Poll - A Which Version - I Can't Make It Anymore.... ?

Mike

which version...?  

1. 1. I can't make it anymore..

• Spyder Turners
    • Richie Havens

Spyder for me, awesome record. Brought tears to my eyes when he sang it at Prestatyn, just brilliant x

Brings tears to my eyes just hearing it on the record, Joan - probably a good thing I didn't hear him at Prestatyn or I'd probably have been a blubbering wreck!

As for the poll, the Havens version is very pretty, neatly orchestrated and, as somebody mentioned, 'Callieresque', a strong record on many points, but Spyder's version is just beyond perfection.    The fact that it's the fastest version by far might seem odd for such a reflective song, but I think the pace of the arrangement and the urgency of the vocals bring a whole extra dimension of restlessness to the performance, which I always thought was a great match for the 'torn and troubled' atmosphere of the lyrics.  Plus the musical arrangement absolutely RINGS!   A spectacular record, regardless of its 'Northern-ness' or otherwise, but as a Northern record, pound for pound it's got to be one of the premier sounds on the scene. 

Great idea for a poll, by the way, Mike.

Cheets,

Nick

Social source share

On the sound clip and my copy (black MGM issue - not the lovely yellow demo) there's a little wobble about 3/4 of the way through where it sounds like the tape has slowed down a bit,(just after the key change where he sings ..I'm leaving you..) then it quickly rights itself again. Anybody else's do that or am I going mad?..I'm sure my version on a CD comp somewhere does the same.

Having said that it doesn't spoil what is probably the best NS cheapie ever.

Social source share

Not trying to be different but i heard the Havens Polydor LP version in the 60s and have always preferred the intimacy and emotion of his which. i think Spyder loses in the tempo. Undoubtedly Havens would be more like Lightfoot's original which I don't think exists in any form but I'd love to hear. Havens is the ultimate break-up song

Social source share

will close this now but leave the comments open for a bit in case anyone wants to talk about the voting

153 member(s) have cast votes)

Spyder Turners (139 votes [90.85%])
Richie Havens (14 votes [9.15%])

Spyder getting the upper hand is not a great surprise I suppose, though the way he did it 91% v 9% was a lot more brutal than I expected

Thanks to all who took part and those whose comments made it all an interesting bit of fun  :thumbsup:

mike
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

A poll on these two.WHY? Thought this was soul source ffs.Sometimes i wonder why i bother when everytime i look on here somebodys championing another piece of pop drivel.I know what replies to expect so with hard hat on i may have to bite the bullet and enter Facebook World.

Tricky

Social source share

A poll on these two.WHY? Thought this was soul source ffs.Sometimes i wonder why i bother when everytime i look on here somebodys championing another piece of pop drivel.I know what replies to expect so with hard hat on i may have to bite the bullet and enter Facebook World.

Tricky

why not ?

just a simple which version you enjoy poll

as said in my last post I thought that it resulted in an interesting active enjoyable thread

the only really negative post I have seen come from yourself

if you do feel that strongly about a simple poll then yep maybe better off going somewhere else

its just a poll, there be others, take a break its no big thing

Edited by mike
added bit
Social source share

You may well be right about me taking a break Mike but like i said before and you should know better than most its a SOUL FORUM.Bit lost on you eh!!!!

Tricky

Sorry but not going to get into an argument on is richie havens a soul record

Myself I try and respect other members tastes/views

Thanks anyway for passing on your views 

if you do wanna carry on about this forum then best take it to the support forum

cheeers now

mike

Social source share

will close this now but leave the comments open for a bit in case anyone wants to talk about the voting

153 member(s) have cast votes)

Spyder Turners (139 votes [90.85%])
Richie Havens (14 votes [9.15%])

Spyder getting the upper hand is not a great surprise I suppose, though the way he did it 91% v 9% was a lot more brutal than I expected

Thanks to all who took part and those whose comments made it all an interesting bit of fun  :thumbsup:

mike

ok thats 24 hours or so 

now closed

thanks again

Social source share