they had arrived.

Two different reported sighting of swifts in the Manchester area. Can't believe how early these are.

Steve

We saw swifts today over the reservoir, pretty high up though ... either that or I was looking through my bins the wrong way  :D 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Got three 1000D's here , this one for everyday snapping and two 'permanently' attached to 'scopes , great lightweight bodies that can be picked up for a song ... had a chance of  5D MkII cheap from a mate but they're too bulky to hang off a focuser and you get so much vignetting with a 'scope and a full frame sensor that it's not worth the investment for astro , unless you also fork out £4k on a tube that supplies a much bigger lightcone.

That said I'd love to try his new PhaseOne IQ250 but he's somewhat reluctant to let me play with it in the dark ...  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Got three 1000D's here , this one for everyday snapping and two 'permanently' attached to 'scopes , great lightweight bodies that can be picked up for a song ... had a chance of  5D MkII cheap from a mate but they're too bulky to hang off a focuser and you get so much vignetting with a 'scope and a full frame sensor that it's not worth the investment for astro , unless you also fork out £4k on a tube that supplies a much bigger lightcone.

That said I'd love to try his new PhaseOne IQ250 but he's somewhat reluctant to let me play with it in the dark ...  :lol:

I'm currently using a 50D with either a 17-40 or a 70-200 plus a 2x converter when needed. Will be upgrading to the 7D mkll shortly when the price has gone down a few hundred pounds.

Steve

Social source share

Sorry folks......I will need an hour to catch up.....and will find that time as I do like pics!!X Thought i'd leave with these before I go trekking again!x Me fav scenic pic of rural Britain i've taken on me travels of late...X Killington Lake behind the services on the M74/M6 heading South past Carlilse....or just before....!....soz I just see it...!!x Best service station in the UK...done em all.........yet never been in it....init!!x

11095388_10152639876791307_9549023674469

...and this me fav pic of Industrious Britain taken last week........Glasgow at it's best....X

10293844_10152640699801307_1429729073720

If u squint ure eyes....it looks like a satellite arm........on a spaceship.......!!!!!x Luv it!!!x

Have a good week all!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Sooty. Killington lake service station is M6 southbound between junctions 37-36 about 50miles south of Carlisle. The lake is home to fabulous schoals of roach. There used to be plenty of fishing matches there. Unfortunately I never got chance to fish it. But it's on my bucket list.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanx Steve...X When I posted it last night.....I couldn't be ar*ed to think...!!x Passed it about 60 times this year so far....mad init!x I have seen BIG things jumping outta the lake....and yup....would love an hour or two meself to have a go!x Was on me way toTintagel in Cornwall last week when i took it....hence me approach to where am I?! All I knew is I had 300+ miles to go.....and was glad of the fresh air!!!x That can be contaminated on occasion besides the burger smells....once a Tornado came hairing between the hills...straight over me head 3-400ft high.......plume of jet fuel fumes settled all around me.....AWESOME!!!x This was the sight to greet me at a strectch of Cornwall's coastline....worth the drive....as always!x

10900117_10152642528016307_9387637767849

All my pics are with me ipad.....click and go!x Like DJing.....never done techno's and stuff.....but am happy with the quality for my purposes and hope some of you proper picture takers forgive the quality and me for being 'raw'!!x  Off to Yakshire via Skeggy.....then down to Bristol and Reading....and will choose me best pic to come back with!x Have a good week Steve and all...X

LUV
SOOTY
X

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Sooty. Killington lake service station is M6 southbound between junctions 37-36 about 50miles south of Carlisle. The lake is home to fabulous schoals of roach. There used to be plenty of fishing matches there. Unfortunately I never got chance to fish it. But it's on my bucket list.

Steve

Scene of the infamous Battle of Killington Lake, where Scottish football fans travelling down to Wembley were ambushed by the notorious Border City Firm.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

It worked…  :thumbsup: 

I suprise myself sometimes  :lol:  Russell you may be able to help, if I click on the picture on my post it won't enlarge but if I click on the link on your reply it does. How do I load my photos so it can be enlarges on screen ?

Thanks 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I suprise myself sometimes  :lol:  Russell you may be able to help, if I click on the picture on my post it won't enlarge but if I click on the link on your reply it does. How do I load my photos so it can be enlarges on screen ?

Thanks 

The image you've uploaded is full-size - it's huge. It's too big! I'm guessing that when you click on the pic it's taking an age to load on whatever your device/computer is.

The best thing to do is to resize the image and make it smaller. Somewhere between 500-1000 pixels should do it. Whatever device you're using, it should come with a basic photo editing programme. When you click on your own pics are there any options? 

When you do resize, make sure to give the file a new name. Otherwise your device might overwrite the original-sized image with the smaller one you've made. Hope that helps. If you need a bit more help just ask away - people here'll be able to guide you through the steps easily enough.  :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The image you've uploaded is full-size - it's huge. It's too big! I'm guessing that when you click on the pic it's taking an age to load on whatever your device/computer is.

The best thing to do is to resize the image and make it smaller. Somewhere between 500-1000 pixels should do it. Whatever device you're using, it should come with a basic photo editing programme. When you click on your own pics are there any options? 

When you do resize, make sure to give the file a new name. Otherwise your device might overwrite the original-sized image with the smaller one you've made. Hope that helps. If you need a bit more help just ask away - people here'll be able to guide you through the steps easily enough.  :thumbsup: 

Ok thanks I'll see if I can sort it  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dave it's probably waiting for you to wire up a couple more monitors so that it can open it all in one go  :D 

As Russell said it is best to resize images before posting them on the net or emailing them, as they can be huge when they come off a digital camera these days, I always re-size mine to 1000 pixels on the longest edge and aim for 200 - 300kb, that way they are more manageable

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Perfect! You could go bigger if you wanted and go for the 1000 px size. Sunsets and other landscapes always look even better when they're bigger  (as long as they fit on the screen).   :thumbup: 

Totally agree on the size thing mate, just wanted to make sure that I had adjusted it correctly. Thanks for your help, a few more sunsets etc to come   :thumbsup:  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave it's probably waiting for you to wire up a couple more monitors so that it can open it all in one go  :D 

As Russell said it is best to resize images before posting them on the net or emailing them, as they can be huge when they come off a digital camera these days, I always re-size mine to 1000 pixels on the longest edge and aim for 200 - 300kb, that way they are more manageable

Ha ha you could be right Martyn  :)

Social source share

Many years ago on a lovely summers day when she was a toddler my 26 year old daughter was eating cherries in the garden, she spat the stone into a plastic cup of soil & compost, when it had taken root I transferred it to a larger pot & placed it at the end of the garden & left it to its own devices.

As you can see it developed into this lovely tree

You can see where it outgrew the plantpot

Lovely story and pics - thanks for sharing.  :yes: 

Social source share

attachicon.gifWIN_20150422_135822.JPG

Many years ago on a lovely summers day when she was a toddler my 26 year old daughter was eating cherries in the garden, she spat the stone into a plastic cup of soil & compost, when it had taken root I transferred it to a larger pot & placed it at the end of the garden & left it to its own devices.

attachicon.gifWIN_20150422_135934.JPG

As you can see it developed into this lovely tree

attachicon.gifWIN_20150422_140022.JPG

You can see where it outgrew the plantpot

Nice one Ste. Hope your well mate

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share