Show Us Your Great Photos - Pt2

Amsterdam Russ

5 hours ago, martyn pitt said:

Dave it's auditioning for the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie ... :wicked: 

Either that or it's what most birds do when they are resting 

I heard on Qi that flamingos let half of their body sleep when stood on one leg, I wonder if other birds have the same capacity?  (This time spoken with an enquiring tone)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, martyn pitt said:

Yes we did thanks Steve ... here are a couple of my holiday snaps 

These were taken in the rocks below our patio, I managed to get to within 10 feet of the Sanderlings without spooking them

_150.jpg.fba89980f814e289907b26805cacf70

_161.jpg

Stunning Martyn, as always. Every time I have seen Sanderlings on the north Wales beaches, some stupid dog owner has had a stupid dog off the lead running round barking and scaring them . 

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

Forgot to add that I spent approx. two hours at the river waiting to see if any salmon where making the Autumn run in the hope of capturing them leaping up the falls. unfortunately didn't see any

Steve

Nice pictures again Steve. I was stuck in a council committee room all morning!

Talking of catching salmon how about this. I'm not sure whether there are ethical issues with it or not?

https://youtu.be/u7YAXBEPqyM

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Nice pictures again Steve. I was stuck in a council committee room all morning!

Talking of catching salmon how about this. I'm not sure whether there are ethical issues with it or not?

https://youtu.be/u7YAXBEPqyM

Good evening my friend. :hatsoff2:Thanks for kind comments again.

Don't believe that the Salmon are in the best of condition when they are at the spawning grounds and I personally wouldn't take them but we don't know the circumstances of the people involved

Steve

Social source share

57 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Here's two taken today of the Afon Llugwy at Betws y Coed in Snowdonia, Same picture with different shutter speeds, What looks like smoke is the spray rising from the volume of water passing through the gorge

Steve

IB2A0486.JPG

IB2A0491.JPG

Great photo's but for me it has to be the top one. Now I'm one for the more live shot rather than the silky cotton affect of water. I know there are some great silky photo's knocking about and indeed a few other forums I go on have some brilliant ones but sometimes they just don't look right. Not having a go at your's or anyone else's but I just like the more live affect. I have attempted to do the silky look without perfecting it so that may have something to do with it :-)

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Good evening my friend. :hatsoff2:Thanks for kind comments again.

Don't believe that the Salmon are in the best of condition when they are at the spawning grounds and I personally wouldn't take them but we don't know the circumstances of the people involved

Steve

Hiya mate.

Yep, the salmon are at the end of their lives - spawn and die. It's nature of course but poignant nonetheless. Their end of life plays a significant role not just in producing the next generation of salmon but also in terms of enriching the river with nutrients from their decaying bodies. They also single handedly sustain numerous bear populations. Their story is one of wildlife's miracles.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, soulandy said:

Great photo's but for me it has to be the top one. Now I'm one for the more live shot rather than the silky cotton affect of water. I know there are some great silky photo's knocking about and indeed a few other forums I go on have some brilliant ones but sometimes they just don't look right. Not having a go at your's or anyone else's but I just like the more live affect. I have attempted to do the silky look without perfecting it so that may have something to do with it :-)

Thanks for comment's Andy. I,m not decided which I prefer. but the silky smooth picture was actually hand held without any filters  attached with a shutter speed of 0"6 which I'm chuffed with because as you know you generally need a tripod for that sort of low speed

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, martyn pitt said:

Steve the human tripod ... ooh errr misses :D

Anyway ... a couple of Turnstones enjoying a break in Lanzarote 

_163.jpg.215024f6f26a3e003ac874c15c103f8

_176.jpg.8b1f3a52e04f3e9fad58a1aae5dd8fc

Martyn. Stunning photos again my friend.  Turnstones definitely look better in the Lanzarote Sun than they do in the Prestatyn haze. Will dig a picture out when I get chance.. not that they're this good.

Steve

Social source share

21 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

As promised my pictures of Turnstones tucked in against the wind at Prestatyn

Steve

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

Evening Steve

They're great mate. Particularly like the middle one as it speaks to you. Hope that makes sense - getting a bit arty farty in my old age. I blame to photographers! 

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Tis almost the season to be jolly...............this little fella just sat there and posed. I was waiting for him to put his wing behind his head and pout.

The 1nd one is in the local park, they carved a beautiful Hen Harrier into the trunk of a tree, 25 feet tall....looks fantastic.hen%20harrier_zpsmgqmcffs.jpg

I`ll get a better one soon, the sun got in the way here but if you zoom in you get a better idea but there`s a time-lapse video of the carving here:  Here.

20151127_120109[1].jpg

Edited by Guest
Social source share

On 11/27/2015, 8:45:43, martyn pitt said:

That Kingfisher shot was in the Daily Mail, it was taken by Alan McFadyen.

The Kingfisher is diving into a glass tank that is full of small fish, ... still a nice shot, it has been causing a fair few rows on facebook as to the rights and wrongs of the method used to get it.

Took hours and hours to get that shot.Check out some of his other photosThe pheasent peeping in this set is great..https://m.flickr.com/photos/46443141@N07/5168945018/in/set-72157626419781161/

Edited by NCFC
  • Helpful 2
Social source share