James Barnett, Is This A Boot?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NO-SOUL-JAMES-BARNETT-KEEP-ON-TALKING-HEAR-IT-/161399172612?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item259423ee04                 The picture I'm looking at has Distributed by Atco Record Sales Co, below James Barnett also the markings are different between the lines on the left, thanks.                                                                                        

Edited by Paddywack
Social source share

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NO-SOUL-JAMES-BARNETT-KEEP-ON-TALKING-HEAR-IT-/161399172612?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item259423ee04                 The picture I'm looking at has Distributed by Atco Record Sales Co, below James Barnett also the markings are different between the lines on the left, thanks.                                                                                        

The one in this link looks like the styrene demo both this and the vinyl WDJ are the real deal :yes:  boot is of the issue but with light blue label! :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest johnkelly

Just starting to sell some of my records on ebay currently listing Cool Off Detroit Executives, I'm 100% sure about that one but not very sure about this now. Bought it in the Highland Room mid seventies and always thought it was genuine but not so sure now. Can anyone shed any light.post-30651-0-57064300-1412966272_thumb.j

Social source share

Just starting to sell some of my records on ebay currently listing Cool Off Detroit Executives, I'm 100% sure about that one but not very sure about this now. Bought it in the Highland Room mid seventies and always thought it was genuine but not so sure now. Can anyone shed any light.attachicon.gifP1000316.JPG

That's a boot, if it's pale blue

Social source share

Just starting to sell some of my records on ebay currently listing Cool Off Detroit Executives, I'm 100% sure about that one but not very sure about this now. Bought it in the Highland Room mid seventies and always thought it was genuine but not so sure now. Can anyone shed any light.attachicon.gifP1000316.JPG

Had my copy of the boot since the 70t's & always thought it looks better then the original :huh:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

I also was shafted at the Highland room a time or two, same period, gut wrenchin John, you've had what you thought was original 40 years

then this bombshell.... i sympathise mate!

Social source share

Guest johnkelly

I also was shafted at the Highland room a time or two, same period, gut wrenchin John, you've had what you thought was original 40 years

then this bombshell.... i sympathise mate!

Life just gets better just found out via my mate that my Oscar Perry records "I got what you need" and "Mainstring" should be on yellow not green Peri-Tone GRRR

Social source share

attachicon.gifCapture d’écran 2014-10-10 à 23.36.50.png original vinyl demo ( pressing plant Pennsylvania... ?) Bestway, Mountainside, New Jersey

attachicon.gifCapture d’écran 2014-10-10 à 23.37.54.png original vinyl demo (pressing plant Tennessee... ?) MGM Bloomfield, New York

attachicon.gifCapture d’écran 2014-10-10 à 23.37.33.png original stock issue styrene (pressing plant Los Angeles... ?) Monarch Los Angeles, California

attachicon.gifCapture d’écran 2014-10-10 à 23.38.13.png original great looking & sounding bootleg like something else The 70s bootleg, origin unknown

attachicon.gifCapture d’écran 2014-10-10 à 23.38.30.png un-original dull re-issue Looks like it could be the issue of the MGM variant above

Edited by garethx
Social source share

is that dull re issue from the kent fame box set with labels reversed

Sadly, yes it's that Kent 45. I always loved & defended the Kent LPs even though I never collected them as such. Off course the Kent Anniversaries 45 are something out of this world. On the other hand I never had much appeal for their CD compilations of compilations and "best offs"... Anyway, through the decades Kent had to adapt and jump on "the bandwagon" to stay in the race I guess. That is commercially logical. And so IMHO such a "box of 45" look alike reissues selection from the Fame files is, sorry Ady, a bit dull I find. Even if some are raries and one previously unissued on wax. But to get one unissued bit on a 45 format,  the box set makes it rather expensive and then the "split" of the set is rather unavoidable...

Social source share

It's an original, I know the person who bought it. :yes:

Social source share

The one on the link above is definitely vinyl. Don't know that I've seen a styrene white label demo. The promos are pressed at MGM and Bestway. The Monarch issue has "Fame" in type, not a logo.

Yes it is vinyl, I have had this one in my hands (don't worry they were clean ;-)

Social source share

Can anyone post a scan of the styrene white demo if one exists?

If it does exist, I've never seen one. Pressing plants regardless of promos and/or issues at some pressing plants then others with such and/or such logo/design seems to go all over the place with the Fame firsts 10 releases or so. If there's no flat design logo on styrene promo is there an original red stock vinyl with the "sparkle" logo ?

Social source share

Can anyone post a scan of the styrene white demo if one exists?

Check out manships guide 5th addition Picture 29B and write up!! (Bit of a coincidence Its on page 29 too) It's a bit like Al Williams on Palmer Issue supposed to be cheapest format!! :yes:  Still waiting to see my first one! :(

Social source share

I don't have Manship's guide I'm afraid. It makes sense that there should be a Monarch pressed demo. Must be very scarce.

I would guess so Gareth!! I'm pretty sure I have seen one up for sale but a long time ago!!  :g: But I would really like to see the Palmer issue of Al Williams that has fascinated me for years!!  :yes: Maybe one day!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

I see them come up from time to time. Was that done on purpose ?

No it was a mistake at the pressing plant.

And this reissue had very little to do with Ady, it was Tony Rounce and my project.

Dull - only if you find reissues from the original master-tapes dull. A lot of happy customers on this one. 

It's just one of the many varieties of releases that Ace and Kent do, some to appeal to hard core collectors, others for those dipping their toes in the water.

Five great southern soul 45s in a box, can't see the problem with that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No it was a mistake at the pressing plant.

And this reissue had very little to do with Ady, it was Tony Rounce and my project.

Dull - only if you find reissues from the original master-tapes dull. A lot of happy customers on this one.

It's just one of the many varieties of releases that Ace and Kent do, some to appeal to hard core collectors, others for those dipping their toes in the water.

Five great southern soul 45s in a box, can't see the problem with that.

What were the other 4 singles ?

Social source share

The person who bought this copy has 2 issues, one mint the others EX both in styrene he was worried they might snap or crack as styrene can easily do.

That's why I sold a load of rarish stuff last year all on styrene!! Too Risky! and gets worse as they get older!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!