Another Collins House / Northern Comparisson

Mal C

Here's another of my random Soul / House comparisons, if you dont like house 89-93, then this will be lost on you, if you do your in for a treat...

So Picture the eye of the storm, Shelly's in Stoke is packing them in Friday / Saturday nights,  Amnesia in Cov is raving all weekend, The Hummingbird in My home town Birmingham is the place to be come Friday night, a pretty dangerous place, you never went to the bogs on your own else you would lose your gear with out doubt...and there was always trouble between black and white, especially with the Kings Standing kids, villa supporters mainly... but its were the city's cultures met on Friday night..

However on the dance floor, none of that, just a mass of kids giving it everything, the steady stream of 50 or so literally skipping around a packed floor is something Ive never seen anywhere else, in fact the Hummingbird had things Ive never seen in any other club anywhere in the world...

You can see why we absolutely loved 'Patti Day - Right Before My Eyes'. For me this bridges the Gap between two musical genres I love, you can dig the vocals on the Chicago stuff, but this just sounds 'Northern Soul' to my ears.... and it was such a MASSIVE record in the clubs back then...

You dont need to reply to the thread, its not why I put it up, just listen to clip, and perhaps see things from another angle...!!

Enjoy...

'Patti Day - Right Before My Eyes'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaPSdvFQXh8

Today's BONUS tracks, cause there is always bonus tracks.......heard allot in 89/90, its never played since to my knowledge, has bugger all to do with northern soul I'm afraid, but no apologies... its very DARK!!! and oh so good...

'The Suburban Knight - The Art Of Stalking'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7N8tNuuGv8

and this is simply awesome...same label as 'Landlord- I Like it...'

Jillian Mendez - Dont Know What You're Missin (Sin Club Dub)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9opJNenN0M

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Frank Webster and myself went to a Niter in Coventry quite a few years ago, when we arrived the queue was massive and we both thought it's gonna be one hell of a night. Turned out that Amnesia was on upstairs and as the Northern room was crap we, along with most of the others from the Northern room, spent most of the night in there. 

Certainly not a night to forget

Mark C :huh:

Social source share

Seem to remember there being a Northern night on at one of the Amnesia's... it was a very gritty place, lots of Nutters! which I loved...

After one night I was sitting in a car with allot of mates, and we pipped a Ted Massey tape on from the Old Vic, two of the guys weren't into Northern but they did say it was bloody good music to come down on... :hypo:

mal

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Frank Webster and myself went to a Niter in Coventry quite a few years ago, when we arrived the queue was massive and we both thought it's gonna be one hell of a night. Turned out that Amnesia was on upstairs and as the Northern room was crap we, along with most of the others from the Northern room, spent most of the night in there. 

First time I've ever had my trousers taken down for a search going in to a nighter... Remember some very phased rave kids coming to see what was going on with all these old guys off their tits downstairs - yes it was a crap night in the Northern room BTW.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

I went to the same nighter at the eclipse. Then I was doing house and nighters but by then Northern was beginning to take a back seat. Myself and Kerso from Bellshill spent most of the night flitting between both floors, a bit like Bradford :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!