Urban Blues Projec 12"- Advice Needed

Guest Catfish

Guest Catfish

I recently heard Soul Sam play Urban Blues Project 'Love Don't Live Here' and decided I'd like a copy. On doing a search on Gemm.com I was pleased to see I could get a copy for under $10. However, this is not as simple as it seems. There is a long list of offers with a plethora of dodgy sounding remixes, dub versions, DJ mixes & flock wallpaper tandoori specials. Oh, and a choice of 3 different labels- 'A&M' (this is I suspect the original- and I think it came out in 1996) , 'Soulfuric' and 'AMNPM'.

I wish to buy the original 12". I don't mind if remixes are included but it must have the original, unmessedaboutwith tune on there.

Anyone know which is the one? Or got a nice copy for sale? Any info appreciated.

Used to buying 7" singles- lot simpler ain't it!

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Johnny One Trout

The original may be on the soulfuric mix but i'm fairly sure that the original 12 was the AMNPM but to be honest can't be arsed searchin it out sorry

John

Social source share

Guest Darks

I think it's the original Classic Club mix on Soulfuric that you want.

Roger

I'm almost certain that it is the U.B.P Classic Mix.

The correct title of this is Urban Blues Project present Michael Procter "Love don't live" on AM/PM.

Rick Scott used to play this all the time a few years ago. All a bit strange, especially hearing it in a village hall somewhere near Lincoln. Good record though.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Think this is the mix you want but be careful when you order it as it's record 1 in a 2 record set & it's the UBP Classic mix but a lot of covers have the Jazz & Groove mix printed on the front cover & UBP on the back.

It's on AM:PM records number 581-791-1

Must admit vocally it sounds a bit Tom Jonesy to me but a great dance record from 1996 & always sure to fill a dance floor.

UBP.mp3

While your'e searching through the Urban Blues Project stuff keep a lookout for the UBP classic mix of We Are One featuring Bobby Pruitt.

Awesome record with some great vocals & horn work featured.

Mart...

Social source share

Guest Catfish

Thanks for all the info. Esp Cunnie for the download. Quite the best quality download I've ever managed to play on my old 5gb computer...Enjoyed listening to it!

I've now bought the CD so I could play it in the car.. but will prob buy the 12" as well now I know what to get.

See what you mean about Tom Jones now. Still like it tho'.

Social source share

i have the mix u want for sale on a mint 12 on my gemm site if you're interested, its on soulfuric and its part 2 of the 12"set, the 12's were issued seperately in the US,

https://www.gemm.com/item/MICHAEL--PROCTOR/...2/GML812746542/

Sams playing Michael Proctor whistling.gif:thumbsup: by that rate he'll be playing Kenny Latimore in 2010 and quentin harris by 2016 :ohmy::P:yes:

cheers Paul

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

i have the mix u want for sale on a mint 12 on my gemm site if you're interested, its on soulfuric and its part 2 of the 12"set, the 12's were issued seperately in the US,

https://www.gemm.com/item/MICHAEL--PROCTOR/...2/GML812746542/

Sams playing Michael Proctor whistling.gif:thumbsup: by that rate he'll be playing Kenny Latimore in 2010 and quentin harris by 2016 :ohmy::P:yes:

cheers Paul

Hey up Paul,

When are we gonna see you back up in gods own county again ?

Not to worry as you'll be seeing me in Brighton next year for the little shindig down there :P

You should know better than to criticize Sam on't net Sutty as you could end up in allsorts of bother :D:D:D

That's a bargain Catfish as iv'e seen Michael proctor listed for £30 recently & now Sams playing it we all know what's going to happen.

Here's the other UBP track i promised you.

Bobby_Pruitt.mp3

Social source share

Hey up Paul,

Not to worry as you'll be seeing me in Brighton next year for the little shindig down there :thumbsup:

You should know better than to criticize Sam on't net Sutty as you could end up in allsorts of bother whistling.gif:ohmy::P

That's a bargain Catfish as iv'e seen Michael proctor listed for £30 recently & now Sams playing it we all know what's going to happen.

Bobby_Pruitt.mp3

also on the same label,Donna Allen "he is the joy" is worth checking out :yes:
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I recently heard Soul Sam play Urban Blues Project 'Love Don't Live Here' and decided I'd like a copy. On doing a search on Gemm.com I was pleased to see I could get a copy for under $10. However, this is not as simple as it seems. There is a long list of offers with a plethora of dodgy sounding remixes, dub versions, DJ mixes & flock wallpaper tandoori specials. Oh, and a choice of 3 different labels- 'A&M' (this is I suspect the original- and I think it came out in 1996) , 'Soulfuric' and 'AMNPM'.

I wish to buy the original 12". I don't mind if remixes are included but it must have the original, unmessedaboutwith tune on there.

Anyone know which is the one? Or got a nice copy for sale? Any info appreciated.

Used to buying 7" singles- lot simpler ain't it!

First heard this played out at the Black Cap in Camden at time of UK release....and remember sprinting up to the dj and pestering him for the details :thumbsup: There are two 12's of the same track 'Love don't Live' - both on AM:PM - released through Universal back in '96ish. You want the mix that's in the BROWN cover....I think it's the Jazz mix - ignore the word 'Jazz'. I'm not at home at the mo' but I'll check for you - I've always rated Michael Proctor and especially this record whistling.gif Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

First heard this played out at the Black Cap in Camden at time of UK release....and remember sprinting up to the dj and pestering him for the details :thumbsup: There are two 12's of the same track 'Love don't Live' - both on AM:PM - released through Universal back in '96ish. You want the mix that's in the BROWN cover....I think it's the Jazz mix - ignore the word 'Jazz'. I'm not at home at the mo' but I'll check for you - I've always rated Michael Proctor and especially this record whistling.gif Jo

I have a UK issue 12" of this....................it's "the right mix" as it were, and mine is in the "BLUE" cover.............so take care with the advice related to which colour cover UK 12" to go for!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I have a UK issue 12" of this....................it's "the right mix" as it were, and mine is in the "BLUE" cover.............so take care with the advice related to which colour cover UK 12" to go for!!

Cheers,

Mark R

LOL...I think the covers probably got 'mixed up' in a moment of gay abandon :D but I'll check the mix....when I get back home - and swop the covers :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

This is a great site for deciphering mixes, cat no. etc

https://www.discogs.com

& straight to the Urban Blues page

https://www.discogs.com/artist/Urban+Blues+Project

the UBP Classic Mix is the mix that was always huge with the soul boys - althought the Original Vibe Mix was always my choice - this only appears on AM:PM & if you go for the promo double pack you get both.

Deliver Me is also worth checking with Proctor on vocals - and Testify with Jay Williams :thumbsup:

Cheers Girth

Social source share

I found I'd written this in the back of my diary at the time as 'one to get'. Never did. Does it have a major sample in it or something?

Social source share

Girth,

I've always thought that Deliver Me is the best of his too.

Dave

Didn't he fall out with the Jazz & Groove boys for some reason or another ?? his only other release of note (that I recall) was this one with 7th District Inc. Must be this mix. Well worth hunting down.

https://www.discogs.com/release/260916

Girf

Edited by Girthdevon
Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest Trevski

Hey up Paul,

Not to worry as you'll be seeing me in Brighton next year for the little shindig down there :ohmy:

You should know better than to criticize Sam on't net Sutty as you could end up in allsorts of bother :thumbup::P:lol:

Bobby_Pruitt.mp3

Heard Sam play this out, prefer it to the other track. How much for one of these then?

Cancel that, just got one! :D

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Heard Sam play this out, prefer it to the other track. How much for one of these then?

Cancel that, just got one! :thumbup:

The Bobby Pruitt is the harder one to get and as has been said has gone all "massive" again at the moment. The Aston Martinez remix is the one you want of that. That's part of a two record 12 on Soulfuric, but you can leave the other record behind, as it's all horrible dubs and stuff.

"Love don't live" also came out on a UK CD single, for those that don't really need the vinyl. The CD single contains the "Radio version" and "full length" versions of the classic club Mix, so has the short version thatSam dubbed onto a 7" :ohmy: ..I got it on CD when I was buying all those cheap promos that Mike whathisname (ex Northern guy) used to tout round the southern record fairs a few years ago.

Kenny Lattimore "Sutty"? Which one "Days like this"? Bloody awesome tuneage too.

Steve

Social source share

Guest Trevski

The Bobby Pruitt is the harder one to get and as has been said has gone all "massive" again at the moment. The Aston Martinez remix is the one you want of that. That's part of a two record 12 on Soulfuric, but you can leave the other record behind, as it's all horrible dubs and stuff.

"Love don't live" also came out on a UK CD single, for those that don't really need the vinyl. The CD single contains the "Radio version" and "full length" versions of the classic club Mix, so has the short version thatSam dubbed onto a 7" :thumbup: ..I got it on CD when I was buying all those cheap promos that Mike whathisname (ex Northern guy) used to tout round the southern record fairs a few years ago.

Kenny Lattimore "Sutty"? Which one "Days like this"? Bloody awesome tuneage too.

Steve

Got the 2x12" from germany on Soulfuric £17. They have a couple more, I think.

Social source share

Steve

blimey this is an old thread! 'if i lose my woman' MAW mix is the real killer, still sounds great. hard to believe it was 1998.

https://www.discogs.com/release/66445

and buy this off Derek

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=63165

both are umpteen times better than michael proctor, well slightly better anyway IMHO

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert