San Remo Strings I Have Faith In You

Mtay9778

• Replies 98
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I suppose its too much to hope that you are on a train heading east from Moscow to Siberia where

your mobile wont work for a week or so.

Well since I am almost home to my beloved Edinburgh after a very short visit to my beloved London it pleases me immensely not to grant you your wish.

Although mobile doesn't work particularly well either at my workplace or my house may be enough to get you slightly excited,always dangerous at your age, however here in the real world we have things called tablets and computers when phone doesn't work.

To be honest, based on Milliband thread I could go away for a month and nothing new would have been said, although Mr Clangers recent impersonation of William Burroughs has been interesting.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Rob I counted and I have 98 original Motown backing tracks, you must have hundreds because only about 5 or 6 of yours appear in the lot I've got (from the deleted US Motown karaoke set), and no doubt even those are alternative versions.

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a Soul Source topic so much.

Seriously, thanks for sharing these gems.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Does anyone know the story behind this track, "Let's Do The Duck"...it appeared on the "Sound Of The Grapevine" LP many years ago...is there an acetate or was it off a tape?

:g:

Social source share

Talk about coincidences. I've been going through masters all-day for a forthcoming huge box set. The collection kicks off with Darrell Banks "Open The Door To Your Heart" and I got sent the master and blow me if it's not the instrumental! I've never heard this before but I presume it's popped up sometime....?

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Rubber Soul

Rob Moss, thanks for posting these amazing instrumentals!

They make you really appreciate the superb musicianship of the players on these Detroit masterpieces.

Those guys played with attitude!!!

Social source share

Talk about coincidences. I've been going through masters all-day for a forthcoming huge box set. The collection kicks off with Darrell Banks "Open The Door To Your Heart" and I got sent the master and blow me if it's not the instrumental! I've never heard this before but I presume it's popped up sometime....?

I don't think it has. The only Darrell Banks backing track I've heard is Somebody Somewhere Needs You.  

Social source share

Guest Rubber Soul

This is just awesome. I am struggling to come to terms with the fact that so many of these exist and have been kept so quiet. Surely stuff of this quality deserves a commercial release? 

I totally agree with you - deserves a release - or several!!

When it comes to proper releases of the Funk Brothers´ work on CD, I can think of only two, both released in 2004 (bloody hell, that´s ten years ago!) - the Deluxe Edition (2 CD) of the soundtrack to "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" (Hip-O) and "The Best Of The Funk Brothers 20th Century Masters The Millennium Collection" (Motown). 

But, as can clearly be seen above, there´s plenty more where that came from...

It would truly be fantastic if the creative minds at Ace/Kent would release a CD, or maybe a whole series... :rolleyes:

Keith Hughes, Mick Patrick, Tony Rounce and company are true heroes for their work with the Ace Motown releases, surely this would be a mouth-watering project.

And, to top it all off, maybe even some unreleased stuff on 45, like Kent does with their Pied Piper project.

Sorry, now I get carried away... But still, one is allowed to dream......... :wub:

Social source share

I totally agree with you - deserves a release - or several!!

When it comes to proper releases of the Funk Brothers´ work on CD, I can think of only two, both released in 2004 (bloody hell, that´s ten years ago!) - the Deluxe Edition (2 CD) of the soundtrack to "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" (Hip-O) and "The Best Of The Funk Brothers 20th Century Masters The Millennium Collection" (Motown). 

But, as can clearly be seen above, there´s plenty more where that came from...

It would truly be fantastic if the creative minds at Ace/Kent would release a CD, or maybe a whole series... :rolleyes:

Keith Hughes, Mick Patrick, Tony Rounce and company are true heroes for their work with the Ace Motown releases, surely this would be a mouth-watering project.

And, to top it all off, maybe even some unreleased stuff on 45, like Kent does with their Pied Piper project.

Sorry, now I get carried away... But still, one is allowed to dream......... :wub:

Mr. Soul - over 100 Funk Bros tracks were released in the 90's, they came out as Karaoke discs sold via Walmart.  They use the original backing tracks of everything from Shop Around onwards.  Not only that, but a second set just featured the a capella vocals to all of them as well.  Story goes that they were withdrawn from sale after a short while.  I think I still have all of these if you or anyone else wants them.  

Have a listen to this - OH MY GOD

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xiet6v_four-tops-ask-the-lonely-acapella_music

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Mr. Soul - over 100 Funk Bros tracks were released in the 90's, they came out as Karaoke discs sold via Walmart.  They use the original backing tracks of everything from Shop Around onwards.  Not only that, but a second set just featured the a capella vocals to all of them as well.  Story goes that they were withdrawn from sale after a short while.  I think I still have all of these if you or anyone else wants them.  

I agree Pete - those were fantastic. I bought some of the CDs from the states.....and then got the rest from you. The Isley's Take me in Your Arms Inst was the killer version for me. The thing about the ones Rob has is that they are of much less well known tracks. :)

Social source share

I don't think it has. The only Darrell Banks backing track I've heard is Somebody Somewhere Needs You.  

Blimey, you're right. I just did a search and nothing came up. I've just discovered the never-before-heard instrumental of "Open The Door To Your Heart" goddammit! Not bad for a rainy Wednesday evening ay?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Rubber Soul

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xiet6v_four-tops-ask-the-lonely-acapella_music

Thanks!!!

Amazing stuff you posted!

Never knew about those karaoke discs... Must check out!

But still, would be great if these tracks were given the Ace treatment  - superb mastering, liner notes resembling a book, beautiful label scans and proper payment to all surviving people involved... Plus the usual amount of unreleased tracks...

Social source share

Guest Rubber Soul

I mean "unreleased" as in "never before released - with or without vocals" - like some of the tracks on the Kent Billy Butler Okeh CD...

Social source share

Blimey, you're right. I just did a search and nothing came up. I've just discovered the never-before-heard instrumental of "Open The Door To Your Heart" goddammit! Not bad for a rainy Wednesday evening ay?

All you need now is to find the instrumental of Our Love Is In The Pocket and that could be one of the bests insts ever

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Rubber Soul

All you need now is to find the instrumental of Our Love Is In The Pocket and that could be one of the bests insts ever

I´ve got a UK Kool Kat 45 released in 1987 with that track on the B-side - Detroit Strings - In The Pocket, along with Willie Jones´ version of "My Baby Ain´t No Plaything".

On the A-side is Eric & The Vikings - Hurting (same backing track as Jimmy "Soul" Clark - Sweet Darlin´).

Social source share

I´ve got a UK Kool Kat 45 released in 1987 with that track on the B-side - Detroit Strings - In The Pocket, along with Willie Jones´ version of "My Baby Ain´t No Plaything".

On the A-side is Eric & The Vikings - Hurting (same backing track as Jimmy "Soul" Clark - Sweet Darlin´).

Yes that is a very mysterious track, it sounds a lot like Our Love but isn't, it's just got elements of it in there...Hitsville Chalky on here made a great vocal to that by Pat Lewis

Social source share

THIS IS JUST THE MOST AWSOME MOTOWN TRACK EVER.

KEV

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Rubber Soul

Yes that is a very mysterious track, it sounds a lot like Our Love but isn't, it's just got elements of it in there...Hitsville Chalky on here made a great vocal to that by Pat Lewis

OK. Once again, never knew. Must check the Pat Lewis´ version, should be on Youtube?? :huh:

But still, to my ears, that´s a great Detroit instrumental - totally storming!!!

Btw, Levi Stubbs´ singing on "Just Ask The Lonely" is just beyond words (when you hear the a cappella, it just blows you away)... That man could outsing most people on this planet!

Also great a cappellas on the DVD:s released some years ago by Reelin´ In The Years (Universal)  - Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Temptations, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Supremes... But then again  - loads more on the karaoke discs you previously mentioned... :g:

Still think the Funk Brothers are worthy of proper, kosher, legit, respectable releases of the best quality (best possible sound, liner notes, 100% unissued tracks, pictures, royalties paid etc)!

Social source share

Well the fact that the current repertoire owners sent a previously unheard instrumental of such a legendary classic indicates that they must have the original master tapes. I'll drop 'em a line tomorrow and see what other surprises they could be holding and I'll bet a pound to a penny they have an instrumental of "Our Love Is In The Pocket". Any other Revilot contenders I can pitch at 'em? 

There is a You Tube clip of the Lebaron Strings "Hit And Run" but it doesn't seen to want to play......

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Well the fact that the current repertoire owners sent a previously unheard instrumental of such a legendary classic indicates that they must have the original master tapes. I'll drop 'em a line tomorrow and see what other surprises they could be holding and I'll bet a pound to a penny they have an instrumental of "Our Love Is In The Pocket". Any other Revilot contenders I can pitch at 'em? 

There is a You Tube clip of the Lebaron Strings "Hit And Run" but it doesn't seen to want to play......

Hit And Run instrumental came out on Goldmine Ian, so strike that one off

Social source share

Hit And Run instrumental came out on Goldmine Ian, so strike that one off

I have that one here. TOTALLY SOLID HITBOUND is the CD. Also on there is Topper Productions - Happiness is here, Lebaron Orch - Hit & Run,  Revilot Orch - Somebody Somewhere.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Breathtaking and tears in the eyes inducing.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If you want I can email you the track Ian!

Social source share

I must admit to being a bit blasé about backing tracks of great vocals. We have a lot of Pied Piper instrumentals, I put a couple on the first CD but did not do more as I felt it was short changing customers. Also when I've played them out I get a reasonable response but nowt as keen as you lot on here. However if there is interest and demand, I could put them out on other comps or even use as flips of Pied Piper 45s. 'I'm Coming Home' is impressive as is 'I Can't Hold On', 'Hold On To My Baby' and the Dynamics 'I Need Your Love'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3bl6I78s8U

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Track listing;
Headline news
Hole in the wall
Don't say maybe baby
Unknown 
Unknown
When you came into my life
Everybody's got some soul
I have faith in you
Holding hands

Thanks Rob, thought I was going to find out the two ''unknowns'' but know why now I do not know them !!!!!

Social source share

:thumbsup:  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I must admit to being a bit blasé about backing tracks of great vocals. We have a lot of Pied Piper instrumentals, I put a couple on the first CD but did not do more as I felt it was short changing customers. Also when I've played them out I get a reasonable response but nowt as keen as you lot on here. However if there is interest and demand, I could put them out on other comps or even use as flips of Pied Piper 45s. 'I'm Coming Home' is impressive as is 'I Can't Hold On', 'Hold On To My Baby' and the Dynamics 'I Need Your Love'

Then you should jolly well stop being blasé about them Mr Croasdell. If you have them, you really should let us at them. :thumbup:

Social source share

If you want I can email you the track Ian!

Well, I have a flawless WAV Steve, so I'm OK on that score. But can I take it from the above that you've had this track for a while?

I'd be curious as to the source. I mean,this instrumental never came up when Goldmine had access to the Don Davis masters and there's no history on this instrumental even existing prior to now. So where did you get it from out of curiosity? I'm interested 'cos none of the serious Detroit collectors that I know had ever heard of it's existance. This is the original instrumental backing minus Darrell Banks. Are you sure yours is the same one...?

Ian D :)

Social source share

But what do people want? 7s, occasional CD tracks, sprinkled among vocals, or a dedicated instrumental CD? I'M sure there will be some who don't want them on a CD too

For me it will be vinyl, an album or the odd double A side 45 would be good but just getting them drip fed as B sides forever would be fine.

Social source share

But what do people want? 7s, occasional CD tracks, sprinkled among vocals, or a dedicated instrumental CD? I'M sure there will be some who don't want them on a CD too

Personal preference would be for a dedicated instrumental CD with 7's for the best of the bunch, but I guess it's hard to judge what the demand would be and which would generate the best return. I'm happy to get them in any format you can put them out on! The approach you take with Kent (vinyl and subsequently CD) compilations has always worked for me. I have bought the lot and will always do so. I guess you'll need to work out what people whose anorak hoods are less zipped up will buy. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dave, didn't he used to play Back Street purely instrumental version?

Hi Pete, Yes Guy used to play the Backstreet instrumental. Last time me thinks at Skipton many moons ago, but he told me he had to borrow it back to play it out. I have a tape of this one from the Richard Searling's radio show when it was played. Awesome instrumenal.

Best,

Ian

Social source share

Well, I have a flawless WAV Steve, so I'm OK on that score. But can I take it from the above that you've had this track for a while?

I'd be curious as to the source. I mean,this instrumental never came up when Goldmine had access to the Don Davis masters and there's no history on this instrumental even existing prior to now. So where did you get it from out of curiosity? I'm interested 'cos none of the serious Detroit collectors that I know had ever heard of it's existance. This is the original instrumental backing minus Darrell Banks. Are you sure yours is the same one...?

Ian D :)

I think we had.. :rofl: ..or I had my wires crossed somewhere in the thread Ian. I was meaning the Hit & Run backing track.

Social source share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3bl6I78s8U

I`m Coming Home backing track?.........marvelous!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The podcast below of Guy's Stafford spins features Backstreet amongst it as well as Phrenetics Band and Detroit Rhythm Section (Ollie McLaughlin Band) Saving My Love For My Baby

https://www.soulunderground.co.uk/StaffordTOTW/files/88762bb7ac7ad5ae827c0e5f50e9ddd8-26.html

The next one has other Detroit instrumentals, Shake Me Break Me, Don't Say Maybe Baby, Watch Your Step and In The Pocket.

https://www.soulunderground.co.uk/StaffordTOTW/files/12187c9540bf7d83810d483b3b8749bb-27.html

Social source share

Guest Rubber Soul

I really enjoyed the superb instrumentals on the first CD! 

Would be very happy for more on volume 2... Sprinkled among vocals is just fine - in the same style as on volume 1... :thumbsup:

Would not mind 45s either!!! :D

By the way, do you know when volume 2 is planned to drop??

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert