Old School Deals

Hi there

I collect soul since about 12 years and sadly missed the old times without internet.

Now when i have the chance to make a deal over the phone (directly speaking over the phone and get the tunes played to me via turntable) or deal vis a vis or buy a record in a recordshop or at an allnighter or get handwritten lists including cd's. These are the deals i totally appreciate and love and which stay in my mind. I know from who i bought them, sometimes their story, how much i paid and felt some passion.

Ebay is so anonym and without passion. also its too easy if you have money (which i don't :) )

i know at mo you can get the best profit on ebay with selling but is this the way to go??! i'm not sure. in the first lane we all love the music, don't we?

Now to the point:

- Are there any people prefering these old school deals?

- would there be a chance to build a group doing these deals?

- any people that still do send out handwritten lists and cd's?

I would love to do more deals in the old school way in the future....

any opinions?

Cheerious

Henning

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi there

I collect soul since about 12 years and sadly missed the old times without internet.

Now when i have the chance to make a deal over the phone (directly speaking over the phone and get the tunes played to me via turntable) or deal vis a vis or buy a record in a recordshop or at an allnighter or get handwritten lists including cd's. These are the deals i totally appreciate and love and which stay in my mind. I know from who i bought them, sometimes their story, how much i paid and felt some passion.

Ebay is so anonym and without passion. also its too easy if you have money (which i don't :) )

i know at mo you can get the best profit on ebay with selling but is this the way to go??! i'm not sure. in the first lane we all love the music, don't we?

Now to the point:

- Are there any people prefering these old school deals?

- would there be a chance to build a group doing these deals?

- any people that still do send out handwritten lists and cd's?

I would love to do more deals in the old school way in the future....

any opinions?

Cheerious

Henning

Erm not so sure?

We all hanker for "the good old days" to to some degree.

But you wouldn't say, jump the train or hitch hike 100 miles to an allnighter these days if you had a car on the drive! :)

ATB

Chatty

Social source share

Erm not so sure?

We all hanker for "the good old days" to to some degree.

But you wouldn't say, jump the train or hitch hike 100 miles to an allnighter these days if you had a car on the drive! :)

ATB

Chatty

I can't even be bothered to drive there anymore :) Edited by John A
Social source share

I dont miss too much about the pre internet days.

things were heavily weighted in favour of dealers back then, and it was very hard to determine the true rarity of a record.

Hard to hear new stuff too. You coukd go hear other djs, but it was hard for them to hear new stuff.

i'd say that most of the juicy records and new dicoveries back then were passed between a small circle of big buyers and dealers...although that wasnt necesarily a bad thing.

the biggest pre internet problem was too many common records being sold for daft prices, the legacy of which is still evident in the price guides, which still list lots and lots of common records in the 30-50 range. For all the 00s, ebay just killed those sorts of records.

It meant that anyone could hunt records direct from source - america - cutting out the middleman and his mark-up, so it spread the power of selecting records amongst a wider range of people, creatibg more variety.

on the other hand, it gave everyone the access to the tools to be a dj, however half-hearted or unimaginative they might be.

i imagine that in the pre-internet days, the pure graft of trying to get a decent record, or the necesity for good, established contacts, sorted the serious out from the chancers to sone extent.

all in all, i dont miss the old days, much more transparancy once ebay showed up. Without it, i for one woukdn't have been able to find new material at such a rate and in such privacy.

I

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert