Never Had It So Good

Shouldn't we TRY and embrace it all, after all it's OUR music and it's all basically Oldies, we now have a vast catalogue  of music Old and Newer to enjoy, remember there's always been sh*te along the way but I must say that most of the Old stuff is far superior to the newer stuff but there are a lot of exceptions and I'd frequent more Oldies venues if I thought I'd get more than the Top 100 (Max). My wouldn't it be a boring place if we all enjoyed the same things, except R&B because nobody really likes that. :wicked:  :shhh: 

Diversify or Die,

Spot.  :shades: 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

"l call it the london sound   and for me   it,s generally too insipid.....l can always tell when one of these type of dj,s are on.....the music dips    there ya go!"

Maybe best to stay up north in that case as it's all double dip down here....? :)

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

As far as the original posters post......l fall somewhere between  neil and pete.......these funk edged sets would sound a whole heap better if they threaded through some great 60.s dance tunes......as me old mate Stuart Raith put it......"these sets need to be punctuated throughout with 4 beats to the bar 60,s" ......when the whole set is is hard edged they get a bit boring........there is also a difference between the sounds played up north and the sounds played darn sarf......l call it the london sound   and for me   it,s generally too insipid.....l can always tell when one of these type of dj,s are on.....the music dips    there ya go!

Innn one,as they used to say on Bullseye.The Funk has got to have a northern appeal,hard  edged for niter folks,less so for dayer's and chill's.

North vs South - don't go down that route Terry,there's some softies who know how to play it hard.!!! :lol:

We've never had it so good.Oldies that make you hair stand on end,rarieties that can take you back 10,15 years that have nowt to do with Wigan.Crate diggers and tune finders all scrapping to turn up the goods.Why? Cos we love it.Still.

Just when you think you've heard it all along comes another tune you love.

All the best....Victor Meldrew. :elvis:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I think it’s a shame that anyone would only travel to see 2 or 3 D.J’s out of so many - I would imagine Butch, Andy Dyson, and Kitch would all agree that there are other D.J’s that add something positive to a night.

I remember an advert in Black Echoes that simply said…..NEXT BLACKBURN OCTOBER 11TH…..It didn’t mention any of the D.J’s, so the said promoter must have had the punters trust.

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - Ok, maybe Butch wouldn't!  :D 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I think it’s a shame that anyone would only travel to see 2 or 3 D.J’s out of so many - I would imagine Butch, Andy Dyson, and Kitch would all agree that there are other D.J’s that add something positive to a night.

I remember an advert in Black Echoes that simply said…..NEXT BLACKBURN OCTOBER 11TH…..It didn’t mention any of the D.J’s, so the said promoter must have had the punters trust.

I used to travel all over just to listen to different Dj's who I could book for my nighter. If they got me up dancing, I booked them, if not I didn't.

If only some other promoters had the balls to do that instead of letting anyone do a spot if they bring a few punters with them. Or to keep their mates happy.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There weren't that many Dj's about then Len, and everyone knew who was a regular. People were still young enough to dance back then.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Point is steve..it never registered on my radar at all had to get someone to tell me....and l like to think l actually listen when i,m out.....so whats going on there?....l dunno.........pervis lee......not saying it,s the greatest record,but boom first time l heard it   "whats this?".....probably why a lot of tunes that get played out...shouldn,t be  lol   atb  t

Like I said mate you need your ears washing out :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I know my past post about birds knocking about is tongue in cheek however, when the people who are arguing about keeping certain structures in this scene first started going out, I'm sure the first thing on their mind wasn't about appeasing an older generations beliefs. Surely just respecting it and being open to a new dialogue

Edited by The Milk Man
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Oh Phil what a mistake putting that up, I'm saying nowt but  there's been a long and bitter debate about Northern Soul Girl dancing anywhere in the entire world where someone happens to have a Box Brownie or similar and lets be right most lasses of 20 year old or similar look fit to us old farts. :shhh:  :facepalm: 

Spot. :shades: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Why can't this be a forum full of fit young birds quarrelling as to how far they would travel to hear certain sounds, make it so much more interesting than the actual reality ;)

I remember them. Cant remember what to do with em though.Everything is better than reality.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

"l call it the london sound   and for me   it,s generally too insipid.....l can always tell when one of these type of dj,s are on.....the music dips    there ya go!"

Maybe best to stay up north in that case as it's all double dip down here....? :)

Thats exactly what l do......you don,t see me at the 100 or va va room....because the music    err umm

Social source share

Thats exactly what l do......you don,t see me at the 100 or va va room....because the music    err umm

I'm convinced you are missing out mate.......and that's where we agree to disagree :D

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Why can't this be a forum full of fit young birds quarrelling as to how far they would travel to hear certain sounds, make it so much more interesting than the actual reality ;)

It is, its fit young birds, pretending to be grumpy bald old men, grooming eligible young Londoners like you and the boys. (Rich Buckley now excluded obviously)

Quinvy is actually a 20 year old Halle Berre lookalike (looking like Halle when she was 20) with bigger tits trying to lure you behind the bike sheds for some abuse.

You can never be too trusting on this world web thing you know.....

• Helpful 3
Social source share

It is, its fit young birds, pretending to be grumpy bald old men, grooming eligible young Londoners like you and the boys. (Rich Buckley now excluded obviously)

Quinvy is actually a 20 year old Halle Berre lookalike (looking like Halle when she was 20) with bigger tits trying to lure you behind the bike sheds for some abuse.

You can never be too trusting on this world web thing you know.....

:ohmy:   :huh:   :no:   :rolleyes:

Social source share

It's like the stuff that gets radio play. People don't seek those records out, they just hear them in the background of their lives and before they know it they are hooked.

Here's an interesting [i hope] anecdote. A few years ago James Trouble was a guest at Lifeline. This is advertised as the number one rare soul event in the country, with the countries finest Dj's. Their words not mine.

So when James goes on he's got the countries rare soul connoisseurs to get on the dance floor.

So he plays: Joe Hicks - Don't it Make You Feel Funky, Van Dykes - Save my Love For a Rainy Day and Tomangoes - I Really Love You.

The floor was rammed. :lol: 

People who go out for a dance and have had a bit of something, aren't gonna argue the toss what's being played, so long as it's got a beat.  

As a promoter or Dj, you are deciding what people will dance to, not the other way round.

What a strange theory. Most people - me included- complain that it's a struggle to get folks to dance to anything but biggies and classics, now you're suggesting that people will dance to anything. Which is it!?

I think the former is the scene that most djs would recognise.

and you're being a bit condescending to the punters on the scene.

Cant speak for anyone else, but I once spent 5 years completely off my tits and never danced to a track that I didn't love.

Pervis lee is nice track, I like it and I've heard thousands of songs, not just what djs play when I'm at dos.

.]

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What a strange theory. Most people - me included- complain that it's a struggle to get folks to dance to anything but biggies and classics, now you're suggesting that people will dance to anything. Which is it!?

I think the former is the scene that most djs would recognise.

and you're being a bit condescending to the punters on the scene.

Cant speak for anyone else, but I once spent 5 years completely off my tits and never danced to a track that I didn't love.

Pervis lee is nice track, I like it and I've heard thousands of songs, not just what djs play when I'm at dos.

.]

First of all, if you were off your tits, how do you know what you were dancing to?

Secondly, if people ram the floor to dance to tracks like Pervis Lee, then they aren't dancing to biggies or classics. And they will obviously dance to anything.  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

which yet again brings me back to the vinyl thing you Djs & collecters bang on about let's keep it vinyl but then 99% of Dj's out there haven't got the records  so all Joe public gets is what you Djs have got 

Who would play the records, if not the DJ....confused.

What I mean is a vast majority of djs could not have ,own or carry the Records to play to there public i.e a vast majority of the oldies that aren't played to day is becourse the Dj's of today haven't got them to play on vynil so or limited to what they can play ,and so are in search of new stuff to play

I don't care what a tune is played on ,eg vynil .C.d .mp3 .As long as its played .As I've said before I feel alot of people being attracted to the scene need to hear the old stuff as well as the stuff being put out today

Edited by richo991
Social source share

which yet again brings me back to the vinyl thing you Djs & collecters bang on about let's keep it vinyl but then 99% of Dj's out there haven't got the records so all Joe public gets is what you Djs have got

Who would play the records, if not the DJ....confused.

What I mean is a vast majority of djs could not have ,own or carry the Records to play to there public i.e a vast majority of the oldies that aren't played to day is becourse the Dj's of today haven't got them to play on vynil so or limited to what they can play ,and so are in search of new stuff to play

Can I have some of what you take in a morning please :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

get yourself down the 100 in November ya grumpy git. Sure Danny , John or myself will get you a pint. !!

could do...as it finishes at 2   be home by 3  wey hey

Social source share

First of all, if you were off your tits, how do you know what you were dancing to?

Secondly, if people ram the floor to dance to tracks like Pervis Lee, then they aren't dancing to biggies or classics. And they will obviously dance to anything.  :D

I have heard whispered, that a few disco biscuits washed down with a small sherry,enhances the audible  pleasure.

Tits off,tits on.? That is the question.

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Pervis does do the biz, last time I played it had a full floor, there is something to be said about hearing a tune on a quality sound system, rather than a you tube clip on a laptop, there are thousands of great tunes out there and still some still to be found I hope.

Like what you like, not what others tell you to like, I say :)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Terry, Burnley is once again rammed with people ENJOYING tunes which are not 4 beats to the bar, many of which have been played south of Lancashire at 100 Club, Lifeline and Soul Funktion for example.

Ernie, Kev H is Holmes not Higham (Rachel's intended).

If you wanna know, just go.   

Edited by johnmcc
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm not sure the quality of 'new' stuff is there.  Sorry I'm not sure the quantity of quality new stuff is there like it was.

Maybe I'm going to the wrong places but there have been less than a dozen new things that have got me excited in the last couple of years.  Yes there's been a lot of reactivated stuff but for me they are 'oldies'.  Genuine 'newies' are very few and very far between.

I spend time I used to spend on here, searching for new stuff and its neigh on impossible to find.  So all too often you have to plump for a forgotten 'oldie' in the hope that enough of the audience don't know it and still think it is good enough.  It may be a close second best but it's still second best IMHO.

Social source share

I have to confess, i don't know everything (who does?) So, if i go to a venue and hear a 60's tune iv'e never heard before does that make it a "newie" or

an "oldie"? How do you define one from the other and who decides if it's well known, semi-known or un-known?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Terry, Burnley is once again rammed with people ENJOYING tunes which are not 4 beats to the bar, many of which have been played south of Lancashire at 100 Club, Lifeline and Soul Funktion for example.

Ernie, Kev H is Holmes not Higham (Rachel's intended).

If you wanna know, just go.   

Never mentioned burnley john.........but whilst you,re at it    some of the fellas (guests) that dj, do play for me anyway to much hard edged stuff.....as l said if they were to punctuate their sets throughout with 4 beats to the bar good dancers from the past....they would certainly get my vote.....the london fellas set was  that insipid sound which suits london better.........and soulfunktion plays a different sound which l love ......

Social source share

I have to confess, i don't know everything (who does?) So, if i go to a venue and hear a 60's tune iv'e never heard before does that make it a "newie" or

an "oldie"? How do you define one from the other and who decides if it's well known, semi-known or un-known?

That's the $64,000 question.

Obviously if I know it its known (to me) semi known is like semi pregnant (WTF).  So not one decides you either know it or you don't.  QED

When someone requests some 'oldies' I play 'oldies' when I know what they are asking for is 'their oldies' and of course I have no idea what they consider oldies in the first place.  Particularly if they only went to 'X' venue and for 6 months and then dropped off the scene for XX years.

One of my favourite irregular venues at the moment has a policy to play stuff from the Morecambe, Shotts, TOTW era. These are oldies too its just some people don't know them that's all.  I doubt the promoters or DJ would thank you for calling their venue an 'Oldies' venue.  The term itself is somewhat tarnished. 

If DJing was simple every one would be doing it.........................ohh hang on a minute.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!