The Dells - Your Song

Guest the fifer

Guest the fifer

Why on earth is it going for £50?

Not as if it rare there's been 4 or 5 copies up for sale on here alone in the last week or so.

I must have picked several dozen copies of it over the years at record fairs.

Puzzled of Horley

Social source share

Not as if it rare there's been 4 or 5 copies up for sale on here alone in the last week or so.

Puzzled of Horley

It regularly goes for that sort of money. 

How much would you sell me one of the many copies which you have had for? 

Peter

Social source share

Guest the fifer

It regularly goes for that sort of money. 

How much would you sell me one of the many copies which you have had for? 

Peter

I'm just amazed anyone would pay £50 for something so common. I've always sold the copies i've had but would be embarassed to ask £50 for the next one i find.

Social source share

Guest the fifer

Laura Lee has a good crack it at as well!  Four Tops on a 45 not that easy to turn up imo.

Adam

I've passed on quite a few 45s of it over the years on account of it being a bit rubbish  have seen far more 12" of it for sure.

Laura Lee's version ain't bad but not a patch on the Dells

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL  .... I must admit that I was surprised that it had gone up in price & £50 was a tad to much, the record does not fall into the rare soul bracket, it has always been available on a list somewhere, the record is like most records on CHESS labels had huge stock piles, with only a few that are truly rare, I think that was the feeling of the 1st entry of the thread, Don't You? :g: DAVE K

Social source share

Dells your song UK demos have sold for over £100 - well over and UK issues well north of £50.  £50 quid does seem about the going rate at the mo - it's what folks are prepared to pay. Some nutty suff going on - I posted a link to a UK Millie Jackson 'House for sale'  that went for £212 a few weeks ago on EBAY !!!! Makes the Dells at fifty quid look like the bargain of the century

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've never seen it listed for sale at £10 ever since it first got played out

People may have picked it up in the US at a low price with it being a major label and I've had a couple of cheap copies over the years that have been listed as the A side 'Passionate Breezes' but generally it gets listed around £50 and upwards

Lots of copies of the other release from the LP, 'All About The Paper' for less than £10, which I reckon is just as good as 'Your Song'

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I've never seen it listed for sale at £10 ever since it first got played out

If my memory serves me right I think I bought mine for a tenner at Clifton Hall - maybe a fiver, but that must be 30 years ago and it must have been a new release at the time.  It was a big spin at CH and other venues.

Peter

Social source share

Puzzled of Horley

Class in same category as Ace Spectrum-Dont send.......Overpriced common record.:-)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Puzzled of Horley

i bought loads of copies in a sale in Boots in St Helier round the time of release for nine pence each, so i guess it was near to charting around the time remember boots and Woolies only stocked the top 75....

Social source share

really? never knew...Carol Anderson c/p

That rings a bell mate - I think you're right. My memory tells me that the Dells was the first one to get spins - and the Laura Lee cover up was played after.

It is entirely possible however that my memory is telling me bollox!  :rofl:  The Dells is the version of an average soul record - imo of course, which had and has a place in time. Clifton Hall and Cleethorpes in particular I suspect. 

Peter

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!