Forgotten Monsters From Wigan Etc Days

Guest Garry Huxley

Its a good record, but as with 1,000's more it just needs a spark from dancers and who knows.

Leonard Jewell Smith is not the Leonard on this track. They are a New York pairing. LJS is from LA.

Yep, Len Jewell was a west coast artist and more or less spent his whole career there, although coincidentally the Leonard from Duke & Leonard is also named Leonard Smith. The Duke is Jimmie McKenzie. 

Great looking label and an excellent 45 that would go places today. :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Yep, Len Jewell was a west coast artist and more or less spent his whole career there, although coincidentally the Leonard from Duke & Leonard is also named Leonard Smith.

The Duke is Jimmie McKenzie. 

Great looking label and an excellent 45 that would go places today. :thumbsup:

It goes to New Sweetsoul Newark every month in my play box & gets a spin now & then!

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Had the demo years ago, always one which I regretted selling...........as we do!  :facepalm:

Steve its the other Stomptown I want! "hate's growing stronger" By Big & the Evolution

Social source share

Teddy Vann Orchestra Theme From The Colouredman

Pierre Hunt I've Got To Have Your Love

Outsiders Backwards Upside Down

Checkmates Ltd Kissing Her and Crying For You

Lou Roberts Ten To One

King Errickson Zola

Billy Joe Royal I've Got You On My Mind

Ideals Stop Girl

It was King Errison Zola on Canyon :thumbsup:  good one !!!! 

Social source share

One of the biggest records of 1975

Great record, didn't realise went back that far Pete.

Bit too fast for the dance floor these days, but certainly is a quintessential Northern Soul track.

In fact, my mate has a Downey minter sat in his box 'doing nowt' that's gonna be on my radar next time I see him.

This record has everything IMO.

Social source share

This was on a TDK tape of Wigan tunes by my Cuz around 74/75 not sure if first played at Wigan but certainly played! & one you don't get to dance too every weekend.

https://youtu.be/wh9bwVUjmig

I think it was Gary Spencer who was playing it with his new sounds, in the late 80's at Queens Hall nighters at Bradford.

I never heard it at Wigan so did not realise it had been played there!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Great record, didn't realise went back that far Pete.

Bit too fast for the dance floor these days, but certainly is a quintessential Northern Soul track.

In fact, my mate has a Downey minter sat in his box 'doing nowt' that's gonna be on my radar next time I see him.

This record has everything IMO.

You're talking about Pat Powdrill mate, I'm talking about Reggie Garner!

Pat Powdrill first play mid 1977 by Pep and Richard I think.  Too fast for most.

Social source share

I think it was Gary Spencer who was playing it with his new sounds, in the late 80's at Queens Hall nighters at Bradford.I never heard it at Wigan so did not realise it had been played there!

I remember this track from around this time (late 80s). It always seemed to turn up on a lot of tapes.

Edited by El Corol
Social source share

Another one from Richard, not heard much now days ...................

and one he pulled out in that last couple of years of super rare 45's and C/U. Cheap as chips but a stunner................

The Edwin Starr record is great, was actually a fairly big record for a month or so in 76, remember it being on the first tape I ever recorded at Wigan.  Strange how they used to do that, play things for a month then drop for no reason (e.g. Marvin Gaye - Bitter Pill To SWallow)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Another record that was massive at Wigan, The Mecca and most other places at the time, but has never really seen a revival like many of the others, still love it though.......

Cmon David, put titles above them, I am always dying to see what you have posted and by time I get home there are another 33465 "monsters" since your posts and I forget.

And more relevant who remembers Tish in later years from Wigan, sheepskin coat, guardian of the bogs and various other places. He seemed a real monster to us kids! I suspect he was probably a toy town hard man in relative terms but for us young things he seemed the real thing. Not really into music, more the experience. Always freindly with Freddy from Lancaster who was into the music, when he wasn't being dodgy around the bogs!

Another thread maybe!

Social source share

Cmon David, put titles above them, I am always dying to see what you have posted and by time I get home there are another 33465 "monsters" since your posts and I forget.

And more relevant who remembers Tish in later years from Wigan, sheepskin coat, guardian of the bogs and various other places. He seemed a real monster to us kids! I suspect he was probably a toy town hard man in relative terms but for us young things he seemed the real thing. Not really into music, more the experience. Always freindly with Freddy from Lancaster who was into the music, when he wasn't being dodgy around the bogs!

Another thread maybe!

OK Jock this mornings little selection was, Dobie Gray - Honey you can take it back, Rosey Jones - Have love will travel, Rotations - Changed man, Mike Jemison - You'll never get me love, Attractions - Mams baby, Edwin Starr - Don't tell me I'm crazy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!