60S Newies; Do People Want Them?

The reality is the majority want to hear the same old tunes that have filled the dance floors a thousand times , boring I know but its almost like some people want a predictable sound track for a night out .

Go to Refosoul forum and check out the most viewed posts for uploaded tracks. It's very telling. Here's the "Top 10" most popular in reverse order...

10 - Eddie Parker - Love you baby

09 - Jo Armstead - I feel an urge coming on

08 - Gloria Jones - Tainted love

07 - George Carrow - Angel baby

06 - Superlatives - I still love you

05 - Jimmy Ruffin - What becomes of the broken hearted

04 - Mr Floods Party - Compared to what

03 - The Platters - Washed ashore

02 - Pages - Heartaches and pain

01 - Sam & Kitty - I've got something good

Even here on Soul Source, oldies rule… 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest son of stan

Maybe a regular Sunday all dayer would be a good bet to showcase newies or records that appeal to a slightly older crowd. I started going to 100 Club about 30 years ago but haven't been much in recent years for job, health and relationship reasons..Staying out until 8am has not been an option for years...It's a big ask! So partly lost interest in buying records as 'the scene' doesn't really cater to me. Would love to hear the records you are all talking about though and sure felliw dropouts and their partners / friends would come along something slightly more convenient, less fanatical and more laid back..As well as the younger punters.Everyone spends Sunday afternoon in the pub anyway...

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Go to Refosoul forum and check out the most viewed posts for uploaded tracks. It's very telling. Here's the "Top 10" most popular in reverse order...

That is unbelievable   :ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy:

Social source share

they are all label info posts/views figures

not actual plays/downloads

eg 

Social source share

they are all label info posts/views figures

not actual plays/downloads

eg 

Understood, Mike. Hence my wording. Is there a means to find the most plays/downloads? 

At the end of the day, though, don't the number of views indicate what songs have been of most interest to Soul Source visitors regardless of whether it's a label scan or a song file? 

And beyond that, is there the possibility to use refosoul view stats as a sort of metric for what's "trending" and what's perennially popular?

Could it replace the cliched "top 500" list by being a more accurate reflection of what is currently hot and what oldies are still doing the business?

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

Understood, Mike. Hence my wording. Is there a means to find the most plays/downloads? 

At the end of the day, though, don't the the number of views indicate what songs have been of most interest to Soul Source visitors regardless of whether it's a label scan or a song file? 

And beyond that, isn't there the possibility to use refosoul view stats as a sort of metric for what's "trending" and what's perennially popular?

to be honest Russell

refosoul doesn't get used that much nowadays for any of the above

you can use it as a research tool as with the live search you can quickly get to current ebay/ popsike/forum info etc etc info off it

but not many do

Social source share

to be honest Russell

refosoul doesn't get used that much nowadays for any of the above

you can use it as a research tool as with the live search you can quickly get to current ebay/ popsike/forum info etc etc info off it

but not many do

Hmm, that's what I vaguely thought. Thanks for confirming.

I added four unreleased/acetate tracks recently and none have had any sort of interest as the likes of classics such as Bobby Freeman's "Swim". Can't believe that no one's interested in unreleased track by Nat Hall, Major Lance or whoever!

My YouTube channel stats also show that while the forum list indicates multiple views, the reality is that people click on the refosoul page but don't click through and listen to the actual sound file.

I'd like to add all my YouTube "unreleased/acetate" clips to refosoul for the sake of making them more available (especially in light of Ady's "no one wants newies" thread), but at the moment it hardly seems worth the effort. Any suggestions as to how to make them more accessible or interesting to Soul Source members?

Social source share

Hmm, that's what I vaguely thought. Thanks for confirming.

I added four unreleased/acetate tracks recently and none have had any sort of interest as the likes of classics such as Bobby Freeman's "Swim". Can't believe that no one's interested in unreleased track by Nat Hall, Major Lance or whoever!

My YouTube channel stats also show that while the forum list indicates multiple views, the reality is that people click on the refosoul page but don't click through and listen to the actual sound file.

I'd like to add all my YouTube "unreleased/acetate" clips to refosoul for the sake of making them more available (especially in light of Ady's "no one wants newies" thread), but at the moment it hardly seems worth the effort. Any suggestions as to how to make them more accessible or interesting to Soul Source members?

the refosoul forum at current times is more of an announcement forum for the refosoul feature rather than a discussion based one

shouldn't really use the forum views as a guide as some of the forum posts you mention are from the likes of 2008 originally 

best place for discussion on the tracks would be via new threads in the "box" forum

the refosoul feature is nowadays more of a reference tool  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was in a store today and they were playing the new Ace CD of Brent/Time/Shad recordings...the unissued tracks on that will prick a few ears up!

Loving the Jeannie Trevor and June Jackson tunes...could've been recorded with the 100 Club in mind! :yes:

I'm really getting back into that stuff at the moment.

Good for you...the prices for the big production NYC numbers have gone down as they're currently not in vogue...but my they sound soooo right down the hallowed stairs. Don't hold back Joel...get that movement going and drop that wishy washy funky stuff!

:thumbup:

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

! Just thought of another one that i still like to play /hear  is the Jan Jones - cut loose ... absolutely fantastic ! keep em coming even if it costs the company money , let the good selling alternative music styles finance the soul stuff the dedicated niter/soul public deserves and have earned the right to have the pleasure of Kent's and other modern day reissue logos finds. 

Do you mean Jeanette Jones - Cut loose,  fabulous track, would I be right in thinking this was originally spun by Ian Clark on Acetate? seem to remember this being discussed ages ago.. I dont go to many soul do's, but add my name to the 'Hell yes, we want em!' camp...

brilliant music, all of it...

Mal:_)

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

All I can say, your missing out on some great uptempo funky dancers, but hey ho that's your choice

Nah Tim i'm not just don't want to hear them at the 100 club ... but if I did I know where to go in my record collection to find them

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!