So Out Of Tune You Can't Get Past It

El Corol

Inspired by the Tommy Neal thread and the comments Pete S made about prefering the instrumental because Tommy struggles to hit a note or two, and others saying how it doesn't matter to them got me thinking about a tune that has such a bum note that I can't get past it:

https://youtu.be/73NcJiK2jiU

The note at 29 seconds in just does it for me.

Anyone else got any examples for them?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

There is a song "You're My Salvation"  on the otherwise fantastic Ascots Colour me Soul album , I'm not sure what he's doing there tbh .. Really struggles with a few notes.     wish they would have replaced it and included Few Feet from the Gutter on the album instead as it says on the back   :dash2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On the subject of George Lemons - Fascinating Girl isn't even his worst recording. Listen to this. Grim!

Always thought Fascinating Girl sounded like a pissed uncle singing karaoke at a wedding, but this is far worse than that. Anthony, your sharing of this gem is greatly appreciated... Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Think the flip of the Corondas on Bright a Star is a real killer though, either this or another 45 by them on the label..

Might upset some folk but Love stormy weather is another that's all over the place especially the horn blowing...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wgtKAFDEfuI

Mal

Totally forgot Ted Wilson, both sides... Guys a pub singer... Dreadful record and why folk pay so much for it is beyond me...

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Great thread.
It's a really interesting fine line between the examples here, and the finest productions, with superb vocals and backing, great lyrics etc. I suspect we all know the latter when we hear them, and many of them are stand-out top 500 type tracks, but at the same time, surely we all adore the straight-up honesty of some absolutely brilliant recordings that veer towards the ones posted here?
I think the soul records we listen to have, at least mostly, the virtue of being the best the performers were able to provide, whereas I often despair at some of the current indie/pop singer/songwriters who may be appalling in both capacities yet reach the masses simply because they have the right 'look and feel'.
I often find myself listening to stuff in the car that I'm loving and can't help thinking that there's barely 10% of it which I'd feel comfortable having non-soulie friends hearing, as I know they'd just think it was rubbish, and wouldn't perceive the soulful quality and content. But that's part of the attraction too, sharing that sense of 'getting something' that passes a lot of other people by. Not elitism for the sake of it, just that feeling that you and a bunch of like minded people get the point.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I can't pick a single note that's out of tune on this because all of it sounds out of tune to me??...........the problem is I've played it that many times in disbelief that it actually ever got made I've started to like it :shhh:

And the A side is even worse :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

On the subject of George Lemons - Fascinating Girl isn't even his worst recording. Listen to this. Grim!

We've found a winner,I defy anyone to find anything as bad as this.What makes it doubly painful for me is I think Walters version of "It's An Uphill" is one of the greatest soul records ever.

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

We've found a winner,I defy anyone to find anything as bad as this.What makes it doubly painful for me is I think Walters version of "It's An Uphill" is one of the greatest soul records ever.

Cheers

Martyn

No sweat, I'll take up that challenge. I think my guy is far worse than your guy.

If you're good I won't put up the other side.

I'm not very good at soundcloud an all that so hopefully the MP3 will play

post-19806-0-82222800-1408381133_thumb.j

PJ IDWTC RAB.mp3

Social source share

No sweat, I'll take up that challenge. I think my guy is far worse than your guy.

If you're good I won't put up the other side.

I'm not very good at soundcloud an all that so hopefully the MP3 will play

Good try & it is truly awful but think George is still in first place :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Good try & it is truly awful but think George is still in first place :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

Not convinced, I still think Pete sucks the most, but I wouldn't want to live on the difference I must admit :D

If I can find it I'll put up the other side then we could go for the worst 2 sider, what's the other side of George like?

No idea how to do it but maybe when there are a few more up here someone could set up a poll, for the worstest of the worst.

Social source share

Milton Bennett--Whats One More Lie

This for me could have been one of the greatest Northern Records ever if the vocal was up to the mark.From 55 in it sounds like me in the pit showers after a night shift real shame.

[/quote

A case of a good instrumental ruined by a vocal. Miltons giving it his all, but.............

I find it interesting as I've got older how I'm more able to know for certain when something is good, bad, indifferent for me. I don't mind bum notes or a lesser production but sometimes its too much. Or sometimes its just not that good a song, you know that feeling when you pull something out your box and think.........hmm bit shit really.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!