Sue Lynne- 'northern Soul Heroine' Discovered

Goldsoul

Guest MBarrett

This record has obviously given a lot of pleasure to a lot of people.

BUT

I sometimes judge records by what I would have thought if I had heard them in the 60s when they were released. This would definitely have been laughed out of the door/frisbied out of the window.

Sorry - just MHO.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Obviously one of those love it or hate records.

For me, it's a "Jesus, let's fook off to the Mecca"

post-13147-0-66402000-1407931675_thumb.j

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

In my life I've sold a very small number of records from my collection, certainly a lot less than one percent of all the records I've bought, so I like to think of my boxes as a vinyl black hole ("once it goes in it doesn't come out") but this is one that got away, twice.

I had an average copy and let it go twenty plus years back, because I got a unplayed copy. The trouble with having unplayed copies of records is there's a tendancy to not want to play them, so I stupidly let it go thinking I'd get myself an average copy to play. That was maybe ten- fifteen years ago and I still haven't got hold of a play copy. Yes I know I should have kept the unplayed copy until I'd got the next one in my hands, but I used to see it all the time, and considering the flood of boots/reissues I'd have thought a copy would find its way back to me.
As I approach 50 years of collecting records I wonder if I'll ever get it right......... :huh: 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

In my life I've sold a very small number of records from my collection, certainly a lot less than one percent of all the records I've bought, so I like to think of my boxes as a vinyl black hole ("once it goes in it doesn't come out") but this is one that got away, twice.

I had an average copy and let it go twenty plus years back, because I got a unplayed copy. The trouble with having unplayed copies of records is there's a tendancy to not want to play them, so I stupidly let it go thinking I'd get myself an average copy to play. That was maybe ten- fifteen years ago and I still haven't got hold of a play copy. Yes I know I should have kept the unplayed copy until I'd got the next one in my hands, but I used to see it all the time, and considering the flood of boots/reissues I'd have thought a copy would find its way back to me.

As I approach 50 years of collecting records I wonder if I'll ever get it right......... :huh: 

You did get it right you sold both copies :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

We've all got our own personal perspectives on these things, mine's from the point of view of a green 17 year old hearing at Wigan when I first went and for that reason the record will always have special place for me. I still like it and don't see any reason why you can't enjoy this and still be blown away by listening to Butch or Andy Dyson.

Soul or not, I don't care :)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

We've all got our own personal perspectives on these things, mine's from the point of view of a green 17 year old hearing at Wigan when I first went and for that reason the record will always have special place for me. I still like it and don't see any reason why you can't enjoy this and still be blown away by listening to Butch or Andy Dyson.

Soul or not, I don't care :)

It's a matter of taste (opinion) Steve, there's loads of pop stuff that's been played that I have enjoyed hearing out, especially at Wigan with the atmosphere but this one just grates :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No but when it was big I heard a story that it also came out in Ireland on Emerald......

I think it was that story that evolved into the Gloria Hunniford rumour.

https://www.irishrock.org/labels/emerald.html

Well The Madlads, The Flamingos and even Pat Brady got a release on Emerald what more soulful credential could you want :D

And you notice that from 1969 Cat No MD1118 isn't allocated to anyone so you never know :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think it was that story that evolved into the Gloria Hunniford rumour.

https://www.irishrock.org/labels/emerald.html

Well The Madlads, The Flamingos and even Pat Brady got a release on Emerald what more soulful credential could you want :D

And you notice that from 1969 Cat No MD1118 isn't allocated to anyone so you never know :wink:

I see Pat Brady also had a release on the label

Social source share

mines a pint of lager steve,,,,still a massive oldie..

Played mine recently at a local venue went down a treat , hopefully similar to that lager i'll be drinking with Mark,

Some Drink Beer some drink Lager either way cheers & all the best

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!