£25 And Under Dj Sets

Easy..... any Kent CD and let it run through, instant set and the whole set for under £25...

am i missing the point....

I'll get my coat....

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

2 records spots for less that 25 per spot ! (if you are really careful and shop around)

60's

Bobby Hebb Love Love Love

Supremes Itching in my heart

Stirling Magee Keep on

Candace love - Wonderful night 

70's

You know how to love me - Phyllis Hyman

Make my dream a reality - GQ

On Broadway - George Benson

Giving it all to you - Cheryl Berdell 

Social source share

I suppose I have a bee in my bonnet about overpriced records on todays scene , not meant to offend here ,but its definitely becoming harder

to have a decent play box without a mortgage.

I have to say that having come back onto the scene a couple of years ago, I was both amazed and dismayed by the way prices had gone up! Never mind a mortgage, you wouldn't have a huge collection for a million quid the way things have gone. Where does a young kid or someone returning to the scene begin to assemble a collection?

I've been around the scene since the mid '70's and obviously have seen prices spiral, arguably out of control. I remember for instance Flowers 'For Real' when it appeared at the Canal Tavern at Thorne under either Fish or Rod Dearlove. I seem to remember seeing around thirty copies together at around £30 each. John Manship recently sold one for £2600! Brilliant as I think it is, £2600 for a tune that's not particularly rare! 

We had some fantastic nights at the Canal Tavern in Thorne near Doncaster, helped along with the draught Caffrey's which in its original form was true Amber nectar. The Canal Tavern currently hosts one of the best rare soul events in the country, 'Boomerang' hosted by Maria O and regularly guested by Arthur Fenn, is an awesome musically, but friendly connoisseurs night out.

A case in point re record prices: I was chatting to Arthur Fenn, just last week. He related how Don Garner was set aside in his pile at £100 when he went to Soul Bowl around the end of the 1970's. Brilliant, brilliant record that it is, certainly in my top choice, what's is it now, £10,000 ish?

Edited by John Everard
Social source share

If you want to hear something different, try "feed your soul" Newark

I spun at the last one, every record in my set (apart from james Walsh) was under £25, but I only spun that because I was asked to. 

All the DJs played some fine soul, I shall endeavour to be at the next one too 

I can attest to a brilliant afternoon out at the above said event! Definitely on my calendar now.

Edited by John Everard
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Great effort, some good tunes in there too. How much is the brilliant Cheryl Berdell? Played at Skegness Weekender last week and was very well received in the modern room!

If berdell were rare it would be an expensive tune. There's plenty on discogs at around £20. Should get played more. Price snobbery? 

Social source share

If berdell were rare it would be an expensive tune. There's plenty on discogs at around £20. Should get played more. Price snobbery?

The last time I did a spot, the very last record was Cheryl Berdell.

Too good and too inexpensive to contemplate, listing it, packing it and walking a mile to post it!

Social source share

There as always been a lot of price snobbery, its part of the scene like anything else..... Let em play that game, each to their own.... I look forward to maybe seeing a few new faces on Saturday and any lookbacks after the event.. The front room too will feature many tunes that don't cost a lot among some big ticket stuff.. No big deal, its all soul aint it....  I know many collectors/ djs over the years who would never look at anything under £80, they were playing the " keeping up with the Joneses " game....   They missed out on so much quality and i have seen many of them running up to decks all excited on hearing a tune they dont know, they then find out its only cheap to buy and lose interest, its a funny old game.... Nowt wrong in doing any of this in any way you want, if we all did the same it would be quite dull...

When you can break a tune you find for peanuts and it goes on to be a monster then i would call that satisfaction indeed.. I am sure there are many examples????? i dont mean something bought in the 70s/ 80s against its cost now, more about something in the last 10/15 years....

Peace x

Steve ....you mention keeping up with the Jones' .....well as one of em  ......there's no problem there ...all mine were cheap !!! :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Excellent records - plenty of scope for a few gems to be fed out here alongside some forgotten dancers. 

FYI - Running order for this Sat if anyone is keen or needs a last minute bit of persuasion - Different Strokes Back room is a follows:

Running order is as follows:

9:00-9:30 Gary Bratchford

9:30-10:00 Nev 

10:00-10:30 Dave Abbot

10:30-11:00 Adam Leaver

11:00-11:30 Adam Topping

11:30-12:00 Gary Bratchford

12:00-12:30 Nev

12:30-01:00 Dave Abbot

01:00-01:30 Adam Leaver

01:30-02:00 Adam Topping

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's all about balance for me, don't mind hearing D.J's playing expensive tunes, but stick a few cheapo's in too, if it's all Rare for rare sake sake it just becomes pretentious IMO, having said that, for me the music quality is of course the most important aspect, keep it soul ful !, and don't take your ego's behind the decks, leave them at the door.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I'm just scared that half my records will be getting a spin in the back room .......  :hypo:

I think its a great idea , and something different to help side step the snobbery and elitism , besides that its a chance for us to get some top class Dj's and dealers on spinning alternative underplayed records (whom I'm sure will be bringing spares of records played to shift , so bring your purses). 

We are always looking for things that will make our night a bit different .....  Just hope I get chance to spend some time in both rooms whilst hosting the event .

Judging by the comments on the thread its got people talking (about the concept).

Hope some of you can make it ........ 

https://www.facebook.com/events/1556885014572579/?ref=1

RSVP if you can  folks ....... 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

At the last all dayer at Diff Strokes,Steve played a tune,there we are racking our brains,,,," i used to have this " etc etc.....turns out its the "other version" of Leon Collins on Elf......not the green one.......that's what its all about......

Social source share

At the last all dayer at Diff Strokes,Steve played a tune,there we are racking our brains,,,," i used to have this " etc etc.....turns out its the "other version" of Leon Collins on Elf......not the green one.......that's what its all about......

I had exactly the same issue with Sam from the Blk Bee - I've got the Green Issue version on Elf which is more 'electronic sounding' if thats the right description. And I was sat there thinking...this sounds familiar...I'm sure i've got it.  :thumbsup: 

In the box for tomorrow - across the board soul sounds!

Edited by TailorMade Gaz B
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!