Jock Mitchell W/ Fab. Agents No Mad Woman On Golden Hit

Tlscapital

Hi there, I have what was once a minty copy that I doubt saw a needle before mine. Anyway, the record produces a rather dominant "wish-woosh" type of sound all along the song 'no mad woman'. Like in this clip.

The other youtube clips are too loud and the highs are distorted. They were apparently "corrected" somehow.

I doubt it's a vinyl issue (poor quality...) since in the run in grooves the sound is normal and the problem comes with the start of the song and ends the same way: the run out grooves are also silent. The mastering is rather poor since the volume is low anyway. Like something was not right during the recording mastering.

I also doubt (until proven wrong) that it is a lacquer issue in the pressing process. Is there another matrix (GH 103 A) for this one ? I've heard here and there that some copies didn't have that problem. Is it a fact ? Is there another lacquer pressing ? Same/different matrix ?

Only once I saw a DJ playing a loud sounding copy like in the other youtube clips (BTW all Belgian pop-corn guys like the DJ here !). I had a peak at the said 45 and it seemed rather odd; thick like a carver with what looked like a stuck-on label. I did try to ask him about it but he remained rather evasive about it. Hmm !

Anyone with anything about this 45 ?

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

My understanding was that they all have the hiss - just some more than others. The one in the clip sounds remarkably clear compared to my copy which has an audible hiss all the way through on both sides..

Hisses I understand are due to wear. More dominant on styrene than vinyl. Here we are with a vinyl record. And like I explained here above, the "hiss" is in the mastering I'm lead to believe. If some NMW sound with less "hiss" than others that means there are different pressings. Are they for real ? How to tell them apart visually ? Is it not actually a matter of different system (needle...) and sound adjustment on the amp and/or through a mixing table ?

Social source share

No, it's not due to wear: mine's pretty much a minty. Exactly as you say, it's a mastering problem. I've listened to numerous copies of this and they've all had the hiss to a lesser or greater degree. First time I heard this was on a Pat Brady tape from the early-mid 80s - it also had the hiss. I'm sure John Manship auctioned one a couple of years back, and it also had the hiss.

Social source share

Here you go...

Manship did auction this almost exactly three years ago. Here's what he had to say about it...

Jock Mitchell With The Fabulous Agents

No Mad Woman

Oooh so very hard to secure Detroit Northern Soul - utilizing the arrangement of Stewart Ames - King For A Day - Jock Mitchell skates through his own production with the same expressive vocal delivery we all adored on his Impact recordings - this session though, is heighten by fabulous use of harmony-group background vocals - so shrill they evoke visions of pure-mystery surrounding this “Nomad Woman” - absolutely riveting piece of Motor City Northern. Please note: ALL of the very times we have encountered this 45 all have very light background noise. We believe this is an production flawNOT a wear fault. In the end, this fabulous tune that lays in the grooves - overrides this minor annoyance, totally.

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 229.00

Link: 

Social source share

My understanding was that they all have the hiss - just some more than others. The one in the clip sounds remarkably clear compared to my copy which has an audible hiss all the way through on both sides..

I had a perfect one back in the 80's, I gave it away last night of Stafford to a mate who had had his nicked, fairly sure his was perfect too, And think Joan on here has a perfect one so the do exist.

I have one now that has considerable noise, and its mint, and I am sure has got much worse despite only ever been played once.

So really not sure the story on this, but its a ba***rd, as it spoils one of the greatest 45's that exists.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert