Postage Costs

P5OULH

Hi all just a general moan just won a record on ebay for $32 shipping cost at flat rate is $15.25 :wicked: what is a general charge for shipping from USA as i have won many records from the states and never been charged more than $6 for a 45. Can i take this up with ebay any info graceously accepted thanks Paul

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi all just a general moan just won a record on ebay for $32 shipping cost at flat rate is $15.25 :wicked: what is a general charge for shipping from USA as i have won many records from the states and never been charged more than $6 for a 45. Can i take this up with ebay any info graceously accepted thanks Paul

Did the auction state the postage cost? If not did you ask the seller what the postage cost would be before bidding?

Social source share

Think it may be the same seller who tried to fleece me for $15 postage for 1 single 45. I e-mailed him and told him I usually pay between $5/7, he then reduced it to $12....tight arse!

Craig Moerer can do it for $3.50!

Social source share

Now here's a subject close to my heart!.........just been thru about 10 mailers from the States and the postage stamped range from $4.00 to $5.60,this excludes the cost of the packaging which I would estimate at 30 cents.

On average I would be charged about $8 to $10,so they're still doing a bit of profiteering...contact the geezer and come to a compromise,If he won't then do as you said via ebay,good luck.

Edited by dancingcollector
Social source share

Now here's a subject close to my heart!.........just been thru about 10 mailers from the States and the postage stamped range from $4.00 to $5.60,this excudes the cost of the packaging which I would estimate at 30 cents.

On average I would be charged about $8 to $10,so they're still doing a bit of profiteering...contact the geezer and come to a compromise,If he won't then do as you said via ebay,good luck.

We can combine up to 5 45's in one auction for the same shipping price. $11.05 domestic USA, $15.25 Global Priority Mail Worldwide. Thank you!

this is their charges and they post from new york even their local postage rate is astronomical how can they justify this. Is there anyone from across the pond care to comment thanks fellas

Social source share

Ordered a kids swim suit from Mothercare yesterday, weighs nothing....yet they charge £5 postage as a flat rate on everything from their website. Lots of companies charge a flat rate shipping cost, don't really see why businesses on eBay should be any different.

When bidding on 45s I always factor the cost of postage into the price I'm willing to pay...if the most I will pay for a 45 is $50 and shipping is $10 then my max bid is $40. If you're unhappy with postage costs from a seller then don't buy their items.

Social source share

Ordered a kids swim suit from Mothercare yesterday, weighs nothing....yet they charge £5 postage as a flat rate on everything from their website. Lots of companies charge a flat rate shipping cost, don't really see why businesses on eBay should be any different.

When bidding on 45s I always factor the cost of postage into the price I'm willing to pay...if the most I will pay for a 45 is $50 and shipping is $10 then my max bid is $40. If you're unhappy with postage costs from a seller then don't buy their items.

Just spotted this as i was scrolling the item i won, surely this is a bit underhand you bid on the record then when you have won the damn thing they then calculate the postage when its too late nice :thumbsup:Open to international bidders, shipping for this collection will most likely be through Global Priority Mail with a ship weight of less than 4 lbs. Please wait for us to invoice you with the correct S & H amount before making payment. We will gladly ship these records internationally.

Social source share

Just spotted this as i was scrolling the item i won, surely this is a bit underhand you bid on the record then when you have won the damn thing they then calculate the postage when its too late nice :thumbsup:Open to international bidders, shipping for this collection will most likely be through Global Priority Mail with a ship weight of less than 4 lbs. Please wait for us to invoice you with the correct S & H amount before making payment. We will gladly ship these records internationally.

That doesn't really give you the chance to see what you will be paying before you bid, which makes it difficult. I think that this is becoming more common on ebay.com as they have this posh postage calculator tool.....still always worth asking first though.

Social source share

I've been selling 45s from here in the states for many years and have always charged $5.00 for airmail for one 45 to the UK/Europe, may raise it to $6 as rates have gone up but that is the absolute most I would ever charge. I use very high quality mailers and filler pads that cost about 75 cents, would never think of trying to add in any extra charges to make a profit, the profit should come from the record sales! On pricy items, I just include shipping with the price (I know, nothing's REALLY free....), but either way I never add a large shipping fee.

RE: Global Priority. That actually costs $9.00 to send any amount of 45s as long as the package does not weigh more than 4 pounds (and it never can as you can only fit about 15-17 45s in the envelope when they are properly protected in a good box.) If anybody charges you more than $10 or $11 for Global they are really overcharging in my view, a buck or two extra for the protective box/pads inside is OK but that's it.

As a buyer it always really bothered me to be charged outrageous shipping fees, so when I started selling I looked at it from the customers' perspective and tried to keep things reasonable.

Having said all this, it's just my take on it and some larger operations may feel the need to add more costs for time, gas money, employees wages, type of packaging etc.

Hope that helps shed some light on it, any other postal questions just ask!!

Best,

Haim K.

Social source share

yesterday i paid $6.50 to mail 1 45 to the UK and $28.00 to mail 16 45s there as well. lost money on both.

Kev check my above post re: Global Priority, you should be able to send 16 45s that way for $9.00 in the future, it's extremely fast too, always faster than regular airmail. Rule of thumb is, if you have anywhere between 5 and 15 45s to send overseas (or up to 16-17-18 if you pack 'em tight), Global is by far the way to go. A few countries cannot accept it (I think Italy is one), but it's fine for most destinations.

-Haim

Social source share

Ive been buying from the states for some time now,and, they always charge me 6 dollars for one record. as I usually buy in batches of about 50 records they charge me 40 dollars. but remember you may get charged import duty depending on what it states on the green import sticker.

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

Kev check my above post re: Global Priority, you should be able to send 16 45s that way for $9.00 in the future, it's extremely fast too, always faster than regular airmail. Rule of thumb is, if you have anywhere between 5 and 15 45s to send overseas (or up to 16-17-18 if you pack 'em tight), Global is by far the way to go. A few countries cannot accept it (I think Italy is one), but it's fine for most destinations.

-Haim

Haim -

Thanks for the tip!! How the heck are you? Made your move out east yet?

Kevin

Social source share

-Haim

Yep,

That's what I do too. The US postal system is actually quite good in relation to the UK one. Lots of choice, Another way to get round the travelling thing (my post office is about 19 miles away!) is to put one Priority Mail package in with the rest and they come pick it up!! Yippee!

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Yep,

That's what I do too. The US postal system is actually quite good in relation to the UK one. Lots of choice, Another way to get round the travelling thing (my post office is about 19 miles away!) is to put one Priority Mail package in with the rest and they come pick it up!! Yippee!

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

sorry - 10 miles!! Sheeesh!

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulcub.com

Social source share

Then he's losing money... or adding it to the price of the 45s.... :thumbsup:

Doesn't Craig ship the packages or records for Europe in one large lot, to Germany or something like that & then they are distributed individually from there ??? keeps the cost per packet down - sure I heard something like that ??

Girf

Social source share

Have had this a few times and been charged $10 or similar for shipping.

Usually when record arrives it is packed in a large box with loads of packing and has actually cost the seller $9.55 or similar so seller wasn't making any extra profit just packing over the top to ensure package arrives safely.

Would prefer that and receive item in one piece, that some of the sellers who charge $4 and send in a jiffy bag or envelope with no stiffeners :thumbsup: ...had one this week - record broke in half even though I asked on email 'please pack well and sturdy in rigid cardboard mailer/box' !!!!

If you've had a bargain off ebay and it arrives in one piece with less postage costs than you paid for, complain to seller afterwards - least you've got the 45 at a decent price at that point.

Social source share

Have had this a few times and been charged $10 or similar for shipping.

Usually when record arrives it is packed in a large box with loads of packing and has actually cost the seller $9.55 or similar so seller wasn't making any extra profit just packing over the top to ensure package arrives safely.

Would prefer that and receive item in one piece, that some of the sellers who charge $4 and send in a jiffy bag or envelope with no stiffeners :ohmy: ...had one this week - record broke in half even though I asked on email 'please pack well and sturdy in rigid cardboard mailer/box' !!!!

If you've had a bargain off ebay and it arrives in one piece with less postage costs than you paid for, complain to seller afterwards - least you've got the 45 at a decent price at that point.

I've just been charged $21 postage for an lp that I won off Ebay for $9.99. :shades: I just know the guy was pissed off at having to let the lp go for that amount so he thought he'd try and recoup a bit on the post.

Jordi

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert