What The F**k Has Our Scene Come Too

Guest Chris Waterman

Guest Chris Waterman

Below you will find an attachment of a letter that has been sent to the Sec of The Broad Lane Social Club Essington Wolverhampton, the promotion Good Times is run by Max Millard (Blue Max) As Max is not a member of Soul Source he has asked if I will post this up for him.

I will also copy the letter word for word, just in case the scan does not show to clearly.

The comments below will be mine.

31/07/06

Dear Sir or Madam

First may I introduce myself, No names at this point all you need to know is that I am a local Police officer. I have been to your last two Soul nights at the Broad lane club, I feel you may need to know something about what is happening on these Soul nights.

I'm soory to say you have a big DRUGS problem, obviously you probably do not know at this stage. I have loved the Soul scene for many years, but this has always been a big problem, with venues having to close down in the past because of DRUGS.

The first thing I knew about this is when I attended about two months ago. Drugs were being sold openly on the car park at the back of the club, and then in the toilets inside. One of the men selling them was one of the DJ's I think he may be one of the people running the show?

When I entered the toilets two men were acting in a suspicious manner, I thought nothing of it, until the last soul night Friday 28th of July. The two men I witnessed last time were here again, they asked me if I wanted anything??? So I said what have you got on offer, they said Speed, Cooke, HEROINE (class A DRUG) At this point I could not believe it, so I said how much for the Heroine, they said £20 I said ok. The pack you see is what I purchased in the toilet just to show you what's going on. I was also asked if I needed syringes for injecting.

I then witnessed one of the men injecting himself in the cubical and the other snorting cocaine off the sink. At this point this was all to much for me and I left the event with the evidence.

I have a friend in the drugs squad, I have told him, but in a unoffcial way. So I am telling you this has to stop. If I come down and see this type of behaviour again I will officially contact the drugs squad. This is my duty to tell you, so you can act in whatever way fell, or it will be my duty to officially report this problem that may cost you your Licence. PLEASE TAKE NOTE THIS IS NOT A HOAX.

A well wisher.

post-900-1154802216.jpg

The letter has been given to the local police along with the suspect package

I have posted this, not to start a witch hunt ( If I knew who sent this, I would name and shame) but to highlight and ask what the f*** is going on with our scene?

Doe's this scumbag not realise that by their actions they bring unwanted attention from the Police ie smaller grass roots venues who run on a shoe string and who can not afford badged door staff could all get visits,

This sort of dirty trick seems to be coming the norm, God knows I and others have been targeted in the past and to tell you the truth, I had started to think Ahh well its part of the game of promoting now days!!

Well brothers and sisters we are killing our own scene from within.

Social source share

• Replies 79
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Could truly be a local bobby though Chris, however saying that my wife is a bobby and has to switch off I suppose to a lot of goings out when we are out, e.g. drink drivers etc. It may be this is someone who has it in for the promoters, if it is then very naughty :angry:

Social source share

Chris, For what it's worth mate i don't think it's a copper, off duty or not a policeman would have called upon his friends straight away mate, also the spelling, bad grammer etc. this is not written by a policeman again they would have acted with the more direct approach however, policeman or not this letter will i'm sure prove disaster to the venue and it's promoter, i reckon it's someone having a very nasty dig here, not nice at all.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Could truly be a local bobby though Chris, however saying that my wife is a bobby and has to switch off I suppose to a lot of goings out when we are out, e.g. drink drivers etc. It may be this is someone who has it in for the promoters, if it is then very naughty :angry:

Hi Grant

I put the letter up as it was wrote, the person who I don't beleive is a local bobby, have you seen the way they spelt coke and other drugs!! and would they not have had to hand the drugs in to the nick rather than send them to the club?

My whole point in the post is this is nasty and if it carries on lots of little clubs will be forced to close.

Edited by Chris Waterman
Social source share

Below you will find an attachment of a letter that has been sent to the Sec of The Broad Lane Social Club Essington Wolverhampton, the promotion Good Times is run by Max Millard (Blue Max) As Max is not a member of Soul Source he has asked if I will post this up for him.

I will also copy the letter word for word, just in case the scan does not show to clearly.

31/07/06

Dear Sir or Madam

First may I introduce myself, No names at this point all you need to know is that I am a local Police officer. I have been to your last two Soul nights at the Broad lane club, I feel you may need to know something about what is happening on these Soul nights.

I'm soory to say you have a big DRUGS problem, obviously you probably do not know at this stage. I have loved the Soul scene for many years, but this has always been a big problem, with venues having to close down in the past because of DRUGS.

The first thing I knew about this is when I attended about two months ago. Drugs were being sold openly on the car park at the back of the club, and then in the toilets inside. One of the men selling them was one of the DJ's I think he may be one of the people running the show?

When I entered the toilets two men were acting in a suspicious manner, I thought nothing of it, until the last soul night Friday 28th of July. The two men I witnessed last time were here again, they asked me if I wanted anything??? So I said what have you got on offer, they said Speed, Cooke, HEROINE (class A DRUG) At this point I could not believe it, so I said how much for the Heroine, they said £20 I said ok. The pack you see is what I purchased in the toilet just to show you what's going on. I was also asked if I needed syringes for injecting.

I then witnessed one of the men injecting himself in the cubical and the other snorting cocaine off the sink. At this point this was all to much for me and I left the event with the evidence.

I have a friend in the drugs squad, I have told him, but in a unoffcial way. So I am telling you this has to stop. If I come down and see this type of behaviour again I will officially contact the drugs squad. This is my duty to tell you, so you can act in whatever way fell, or it will be my duty to officially report this problem that may cost you your Licence. PLEASE TAKE NOTE THIS IS NOT A HOAX.

A well wisher.

post-900-1154802216.jpg

I have posted this, not to start a witch hunt ( If I knew who sent this, I would name and shame) but to highlight and ask what the f*** is going on with our scene?

Doe's this scumbag not realise that by their actions they bring unwanted attention from the Police ie smaller grass roots venues who run on a shoe string and who can not afford badged door staff could all get visits,

This sort of dirty trick seems to be coming the norm, God knows I and others have been targeted in the past and to tell you the truth, I had started to think Ahh well its part of the game of promoting now days!!

i smell a rat here :thumbsup: some lowlife is stirring here could there be a connection with the goings on at the old junction 11 venue,stuff like this can only do harm whistling.gif Edited by wolvessoulboy
Social source share

Hi Grant

I put the letter up as it was wrote, the person who I don't beleive is a local bobby, have you seen the way they spelt have spelt coke and other drugs!! and would they not have had to hand the drugs in to the nick rather than send them to the club?

My whole point in the post is this is nasty and if it carries on lots of little clubs will be forced to close.

Aaah, thought you had just re-typed in haste Chris (not that you cant spell mate), didnt enlarge the actual letter. As Mark says could be someone having a nasty dig at the venue/promotion. Mind you my wife is a crap speller whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Chris, For what it's worth mate i don't think it's a copper, off duty or not a policeman would have called upon his friends straight away mate, also the spelling, bad grammer etc. this is not written by a policeman again they would have acted with the more direct approach however, policeman or not this letter will i'm sure prove disaster to the venue and it's promoter, i reckon it's someone having a very nasty dig here, not nice at all.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I agree Mark and the culb have seen this for what it is, so i don't think Max will suffer to much. I just hope the sender and their venue get what coming to them, but as I stated in the post if this shit keeps going on other venues will get hurt, I really worry for this thing of ours

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

i smell a rat here :thumbsup: some lowlife is stirring here could there be a connection with the goings on at the old junction 11 venue,stuff like this can only do harm whistling.gif

To be honest Wolves soulboy I don't think it is connected and if I did I would not be backword in coming forward

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Sorry to hear about this kind of shit again.

Have you contacted the local police to see if this is true? Then you'll know if it was an off duty copper or a so-called 'soulie'. Although asking the police if they have received this might bring unwelcome attention, but i'm sure they know what goes on at soul does but they leave us pretty much alone because we are all consenting adults these days and not junkie teenagers. It's pretty much like the drunk driving thing, how many times do you see squad cars parked outside working men's clubs waiting to nick 50+ year old blokes who have a skin full and drive home? Never, they are always in town nicking the kids.

I'll bet the club has a few regulars who would get nicked for drink driving and maybe even after hours drinking, so i expect they don't want the police involved either.

Hope it gets sorted whistling.gif

Matt

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

it's interesting that they highlight that heroin is a class A drug , so is speed isn't it ? and a policeman/woman would have known that ... and to confuse heroin with a herione (such as joan of arc lol) is schoolboy.

HOWEVER it does seem to be a summary warning from someone that they have a grudge and will shut it down if they can

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Sorry to hear about this kind of shit again.

Have you contacted the local police to see if this is true? Then you'll know if it was an off duty copper or a so-called 'soulie'. Although asking the police if they have received this might bring unwelcome attention, but i'm sure they know what goes on at soul does but they leave us pretty much alone because we are all consenting adults these days and not junkie teenagers. It's pretty much like the drunk driving thing, how many times do you see squad cars parked outside working men's clubs waiting to nick 50+ year old blokes who have a skin full and drive home? Never, they are always in town nicking the kids.

I'll bet the club has a few regulars who would get nicked for drink driving and maybe even after hours drinking, so i expect they don't want the police involved either.

Hope it gets sorted whistling.gif

Matt

Hi Matt

Max got a visit form the Sec of the club and was left with a copy of the letter, the orginal was handed to the Police along with the package ( by the club) they have to cover themselves, as far as I know the Police have taken it for what it is!

but hey the damage is done

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Surely this is one isolated incident featuring a nut that writes letters badly.

I don't want to make light of it, but its not a general reflection of the scene.

I wish I could agree with you Col, but only last week I was talking with Phil Turner who is co-promoter of J9 a venue in that area and he told me that the owners of their venue had found drugs planted in their toilets, with a follow up call to help them find them,

another major niter had stuff left in toilets so the owners could find,

I have had a venue offer with drawn because of a letter and a visit by the DS at one of my venues because some nice soul brother kept making calls.

Add these to others posted on this site in recent months and with respect, isolated its not,

I put up with ' Oh I heard your nights cancelled' nearly every promotion which i take as par for the course.

Social source share

Must be a fooking thick copper then, even the most daft plod ain’t gonna risk his job & pension with a caper like this!

Also;

It’s a criminal offence to solicit dealers and purchase illicit drugs*

It’s a criminal offence to send noxious substances like illicit drugs* (heroin) through the Royal Mail

It’s a criminal offence to distribute illicit drug * i.e. by sending it on to the club owner

* The writer at no point suggest that the substance may not be genuine heroin.

If you find out who sent the letter they might find themselve having to answer for the criminal offences they have confessed to in writting in the letter and by sending it.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I wish I could agree with you Col, but only last week I was talking with Phil Turner who is co-promoter of J9 a venue in that area and he told me that the owners of their venue had found drugs planted in their toilets, with a follow up call to help them find them,

I have had a venue offer with drawn because of a letter and a visit by the DS at one of my venues because some nice soul brother kept making calls.

Add these to others posted on this site in recent months and with respect, isolated its not,

I put up with ' Oh I heard your nights cancelled' nearly every promotion which i take as par for the course.

but then chris we all know that drugs are part of the scene ,, and if police find drugs in the club (that haven't been planted by parties) , then surely the club gets whats coming to it ....no?

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

31/07/06

Dear Sir or Madam

A well wisher.

post-900-1154802216.jpg

whistling.gif:thumbsup::ohmy::yes: and one from my mate Paco :yes:
Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

but then chris we all know that drugs are part of the scene ,, and if police find drugs in the club (that haven't been planted by parties) , then surely the club gets whats coming to it ....no?

Hi Davie

With the best will in the world, you can't be everywhere, and I think I have read your post right and if I am not mistaken you run a club in Scotland?..........

So if drugs were found in your club and you had done everything you could to police your venue, would you still agree with your last statement?

Edited by Chris Waterman
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Hi Davie

With the best will in the world, you can't be everywhere, and I think I have read your post right and if I am not mistaken you run a club in Scotland?..........

So if drugs were found in your club and you had done everything you could to police your venue, would you still agree with your last statement?

i would have to really ...

if it was planted by some kind of rival the i'd be upset .

i think people have got complacent thinking it's acceptable to openly do it , and it's not, they should keep private stuff private

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

Chris

I doubt very much if the person who has written this letter is a Police Officer, there is too much contridiction in what is written and what actions this person took

I agree with Simon re the Offences committed by the letter writer,and if genuine ( doubt very much) they should be acted upon

How can you Unofficially inform the Drugs Squad and ask not for this to happen again or else they will imform the Police then end with this quote

so the Police have been informed Officially??This would have been acted upon by now if genuine and the the DJ or person running the show mentioned would have been questioned

by now as the person writting the letter would have had to complete paperwork etc and place the items into a property system, and the Supervision of the writer would have asked questions and answers would have had to be given

Seems totally false to me, dosen't make sense, if it's another promotor or someone bearing a grudge, it's shit, however what it would done is have the desriered effect by placing doubts in the minds of the clubs managerment

Paul Conroy

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

i would have to really ... i know there has been drugs in my club and if they get caught then what choice have i got ? ..

if it was planted by some kind of rival the i'd be upset .

i think people have got complacent thinking it's acceptable to openly do it , and it's not, they should keep private stuff private

I am with you on this Davie, too many of us on this scene think ' They won't bother us'

and thats the point I was getting at in my first post.......much more and they will start to bother us...Big time

Social source share

Guest Marcelle

why dont you all start talking about these situations on the net for fucks sake? thumbsup.gif

Hi sydney bridge

forgive me if i`ve missed read your "meaning" behind your post, but it seems to me that the important issue is being "lost" in people concentrating on the content of the letter, rather than the "intent" behind the letter.

We are all adults (though I use that term to mean age not maturity) most people if not all, are aware that as with all "dance scenes" alongside it runs a "drug culture".

Im sure the authorities are not that niave to think that it dosnt exist on the Soul Scene anymore, they know it does & they deal with it accordingly.

Talking about it on here or anywhere else is not going to alter what they do or not do.

We put the letter up to highlight that yet again there are "some people" who will use whatever means they can to

"hurt, damage or destroy" a venue, a promoter & in some cases Djs.

Unfortuntly & sadly this is not an isolated case, this is becoming more & more the "norm" & thats the problem "we" are becoming more accepting of this vile behaviour.

Having been on the reicieving, end of "letters, phone calls emails, threats ect"

(Boy will I milk it in when the book is published :thumbsup: )

I know how much damage this DOES not only to the venue, the promoter (& family) but also the damage it can & will do to the scene ....

So the issue is "not are drugs available" on the scene.

The issue is "What the F***k has our scene come too" ?

My heart goes out to Max, because even though (like he has with me any many occassions as he`s giving me the biggest hug) said "dont worry"

I know he will be worried, & also very sad that there are people on the Scene that will sink lower than a sewer rat,

to HURT HIM because that is what this has done.

All that said, I do still believe that these people are in the minority, & as the saying goes "what goes around comes around" so start watching as the "Sewer Rats" go back to where they belong ......

Marcelle

(ps thanks to everyone for cards choccys messages ect ect ect whilst i`ve been in hospital .... all clear for another 2 years YIPPEE)

Edited by Marcelle
Social source share

Didn't realise the scale of it. I stand corrected.

Social source share

It's obviously an attempt by a rival promotor to get the event shut down. But on another point: if there were drugs being used at the venue, or any other venue running soul nights - how sad is that? Yes, speed at an allnighter but at a local soul night? What, people can't stay awake til 2 o clock without taking gear?

Social source share

Good of you to post this Chris -

I have to say as a regular attender at " Good Times" and occasional DJ there, as well as a friend of Max - that whoever sent the letter to the club could not have had it more wrong with regard to this particular venue.

Broad Lane is a lovely club, not pretentious and having a great room to spare for a soul night once a month with the odd saturday offered when they have no bookings for the function room. This night incidentally probably keeps the club just about viable as a local amenity as Essington is not a thriving metropolis.

I know personally two Police Officers who attend regularly and enjoy the spirit of the soul night which caters for everyone and generates a warm friendly atmosphere.

The whole ethos of the "Good Times" organisers is EXACTLY that - and the enthusiasm they put into it rubs off on the paying punters.

The letter COULD have created havoc, but thankfully the venue management reacted in a sensible manner and the promotors did not it allow dampening of the spirit despite it leaving a sour taste in ones mouth.

Genuine soul lovers are not stupid, they will support those that themselves are genuine too!

I'll be back next month

:thumbsup:

Social source share

31/07/06

Dear Sir or Madam

A well wisher.

post-900-1154802216.jpg

hi chris it's probably the sames asshole whos trying to damage your venues coppers know whats going on this 2006 not the 70's I must admit at some venues it's open handed just watch your back big brothers watching.

Cheers P.C Whizz

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

It's obviously an attempt by a rival promotor to get the event shut down. But on another point: if there were drugs being used at the venue, or any other venue running soul nights - how sad is that? Yes, speed at an allnighter but at a local soul night? What, people can't stay awake til 2 o clock without taking gear?

Thats a very valid point which i thought at reading the letter, how did it all come down to underhanded snidey cheapshots its sickening really :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thing is if you was old bill and you see this going on and wanted to act on it wouldn't you have a word with the promoter that night show him your warrant card and say you better watch your back.... if i see it who else has... blah blah blah....

I think a genuine soulie (whatever your line of work) if you have a good local do on, you would support it not want to close it..

Social source share

THIS JUST SHOCKS ME. WHO EVER SENT THIS IS 100% TOTAL WANKER. I WAS THERE THE LAST 2 EVENTS AND NOTHING BUT GOOD PEOPLE, I DIDNT SEE NO DRUG DEALING. PLEASE LETS NOT ACCUSE CERTAIN PEOPLE, UNTIL WE HAVE PROOF. MAX IS ONE OF WELL LOVED DJ IN THE WEST MIDLANDS AND DOES NOT NEED THIS SHIT.

LETS SUPPORT THIS EVENT TO MAKE IT BIGGER AND SPREAD THE WORD WHAT A GREAT NIGHT THIS IS WITH TOP TUNES AND GREAT DJS.

Edited by hitsville chalky
Social source share

This kind of thing is truly sickening, but alas is nowt new.

I wrote a letter to Black Echoes magazine about this very thing happening at Bradford Queens Hall niter when Steve Croft and I were running it back in 1988/89.

It happened a few times and eventually did work and got us shut down for a while.

The green eyed monster is, and never has been, far away on the scene.

Hope they don't shut the place down.

Phil

Social source share

Tell you what though, I've been 'aware' of drugs on the scene since I was 16 and I can honestly say I have never, ever heard of 'heroine' being taken or offered for sale at any Northern venue. The effect that the drug has is hardly likely to make it a favourite of people who want to dance all night!

Social source share

Definately from a person missing a few brain cells and out to cause trouble.

In the letter he writes," firstly I want to introduce myself ", then dosen't :ohmy: He has loved the scene for many years but it has always been a big problem and then goes onto say, "the first thing he knew about it was 2 months ago wacko.gif

In 28 yrs on the scene I have never known anyone offer speed, cooke and Heroine :lol: (great spelling), along with needles for injecting Heroin.

As he would seriously risk his position in the police force if found not to have officially reported what he knew and witnessed as an off duty police officer, I'm certain he would not have drawn unwanted attention by writing this letter - or should I say tried to write - leaves a lot to be desired regarding the spelling - certainly not acceptable by police standards.

Careful could always be a set up, to find out peoples reactions and if they mention their behaviour at venues if you get my drift :thumbsup:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

I think you are going off on a tangent here Pete.

Firstly - there is no real evidence of any drugs being taken at the venue in question.

Secondly - nobody, on the scene would takes speed for a 2 am finish.

Social source share

Guest Brian J

I can only speak as I find.

Never seen or known any body doing speed on a normal soul night.

Probably 50% of the people on the dancefloor are on gear at a normal soul night and it has nothing to do with wanting to stay up all night.

It's part of our social culture and it allows the user to participate fully in one of their more favourable passtimes.....dancing!

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I'm amazed at that, I really am.

seen people coming into a do at midnight with one hour left and asking if anyone had any gear ....

face some people use it as a "legitimate" excuse to take drugs .

i have often wondered and this is an honest question but if an enforcable no drugs allnighter was put on how many people would go , or more interestingly wouldn't go

Social source share

The two men I witnessed last time were here again, they asked me if I wanted anything??? So I said what have you got on offer, they said Speed, Cooke, HEROINE (class A DRUG)

Our local funk/soul night's also suffering a Cooke problem. There's this dj who keeps spinning sam cooke records every night, and it's really becoming a problem :yes:

...sorry for the bad joke :lol:

I didn't know the UK soul scene had such problems! People who hide heroine in toilets to damage fellow promoters??? wtf??? That almost sounds like organised crime mannerism to me!

peace

diggersgoldrecords

Social source share

I'm sure we all have funny stories etc to tell but didn't someone get there name in the paper once for football stuff after some one read it on here... maybe we should stop about what other people do at nighters and get back to how bad the letter is... sorry just a thought i'm as bad as everyone else...

Social source share

I'm sure we all have funny stories etc to tell but didn't someone get there name in the paper once for football stuff after some one read it on here... maybe we should stop about what other people do at nighters and get back to how bad the letter is... sorry just a thought i'm as bad as everyone else...

Most sensible post on this thread.

Too many people trying to highlight some thing that isn't a problem and making it one, if you dont like it turn a blind eye, or dont go simple as.

Social source share

Most sensible post on this thread.

Too many people trying to highlight some thing that isn't a problem and making it one, if you dont like it turn a blind eye, or dont go simple as.

What are you on about, I don't give a rats arse if people take drugs or not, I'm just saying that if they take them at a soul night they appear to be a bit sad.

Social source share

What are you on about, I don't give a rats arse if people take drugs or not, I'm just saying that if they take them at a soul night they appear to be a bit sad.

Thats your view Pete and your entitled to it, but i think this topic is growing into somthing that it shouldn't IMO, lets not forget the thread is about some one sending a underhand letter to a venue to deliberatly close a venue down, not who and why and should/shouldn't do/use drugs thread, pointless IMO :yes:

Social source share

Guest Brian J

Why are they sad Pete?

Drugs, like alcohol, are used as a part of social pleasure.

You could say that people who pay thousands of pounds for record collections are 'sad'. :yes:

Social source share

Why are they sad Pete?

Drugs, like alcohol, are used as a part of social pleasure.

You could say that people who pay thousands of pounds for record collections are 'sad'. :yes:

Yeah they are :lol:

Sad because it seems a bit weird to take gear for like 3 hours thats all...it's usually for a longer haul.

Social source share