Here's One For U Lot ..requests

Bazza

Hi all,first appologies if this has been raised before

Now I can see when the DJ is trying to get the feel of the place,if a chap or chapess asks him/her for a tune ,it could throw a spanner in his/her works,

But me being a sad old git ,I am not happy unless my knees are killing me at the end of the night, and the three tunes below .make em ache

Jr Walker - Tune Up

Four Pro's - Just Another Girl

Dells - Run for cover

there are others of course

Do you think its bad form to ask the DJ for your fave tunes

some of em take no notice anyway,not saying who though

Bazza

Social source share

• Replies 54
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Idon't see a problem with requests - you've paid your buck to get in the place...

If it's worthy of being in their play box, it's worthy of being played as a request.

Just make sure you don't ask them near the end of their set, can be a right bugger trying to shoehorn a request in if it doesn't fit with the flow of the tracks already selected.

Social source share

AT an event I was DJing at in London in 1983, someone came up to me with a request for "The Closer You Get". Immediately, I thought of "The Closer She Gets" by John Drevares. He said it wasn't, and I couldn't help him. He went off a bit miffed.

Half an hour later, he returned, insisting that I had this track called "The Closer You Get". When he started humming it, I realised he meant "I Get The Sweetest Feeling" by Jackie Wilson!

I don't think it's bad form to ask for your favourite record - any DJ can say yes or no. Just choose your words carefuly, and know what you're asking for!

Social source share

AT an event I was DJing at in London in 1983, someone came up to me with a request for "The Closer You Get". Immediately, I thought of "The Closer She Gets" by John Drevares. He said it wasn't, and I couldn't help him. He went off a bit miffed.

Half an hour later, he returned, insisting that I had this track called "The Closer You Get". When he started humming it, I realised he meant "I Get The Sweetest Feeling" by Jackie Wilson!

I don't think it's bad form to ask for your favourite record - any DJ can say yes or no. Just choose your words carefuly, and know what you're asking for!

when i used to dj in stockport i used to get inundated with requests, lots of them because the punters knoew I had the tunes in my box, but others out of the blue too, everyone expects you to have every northern soul record in your 100, 200 box whatever, and yes some go away miffed that you dont happen to have the sound they want....Gene I have also had the hummers and singers, quite funny some of them when trying to make out what the f**k they are on about!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I think I have only ever asked for a request once. I asked Pat Brady to play the Twans at Stafford. He told me he stopped playing it last month. So i am 0 for 1.

Dave Thorley was djing at a local do in the early 80s. It might have been a scooter club do or a party, not sure at Coaley Village Hall (Do you remember that one Dave? I think Keith Scott scrathed your car with his bloody great van) Most of the local lads were of the Tained love - out on the floor types. Dave had played a nice spot with a few unknown gems. Before his next spot he asked me what type of track would get the floor going.

I suggested Ronnie McNair - Sitting in my class...Dave played...I was the only dancer...guess that makes me 0 for 2 then ;-)

THT was also the first night I heard Luther Vandross - I'll let you slide. My fave Luther track. Dave you played it to me on a tape in your car. Quality

Social source share

I think I have only ever asked for a request once. I asked Pat Brady to play the Twans at Stafford. He told me he stopped playing it last month. So i am 0 for 1.

Dave Thorley was djing at a local do in the early 80s. It might have been a scooter club do or a party, not sure at Coaley Village Hall (Do you remember that one Dave? I think Keith Scott scrathed your car with his bloody great van) Most of the local lads were of the Tained love - out on the floor types. Dave had played a nice spot with a few unknown gems. Before his next spot he asked me what type of track would get the floor going.

I suggested Ronnie McNair - Sitting in my class...Dave played...I was the only dancer...guess that makes me 0 for 2 then ;-)

THT was also the first night I heard Luther Vandross - I'll let you slide. My fave Luther track. Dave you played it to me on a tape in your car. Quality

Social source share

i was at a venue up in manchester a few months ago. i asked a certain dj for a tune(u no who u r) his responce YES I HAVE GOT IT BUT I DONT WANNA PLAY IT! big mistake matey. he followed me all night to appologse. for f____sake say youve not got it with you like most of em do. never tell me DONT WANNA PLAY IT,

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Idon't see a problem with requests - you've paid your buck to get in the place...

If it's worthy of being in their play box, it's worthy of being played as a request.

Just make sure you don't ask them near the end of their set, can be a right bugger trying to shoehorn a request in if it doesn't fit with the flow of the tracks already selected.

Tis a bit of a bummer tho peggy me old son...when in the midst of a rockin' R&B set...someone asks for a beat ballad....or worse still, a northern oldie :P

Social source share

My view on this,now I am out every weekend to local'ish venues ,anything within 40 - 50 miles is local to me , now when you go regular to places ,you do get a feel of what goes down well at that place,now if a DJ is on and he has not got hold of what the punters like in that particular Venue,I will ask him for a tune that I like and also goes down well at that venue,trying to give him a bit of a clue as to what stuff is liked there,because if many are unhappy ..that feeling can soon go round the whole of the club...Bad night

but at the same time I must admit I always feel uncomfortable asking for a tune

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

in my opinion , ask the guests for a request if you KNOW they own the tune , don't just ask guests for random tunes when it is more than likely they will have less tunes with them than the res does

Social source share

Now I can see when the DJ is trying to get the feel of the place,if a chap or chapess asks him/her for a tune ,it could throw a spanner in his/her works,

But me being a sad old git ,I am not happy unless my knees are killing me at the end of the night, and the three tunes below .make em ache

Jr Walker - Tune Up

Dells - Run for cover

Bazza

No I don't think its bad form - they can only say yes or no. I look at it this way - it's a compliment that you've taken notice of their previous sets / records. I often ask for certain records and usually the DJ's kindly play them if time/other requests allow :P

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Hiya Bazza,

I'm not sure if this is the 1st time for this thread but I think it's a good one because it is so relevant every week.

For what it's worth, I usually actively encourage requests when I have the chance to DJ at a venue. I agree with Joan's comment that, if it's in the box, it's there to be played.

Diplomacy is sometimes needed if asked for a record that is totally out-keeping with what is 'working' well in any given Soul venue. Whenever this happens to me, my response is to apologise for not having the requested record, but asking who the request is for and playing something that is hopefully suitable as an alternative for them. So far this hasn't caused anyone any offence and, in fact, on many occasions, the person has thanked me for playing a record for them - everyone's a winner!

The only time I've ever had negative reaction is when I'm asked for a record that has already been played. Some folk will get a bit shirty and say "So what! Just play it again for me / my mate / my wife" and not listen to the fact that it was only played 40 minutes or so ago. I don't think thats fair on the rest of the crowd, nor on the promoter.

I'm a firm believer in arriving as early as possible at a venue. This allows me to see which records are working well, but also (most importantly to me) make a mental note of what has been played to avoid doubling up. I'd be a liar if I said it had never happened but I avoid it at all costs.

Any promoter booking any DJ is doing so on behalf of his/her crowd with the expectation that you are able to entertain them for your hour or so behind the decks. Any doubts or uncertainty can be avoided by simply asking the promoter a few simple questions at the time...What is your music policy? How would you like me to play? What time might I be playing?.....etc As all of these factors can help decide on what best to put into the play box.

In a nutshell, it isn't my night out Bazza, it's yours as a paying customer and you should't be fazed by asking any DJ for a reqest. It's what they're there for.

Neil J

Edited by burysoul
Social source share

Hiya Bazza,

I'm not sure if this is the 1st time for this thread but I think it's a good one because it is so relevant every week.

For what it's worth, I usually actively encourage requests when I have the chance to DJ at a venue. I agree with Joan's comment that, if it's in the box, it's there to be played.

Diplomacy is sometimes needed if asked for a record that is totally out-keeping with what is 'working' well in any given Soul venue. Whenever this happens to me, my response is to apologise for not having the requested record, but asking who the request is for and playing something that is hopefully suitable as an alternative for them. So far this hasn't caused anyone any offence and, in fact, on many occasions, the person has thanked me for playing a record for them - everyone's a winner!

The only time I've ever had negative reaction is when I'm asked for a record that has already been played. Some folk will get a bit shirty and say "So what! Just play it again for me / my mate / my wife" and not listen to the fact that it was only played 40 minutes or so ago. I don't think thats fair on the rest of the crowd, nor on the promoter.

I'm a firm believer in arriving as early as possible at a venue. This allows me to see which records are working well, but also (most importantly to me) make a mental note of what has been played to avoid doubling up. I'd be a liar if I said it had never happened but I avoid it at all costs.

Any promoter booking any DJ is doing so on behalf of his/her crowd with the expectation that you are able to entertain them for your hour or so behind the decks. Any doubts or uncertainty can be avoided by simply asking the promoter a few simple questions at the time...What is your music policy? How would you like me to play? What time might I be playing?.....etc As all of these factors can help decide on what best to put into the play box.

In a nutshell, it isn't my night out Bazza, it's yours as a paying customer and you should't be fazed by asking any DJ for a reqest. It's what they're there for.

Neil J

spot on Neil...well put :P

Social source share

Whenever I ask for requests, which is pretty rare as I can never remember them I'm told they don't have them!

Jr Walker - Tune Up, first heard that played by my gorgeous mate Rimmer... next time I asked he said he'd sold it! Arse!!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Hiya Bazza,

Neil J

very well put indeed blush.gif

Social source share

Whenever I ask for requests, which is pretty rare as I can never remember them I'm told they don't have them!

Jr Walker - Tune Up, first heard that played by my gorgeous mate Rimmer... next time I asked he said he'd sold it! Arse!!

blush.gif That was over twelve months later though.

Pikey came up with the most important point from a DJ's point of view, don't ask for a request five minutes before the end of a spot because you will be disappointed. Ask at the beginning, if I've got the record you want I'll work it into the set.

I often find that people who have heard me DJ before ask for requests before I even get to the decks, and quite often it means a third of my spot is already spoken for by the time I get there

Linda also made a good point, if I've played twenty minutes of R & B and then gone back to the Soul side, don't bother coming to ask me to play one more R & B track, because it will sound out of place in the set. Ask for R & B things when I'm playing R & B things

So, if you ask for sensible requests, at a sensible time, if I've get 'em, I'll play 'em.

Social source share

Years ago in the 70s I dj'd at a pop night at a pub, in Chelsea, when one of the local hardmen came up to me and demanded that I played that fu*k*ing clown record, it took me a while to realise that he wanted Leo Sayer's The show must go on, needless to say, given the size of the bloke, I played it immediately.

Wearing my northern dj hat, I have to say that requests are fine, but it does get awkward when a person asks for three or four records that you haven't brought with you, somehow the excuse that "I've left them at home sounds a bit thin"

Another scenario is when someone asks for something that for reasons of snobbery/good taste you wouldn't play in a million years, often its something horribly played out, or a tune that you know would clear the floor in minutes....thats when the "I've got it but its at home line comes in handy......."

the other tone

Social source share

don't know if any of you who attended peterborough or st.ives around 1977/8 will remember a character from the huntingdon area called james hill. a very peculiar chap, heart of gold & very committed to the music. he was strange to say the least, with a completely anarchic dance style & a very, very plummy accent. he also collected records, but was taken advantage of in a ruthless way with people nicking his records behind his back etc; as he'd only just got into the scene, he was pretty clueless as regards to records & would phone me every week with a checklist of the then big sounds. anyway, to cut a long story short, two jokers decided to send him up to tony dellar with a request for wynder k frogg's green door while the record was actually being played. dellar's response was swift & merciless. you trying to f***** wind me up pal? look at the f**** record you twat! poor old james came back to the table almost in tears. why do these people insist on humilliating me, macca? I kind of felt sorry for him. people can certainly be cruel at times. the scene used to have its fair share of characters, didn't it?

Social source share

My view on this,now I am out every weekend to local'ish venues ,anything within 40 - 50 miles is local to me , now when you go regular to places ,you do get a feel of what goes down well at that place,now if a DJ is on and he has not got hold of what the punters like in that particular Venue,I will ask him for a tune that I like and also goes down well at that venue,trying to give him a bit of a clue as to what stuff is liked there,because if many are unhappy ..that feeling can soon go round the whole of the club...Bad night

but at the same time I must admit I always feel uncomfortable asking for a tune

Bazza

Hi Bazza

Are you having a go at me for not playing that Tempations track you keep asking me for(only joking of course) I will play Four Pros AGAIN if you request it on Saturday at Pilsley, as you know we like to keep the punters happy, look forward to seeing you there.

Barry Cooper

Edited by BBB
Social source share

thumbsup.gif That was over twelve months later though.

Oh yes, so it was! Mauridia_02.gif

Remember asking Mr 'gentleman' Rimmer for a request...did a deal with him...i would sit with his records if he would play my request....sure enough he played it only for dopey here to realise she couldnt go and dance to it :D

Ahhh, bless ya! Still, hope you had a wiggle in your chair whilst taking everyones money :D

Social source share

Hi Bazza

Are you having a go at me for not playing that Tempations track you keep asking me for(only joking of course) I will play Four Pros AGAIN if you request it on Saturday at Pilsley, as you know we like to keep the punters happy, look forward to seeing you there.

Barry Cooper

Ayup Barry,bout time you put your hand in your pocket for that tune "Temptations-I Want A love I can See" :unsure: ,then again,you could just nick it out of your Chris's box :ohmy: ,oh yes put that down as a request the Four Pro's I mean :ohmy: ..see you saturday

Bazza

Social source share

Jr Walker - Tune Up

Dells - Run for cover

Bazza

Hiya Barry

Good pick to make those bones ache matey!!

and you know I will dance to all of em !!!

And Dj requests ...hmmmmm

Well Nige B always "dedicates" summat I like to dance to which I feel is VERY diplomatic

Instead of asking the DJ to play "your choice " ask him to dedicate summat to you

specially if you're at a venue where the music policy is to your taste anayway!

Then guaranteed bones to ache

Mand :O) the happy soulie!

Social source share

Hiya Bazza,

Neil J

OOOO

you couldnt play my request when you wereat forest town last month!!!

You didnt have it!!! ( or so you said)

Mand ;O)

Social source share

Jr Walker - Tune Up

Dells - Run for cover

Bazza

==========

hi bazza

this is a pertinent question for me mate

i constantly get asked for requests for oldies during my spots,,ive 9/10 got them in my box and feel duty bound to play them but when uve finished ure spot u see uve played over half of things u didnt want to play esp at niters,,

ive sat back and tried to redress this as countless djs stick to their guns and play their own sets...

what worrys me if u play a total eclectic set u may clear the floor and despite ure tunes being good a promotor isnt going to put up with that too long,especially with so many dj's waiting in the wings for that elusive spot!

its about balance which im working on constantly and learning all the time!!

good point tho!

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

I agree that if you know someone's got it in their box & you ask early on in their set, it's fine.

Mind you, I've only asked twice for requests. Both occasions were fuelled by too much Cinzano & ended in disaster. In the 80s I asked Darge for Betty Turner, but being a softly-spoken maiden, ended up with Spyder Turner.

In the 90s, I asked Terry Jones to play Mandrill, but didn't know the title, so when he said 'Too late?' I said "Oh, have you already played it?" Hopefully, his hearing was as bad as Darge's. :ohmy:

In the 'noughties I've not made any requests. I've also stopped drinking Cinzano & switched to Taboo.

Social source share

==========

hi bazza

this is a pertinent question for me mate

i constantly get asked for requests for oldies during my spots,,ive 9/10 got them in my box and feel duty bound to play them but when uve finished ure spot u see uve played over half of things u didnt want to play esp at niters,,

ive sat back and tried to redress this as countless djs stick to their guns and play their own sets...

what worrys me if u play a total eclectic set u may clear the floor and despite ure tunes being good a promotor isnt going to put up with that too long,especially with so many dj's waiting in the wings for that elusive spot!

its about balance which im working on constantly and learning all the time!!

good point tho!

Hiya Mark

Don't you find a lot of punters asking for the same tune therefore you can "kill" several punters with the same tune

PMSL Bet you would like to at times tho eh??

Mand:O)

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

If you ask a DJ to play a song you like i see no problem that a DJ will be kind enough to play it and after all the DJ might be suprised thinking well i like his request and also that your request could see people fill a floor.

One thing i hate and i don't know why this is but maybe DJ's on here would explain is i have at times asked a DJ to play a tune i brought myself cause i think they may not have it and they never do play them.

Either look at what is brought and say will see later about playing it or just say i have it (even if they don't). Surely they could play the song as it would have been requested and is better then saying i want a request they don't have when i brought the record for them to play.

So DJ's explain why you wouldn't play a song request that someone brings

Social source share

that tee shirt was soooo cool Mandy lol

unfortunately they dont do it in fat balding git size so I can't have one :D

tee shirt was great, your new venue will be good too, but will tizzy do you a tee shirt :D one siz fits all

regarding request yes i agree if its in there ply it unless it had been done on an earlyer set

dendog

Social source share

tee shirt was great, your new venue will be good too, but will tizzy do you a tee shirt :D one siz fits all

regarding request yes i agree if its in there ply it unless it had been done on an earlyer set

dendog

Dennis

Im gonna wear it for the alldayer on bank holiday monday

:( Mand the flashing soulie!!!

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

If you ask a DJ to play a song you like i see no problem that a DJ will be kind enough to play it and after all the DJ might be suprised thinking well i like his request and also that your request could see people fill a floor.

One thing i hate and i don't know why this is but maybe DJ's on here would explain is i have at times asked a DJ to play a tune i brought myself cause i think they may not have it and they never do play them.

Either look at what is brought and say will see later about playing it or just say i have it (even if they don't). Surely they could play the song as it would have been requested and is better then saying i want a request they don't have when i brought the record for them to play.

any examples?

in other words what tunes were you suggesting?

Shane

Social source share

You've just got to love this guy :D

Why should some one play a record just because you've bought it along with you?

Ever thought that the record might be sh*t?

surely a DJ is hired for whats in his box? not because they are some kind of pointins reject DJ, IMO DJing is an expression you give out of your particular taste's, you mentioned in another thread about DJ's not using the mic and it might as well be a jukebox, i'd say giving a DJ a record to play or asking for a request is even more 'jukebox mentality' and it can be seen as putting them down as you dont like there taste in music.

Social source share

Guest rachel

You've just got to love this guy :(

Why should some one play a record just because you've bought it along with you?

Ever thought that the record might be sh*t?

surely a DJ is hired for whats in his box? not because they are some kind of pointins reject DJ, IMO DJing is an expression you give out of your particular taste's, you mentioned in another thread about DJ's not using the mic and it might as well be a jukebox, i'd say giving a DJ a record to play or asking for a request is even more 'jukebox mentality' and it can be seen as putting them down as you dont like there taste in music.

Exactly what I was going to say Baz :D

Personally, I rarely ask for requests, and only if I know the DJ has a particular record and it will fit in with what they're playing - in fact, I'd only really do it with someone that I knew... ask them beforehand if they could fit a certain tune in if they can.

Social source share

Yep as you to above, always ask some one if i know its a record they have and been known to fit it in there spot, for instance i could ask Rach to play Joe L (just off top of my head) i know she has it and has been known to play it.

DJed at wellingborough a while ago and some guy kept coming up asking me for really hard to find oldies......trying to be a clever cnut, told him in the end to f- off :angry: trying to be a clever cnut

Social source share

Guest rachel

Yep as you to above, always ask some one if i know its a record they have and been known to fit it in there spot, for instance i could ask Rach to play Joe L (just off top of my head) i know she has it and has been known to play it.

And I'd ask Baz for some modern, just to annoy him :D:(

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

There is another aspect to being asked to play requests.

On a couple of occasions I've been approached by people (normally friends) during a set...clutching a record they've just brought....will you play this for me? grrrrr

I make a point of knowing my records inside out, how they start...do they have a faded end....or abrupt..For the purpose of flow...what links to a different style etc.

I would find it totally imposible....and tell them so.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Just remembered.

I asked Brian Rae once in the small room on Morecombe pier, if he was going to play any Northern Soul. his reply shouldnt be printed on a public forum. but it was along the lines of -floor cloth you mucking ginger constable.

I think my RnB tolerance threshold had been met and surpassed that night.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

I would think that any DJ who wants to develop a strong bond with the people who pay his wages would be happy to play requests, so long as it fits with the style of the set.

It's been a while since I've DJ'd but I always tried to be friendly to folks who had taken the bother to ask for a song. Haven't always been treated with the same courtesy when the boot was on the other foot though.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

But if you have a Northern soul record and take it to ask a DJ to play surely might think i don't have it and wonder what it is like i can give it a try or if they know it play it as it's been requested if you know the DJ surely it helps.

I for one know if i was to DJ and someone said i got a record you might not have and would love to hear why not spin it and try it and can also use it as my request i would say fine

After all we pay to go and expect if requested a song which can be played it should be played, my dad has no problems with asking for Sugar dumpling all the time without fail a DJ has played it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert