Show Us Your Great Photos - Pt2

Amsterdam Russ

Taken on a warm June evening, around the longest day. This the Salnés Valley in Galicia, NW Spain. The greenery is vineyards, vineyards that produce the grapes that make Albariño wine, and in the distance the Atlantic Ocean and mussel rafts. 

image.jpg

Macca. I'm out of likes for the day. Only get five apparently. So consider yourself liked

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Hoverfly versus Bruce Lee Bee  .... :D 

474_013.thumb.jpg.a5dcdda2dec5375cd3c5c1474_017.thumb.jpg.c5cbbe67b554d0f64fe7d6

Amazing photographs Martyn do you focus on wildlife and nature  when you are taking photographs or all things in generel,I  relly like these  on display here do you have more like them to post!We marvel at electronic inventions ,just look at that insect in flight and try to make one of them  anybody! 

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Mainly wildlife and nature stuff Manus, and most of my holiday snaps are in focus, I bought my first SLR camera when I was 16 so have had a lot of practice, fair to say I enjoy taking photo's of most things in general.

As you asked nicely here is a rather pristine Southern Hawker473_035.thumb.jpg.e7416f4e3e73c8537c618e

Thanks! these are great to watch in real life stunning photo captures it excellently, they always remind me of mimi helicopters and you can see groupd of them down by the river Nene in Peterborough skimming over water and on the river banks. some of them get quite big..

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Thanks! these are great to watch in real life stunning photo captures it excellently, they always remind me of mimi helicopters and you can see groupd of them down by the river Nene in Peterborough skimming over water and on the river banks. some of them get quite big..

The prehistoric ancestor of the Dragonfly had a wingspan of 3 feet, would loved to have seen one of those ... would have been easier to get a flight shot of it than it's descendent's :D

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

The prehistoric ancestor of the Dragonfly had a wingspan of 3 feet, would loved to have seen one of those ... would have been easier to get a flight shot of it than it's descendent's :D

Have you got any Red Kite photos Martyn, these birds are my big thing of late none over here yet but lots at my parents home town of Corby and surrounding areas,I have spent a lot of time there so far this year and always marvel at the sight of them especially when coming down low over the back garden,most Corby folk react with "Oh it is on;ly a kite no big deal", maybe this is because the birds have been there a long time and they are just so familiar they take ,no notice!I have a pair of Magpies live just outside my flat and I have seen Magpies around for years but still take time to notice what they are up too, besides scaring away a lot of the other types of birds.I am convinced also that I once saw a coypu in one of the south lincolshire waterways,as big as a small dog which I thought it was at first on a clear day too,I wish I had a camera on me that day as no one I have ever told believes that what I saw was a coypu a photograph would have settled things on the spot.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Taken back in 2009 whilst up in Galloway on holiday, these were at the Bellymack Hill Farm where they feed the birds, they are tagged as they are part of the release program to reintroduce the birds to the UK

Drummore-09_373.thumb.jpg.275bde7302777d

The blue sky sets the Kites colours off superbly. Great pictures Martyn as always. 

Steve

Social source share

Cheers Steve, always best with a blue sky for the flight shots

Hopefully picking my new camera up next week so I can get out and about again. Not been out birding for two weeks.

Back on that big learning curve again. Totally different set up controls and buttons wise so will take awhile to get used to it. But hey I love a challenge.

Steve

Social source share

How typical is this. I've no camera at the moment as I have previously mentioned. I have just found out that yesterday at Pennington Flash there where four black terns and today just ten yards from one of the hides is a Sabines Gull. I have never seen either species in my life. 

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Taken back in 2009 whilst up in Galloway on holiday, these were at the Bellymack Hill Farm where they feed the birds, they are tagged as they are part of the release program to reintroduce the birds to the UK

Drummore-09_373.thumb.jpg.275bde7302777d

I love seeing these magnificent birds this one looks great like Steve says Martyn the blue of the sky sets  a perfect background for the colour of the Kite,one of the most gracefull sights in our skies as they sour and climb with a total mastery of the thermals with what appears  almost efforless movements of the tail and wings.They have made the skies where they now reside  a richer place to see.As for the other nature photos thanks for this one.

Social source share

A couple of very poor quality pics of storks nesting in Amsterdam's Park Frankendael taken recently on a trip to the open air Sunday food market with the 2mb camera on my ancient (in technological terms) non-smart phone. Storks have been nesting here for years and are completely unfazed by all the human activity directly below.

The second pic gives you an idea of just how surrounded they are by people and all the associated noise, smells, etc. There were four birds on the nest at one point, so two young 'uns nearly full grown presuming both parents were in attendance at the time.

Storks1.thumb.jpg.c57f3decc9ecf2a98b66a5

Storks2.thumb.jpg.3282051e412933c01ef5f8

Russell. It always amazes me how tolerant animals and birds are of humans. Unfortunately to many times to their detriment.

Steve

Social source share

Russell. It always amazes me how tolerant animals and birds are of humans. Unfortunately to many times to their detriment.

Steve

Very true, although there are many instances where the relationship between creature and human is quite harmonious, of course. With the storks you almost get the feeling they're on top of the chimney stack just looking down their beaks at the noisy bipeddlars with a sense of winged superiority. 

Well I have just witnessed one of those sad times of the year in the natural world for me anyway. About a 40 strong flock of Swifts made up of several family groups . Wheeling and screaming overhead as they're heading South for the winter. 

Steve

Funny you should say that. I was on the back balcony earlier this evening and noted an absence of swifts. We've had a few of days of really mixed weather - windy, rainy, sunny, hot, not so warm, humid, etc, so I half wondered if that was a factor. At the same time, the other evening we had swarms (can we still use that word post-Cameron?) of seagulls all around the local area. I'm guessing they were feeding on flying ants or some such that had just taken to the skies. I also half wondered whether the weather conditions necessary to bring them out sent a signal of sorts to the swifts.

Will keep an eye to the sky tomorrow because I agree - knowing they might be leaving already is a very sad thought. Surely they've only just arrived?

Social source share

Very true, although there are many instances where the relationship between creature and human is quite harmonious, of course. With the storks you almost get the feeling they're on top of the chimney stack just looking down their beaks at the noisy bipeddlars with a sense of winged superiority. 

Funny you should say that. I was on the back balcony earlier this evening and noted an absence of swifts. We've had a few of days of really mixed weather - windy, rainy, sunny, hot, not so warm, humid, etc, so I half wondered if that was a factor. At the same time, the other evening we had swarms (can we still use that word post-Cameron?) of seagulls all around the local area. I'm guessing they were feeding on flying ants or some such that had just taken to the skies. I also half wondered whether the weather conditions necessary to bring them out sent a signal of sorts to the swifts.

Will keep an eye to the sky tomorrow because I agree - knowing they might be leaving already is a very sad thought. Surely they've only just arrived?

Russell. Nature always amazes me. We live hundreds of miles apart yet the ants know when it's time to swarm at the same time in both countries. The swifts Leave about the same time, there's always one or two later sightings. I think I reported on here something like the 27 August last year. 

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

Russell. Nature always amazes me. We live hundreds of miles apart yet the ants know when it's time to swarm at the same time in both countries. The swifts Leave about the same time, there's always one or two later sightings. I think I reported on here something like the 27 August last year. 

Steve

Agreed, but I'm clinging to summer through the belief that there's quite a distance between the first and last weeks of August, even for swifts. Are the factors that trigger their - and other summer birds' - migrations southwards known? A depletion of food supply would be an obvious factor at face value, but aren't there lots of flying bugs still to be had at this time of the year? Certainly we've got the usual mass appearance of spiders now, and that's surely because of an abundance of food suppiles.

Possibly the maturity of the swifts that have left the nest must be a big factor, although I'm not sure without checking one of the bird books on the shelf whether swifts have multiple broods in a season or not. Any other factors?

Anyone still seeing swifts locally?

Social source share

Agreed, but I'm clinging to summer through the belief that there's quite a distance between the first and last weeks of August, even for swifts. Are the factors that trigger their - and other summer birds' - migrations southwards known? A depletion of food supply would be an obvious factor at face value, but aren't there lots of flying bugs still to be had at this time of the year? Certainly we've got the usual mass appearance of spiders now, and that's surely because of an abundance of food suppiles.

Possibly the maturity of the swifts that have left the nest must be a big factor, although I'm not sure without checking one of the bird books on the shelf whether swifts have multiple broods in a season or not. Any other factors?

Anyone still seeing swifts locally?

Yes, but then I am considerably more south than you are.  I keep an eye on the ants, I secretly want a pet anteater, and they aren't flying here yet, so there's still swifts, martins and swallows in abundance.  However, from the beach yesterday I did notice a small family of swallows head out over the sea towards north Africa, it's only a short flight, the mountains are visible on clear days, so I can imagine there'll be a slow trickle daily now.  We do get a few swifts and martins stay all winter as it's never that cold here, and there's always mosquitoes not far away.  Just to make you all a little jealous it was 33C yesterday, we had 38C last week for a couple of days.:D

Social source share

Yes, but then I am considerably more south than you are.  I keep an eye on the ants, I secretly want a pet anteater, and they aren't flying here yet, so there's still swifts, martins and swallows in abundance.  However, from the beach yesterday I did notice a small family of swallows head out over the sea towards north Africa, it's only a short flight, the mountains are visible on clear days, so I can imagine there'll be a slow trickle daily now.  We do get a few swifts and martins stay all winter as it's never that cold here, and there's always mosquitoes not far away.  Just to make you all a little jealous it was 33C yesterday, we had 38C last week for a couple of days.:D

A flying ant eater sounds like fun, although you'd probably have to watch out when it came in to land!

Looking skywards this morning the only thing in number among the clouds are the planes coming out of Schiphol. The swifts do seem to have packed their bags - already. 

Have to say that 33-38C is too hot for me - unless sea/pool/bar/airco with endless iced drinks figure in the equation big time. We're 25-27C here this week and that'll do nicely although it would be even better if we could see a tad more blue sky. :thumbsup:

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

A flying ant eater sounds like fun, although you'd probably have to watch out when it came in to land!

Looking skywards this morning the only thing in number among the clouds are the planes coming out of Schiphol. The swifts do seem to have packed their bags - already. 

Have to say that 33-38C is too hot for me - unless sea/pool/bar/airco with endless iced drinks figure in the equation big time. We're 25-27C here this week and that'll do nicely although it would be even better if we could see a tad more blue sky. :thumbsup:

If there was a flying anteater I'd plump for it Russell, especially if it could be radio controlled. 

A bit cloudy here, but still too hot for some, I'm working, so indoors with air con and endless drinks.  Was supposed to have a 1.00 appointment, but he's running late, loses his deposit if he doesn't show.

Social source share

A bit on sunshine today and things are buzzing on the balcony...

Never tried to capture busy buzzy bumble bees on camera before. I reckon dragonflies are easier as they at least have a tendency to stand still once in a while, and conveniently for the photography, hover in flight! :lol:

_DSC3554-Crop-web.thumb.jpg.81e73d49bd92

_DSC3525-Crop-web.thumb.jpg.19ada1299232

_DSC3603-Crop-web.thumb.jpg.43e9bfe7ff05

_DSC3510-Crop-web.thumb.jpg.659c0bbb1647

Wonderful stuff for first attempts Russ, you can almost see the mites on the bees

Social source share

Wonderful stuff for first attempts Russ, you can almost see the mites on the bees

Thanks, Dave. The plan was to get some shots from above of a coot while it was diving underwater. A waterway runs along side our building and it was very clear today. I could see the coot thrashing about under the water with its legs going all over the place. Thought it could make for an interesting shot or two. Darn thing got camera shy though and so the bees - which absolutely love the lavender we've grown on the balcony this year - got my attention instead! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks, Dave. The plan was to get some shots from above of a coot while it was diving underwater. A waterway runs along side our building and it was very clear today. I could see the coot thrashing about under the water with its legs going all over the place. Thought it could make for an interesting shot or two. Darn thing got camera shy though and so the bees - which absolutely love the lavender we've grown on the balcony this year - got my attention instead! 

Every cloud blah, blah, blah. 

Social source share

Seen two Swifts this morning at 5.30am on my way to work. Non this evening. Will no doubt see odd one or two over there next few weeks. 

The, Swallows and House Martin's don't normally leave the UK till September/October so still got plenty of time to enjoy them.

Steve

I'm sitting on the back balcony now at a time when the swifts would be at their most active and vocal. There's not a one to be seen or heard. They're gone from here for sure.

Social source share

A couple of very poor quality pics of storks nesting in Amsterdam's Park Frankendael taken recently on a trip to the open air Sunday food market with the 2mb camera on my ancient (in technological terms) non-smart phone. Storks have been nesting here for years and are completely unfazed by all the human activity directly below.

The second pic gives you an idea of just how surrounded they are by people and all the associated noise, smells, etc. There were four birds on the nest at one point, so two young 'uns nearly full grown presuming both parents were in attendance at the time.

Storks1.thumb.jpg.c57f3decc9ecf2a98b66a5

Storks2.thumb.jpg.3282051e412933c01ef5f8

I do some work in Romania and have been a regular vistor there for nearly ten years. Romania is a strong hold for white storks and they commonly use chimneys to make their nests.

stork.thumb.jpg.ddcd4050a5bf0ff0579c0f70

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I do some work in Romania and have been a regular vistor there for nearly ten years. Romania is a strong hold for white storks and they commonly use chimneys to make their nests.

I saw a lot in Romania too Peter, walking about the fields at the end of the day after the labourers had been scything down the hay

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A bit on sunshine today and things are buzzing on the balcony...

Never tried to capture busy buzzy bumble bees on camera before. I reckon dragonflies are easier as they at least have a tendency to stand still once in a while, and conveniently for the photographer, hover in flight! :lol:

_DSC3554-Crop-web.thumb.jpg.81e73d49bd92

_DSC3525-Crop-web.thumb.jpg.19ada1299232

_DSC3603-Crop-web.thumb.jpg.43e9bfe7ff05

_DSC3510-Crop-web.thumb.jpg.659c0bbb1647

Superb photographs Russell

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've seen specially constructed platforms on top of chimney stacks here , specifically placed to encourage storks to build a nest. Apparently stork numbers started to decline very rapidly in the Netherlands during the 20th century because of changing agricultural methods, and it's said that by 1969 only 19 nests were still in use across the whole of the country. Conservation and breeding efforts have been quite successful since then although something like only 10-20% of the young make it to their first breeding season meaning that much more work needs to be done.

Social source share

I've seen specially constructed platforms on top of chimney stacks here , specifically placed to encourage storks to build a nest. Apparently stork numbers started to decline very rapidly in the Netherlands during the 20th century because of changing agricultural methods, and it's said that by 1969 only 19 nests were still in use across the whole of the country. Conservation and breeding efforts have been quite successful since then although something like only 10-20% of the young make it to their first breeding season meaning that much more work needs to be done.

Hi Russell

I think the white stork numbers have reduced significantly right across Europe. It's good that conservation work is taking place in order to try and protect them. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share