Soulsource Record Club Your Choice For Autum 2014

dthedrug

Guest Dave Turner

No hang ups nowadays whether it's 100mph Northern, Crossover, Modern, Deep Soul, Ballad, Rare, Common or whatever

If I like it and it floats my boat then nuff said

Different mix to his outing as Traffic Jam, although Traffic Jam is probably a bit more dance floor friendly this is my prefered take

Chet Davenport - Can't Get Over You

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Few posts back i put up one of my all time faves Towanda Barnes--You Dont Mean It. This is the non too shabby flip of that self same record.Never heard it played out anywhere but recon it could deliver at certain nighter venues.

Patto

New to me,certainly makes it a double-sider & surprised some enterprising dj hasn't flipped it over & given it a spin.........or have they?

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Few posts back i put up one of my all time faves Towanda Barnes--You Dont Mean It. This is the non too shabby flip of that self same record.Never heard it played out anywhere but recon it could deliver at certain nighter venues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAvdm_GixPw

Being a Johnny Brantley production it more or less goes without saying that he put it around his other artists at the time. Great version by George Scott on his excellent "Find Someone To Love" album. Also there's the Instrumental by Ohio Players on Capitol. I'd expect there were probably other artist takes in the can.

Social source share

Had this a while now, believe me, it sounds awesome at a venue. Good choice Patto

Patto/Neil

Must admit always play the "Having Fun" side out,always liked "I've Gotta...." but think it's a bit fast for some(me I mean) :ohmy:

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAvdm_GixPw

There's elements of Ohio Players - "Trespassing" in this track.I suppose someone will know if its the OP's backing on this track.??

Talking of which,bit of Nothern.

Ohio Players - "Stop lying to yourself"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave

You British boys what you like........you know that the British releases of US releases are second issues :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

:hatsoff2: Hi All   it's stumps here? Martyn I'm Irish Basck Romany, with cockney roots, but I understand your point of view as it comes from the "HERE & NOW" OF SOUL MUSIC COLLECTING, mine is from what now seems a million years ago collecting scene, a scene where searching for records was hard work & secretive, knowlage & respect was gained & only passed on deep withi the collectors scene, as you & most people now understand the SOUL SCENE was based on finding records that were unknown to others & over a period of time these records become the ones that we hunted down,

in comparison with US records the UK issues are far more rarer & the DEMOS rarer still,

back at the start of the scene the average price for a record was about 7/6d for a UK 45 & 15/-s for a US 45, my take home pay in 1967 was £3.15s 6d a week, buying records depended on your local record shop stock and what they had varied around the country, but there were no outlets for soul & old records with the exception of 6 shops in England this included SOUL CITY  MOORES SELECTA & REDIFUSION, it was not until the 1970s that the 1st stash of US 45s come to the UK & by then most of the classic up-tempo 45s had been discovered,

I n 1971 the t first soul collectors went to the US searching, and that's when the RARE SOUL SCENE  changed into the NORTHERN SOUL SCENE,

Collecting all the top UK sounds is a passion of love hate as it hooks you in, but the it is achievable, US RARE SOUL is never ending expensive & you are always chasseing records, as soon as you get the one you are after, some dealer is flashing the next must have, & you are hooked.

Also with EBAY & RECORD COLLECTOR MANSHIPS GUIDES the scene is more in your home than out in the wide world, as we won't be going back to the early days I accept the changes, but I still get more from finding & having UK 45s and US 45s, which I have a decent collection off, :lol: DAVE  post-13241-0-95588900-1418467652_thumb.jpost-13241-0-35004200-1418467787_thumb.jpost-13241-0-79307400-1418467851_thumb.j

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I like Tommy Tate.  :yes: Looks wise he always reminds me of Thomas Hearns the boxer.

Anyway, I know I've posted this before - maybe more than once, but it's one of  my favourite dance/soul records form back in the day.

Tommy Tate - You Taught Me How To Love on Sundance Records

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share