Best Soul Lp Ever From The 60Ts

Guest myersart1958

Guest CapitolSC

This is definately up their with the best

Carla Thomas Memphis Queen

Al H

Edited by CapitolSC
Social source share

I got my copy of 'Born Again' by jj Barnes out again last week, might be early seventies, sorry about that....But what an Lp it is....

Failing that Bobby Bland - piece of gold on Uk Action, cause I got mine from my mates mum for a fiver while I was at school, and that Lp opened so many doors for me...Strong Stuff!!!

Mal

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

The three I am going to name here are right at the mainstream end of the soul spectrum, but they are up there with the very best . . . .

Otis Blue - Otis Redding

Hand Clappin' Foot Stompin' Funky-Butt . . . Live! - Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band

Motown Chartbusters Vol 3. - Misc.

Social source share

I'm talking strictly in a UK release context ;

There was the 12/6d  Atlantic sampler [ This is Soul ] , which was pretty ground breaking at the time, and a subsequent ' This is Sue ' , same price. Maybe not that rare / scarce stuff, but def got me into this mess.

Then the early TMG  / Stateside comps and the Bell Cellars of Soul. The Columbia v/a lp of okeh stuff was amazing.

But, along with the Tempts ' With a lot of soul ' [see above ], the 2 James Carr lps  [stateside / Bell ], are the db's.........in my h.o. of course.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If only one US released LP had to be nominated, it would be this stunning piece of musical artistry:

R-3055983-1313618986.jpeg

I'll Take Good Care Of You   That Goes To Show You   More Than A Miracle   Looking For You   Angel On My Doorstep   Welcome Home   Prove It To Me   It Won't Hurt (Half As Much)   It Was Easier To Hurt Her   Keep On Smilin'   Thinkin'
Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Got the Freddie Hughes that Wayne so rightly mentions, don,t know the James Carr Dave, but bet its good

Kev

For me it's proper Kev, but that's down to my own personal southern & deep taste

You might wanna check 'em out so tracklist

Pouring Water On A Drowning Man
Love Attack
Coming Back To Me Baby
I Don't Want To Be Hurt Anymore
That's What I Want To Know
These Ain't Raindrops
The Dark End Of The Street
I'm Going For Myself
Lovable Girl
Forgetting You
She's Better Than You
You've Got My Mind Messed Up

post-13147-0-52499900-1407315432_thumb.j

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

For me it's proper Kev, but that's down to my own personal southern & deep taste

You might wanna check 'em out so tracklist

Pouring Water On A Drowning Man
Love Attack
Coming Back To Me Baby
I Don't Want To Be Hurt Anymore
That's What I Want To Know
These Ain't Raindrops
The Dark End Of The Street
I'm Going For Myself
Lovable Girl
Forgetting You
She's Better Than You
You've Got My Mind Messed Up

:thumbsup: Thanks Dave, I am on the case

Kev

Social source share

As said above too hard to pick one, and agree with many already mentioed, particularly withdrawn Len Barry, but thougth I'd give a shout out for this:

post-5677-0-70308200-1407318780_thumb.jp

Jimmy Ruffin Ruff 'N Ready with the glorious version of 96 Tears on but the whole album makes such a great home play.

Social source share

And his "A Man Needs A Woman"LP, get the UK bell release as it's got 6 more tracks compared to the US Goldwax release

Shouldn't you be fetching another cocktail for your long suffering wife!

Good shout, and you beat me to it. Although I have never actually seen a copy of the Bell LP, I assume some of our members here have one.

I would probably have to take Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved A Man as no 1, but yest James Carr, Freddie Hughes and Otis Blue, all in top 10 I would say.

Sorry boys but Tempests, as great as it is, would struggle to make the top 50, would definitely make top 500, now there is an idea for a book........

Social source share

Shouldn't you be fetching another cocktail for your long suffering wife!

Good shout, and you beat me to it. Although I have never actually seen a copy of the Bell LP, I assume some of our members here have one.

I would probably have to take Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved A Man as no 1, but yest James Carr, Freddie Hughes and Otis Blue, all in top 10 I would say.

Sorry boys but Tempests, as great as it is, would struggle to make the top 50, would definitely make top 500, now there is an idea for a book........

no need for me to get cocktails for the wife as they're delivered to our hands by waiters.

I've got the UK Bell LP

like the idea of the book, maybe someone with some in depth knowledge and substantial stock could do this and maybe even add some prices to the listings. What a great idea that would be.....

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

If only one US released LP had to be nominated, it would be this stunning piece of musical artistry:

R-3055983-1313618986.jpeg

I'll Take Good Care Of You   That Goes To Show You   More Than A Miracle   Looking For You   Angel On My Doorstep   Welcome Home   Prove It To Me   It Won't Hurt (Half As Much)   It Was Easier To Hurt Her   Keep On Smilin'   Thinkin'

just having a listen to this  fantastic album

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

inez & charlie fox mockingbird second release on united artists as it has the track I see you my love

which is not on first sue release

got my copy for 5p from a jumble sale and stateside soul sixteen at same time same price at the great age of 13,(start of an obsession)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!