Sitting Down Or Getting On Up

Someone this morning remarked on an interesting observation they had made whilst flicking through the photo galleries on here...they said the difference between photos of UK Northern doo's and the rest of the world doo's, is that the UK ones usually show people sat down or posing in their latest ensemble, whilst the other countries seem to be mostly of people dancing on a packed dancefloor!

I recall that at the Capitol Soul Club we purposely didn't have many chairs as we wanted people to dance. Nowadays, I also enjoy the completely opposite scenario, as the Soul collectors night in Tokyo has no dancefloor, but plenty of chairs so we can sit, chat, drink and eat curry or pizza...whilst the DJs spin their selections.

So, is the UK scene changing and with venues having to now provide more seating with less emphasis on the size of dancefloor...a sign of things to come?

:g:

Social source share

Hi Flynny. Certain aspects to consider when you are knockin on a bit (as a big percentage are).... bad backs, vertigo, osteoarthritis, high blood pressure....

to name but a few, also, not everyone is a dancer. Somehow, i'd imagine, all the punters in Tokyo would be young, fit and agile.

Myself, i do like to dance but too much football over the years limits me.... knees & ankles :)

Social source share

Maybe us lot should take up Yoga? Or watch youtube yoga vids when no one's in..  :lol:

If Brucie can get new tv contracts on a dancing show at 86, there is hope for the rest of us and hey, didn't do Ryan Giggs playing career any harm?

Billy Whizz and Geoff Green are (respectfully) no spring chickens age-wise, though they're out on the floor all night every Saturday night. Doubt they bothered with Yoga or owt like that either.. :hatsoff2:

Edited by Simsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Carrying middle age weight gain gives the lungs a battering these days and I enjoy sitting on my ass singing my heart out whilst jerkin' in my seat. Decades full of non stop dancing weekends has earned me some necessary sit down now. The Europeans and the Japanese are much younger and are still hearing lots of records we all were dancing to years ago which to them are newies.

Social source share

last two  places ive been where totally opposite , one was out and out "oldies" night it was rammed as was the dance floor , not many under 50 in as well , the other played under played and rarer stuff it was also rammed , but more people listening than dancing but the place was smaller as was the dancefloor , i like to get up now and again for a bit of a jig if the mood takes me , probably does not answer many questions , i will finish now as i am going on a bit like most old folk do  :wink:

Social source share

I like to showcase styles of dance that are referred to in songs,I.e camel walk,mashed potato, New breed boogaloo when I'm out, although the hucklebuck drew some stares, and I'm struggling at the moment with the titty shaker!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

As a wise old sage one said to me when I made the same observation: "Just because the dance-floors aren't quite as full, doesn't mean folks aren't having a good time."

Regards,

Dave

What a great saying.

Social source share

Surely any definition of N. Soul must have the word 'dance' in it. Whilst not active on the scene any more as I live in Malta, last year I went to a so-called Northern night in Cheshire and the floor was empty for most of the night. The music was very good, the sort of sounds you would play at home or at your mate's when you couldn't afford to go out at night. The sort of sound that we would 'discover' and like, but know instinctively that it would never get played in a club. Few of the sounds had any charisma or presence and the vast majority of people sat around listening and nodding, sagely. It wasn't my idea of Northern and I felt cheated that I couldn't hit the floor more. :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Surely any definition of N. Soul must have the word 'dance' in it. Whilst not active on the scene any more as I live in Malta, last year I went to a so-called Northern night in Cheshire and the floor was empty for most of the night. The music was very good, the sort of sounds you would play at home or at your mate's when you couldn't afford to go out at night. The sort of sound that we would 'discover' and like, but know instinctively that it would never get played in a club. Few of the sounds had any charisma or presence and the vast majority of people sat around listening and nodding, sagely. It wasn't my idea of Northern and I felt cheated that I couldn't hit the floor more. :(

You went to the wrong do Mate.   :(

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

I'm too busy looking superior in my up to the minute fashions & talking to the plebs about my white label record collection to get involved with that dancing fad........it'll never catch on  :wicked: 

Cheers

Elite Martyn

Dancing is the main reason for a night out for me...and i think the photos viewed haven't given a fair over view of the scene today ???  P.S.That reminds me Martyn ...my printers working again let me know which titles you want running up this week ???

Edited by Keeper
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!