If You Could Change One Thing About The Scene?

• Replies 102
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

If you could change one thing about the scene what would it be?

I would insist on a ceasfire between rival promoters and record dealers. The level of acrimony that exists can be a major turn off for die-hards never mind new blood.

What one thing would you change?

:( Stop all the moanin' & bitchin' & JUST GET ON WITH IT, COS ONE DAY OUR SCENE AINT GONNA BE THERE !!.then what playing dominoes down t' club,come on people enjoy it :)

Social source share

If you could change one thing about the scene what would it be?

I would insist on a ceasfire between rival promoters and record dealers. The level of acrimony that exists can be a major turn off for die-hards never mind new blood.

What one thing would you change?

no alcohol......................... :( ,no chance they`re then :)

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

i would like to see an end to the abundance of crap soul nights.

To enable my wish i would enforce the following...

i would like all wannabe promoters forced to apply for a licence prior to promoting an event. this board would consider location and music policy amongst other things.

We would then see less events, higher attendances and hopefully improved set lists by the dj's.

Shane

ps. can we ban baggies and vests too?

:)

Social source share

i would like all wannabe promoters forced to apply for a licence prior to promoting an event. this board would consider location and music policy amongst other things.

We would then see less events, higher attendances and hopefully improved set lists by the dj's.

Shane

:(

Do you fancy standing in Scarborough, Shane?

You'd get my vote :)

Godz

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Ban Modern. :)

not really ..

How about make all venues within a 50 mile radius of my house .. :(

Well you never said they had to be reallistic. :)

i reckon we would still only see you every 6 weeks :(

Shane

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Shane

you read my on the scene article then , word for word 'cept i used the term orwellian panel lololol :(

Social source share

no alcohol......................... :( ,no chance they`re then :)

I mean allnighter`s,dont give a stuff!!,about the rest,soul nights, alldayers etc......i am entitled to my opinion,just think if we want to get youths on the N/Soul scene,i think its the only way,when i was a youth,12-13ish i was going to allnighters regurely,and traveling all over,thats what attracted me,cause adults got drunk,allnighters should be diffrant,now they`re in the mainstream,just like the rest.................besides part of the fun,was having the meet-up at a warm-up,or just a boozer even,then getting to the nighter where the serious stuff starts,no bumbing in to people just there for the booze and nothing else,if its not for sale,they will not be interested,and go to one of the millions of clubs that cater for them,dancing might just come bakc in style,and if you slip over and break your arm,tuff shite........ :) Ken

Social source share

Shane

Hi Shane :( What constitutes a "crap soul night" then ATB Steve

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

you read my on the scene article then , word for word 'cept i used the term orwellian panel lololol :)

i didnt mate but i like the sound of it :(

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Hi Shane :( What constitutes a "crap soul night" then ATB Steve

endless oldies, badly promoted, cd's/bootlegs, pissed up locals in baggies that go home at half 12, empty dancefloors to anything that wasnt played at wigan - you know the score :(:):)

these events are usually on the same night as a quality event and probably only 4 miles away

my opinions of course :(

Shane

Social source share

Take your pick --

FCUKIN HOLDALLS AT SOULNIGHTS ......................WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU WANNA GET CHANGED IN A COUPLE OF HOURS)

BAR TOWELS STUFFED DOWN THE BELT OF BAGGIES.

BAGGIES.

INFACT ANY RETRO CLOTHING TO DO WITH THE SCENE.

AAAAAAAGH

Social source share

endless oldies, badly promoted, cd's/bootlegs, pissed up locals in baggies that go home at half 12, empty dancefloors to anything that wasnt played at wigan - you know the score :(:):(

these events are usually on the same night as a quality event and probably only 4 miles away

my opinions of course :)

Shane

Hi Shane :( you NAILED that to the mast :( Totally agree ..but the world of "Yesteryear" still prevails...IMHO ATB steve
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Take your pick --

BAGGIES.

AAAAAAAGH

Ooooh Mak, you're a brave man mucker. You'd better not venture out in the East Mids or you'll be slapped across the tush with a sweaty polyveldt.

One thing I'd like to change, the significant lack of young, keen, passionate nighter goers with a hunger for lesser played sounds. Not too much to ask is it :(:)

Social source share

I would only allow promoters to have one nighter and/or soul night ... instead of taking up the whole country with their nights that way other promoters wouldn't have to keep checking if any other nights were on in their vicinity that clashed :)

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

Take your pick --

FCUKIN HOLDALLS AT SOULNIGHTS ......................WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU WANNA GET CHANGED IN A COUPLE OF HOURS)

BAGGIES.

AAAAAAAGH

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH THE BAR TOWELS :thumbsup:

Social source share

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH THE BAR TOWELS :thumbsup:

They're a perfect size for mopping our sweaty faces though... I'm not taking one of my best towels :wicked:

Social source share

One thing I'd like to change, the significant lack of young, keen, passionate nighter goers with a hunger for lesser played sounds. Not too much to ask is it :wicked::thumbsup:

:lol:

Social source share

:wicked:

the only one little thing that really gets up my nose (besides the drugs aspect) is promoters who insist on dictating a music style!! mainly the one HE or SHE likes, then why the f&*k doesn't HE or SHE sit in solitude trying to squeeze an anal retentive 'one' out in HIS or HER toilet with an iPod in the ears and let the paying public decide what variety of northern they wish to hear. sorry, went on a bit.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

the only one little thing that really gets up my nose (besides the drugs aspect) is promoters who insist on dictating a music style!! mainly the one HE or SHE likes, then why the f&*k doesn't HE or SHE sit in solitude trying to squeeze an anal retentive 'one' out in HIS or HER toilet with an iPod in the ears and let the paying public decide what variety of northern they wish to hear. sorry, went on a bit.

:thumbsup:

Because with out these promoters there would be a very angry crowd of enthusiastic soul folk who are keenon keeping the ideals of the northern scene going, thus falling flat on its arse and becoming a stale teddy boy scene :wicked:

Social source share

Because with out these promoters there would be a very angry crowd of enthusiastic soul folk who are keenon keeping the ideals of the northern scene going, thus falling flat on its arse and becoming a stale teddy boy scene :wicked:

Don't forget the "blinkers" :thumbsup:

Social source share

How about zero tolerance to ego of any kind. Might be a good thing for some poor souls ..

Oi!!,Simsy leave my Ego(s) alone,got fukc all else going for me.......... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Shane

:D

Why would you want that? You or I may not like those type of events but why deny the pleasure of people who do..... just don't go mate! (Although from what I hear you don't get to many events anyway ) :lol:

So as well as the ever watchful soul police, you now want promoters to apply to what... a ministry of soul? Only you couldn't call it that, it would have to be something like the Soulful Affairs Unit or DESSA or somethinglike that. I guess you'd be keen to head this quango? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? :wicked:

I wouldn't ban anything... well apart from maybe young right-wing soulies who want to dictate their tastes to others. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Because with out these promoters there would be a very angry crowd of enthusiastic soul folk who are keenon keeping the ideals of the northern scene going, thus falling flat on its arse and becoming a stale teddy boy scene :thumbsup:

Most of it is now, but thats the area of the scene that gets the most support :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Dante

Mmmh...

Probably I'll move the venues, record stores, dealers to Mexico :shhh:

Seriously...

I think i can't make a really good opinion about this subject becasue im not "in" the UK scene, but I think that the quality = rarity perception is a reall bad thing for the scene. Of course it's a rare soul scene, but I think that there should be more "soul" and less "rare"...

Cheers

Dante

Social source share

Guest hammy

Nostalgia. It's turned me off the whole thing this last few months - be it nostalgia for the 70s, the 80s, it drives me up the wall.... the only venue that matters is the next one you're attending. For me, it either keeps looking forward, or it dies.

Hammy

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Why would you want that? You or I may not like those type of events but why deny the pleasure of people who do..... just don't go mate! (Although from what I hear you don't get to many events anyway ) :D

So as well as the ever watchful soul police, you now want promoters to apply to what... a ministry of soul? Only you couldn't call it that, it would have to be something like the Soulful Affairs Unit or DESSA or somethinglike that. I guess you'd be keen to head this quango? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? :D

I wouldn't ban anything... well apart from maybe young right-wing soulies who want to dictate their tastes to others. :shhh:

blimey dave! is it a bad year for the carrots or what? :D

it was meant a little tongue in cheek but my sentiments stand strong. i would like to see less events and more consideraton for other events in the area. who can disagree with that?

Shane

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I wouldn't change so much apart from why use Talcum powder. That always makes me almost slip over so if we ban it i can't fall flat on my face.

Social source share

I wouldn't change so much apart from why use Talcum powder. That always makes me almost slip over so if we ban it i can't fall flat on my face.

Just think about the fantastic action your inner thighs experience when you correct your 'almost' slip overs :shhh:

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

I'd make it compulsory for Gentlemen to wear neckties and pocket squares between September and May.

And enforce a complete ban on quiffs.

In fact...

If I ruled the world,

Every tune would have

An adundance of strings

Every heart would have

A soul song to sing

And we'd all know the joy

An allnighter can bring.

If I ruled the world

Every man would be

A proper smart Mod

We'd all worship

Marvin as God

And cocaine would be

Sanctioned by Plod.

My world would be

A beautiful place

All the birds would have

A Twiggy-like face

All shareholders would be

Making a loss

And Margaret Hey would be

Kev Roberts' Boss.

Edited by Andy BB
Social source share

Guest soul_hull

Take your pick --

BAGGIES.

AAAAAAAGH

oh, i couldn't agree more. what people need are the latest designs, in the most up to date colours and styles. :shhh:

i'd like see an initiative to get more young people involved. perhaps big nights should encourage younger djs in the warm-up slot maybe? or a cheaper ticket policy for youngsters?? free entry to under-18s at allnighters?? something like that. don't quite know what - but i DO know that the acid jazz/funk revival of the 90's means that plenty of hip youngsters still like black retro music.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert