Never Had It So Good

Northern Soul music suits microphone use IMHO. More contemporary/music suited to mixing not necessarily so.

Having said that, as an old soul boy, one of my biggest criticisms of house music is not being informed what the record is......because for me it's about great records and getting hold of them, not getting off my tits and dancing regardless of what I'm dancing to! That's an aside.

But back to the point, an example I've used before......Guy Hennigan introducing 60's newies.......all about the delivery suiting the in your face music you are pushing and believe in. It drives it home even if only subconsciously. ....you probably don't even realise it!

NS is suited to old fashion traditional DJ'ing methods for me......

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Actually Pete it's about being more open minded and allowing yourself to enjoy the music and artistry of singers and musicians who moved on with the current trends of their time and peers.

If they didn't there wouldn't be any progression and the whole thing would stagnate just as the Rare Soul / Northern Soul (delete as appropriate) scene would too.

If you look at the Rockabilly scene that has almost came to the end of it's life because there was little acceptance for anything else and the scene has little place to go now. Coupled with the age problem it has not long left I don't believe.

Our scene....and all it's sub genres has still a healthy amount of blood and life left in it's veins.

It will ultimately go the way of dodo but the "newies" will sustain that life and should be welcomed not dismissed.

Varity is the spice of life.... :thumbsup:

Personally I prefer oldies/R/B  but then there are the odd moden tracks I like But ony if its danceable some of the stuff out there today is sit and listen to stuff not what I want to hear when I'm out

Social source share

Personally I prefer oldies/R/B  but then there are the odd moden tracks I like But ony if its danceable some of the stuff out there today is sit and listen to stuff not what I want to hear when I'm out

Todays stuff?.... At venues not everybody dances, thats why they provide chairs, people that don't or can't dance do still love the music :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Todays stuff?.... At venues not everybody dances, thats why they provide chairs, people that don't or can't dance do still love the music :)

They've all ways had chairs at the venue's I've been to but that dosen't meen you have to take root LOL unless like yourself your a Geriatric LOL :sleep3:

Edited by richo991
Social source share

That lot against

Eddie Daye

Don Gardner

Lou Ragland

Marvelous Ray

The Sheppards

Jimmy Robins

The Magnetics

The Masqueraders

or 20,000 other records from the past...never in a million years

" IN MY OPINION "

I can see where you're coming from Pete ,these are the cream, as for Eddie Daye ,how can it be in the top 500 ,I love it it ,but I can't remember hearing it out for donkey's years ,guessing it because it's on Shrine and is a bit pricey

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

Edited by Bazza
Social source share

Northern Soul music suits microphone use IMHO. More contemporary/music suited to mixing not necessarily so.

Having said that, as an old soul boy, one of my biggest criticisms of house music is not being informed what the record is......because for me it's about great records and getting hold of them, not getting off my tits and dancing regardless of what I'm dancing to! That's an aside.

But back to the point, an example I've used before......Guy Hennigan introducing 60's newies.......all about the delivery suiting the in your face music you are pushing and believe in. It drives it home even if only subconsciously. ....you probably don't even realise it!

NS is suited to old fashion traditional DJ'ing methods for me......

Cheers,

Mark R

'Wait for the beat'...ironically that will go over the heads of many these days....we need to get the black glove out again !.

Best Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Your at the wrong venues then mate....

Best Russ

If they exist Russ. I often hear......."some of the stuff out there today is sit and listen to stuff".......But I don't actually know if that's true, if 'out there' means it is played at venues. I think it is just a descriptive of someone else's taste by someone with different taste.

Surely there isn't a venue / or D.J that plays stuff that can't be danced to (Yes I know, apart from myself) :wink: 

I personally detest some (most) of the R 'n' B stuff that's played out there, and think it does nothing for the atmosphere of a place. But I can't argue the fact others do (and dance to it.), so I can't say that is 'sit and listen to stuff' - It's just not my taste (the correct taste) :D   

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Sir, if you are a member of the oldies brigade then yes, you will agree with Pete but i have had hundreds of PM's agreeing with me :)

My friend I appreciate both quality oldies and newies, but i'm afraid that the Pervis Lee track does not compare with any of the tracks Pete mentioned, at its best it is mediocre and quite uninspiring and yes some may think otherwise, but please remember todays oldies were yesterdays newies and to be frank Imo the quality then was much better than those of today :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My friend I appreciate both quality oldies and newies, but i'm afraid that the Pervis Lee track does not compare with any of the tracks Pete mentioned, at its best it is mediocre and quite uninspiring and yes some may think otherwise, but please remember todays oldies were yesterdays newies and to be frank Imo the quality then was much better than those of today :)

Have you heard Pervis Lee played out?Sound the dogs dangly bits when I have,one of my fave Wigan tunes is Delites-Lover which is a tune that still blows me away but listen to it at home & it's shite..........some tunes you have to get the full experience of a full dancefloor at a venue to appreciate them??

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It's been a privilege to have had the opportunity to DJ at some significant clubs in recent times. Be it Soul focused or Northern Soul venues, I'd imagine we all have an affiliation to the genres of music being offered.

I'll reiterate the points that I announced on the mic at Burnley & Stoke, it was a pleasure and honour to share my collection alongside the country's most acclaimed and respected DJs and that I hope you enjoy what you hear. The occasional dedication to individual(s) was dropped here and there and a sign off to the next DJ was given. Apart from that I don't feel as if me rambling on the mic gives any added feature to my set (novelty yes, and this has been personally proved before!). Don't get me wrong, I appreciate certain spiels by certain DJs where the use of the mic provides momentum to a set, but personally it's not something that I'm interested to do.I'd rather educate people about the tunes on a radio show or similar than have them listen to me half cut at a night out.

A lack of confidence, I wouldn't like to think so, a consideration for the dancers, yes. To have the cap doffed after by certain individuals that I have respected for a long time is very humbling.

Hope to see you all again very soon!

Very eloquently put my friend....now sell me some rekkids !

See ya at Va Va Voom in October for another corker !.

Russ

Social source share

Hi. Can you be sincerely honest and say yes or no if you have heard Pervis out through big venue speakers?

I respect your view that quality was better back in the day, well i lived through "back in the day" and have

continued to the present day and my opinion differs to yours, and thats it really..... opinions we all have.

The tracks Pete lists are typical Northern Soul..... Pervis stands differently to a lot of Soul folk :)

Social source share

'Wait for the beat'...ironically that will go over the heads of many these days....we need to get the black glove out again !.

Best Russ

Or " if you don't dance to this you'll be sent home to bed with lots of supper" and the legendary "they'll be talking about this in Parliament" Guy could rattle them out in proper style.

Social source share

There's still a few fantastic newies out there that you don't often get to hear due to being one offs or cover ups, three of Kitch's for example are blinding: Les Chansonettes C/U, That Alice Clark tune (unissued?) and a recent one is his Delegates Of Soul Cover up - all cracking Northern. That Blue eyed tune, Natural Man that Dean Anderson's playing rocked Va Va Voom a few weeks ago too.

Not a newie I know but you only get to hear it when Butch can be arsed so will be new to the majority is his Mighty Lovers C/U. Now that record goes toe to toe with any record from any era. 

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Hi. Can you be sincerely honest and say yes or no if you have heard Pervis out through big venue speakers?

I respect your view that quality was better back in the day, well i lived through "back in the day" and have

continued to the present day and my opinion differs to yours, and thats it really..... opinions we all have.

The tracks Pete lists are typical Northern Soul..... Pervis stands differently to a lot of Soul folk :)

It's out and out R&B and very monotonous.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Your at the wrong venues then mate....

Best Russ

with all respect Russ I've been to some old'es nights where a dj plays that middle of road 60's stuff that for me all sounds the same & like wise modern nights the same for me 90% of it is not for me but may be it float's your boat!

I still think theres alot of older stuff out there that dosn't get enough airtime which yet again brings me back to the vinyl thing you Djs & collecters bang on about let's keep it vinyl but then 99% of Dj's out there haven't got the records  so all Joe public gets is what you Djs have got 

AhhhhThat feels better .

Best Richo.

Edited by richo991
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

‘Pervis Lee - You Don't Care’ - is ‘ok’ (better if ya ‘in the zone’) But......“over a big sound system”….don't transform a record into something else - I can recognise a good record over the phone!

Each to his own though :wink:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

There's still a few fantastic newies out there that you don't often get to hear due to being one offs or cover ups, three of Kitch's for example are blinding: Les Chansonettes C/U, That Alice Clark tune (unissued?) and a recent one is his Delegates Of Soul Cover up - all cracking Northern. That Blue eyed tune, Natural Man that Dean Anderson's playing rocked Va Va Voom a few weeks ago too.

Not a newie I know but you only get to hear it when Butch can be arsed so will be new to the majority is his Mighty Lovers C/U. Now that record goes toe to toe with any record from any era. 

Heres a thought...........when l first heard pervis lee...l thought l like this,it registered straight away,without anyone telling me ect.  I had to ask someone in the end to tell me when Butch played his mighty lovers thing because lt was unremarkable,to me and still is......just like the awful version of the belairs and the mediocre just like the weather.....the crook his little finger version is also a bit  "so what"....and cressa watson is favoured over robert thomas because of rarity not because it,s any better a record. I believe that some dj,s are held in such esteem that  others out there will rave over tunes just because that dj plays em...........rather like    "i,ll tell ya whats good and whats not   because   l say so.......not levelling this at you (byrney) or anyone else particularly.......it,s just the feeling l get when reading posts and talking out and about.

thought for the day..........if you hear a record and it don,t register.......then it,s not that good to you.......don,t let people tell ya whats good

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

‘Pervis Lee - You Don't Care’ - is ‘ok’ (better if ya ‘in the zone’) But......“over a big sound system”….don't transform a record into something else - I can recognise a good record over the phone!

Each to his own though :wink:

All the best,

Thats because what you like   should only be played over a phone  lol :D

Social source share

Need to alter your profile m8 age 86 to me  mean 's you need a seat lol

Listen pal, no need to start getting personal, i go to a bootcamp 3 times a week, i play 5 a side and i mountain bike around, generally fit & healthy,

i dance at nighters and soul nights, i am unconcerned about you so please leave the pettiness out.... thanks

Social source share

Heres a thought...........when l first heard pervis lee...l thought l like this,it registered straight away,without anyone telling me ect.  I had to ask someone in the end to tell me when Butch played his mighty lovers thing because lt was unremarkable,to me and still is......just like the awful version of the belairs and the mediocre just like the weather.....the crook his little finger version is also a bit  "so what"....and cressa watson is favoured over robert thomas because of rarity not because it,s any better a record. I believe that some dj,s are held in such esteem that  others out there will rave over tunes just because that dj plays em...........rather like    "i,ll tell ya whats good and whats not   because   l say so.......not levelling this at you (byrney) or anyone else particularly.......it,s just the feeling l get when reading posts and talking out and about.

thought for the day..........if you hear a record and it don,t register.......then it,s not that good to you.......don,t let people tell ya whats good

Hi Tezzward,it a called the "Marks out of Ten" system - anything less than a 8,forget it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Heres a thought...........when l first heard pervis lee...l thought l like this,it registered straight away,without anyone telling me ect. I had to ask someone in the end to tell me when Butch played his mighty lovers thing because lt was unremarkable,to me and still is......just like the awful version of the belairs and the mediocre just like the weather.....the crook his little finger version is also a bit "so what"....and cressa watson is favoured over robert thomas because of rarity not because it,s any better a record. I believe that some dj,s are held in such esteem that others out there will rave over tunes just because that dj plays em...........rather like "i,ll tell ya whats good and whats not because l say so.......not levelling this at you (byrney) or anyone else particularly.......it,s just the feeling l get when reading posts and talking out and about.

No Emperors new clothes for me on the Mighty Lovers mate - first hearing was a WTF moment. All about personal taste but for me it has drama from the counted intro all thecway through and such a great record to dance to. Id term it as utterly remarkable but if we all liked the same stuff life would be a drag.

Take your point though it should be about the record and not the halo effect of the dj. Hopefully most of us are old enough to see through that :)

Social source share

with all respect Russ I've been to some old'es nights where a dj plays that middle of road 60's stuff that for me all sounds the same & like wise modern nights the same for me 90% of it is not for me but may be it float's your boat!

Like I said, your going to the wrong venues then, cos the ones I attend are generally banging all night.

I still thick theres alot of older stuff out there that dosn't get enough airtime

Yep, whole heartedly agree.

which yet again brings me back to the vinyl thing you Djs & collecters bang on about let's keep it vinyl but then 99% of Dj's out there haven't got the records  so all Joe public gets is what you Djs have got 

Who would play the records, if not the DJ....confused.

AhhhhThat feels better .

Best Richo.

Social source share

I agree with a lot of what you say Terry but you need your ears washing out re The Mighty Lovers mate - its at the very least in the top 5 records I've ever heard and quite possibly the best :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kitch's for example are blinding: Les Chansonettes C/U,

Magnificent track...must have...will settle for a live recording if anyone can PM me one...or a bleeped version if you're reading this Kitch :)

Social source share

I'm afraid I'm with Pete.

For me the acid test of a great record is can you sing along/whistle/remember the lyrics or tune, after the first hearing or two.

I'm afraid so much of the stuff I hear on here fetching good money is nondescript at best. How many of today's records are instantaneous? But each to their own.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kitch is one of the only Dj's on the scene that I would go out just to hear play. I didn't realise he had some new covers. Now I am very interested. Second only to Butch in my humble opinion, and some of the best nights I've ever experienced when he played at Burnley. Top man.  :yes:

Social source share

I don't prefer Pervis Lee to the Might Lover's, but the people in question might not be into JUST northern (loose catch all that that is). This site is 'soul' source so covers all genres and styles and fans, not just northern soul - we've even (quite rightly) got a reggae section :)

Many people now attending nights don't want just '60s northern sounds - rare or not - all night, they want a mix of styles and genres. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but it is the case.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't prefer Pervis Lee to the Might Lover's, but the people in question might not be into JUST northern (loose catch all that that is). This site is 'soul' source so covers all genres and styles and fans, not just northern soul - we've even (quite rightly) got a reggae section :)

Many people now attending nights don't want just '60s northern sounds - rare or not - all night, they want a mix of styles and genres. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but it is the case.

Do people actually ask for that, or are they just attending nights that have that music policy?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

No Emperors new clothes for me on the Mighty Lovers mate - first hearing was a WTF moment. All about personal taste but for me it has drama from the counted intro all thecway through and such a great record to dance to. Id term it as utterly remarkable but if we all liked the same stuff life would be a drag.

Take your point though it should be about the record and not the halo effect of the dj. Hopefully most of us are old enough to see through that :)

Can,t argue with that,but it,s funny how this is the case :)

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I agree with a lot of what you say Terry but you need your ears washing out re The Mighty Lovers mate - its at the very least in the top 5 records I've ever heard and quite possibly the best :)

Point is steve..it never registered on my radar at all had to get someone to tell me....and l like to think l actually listen when i,m out.....so whats going on there?....l dunno.........pervis lee......not saying it,s the greatest record,but boom first time l heard it   "whats this?".....probably why a lot of tunes that get played out...shouldn,t be  lol   atb  t

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Kitch is one of the only Dj's on the scene that I would go out just to hear play. I didn't realise he had some new covers. Now I am very interested. Second only to Butch in my humble opinion, and some of the best nights I've ever experienced when he played at Burnley. Top man.  :yes:

funny phil, you used to say  it was butch and Andy Dyson......whats changed?  especially as you don,t go out anymore.

Social source share

Well I saw it fill the floor in both Lifeline main room AND Pow Wow a few months back and plenty seemed to know it well so it must have fans who want to hear it out, so i guess i'm saying yes...

It's like the stuff that gets radio play. People don't seek those records out, they just hear them in the background of their lives and before they know it they are hooked.

Here's an interesting [i hope] anecdote. A few years ago James Trouble was a guest at Lifeline. This is advertised as the number one rare soul event in the country, with the countries finest Dj's. Their words not mine.

So when James goes on he's got the countries rare soul connoisseurs to get on the dance floor.

So he plays: Joe Hicks - Don't it Make You Feel Funky, Van Dykes - Save my Love For a Rainy Day and Tomangoes - I Really Love You.

The floor was rammed. :lol: 

People who go out for a dance and have had a bit of something, aren't gonna argue the toss what's being played, so long as it's got a beat.  

As a promoter or Dj, you are deciding what people will dance to, not the other way round.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

As far as the original posters post......l fall somewhere between  neil and pete.......these funk edged sets would sound a whole heap better if they threaded through some great 60.s dance tunes......as me old mate Stuart Raith put it......"these sets need to be punctuated throughout with 4 beats to the bar 60,s" ......when the whole set is is hard edged they get a bit boring........there is also a difference between the sounds played up north and the sounds played darn sarf......l call it the london sound   and for me   it,s generally too insipid.....l can always tell when one of these type of dj,s are on.....the music dips    there ya go!

Social source share

Then if they don't want just Northern - why go to a just Northern do?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

funny phil, you used to say  it was butch and Andy Dyson......whats changed?  especially as you don,t go out anymore.

I said one of, one of.

Really? How come I used to ask Kitch to Dj for me at every opportunity?

And Butch and Andy are the others I refer to, although I have been informed that Butch is playing more x-over and 70's stuff these days so not really my thing.

Just because I made a comment about the sound system at Burnley [which was hastily removed from facebook] have I become the enemy all of a sudden?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

More power to the guys and girls who are pushing the boundaries. Even the stuff I really dont like.

When out and about dancing is the best bit, but watching a full dancefloor, even if it is to Dean Barlow, is great fun. It also means I can talk to someone about how rubbish Dean Barlow is or something.

IMO Northern Soul has changed many times since I was introduced to it. With modern soul having its own rooms at clubs, the beat ballads allowing slower, some would say more soulful, records to fill dance floors. The burst of Latin (Which I really didnt, and still dont particularly like.) The RnB crossover from mod clubs that dominated for a short while the 'new' songs being played at niters. Weekenders,  Less alldayers. So many things are different. In ten years time it will be different again. And who knows, some of the changes may well be improvements.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I said one of, one of.

Really? How come I used to ask Kitch to Dj for me at every opportunity?

And Butch and Andy are the others I refer to, although I have been informed that Butch is playing more x-over and 70's stuff these days so not really my thing.

Just because I made a comment about the sound system at Burnley [which was hastily removed from facebook] have I become the enemy all of a sudden?

Not at all phil.........you just need to remember things you,ve said in the past :D:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!