Record In "excellent" Condition On Ebay

paultp

https://cgi.ebay.com/Two-Plus-Two-I-M-SURE-...1QQcmdZViewItem

How can this be described as excellent? I appreciate it may be rare but it looks VG- to me. This is a subject close to my heart at the moment as I've just receievd two fairly low value records that were described as VG which were totally unplayable, and I paid registerd post :thumbsup: I got a third of the value refund.

Social source share

• Replies 68
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I remember a year or two ago I posted up a link to this record (different copy obviously) on Ebay. I thought I'd found a tune at starting bid of $7.99 that I might be able to win for about £20 or so, how wrong I was! :P It ended up at $6000, about £3000 I think, memory is not what it was.

As for the tunes, both sides excellent in my opinion. I wish I had the money to buy a copy. :( Anyone know if the tracks are available on CD?

Getting back to the grading, does look knackered to me, fit right in with my collection. :P Bet it still goes for a hefty price tho'. :thumbsup:

Social source share

https://cgi.ebay.com/Two-Plus-Two-I-M-SURE-...1QQcmdZViewItem

How can this be described as excellent? I appreciate it may be rare but it looks VG- to me. This is a subject close to my heart at the moment as I've just receievd two fairly low value records that were described as VG which were totally unplayable, and I paid registerd post :thumbsup: I got a third of the value refund.

Never mind VG-....it looks well f**ked to me Paul....and it's an english seller based in the states!!!!

We should have honest grading system...

Mint....unplayed

Near mint...played but looks and plays as new

Good.....used but plays without surface noise

Poor....well used and plays with some noise.

Shite.....see above

Social source share

Never mind VG-....it looks well f**ked to me Paul....and it's an english seller based in the states!!!!

We should have honest grading system...

Mint....unplayed

Near mint...played but looks and plays as new

Good.....used but plays without surface noise

Poor....well used and plays with some noise.

Shite.....see above

Here..f'ing Here absolutley right :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Isn't there a rule about posting up running ebay auctions!!!!

It's not badly listed, but it's fucking anoying to have a record flagged up that you are involved in. After, fine. During, bad etiquite IMO

Best to discuss auctions after they finish IMO.

Mike?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

It's not badly listed, but it's fucking anoying to have a record flagged up that you are involved in. After, fine. During, bad etiquite IMO

Mike?

Are you blind,it says excelent conditition,few light scuffs,when it should say,looks like a pile of crap,but plays excelent maybe?,the picture says it all,it dont look like s/s wont make any diffrance,any publicity and all,dont know what the rules are,funny remembering the rules when it suits you,funky six pakc for instance,Mike as been posting rules for weeks.................Right,i`m ready for your put downs,go for it,Mr Trouble :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Are you blind,it says excelent conditition,few light scuffs,when it should say,looks like a pile of crap,but plays excelent maybe?,the picture says it all,it dont look like s/s wont make any diffrance,any publicity and all,dont know what the rules are,funny remembering the rules when it suits you,funky six pakc for instance,Mike as been posting rules for weeks.................Right,i`m ready for your put downs,go for it,Mr Trouble :lol:

You put yoursefl down enough, no need for me to do it for you mate :ohmy::lol::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Good morning,Mr Trouble :thumbsup:

Good morning to you Ken. See you Saturday? :ohmy:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Mike?

There are plenty of posts on running ebay auctions in this section of the forum and others. E.G The northern soul cables and I mentioned one before about a northern soul tin. Someone highlighted an auction the other day. of 300+ records where all the intersting ones had the wrong sides listed.

Can't see what's wrong with commenting about ebay really, its a public web site with public auctions so its there for everyone to see. It is also a BIG part of the record collecting scene so is relevant.

Isn't there a rule about swearing?

Mum?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

There are plenty of posts on running ebay auctions in this section of the forum and others. E.G The northern soul cables and I mentioned one before about a northern soul tin. Someone highlighted an auction the other day. of 300+ records where all the intersting ones had the wrong sides listed.

Can't see what's wrong with commenting about ebay really, its a public web site with public auctions so its there for everyone to see. It is also a BIG part of the record collecting scene so is relevant.

Isn't there a rule about swearing?

Mum?

Might have been raresoulforum, thinking about it. I think the general conclusion was it's bad form to bring attention to auctions before they are finished. Especially on badly listed records eg auctions that list the wrong side.

A BIGGER part of record collectiong is getting records 'cheap' on auction. Flagging up big records before they have received much attention is only going to have a negative impact on any soul-source members who might be serious about buying them and not just talking about them. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Might have been raresoulforum, thinking about it. I think the general conclusion was it's bad form to bring attention to auctions before they are finished. Especially on badly listed records eg auctions that list the wrong side.

A BIGGER part of record collectiong is getting records 'cheap' on auction. Flagging up big records before they have received much attention is only going to have a negative impact on any soul-source members who might be serious about buying them and not just talking about them. :thumbsup:

The post about the auction records (the job lot) was aimed squarely at my head as I was the high bidder when it was posted and my name was there for all to see (the poster has since apologised so no problem), I've backed out of the race after all this but there's absolutely no way you can have a forum about records and not comment about stuff that's on ebay. Nobody is going to pick the Velgo record up for cheap so it makes no difference if people discuss it. It's a bit different when you spot something nobody else has and then it gets talked about but that's life!

Social source share

saw a very beat up copy of the colt 45's go for $440 a couple of hours ago it had a soundfile, surface noise warped as well graded vg-? what the fcuk is that apart from shite so I expect this will get top dollar.

I was keeping an eye on that myself. Just this last week I had a copy of EMANUEL LASKEY - PEASE LOVING MAN/SWEET LIES - THELMA come through I bought this as described VG++, it is totally unplayable and the seller is no longer a member on ebay. So what I've done is I went out and bought a picture display frame and i've made a wall mount with old fcuked records and some old membership cards as well as photo's and flyers . It now hangs on my wall and looks shit hot, records in it are

EMANUEL LASKEY- SWEET LIES

THE MOODS- RAINMAKER

GEORGE CARROW- ANGEL BABY

CHUCK JACJSON - THESE CHAINS OF LOVE

THE PARIMENTS - DON'T BE SORE AT ME

SOUL BROS SIX - THANK YOU BABY FOR LOVING ME

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The post about the auction records (the job lot) was aimed squarely at my head as I was the high bidder when it was posted and my name was there for all to see (the poster has since apologised so no problem), I've backed out of the race after all this but there's absolutely no way you can have a forum about records and not comment about stuff that's on ebay. Nobody is going to pick the Velgo record up for cheap so it makes no difference if people discuss it. It's a bit different when you spot something nobody else has and then it gets talked about but that's life!

I see your point of view, and I almost agree. But I don't. I think it is very bad etiquite to discuss auctions before they have finished on ebay (so I'm kind of contradictiong myself by continuing the discussion). Even the most chaotic board with no rules, the funk board, where everyone pisses, shits, cunts and craps over each other for fun doesn't discuss running ebay auctions. There is no upside to discussing running auctions untill they are over IMO.

But as you say, c'est la vie. The Velgo's not badly listed. But it did only have 60 or 70 hits up till yesterday , and there have been almost an extra 100 since this topic started :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

A BIGGER part of record collectiong is getting records 'cheap' on auction. Flagging up big records before they have received much attention is only going to have a negative impact on any soul-source members who might be serious about buying them and not just talking about them. :ohmy:

I hardly think that this was flagged up before it had received much attention as it was over 400 dollars when I saw it and posted, also the right side IS listed. Anything over 400 dollars tends to come to the attention of everyone who is interested in rare soul records on ebay. Buying, selling ar talking. I hope you do get this "cheap" whatever price that is, and I hope it plays better than it looks, but to me the described minor scuffs and scratches look pretty bad and that was what I was commenting on.

For comparison, here's an auction where a poor condition record has been described accurately:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:IT&ih=014

I'm holding the record in my hand at the moment and the scuffs look as bad as the Velgo jobby. :thumbsup:

Social source share

But as you say, c'est la vie. The Velgo's not badly listed. But it did only have 60 or 70 hits up till yesterday , and there have been almost an extra 100 since this topic started :thumbsup:

Surley thats a good thing though its been pointed out the record is knackered, so i would have thought people are only checking to see how knackered it is, basicly the thread is putting people off the record no? 70 hits for a record is alot IMO, lets say 20 out of those 70 wanted to bid on it thats alot of bids, its in the public eye any way any one who checks ebay alot will know its there, i'll bet my bottom dollar that any one who bids on it will be out of the first 70 hits :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I hardly think that this was flagged up before it had received much attention as it was over 400 dollars when I saw it and posted, also the right side IS listed. Anything over 400 dollars tends to come to the attention of everyone who is interested in rare soul records on ebay. Buying, selling ar talking. I hope you do get this "cheap" whatever price that is, and I hope it plays better than it looks, but to me the described minor scuffs and scratches look pretty bad and that was what I was commenting on.

For comparison, here's an auction where a poor condition record has been described accurately:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:IT&ih=014

I'm holding the record in my hand at the moment and the scuffs look as bad as the Velgo jobby. :thumbsup:

You're right. It's not as if it's a badly listed record, but you only need one big collector to see it because of discussion on this site and it can make a large difference in price, c'est la vie, but it is very anoying :ohmy:

You're right about the condition, looks terrible, can't see anyone bidding on that. Really bad, won't play at all, not worth bidding on such a bad condition record :lol::lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I was keeping an eye on that myself. Just this last week I had a copy of EMANUEL LASKEY - PEASE LOVING MAN/SWEET LIES - THELMA come through I bought this as described VG++, it is totally unplayable and the seller is no longer a member on ebay. So what I've done is I went out and bought a picture display frame and i've made a wall mount with old fcuked records and some old membership cards as well as photo's and flyers . It now hangs on my wall and looks shit hot, records in it are

EMANUEL LASKEY- SWEET LIES

THE MOODS- RAINMAKER

GEORGE CARROW- ANGEL BABY

CHUCK JACJSON - THESE CHAINS OF LOVE

THE PARIMENTS - DON'T BE SORE AT ME

SOUL BROS SIX - THANK YOU BABY FOR LOVING ME

Why dont you auction your framed 45s - probably get all your money back :thumbsup:

Social source share

I see your point of view, and I almost agree. But I don't. I think it is very bad etiquite to discuss auctions before they have finished on ebay (so I'm kind of contradictiong myself by continuing the discussion). Even the most chaotic board with no rules, the funk board, where everyone pisses, shits, cunts and craps over each other for fun doesn't discuss running ebay auctions. There is no upside to discussing running auctions untill they are over IMO.

James, there is something that you aren't taking into consideration. A lot of people don't look at any of the auctions until they are on their final day. Every day I just go to 'ending today' and do 24 hours worth. If I bid on anything prior to that, it's because the seller has sent a link. So thats why you don't get many bids in the early days of the auction, I wouldn't have known about that Velgo 45 til the last day myself. p.s. I don't think I've heard this, anyone got an mp3?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James, there is something that you aren't taking into consideration. A lot of people don't look at any of the auctions until they are on their final day. Every day I just go to 'ending today' and do 24 hours worth. If I bid on anything prior to that, it's because the seller has sent a link. So thats why you don't get many bids in the early days of the auction, I wouldn't have known about that Velgo 45 til the last day myself. p.s. I don't think I've heard this, anyone got an mp3?

Even so, it's bad form to flag up running auctions. But c'est la vie, hardly the end of the world. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Even so, it's bad form to flag up running auctions. But c'est la vie, hardly the end of the world. :thumbsup:

Maybe you consider it bad form, but it's not against Forum Rules and unlikely to affect the outcome of the auction.

Use of pointlessly obscene language is against the Forum Rules however, and those of us who use the Forum at work may have our ability to use this Forum curtailled as a result.

Now THAT's bad etiquette (note spelling)

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

Guest rachel

Maybe you consider it bad form, but it's not against Forum Rules and unlikely to affect the outcome of the auction.

Use of pointlessly obscene language is against the Forum Rules however, and those of us who use the Forum at work may have our ability to use this Forum curtailled as a result.

Now THAT's bad etiquette (note spelling)

Sweeney is quite correct here on both points - if anyone wishes to discuss the issue of posting about live auctions then feel free to start a topic in Site Stuff. As for language, yes I don't think people realise the impact it can have on other users - offending posts can be reported to moderators, as we don't always catch everything :lol:

Social source share

I remember a year or two ago I posted up a link to this record (different copy obviously) on Ebay. I thought I'd found a tune at starting bid of $7.99 that I might be able to win for about £20 or so, how wrong I was! :lol: It ended up at $6000, about £3000 I think, memory is not what it was.

As for the tunes, both sides excellent in my opinion. I wish I had the money to buy a copy. :lol: Anyone know if the tracks are available on CD?

Getting back to the grading, does look knackered to me, fit right in with my collection. :lol: Bet it still goes for a hefty price tho'. :lol:

Is it just me then that thinks both sides are rubbish. :lol:

Social source share

Looks like someone's had this away now. Isn't this the same copy as was up 18 months ago?

I don't think it is Dave, the previous one was sold by RECORDMANX to someone near Stoke (or so somebody suggested at the time).

Is it just me then that thinks both sides are rubbish. :lol:

Yes! :lol:

Social source share

Pete,

Both sides can be played on John Manships rarest of the rare. Bloody awfull to my ears. :yes::lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Blimey. Sleepless night, and I am agreeing with James. Gonna be a long day I reckon.

I am certain Paul wasnt doing anything malicious, but now the auction has ended maybe we could have a discussion about the etiquette?

As I said I agree with James, that current auctions shouldnt be talked about, unless say someone is selling a Howard Guyton boot as an original. :yes:

If you have spotted a good deal, and look like getting a bargain, it can only be really annoying for someone to flag it up to a forum. That is one of the few perks of ebay now. Spotting a wrongly listed item.

Its obviously different if it is your auction, and you are posting in the ebay area on here.

BTW the seller removed the record. Is this because he received emails about the condition, or has someone seen the link on here, made him an offer, and screwed up the other guys chances of winning it?

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Blimey. Sleepless night, and I am agreeing with James. Gonna be a long day I reckon.

I am certain Paul wasnt doing anything malicious, but now the auction has ended maybe we could have a discussion about the etiquette?

As I said I agree with James, that current auctions shouldnt be talked about, unless say someone is selling a Howard Guyton boot as an original. :yes:

Or someone has overgraded a record :lol:

If you have spotted a good deal, and look like getting a bargain, it can only be really annoying for someone to flag it up to a forum. That is one of the few perks of ebay now. Spotting a wrongly listed item.

Unless someone has listed a record outside the music category, then I guarantee that even wrongly listed records will be spotted by a good few people. I met a chap at the York all-dayer last year who told me that he gets up early EVERY morning and checks every new listing, he didn't elaborate how far he drills down. I thought "If he's doing it then a good few must be". A few years ago when less people had internet access and less US sellers knew about the rare soul market there were plenty of bargains and wrongly listed records but hardly any these days. You still pick up records cheap but they are few and far between.

If the general consensus is that live auctions should not be discussed then I'll go with that, no problems, but it is not the accepted situation at the moment. A recent example of a well discussed auction from the early stages was the Walter & the Admerations, where condition and price and bidders were freely discussed whilst the auction was live.

Its obviously different if it is your auction, and you are posting in the ebay area on here.

BTW the seller removed the record. Is this because he received emails about the condition, or has someone seen the link on here, made him an offer, and screwed up the other guys chances of winning it?

You need to ask him. The item had reached 400 dollars plus when I commented, which curenntly gets you on page two of a check on Music, records, R&B, 45 rpm listing highest price first. Tons of people check eBay using highest price first probably to check the going rate for their own records :lol: and I've lost count of the times I've had a snipe bid sitting waiting for a record that has ended early, presumably because the seller has accepted an offer, thats eBay.

Sorry to have caused such a fuss here but I posted initially on record condition, the photograph clearly shows the item to have multiple scratches when it is described as excellent, I thought that as it is such a rare record it merited discussion, thats it.

Social source share

Guest rachel

if anyone wishes to discuss the issue of posting about live auctions then feel free to start a topic in Site Stuff.

:yes::lol:

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Mikey, I see no problem with discussing live auctions. Sure, people actively involved in the bidding may be annoyed, but in the case of this particular item that probably equates to about a 0.01% of the membership of this site, if indeed that high a percentage.

This auction wasn't a misdescribed item and had already attracted many hits and bids. In this case it would be naive of anyone to think that there was a bargain in the offing.

Unfortunately, in this day and age a great deal of the Holy Grail Records that we obsess about are going to be auctioned on Ebay at some point. Not being able to discuss these while they are ongoing will be a major downer, especially as the vast majority of people on this forum will probably never get to own some of the stupidly rare items being discussed.

Many interesting and salient points came out of the discussion about the Walter and the Admerations disc, for example, that was auctioned comparatively recently. It would be a shame if the first we got to hear of it was discussing what it sold for.

I think the benefits of being able to discuss ongoing Ebay auctions vastly outweigh the negatives and self-interest of the tiny minority.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Honestly. Have you lot got any manners? ^_^

Sweeney. I was talking broadly, not specifically about the Velgo record.

But its good to have different opinions.

Strangely enough last night I got what can be described as a 'deal'on ebay. I :yes: like collecting American football cards. There is plenty of money to be made/spent. Last night I spotted 2 cards. (one of a player I am collecting in the hope of making a few quid.) The good thing with these cards is the manufacturers tell you on the card how many are produced if it is less than 2000. These cards were both numbered out of 6. So if there are more than 6 people trying to complete their collection prices can get quite high. (A 1/1 of some big baseball stars recently went for about $14k).

So I got the 2 cards for $4.26 including shipping. And this morning on my home email I recieved confirmation that a guy on a forum like this for cards, has agreed to pay me $250 for the card I dont want. On the card forum a few guys said they saw the auction, saw I was the only bidder and waited until it finished to discuss it.

That is the point I was trying to make. They could have scuppered my chance of a bargain. They could have stictched me up (not that is what i think anyone on here would do). But their etiquette said, wait until its over, then say what you like. That is the kind of etiquette I agree with regarding ebay. Obviously James and I are in the minority.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Strangely enough last night I got what can be described as a 'deal'on ebay. I :yes: like collecting American football cards. There is plenty of money to be made/spent. Last night I spotted 2 cards. (one of a player I am collecting in the hope of making a few quid.) The good thing with these cards is the manufacturers tell you on the card how many are produced if it is less than 2000. These cards were both numbered out of 6. So if there are more than 6 people trying to complete their collection prices can get quite high. (A 1/1 of some big baseball stars recently went for about $14k).

So I got the 2 cards for $4.26 including shipping. And this morning on my home email I recieved confirmation that a guy on a forum like this for cards, has agreed to pay me $250 for the card I dont want. On the card forum a few guys said they saw the auction, saw I was the only bidder and waited until it finished to discuss it.

That is the point I was trying to make. They could have scuppered my chance of a bargain. They could have stictched me up (not that is what i think anyone on here would do). But their etiquette said, wait until its over, then say what you like. That is the kind of etiquette I agree with regarding ebay. Obviously James and I are in the minority.

Too many people make their living from ebay to stand back and say "after you sir"...

Social source share

I see where you are coming from Mikey, but James was unhappy about the record being mentioned on here while still the auction was still live. But it was available for anyone to find on Ebay. Where does etiquette start ? Playing devils advocate here obviously, but assuming someone found it before James, why didn't he let that bidder have it, as in the example you've given above ?

Steve

Social source share

Quite a nice record, but one which I cannot see the point in owning: it already gets hammered up and down the country by the few peoplpe who already own it: or are we going to get entire nighters of people spinning Two Plus Two endlessly, perhaps the rare soul scene's 'logical' conclusion.

Social source share

Yeah but that's not quite the same is it? I see plenty of records under 10 dollars on eBay that are worth buying to resell or keep and wouldn't mention them on here whilst the auction is live because a) I have a snipe bid on them, cool.gif It would not be particularly interesting and c) when I attempt to resell them everyone will know what I paid and get all pear-shaped about me making a profit (perish the thought). This was a rare record that had already been bid up to over 400 dollars so it was hardly hidden. I had no idea who the bidders were and didn't really care anyway, I just thought it was interesting. If I'd posted up "Wow look at this great record that is really cheap" I could understand the complaints.

The guys on the card forum can't have guessed that someone would have paid 250 dollars for the card can they? Or they would have bid on it, surely (no I'm not calling you Shirley) The guy that has bought it obviously didn't see it or he would have bid too, unless he has a shed load of money and lets other people find things for him.

I really can't see anyone who uses eBay looking at an item they want and thinking: "Whoops hang on someone I know is bidding so I'll just leave that one" with the possible additional thought of "Shame cos it's only $4.26, never mind I'll offer the guy 250 for it when he wins" If that's what everyone thinks is the correct etiquette then I'll do 2 things: 1) regularly post up a list of items I'm bidding on so that everyone can steer clear :lol: and 2) Ignore the etiquette and bid over other peoples bids.

I had no idea this would be such an emotive subject, particularly as discussing live auctions is fairly common anyway.

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

They actually do leave player collectors alone when bidding for that player. Had i been bidding on a Dan Marino say I'm sure I'd have been knocked over in the stampede, but these are clued up guys. They know I collect JJ Arrington, and they did the decent thing.

I knew a guy collects the other player and emailed him as soon as the auction finished. Had he been involved it would have been seen as fair game, and he would have got the card for WAY less than I sold it to him for.

This is one of the few times admittedly I have nailed a bargain like this, but if I had lost it because somebody had posted a 'can you believe the price of these'type post on Beckett, i would have been less than thrilled.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert