J. C. Messina - A 1975 Release?

Gene-r

Here's the scan of my copy of "Time Won't Let Me" by J C Messina on Tom King.

This appears to have been signed by Tom King himself. On the left of the label, he has written "TO WKCN (i think) LISTENERS - Tom King". On the right of the label, in a different coloured pen, is an inscription which looks like initials, and the year 1975.

Is is still safe to assume this was a 1975 release? Or could 1975 be a filing reference for the radio station in question? Certainly the KENDUN matrix looks mid to late '70s, very much like STRAWBERRY or ORLAKE matrices.

The recording is in true stereo, and a million times clearer than the bootleg.

Would be interesting to see what comes of all this - OK, it's over to you!

jcmessina.jpg(post-953-1155237649.jpg

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

This appears to have been signed by Tom King himself. On the left of the label, he has written "TO WKCN (i think) LISTENERS - Tom King". On the right of the label, in a different coloured pen, is an inscription which looks like initials, and the year 1975.

Is is still safe to assume this was a 1975 release? Or could 1975 be a filing reference for the radio station in question? Certainly the KENDUN matrix looks mid to late '70s, very much like STRAWBERRY or ORLAKE matrices.

Interesting one this Gene, it does sound a bit later than 60's, sort of progressive rock if thats the correct phrase from the early to mid-seventies. the heavy-ish guitars in the background etc. Why does everyone assume 60's - you may be right. :shades:

Social source share

Looks differant to the one i had,and like i say some have "stereo",stamped in,in small letters,i think a filing reference..............but somebody must know definetly :shades:

Social source share

unless a legal re=release?,i`m sure i had a boot-leg in the seventys,they where quikc to boot it,i think ?

i had that boot too Ken, very poor sound quality if I remember right - bought it at wigan off the infamous stall upstairs for quid

Social source share

i had that boot too Ken, very poor sound quality if I remember right - bought it at wigan off the infamous stall upstairs for quid

Ye` loads of run out groove on em`,why would anybody wanna` boot something only a couple of years later,but it is very good if you like Seeds etc,and i do :shades:

Edited by ken
Social source share

I'm willing to bet a week's wages that it is NOT a 60s recording!

A £5 maybe,bet you know something? :shades: can you post a decent clip,so we can judge for our selfs :wub:

Social source share

Wasn't it covered up as Bob Seeger & the Silver Bullet Band by Richard Searling?

Sounds 7ts,but dont sound like i remembered it, :yes: have got outsiders,so me head must be mixin` em up......................... :yes: glad we never had a bet,truely awefull,wouldnt pay more than a fiver :shades: humble pie for me then!!! :wub: cheers for posting it up,i think,what say wiganer,one of your faves :yes:

Social source share

Ok - here's a clip for you to listen to. Apologies for the dip in pitch halfway through, but my belt drive is acting up at the moment.

Without trying to influence anyone's belief, listen to the true stereo, the synthesisers on the intro, and tell me it's a '60s recording! Enjoy.................

Fukc me,sounds like they had Mr Levine in the studio :shades:

Social source share

Once again you are coreect Pete.

As I remember it was dropped fairly quickly.

Dire (or any other 4 letter word) sums it up.

A Wigan low.

Disagree with all of you and agree with Mark, f*****n great dancer at the time, one for the boyz! Soulful it isnt but then again neither is a lot of the shite they play today... :D

and yes Pete is right it was the Bob Segar System although there is obviously teh Bob Segar Silver Bullet Band, not sure where Richard got 'System' from?

Social source share

Once again you are coreect Pete.

As I remember it was dropped fairly quickly.

Dire (or any other 4 letter word) sums it up.

A Wigan low.

As far as I remember - it was actually played for ages, after Richard dropped it someone else picked it up (Pat Brady?) but by then I'd jacked it in. But even at the time - I can't remember anyone ever saying they liked it :D

Social source share

You had to be there.. :D

I was and it was a great tune then, but it wasn't a floorfiller admit, but then again I always preferred that type of less hammered material :( . Mr Rhodes used to spin it too with a lot of lesser known stuff (the gimps used to be asleep by then :D )

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert