Secret/hidden Tracks On Cds

Rick Scott

Don't know if this has ever been discused on here before apologies if it has but if you are not familiar with this practice record used to put a "Secret Track" on a CD for you to find for yourself without telling you it was there. They were found after the last track played say track 15 would fade and time numbers would continue and anywhere up to a minute or so later a track would kick in.

I will kick things off with the CD Chris Hill's "New School Caister Soul Anthems" that Expansion put out in 2005 let track 15 play to the end and leave running and the unlisted track "Thank You" kicks in which samples the Detroit Spinners intro riff from "I'll Be Around"  So what "secret/hidden tracks have you found (providing you buy CDs) I believe this practice started as a sales drive in the early days of the CD. Please feel free to discuss/share...Rick 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

RICK SCOTT, on 15 Sept 2014 - 1:07 PM, said:

Don't know if this has ever been discused on here before apologies if it has but if you are not familiar with this practice record used to put a "Secret Track" on a CD for you to find for yourself without telling you it was there. They were found after the last track played say track 15 would fade and time numbers would continue and anywhere up to a minute or so later a track would kick in.

I will kick things off with the CD Chris Hill's "New School Caister Soul Anthems" that Expansion put out in 2005 let track 15 play to the end and leave running and the unlisted track "Thank You" kicks in which samples the Detroit Spinners intro riff from "I'll Be Around"  So what "secret/hidden tracks have you found (providing you buy CDs) I believe this practice started as a sales drive in the early days of the CD. Please feel free to discuss/share...Rick 

As soon as I saw the thread title I immediately thought of that "Thank You" track Rick. I really like it. I think the artist is Italian and that Sean Hampsey was involved in the project in some way. My memory could be wrong though.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

As soon as I saw the thread title I immediately thought of that "Thank You" track Rick. I really like it. I think the artist is Italian and that Sean Hampsey was involved in the project in some way. My memory could be wrong though.

Peter

I'm sure this was covered in a thread a few years back and seem to remember Dave Thorley mentioning that he'd played it out and giving the artist name that he'd used.  I'm sure that there was some doubt as to who the artist was though.

Social source share

Mick Holdsworth, on 15 Sept 2014 - 1:48 PM, said:Mick Holdsworth, on 15 Sept 2014 - 1:48 PM, said:

That track was also "hidden" on the vinyl LP too(well, unlisted on the label and cover, but just there as the last track on side 4)

I seem to remember the artist was "Sapphire"

Cheers

Mick

Shaun W, on 15 Sept 2014 - 1:50 PM, said:Shaun W, on 15 Sept 2014 - 1:50 PM, said:

I'm sure this was covered in a thread a few years back and seem to remember Dave Thorley mentioning that he'd played it out and giving the artist name that he'd used.  I'm sure that there was some doubt as to who the artist was though.

Well done Mick - Sapphire.

Hope you don't mind Rick - here goes

https://youtu.be/LZHvmy_MbBM

Sounds awesome with loads of volume and bass.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

the hidden cd track that im aware of is on an early goldmine cd " This is Northern Soul" track 2 plays Strange Neighbourhood which is not listed anywhere on the cd a great bonus. However it then throws all the track listings out for the rest of the cd which can  be a problem. Dont know if they are all like this?

Edited by tobytyke
Social source share

I thought it was actually Sepphire (e not a), but of course it could be neither of the above, in the same was that Allesure on the About Time comp CD wasn't by Allesure at all!

I'm off to get the YouTube link for my favourite "mystery track"........

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
Social source share

Not so much a hidden track, as simply just not credited on the CD cover, with a missing track number. It is credited in the booklet but that wouldn't help when looking at a new sealed CD copy back in the day!! Thanks to Mr. Searling if you kept a keen eye on Soul Sauce in B&S back then it didn't go unnoticed.

A real fave of mine, though not a 'dancer'....

Renee Knott - That's Where My Heart Is - Scalesof…:

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Peter

Hi Rick and Peter,

The artist is actually a young lady called Sepandiya (her real name) but 'Sapphire' was the name put about at the time of its eventual issue.

The track was produced and recorded some 10 years ago but ran into some difficulties when license couldn't be gained to use the original 'I'll Be Around' riff directly from the Spinners record. This slowed things down and the project started to lose momentum.

Then the artist had a few personal problems and failed to show at recording sessions etc. so the project ended up being canned.

I still have an album full of stuff from the sessions that will sadly never see the light of day.

Such a shame, she did have a lovely voice.

It was agreed that 'Thank You' should be put it on the comp, after I'd been playing it heavily for a few years, at Yarmouth etc. to try and get some extra use from it.

It certainly still works on the dancefloor and I still find myself dropping the original mix into my modern sets from time to time.

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Sean Hampsey, on 24 Sept 2014 - 2:30 PM, said:

Hi Rick and Peter,

The artist is actually a young lady called Sepandiya (her real name) but 'Sapphire' was the name put about at the time of its eventual issue.

The track was produced and recorded some 10 years ago but ran into some difficulties when license couldn't be gained to use the original 'I'll Be Around' riff directly from the Spinners record. This slowed things down and the project started to lose momentum.

Then the artist had a few personal problems and failed to show at recording sessions etc. so the project ended up being canned.

I still have an album full of stuff from the sessions that will sadly never see the light of day.

Such a shame, she did have a lovely voice.

It was agreed that 'Thank You' should be put it on the comp, after I'd been playing it heavily for a few years, at Yarmouth etc. to try and get some extra use from it.

It certainly still works on the dancefloor and I still find myself dropping the original mix into my modern sets from time to time.

Sean

Hi Sean

Good to hear from you. I hope you're well Sir. :hatsoff2:

Interesting stuff and shows my memory isn't completely up the duff! 

Peter

Social source share

the hidden cd track that im aware of is on an early goldmine cd " This is Northern Soul" track 2 plays Strange Neighbourhood which is not listed anywhere on the cd a great bonus. However it then throws all the track listings out for the rest of the cd which can  be a problem. Dont know if they are all like this?

It was listed on the first press but Ace had the rights so they removed it from the track listing and eventually from the cd

Social source share

I thought it was actually Sepphire (e not a), but of course it could be neither of the above, in the same was that Allesure on the About Time comp CD wasn't by Allesure at all!

I'm off to get the YouTube link for my favourite "mystery track"........

Cheers,

Mark R

Mark I remember kev Johnson having the original at armies mill aleshure cd the mix was awful compared it was more new then r&b mix to about time rec: I'm sure the artist was still called aleshure....could be wrong ...but im sure it did say her real name as well can see cd in my minds eye but can't recall small print etc

dave L

Social source share

Mark I remember kev Johnson having the original at armies mill aleshure cd the mix was awful compared it was more new then r&b mix to about time rec: I'm sure the artist was still called aleshure....could be wrong ...but im sure it did say her real name as well can see cd in my minds eye but can't recall small print etc

dave L

Joi Foxx.........

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have this and it was rectified on later issues.

I was offered £30 and the later issue for it around 12 years ago. I said no as the guy wasn't one to throw money around and he knew Tim Brown.

I am not sure if it is worth any more because of the extra track.

Marvin and Tammi's anthology/greatest hits from a few tears ago has a hidden intro to Ain't No Mountain, but I have forgotten the little trick you need to do to play it. I saw it on here some time ago?

Brian B

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!