Rock Pop Cover Versions

Just going through a box of New Wave stuff to put on Ebay and I came across this, A cover version of Don Thomas-Come on train. Why, did they record it where did they hear it. The Group is called The In-Citers out of Santa Cruz, Cal,. On the record, under the title it gives the writer credits as 'Unknown'!!!!!!!

I know I am going to regret this but let's have some more examples of odd ball cover versions.

Social source share

• Replies 64
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just going through a box of New Wave stuff to put on Ebay and I came across this, A cover version of Don Thomas-Come on train. Why, did they record it where did they hear it. The Group is called The In-Citers out of Santa Cruz, Cal,. On the record, under the title it gives the writer credits as 'Unknown'!!!!!!!

I know I am going to regret this but let's have some more examples of odd ball cover versions.

Supergrass did a cover of Bettye Lavettes What condition my condition is in.Also got a 45 by Rhinoceros doing Little richard I don't wanna discuss it it is really weird.

Tubbs

Edited by tubbs
Social source share

J. C. Messina's 1975 cover of "Time Won't Let Me" by The Outsiders. Undoubtedly a rock/pop cover, but done with style!

Take it J C is the same man who sang with Kenny Loggins as Loggins and Messina, long before Kenny Loggins had that god-awful "Footloose" in the charts?

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Not so much strange but Kylie did a version of Love Train sung live, often wondered if she is a secret soul fan.

Social source share

J. C. Messina's 1975 cover of "Time Won't Let Me" by The Outsiders. Undoubtedly a rock/pop cover, but done with style!

Take it J C is the same man who sang with Kenny Loggins as Loggins and Messina, long before Kenny Loggins had that god-awful "Footloose" in the charts?

1975, you're joking right Gene?

Social source share

1975, you're joking right Gene?

Straight up Pete mate - my copy has been signed and dated by Tom King (owner of the label and producer, and ex-member of the Outsiders)! It was signed for a radio station and carries a message from Tom for all listeners, along with his signature and the date "1975" in blg bold letters.

It came my way via Steve Bounden who, I think, now lives in France. I'll try to post a scan up later when I get home.

Social source share

J C Masina`s a cover,dont think so,written by him.............1975?,allot earlier than that,i think,it wasnt you who found my copy,i`d been after for years,on the 100club counter,been after it for years,rokc pop cover of his own record.................. :wicked: and i still want one.

75 my arse.

Social source share

J C Masina`s a cover,dont think so,written by him.............1975?,allot earlier than that,i think,it wasnt you who found my copy,i`d been after for years,on the 100club counter,been after it for years,rokc pop cover of his own record.................. :wicked: and i still want one.

75 my arse.

Well, when you see the scan Ken, I'm afraid it may well have to be your arse! :lol:

What may also give it away is the matrix stamp; it appears to have a worded stamp (which escapes me) similar to the STRAWBERRY or ORLAKE stamps used here - exactly the same typeface. It's also a Stereo recording - a million times better than the crap quality pressing of it.

Will post the scan up later tonight.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Supergrass did a cover of Bettye Lavettes What condition my condition is in.

Tubbs

Ahh - but was it the Betty Lavette version or the Kenny Rogers and New Edition version?

Probably heresy to say on here but I think the Kenny Rogers version is miles better than any of the covers :wicked:

Godz

Social source share

Also several good covers by 70's/80's god's The Jam.

But here another odd ball, great song murdered by some French/Canadian

Claude Francois-Soudain Il Ne Reste Qu'une chanson-Nobel

Here`s a odd ball bakc Dave laugh.pngwicked.gif

Social source share

Well, when you see the scan Ken, I'm afraid it may well have to be your arse! :thumbsup:

What may also give it away is the matrix stamp; it appears to have a worded stamp (which escapes me) similar to the STRAWBERRY or ORLAKE stamps used here - exactly the same typeface. It's also a Stereo recording - a million times better than the crap quality pressing of it.

Still think its a 6ts maybe 1970 recording,why would Loggins & Massina split up for 1 recording,sure Loggins would have something to say,1975 is probberly when it got signed?,L+M formed 1971 split 1980,but Massina was in a R+B type band in the 6ts,the name escapes me,i`ll bet you your copy,against £10 of my pounds,and i paid a fiver for my last one,about a year bakc,and stamped like you said,easy money for you,or is it?, :D

Social source share

Still think its a 6ts maybe 1970 recording,why would Loggins & Massina split up for 1 recording,sure Loggins would have something to say,1975 is probberly when it got signed?,L+M formed 1971 split 1980,but Massina was in a R+B type band in the 6ts,the name escapes me,i`ll bet you your copy,against £10 of my pounds,and i paid a fiver for my last one,about a year bakc,and stamped like you said,easy money for you,or is it?, :thumbsup:

Ken I have to agree with you, this is why I questioned it in the first place, I have had emails from Jim Messina in the past and I swear he said this was his first record, also if The Outsiders were big in 1966/67, then member Tom King could have started his own label around that time, not 8 years later when nobody would know who he was...

Social source share

Ken I have to agree with you, this is why I questioned it in the first place, I have had emails from Jim Messina in the past and I swear he said this was his first record, also if The Outsiders were big in 1966/67, then member Tom King could have started his own label around that time, not 8 years later when nobody would know who he was...

Gene,where are you,when we need somebody to dispute the facts. :D cant get us one,can you Pete,not paying more than £20 tho` :thumbsup: cheers Pete.

Social source share

New Riders Of The Purple Sage covered 'I Don't Need No Doctor' by Ray Charles (theres also a version by W.A.S.P (shit heavy metal band) if my records are correct).

Blood Sweat and Tears covered 'You Made Me So Very Happy' by Brenda Holloway.

Santana covered 'Nowhere To Run' by Martha & The Vandellas

James Taylor covered 'How Sweet It Is' by Marvin Gaye

Social source share

I believe that the Inciters are a sort of "Northern Soul" tribute type band who play US scooter rallies etc, and are aware of the scene and are fans of the music. I don't know why they wouldn't put writers credits on the track though.

Paul

Social source share

Still think its a 6ts maybe 1970 recording,why would Loggins & Massina split up for 1 recording,sure Loggins would have something to say,1975 is probberly when it got signed?,L+M formed 1971 split 1980,but Massina was in a R+B type band in the 6ts,the name escapes me,i`ll bet you your copy,against £10 of my pounds,and i paid a fiver for my last one,about a year bakc,and stamped like you said,easy money for you,or is it?, :thumbsup:

The name of the other band in the 6ts,68-70,Poco............and with Buffalo Springfield before that,so deffo recording in the 6ts,i`ll buy your spoilt one Gene :D

Social source share

Guest Darks

Ahh - but was it the Betty Lavette version or the Kenny Rogers and New Edition version?

Probably heresy to say on here but I think the Kenny Rogers version is miles better than any of the covers :thumbsup:

Godz

I think you might be right on that one. There is a connection. Betty was married to Kenny Rogers brother.

The Kenny version has been a very popular amongst student types since it's inclusion in the Big Leibowski. Fantastic film.

I heard a great version of "seven days too long" by Marmalade, them of "Obladi Oblada" (sorry about spelling) fame, a couple of years back. Not sure if it was ever released other than on a retrospective CD. Not playable on Northern scene but great uptempo 60s pop.

Lead singer Junior Campbell went on to make a couple of good singles, one of which you could probably get away with, "Sweet illusion".

Regards Alan

Social source share

I believe that the Inciters are a sort of "Northern Soul" tribute type band who play US scooter rallies etc, and are aware of the scene and are fans of the music. I don't know why they wouldn't put writers credits on the track though.

Paul

i think you're right on that .... played the iow scooter rally a few years ago.

Social source share

Elvis(the pelvis)Presley,with "only the strong survive",same album "any day now",i told Billy Paul,at a concert,once............and he was suprised, :D

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest malayka

I heard a great version of "seven days too long" by Marmalade, them of "Obladi Oblada" (sorry about spelling) fame, a couple of years back.

Regards Alan

Social source share

here's a 90's Brit Pop version of the snake for ya

anyone a soundfile of

Elvis Costello - Gettin mighty crowded

ta

I can do one,but not aloud to post em` up :thumbsup: well not full mp3s anyway.clips are ok i think?

Social source share

Well, when you see the scan Ken, I'm afraid it may well have to be your arse! :thumbsup:

Not much left of tonight Gene,i hate waiting :D

Social source share

oops, thought that was just a temporary thing :thumbsup:

would you mind PMing the elvis?

cheers,

Would if i knew where it was, :D got the CD too!!,you might get lukcy,just gonna` move some album, :D posted it up before in look in you box,you might find it in one of my old threads?.

Social source share

Guest malayka

Would if i knew where it was, :D got the CD too!!,you might get lukcy,just gonna` move some album, :D posted it up before in look in you box,you might find it in one of my old threads?.

Do you ever go to sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But who is this from :thumbsup:

Social source share

Do you ever go to sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But who is this from :ohmy:

Not much,well at night time anyway :lol: dont know,who is this from? :thumbsup: got a idea,but not saying,dont like being wrong :P

Social source share

Guest malayka

Not much,well at night time anyway :ohmy: dont know,who is this from? :thumbsup: got a idea,but not saying,dont like being wrong :lol:

Love you lots

Dave

Social source share

Guest gibber

Kylie did a version of Give me lust a little more time.

I think kylie was a secret all-nighter goer :thumbsup:

I remember years ago at work, she was on the radio promoting the album with the " Time will pass you by" track on. The Dj decided to play it , when it finished Kylie told the dj to hang on a minute while she puts her talc back. True . Then she went on to talk about why she covered it. :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest malayka

During the early Punk period several bands covered soul standards, I mentioned the Jam before, but another that now comes to mind, The Stranglers killer version of 'Walk on by'

Edited by malayka
Social source share

During the early Punk period several bands covered soul standards, I mentioned the Jam before, but another that now comes to mind, The Stranglers killer version of 'Walk on by'

96 tears,sham 69,or Devo,cant remember,possibly both.

Social source share

Jim Messina was in Buffalo Springfield during the mid-60s.

Haven't forgotten! Will post the scan up tonight, and sorry for the delay. It has a "KENDUN" matrix in bold capital letters - does this mean anything to anyone?

Social source share

Jim Messina was in Buffalo Springfield during the mid-60s.

Haven't forgotten! Will post the scan up tonight, and sorry for the delay. It has a "KENDUN" matrix in bold capital letters - does this mean anything to anyone?

Kendun,was gonna tell you that,i forgot :thumbsup: some have "Stereo" stamped instead :thumbsup: knew about Buffalo S,and was in Poco 68-70.funny stamp,cause they`re usualy smaller,its massive. :thumbsup:

Edited by ken
Social source share

No, just them - I mean, they had the well known punk/new wave version at the time if you know what I mean. I never heard Devo do it...though they did do Workin In The Coalmine..

100% certain,and have had it on 45,without centre :angry: think it a later thing tho`,after the punk thing had all but finnished :thumbsup: i`ll have a look later,even post a sample and scan,Pete

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert