Barbara St Clair " Teacher Man "

Simon M

• Replies 52
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Awake 502

Great record! Anyone have a copy for sale?

Arthur used to play this at Snaith, have a spare somewhere if you are interested.... :shades:

Social source share

Yarr,

Land in 'Dead Mans' Cove - thirty paces forward there be a Palm tree, turn 90 degrees left and walk forward 12 paces and there be a rock.

Dig a hole next to said rock, smash this abomination against it and bury the pieces in't hole.

Make sail from this place as fast as the wind'll take ee and try thy hardest to forget thy ever heard this bilge.

Aharr.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

OK, for everyone who wants to hear the extended version it got it's first airing on the radio yesterday so here's a download......

1st Hour

Al Green & Ann Nesby - Put It On Paper - Remix

Dunneasy feat Leslie Carter - Reach For The Sky

Idris Muhammad - For Your Love - Remix

Barbara St Clair - Teacher Man - Atomix Extended Re-Edit

The Jacksons - Heartbreak Hotel

Evelyn 'Champagne' King - Give Me One Reason

The System - I Don't Know How To Say

The Chi-Lites - Changing For You

Joy - The Time Is Right

Rose Royce - Love Is In The Air

2nd Hour

The Lovelites - Get It Off My Conscience

Bobby Hutton - It's All Been Said Before

Rhonda Davis - Can You Remember

Mel Britt - She'll Come Running Back

Tommy Young - That's All A Part Of Loving Him

Kenya Collins - Barnabus Collins - Love Bandit

The Persuasions - One Thing On My Mind

Cecil Parker - I Think I'll Tell Her

Coffee - Love's Alive

Isaac Hayes & Dionne Warwick - Can't Hide Love - Live

The Rippingtons feat Chante Moore - Until You Come Back To Me

Syleena Johnson - Special Occasion

Lorenzo Evans - Wanna See You Smile

Phil Perry - The Way That I Want You

Chanel - My Life

https://www.sixmillionsteps.com/6MS-...9-Starpoint.mp3

Best,

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest fryer

I dunno but if anyone has any contact info for the owners let me know 'cos I wouldn't mind licensing it........

Ian D :lol:

I have exclusive licence on it and have the TPs in hand, it will be out on Soul7 in a month or so.

Social source share

I seem to remeber it was just one chap from Spyro Gyra ? But I cant remember :lol:

Youd need to visit some bars in Buffalo

The story goes that when Spyro Gyra had their hit on RCA, they had to ditch the Barbara St Clair records quick, and sold them all to John A.

Social source share

The story goes that when Spyro Gyra had their hit on RCA, they had to ditch the Barbara St Clair records quick, and sold them all to John A.

Yeah he seemed to have the lot back in the early 80's

ps. DJ Honk has the acetate of the Pincushions

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I have exclusive licence on it and have the TPs in hand, it will be out on Soul7 in a month or so.

Hey well done Fryer! What a great record. Do you want this 12" mix? It's a mate who put it together and I'm sure he'd be delighted if you could use it............

Best of luck with the release mate. I think this will cause a stir across a few scenes........

Social source share

That remix is horrible :lol: .

Wow its almost three years since I started this thread

I know! I pumped Barbara St Clair into Google and your original thread came up. How's that for a co-incidence?

I think the 12" is great for mixing - the only way you can get that fantastic intro coming out of another record and watch it build. I love it........

Any more tips where that one came from LOL........?

Ian D :)

Social source share

It must have been just one of the guys from Spyro Gyra I reckon Steve. The Barbara St Clair track is a million miles from all that wishy-washy yuppy Jazz bar mitvah type Spyro Gyra type stuff that got played in dodgy70's wine-bars............ :lol:

Social source share

I know! I pumped Barbara St Clair into Google and your original thread came up. How's that for a co-incidence?

I think the 12" is great for mixing - the only way you can get that fantastic intro coming out of another record and watch it build. I love it........

Any more tips where that one came from LOL........?

What 12'' ... is it a bootleg :lol:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

What 12'' is it a bootleg :lol:

Nah, it was Neil Thompson who was inspired enough to do a 12" Re-Edit...........

You didn't play this on my show didja! I had to find the bugger myself........I had no idea you tipped it or that it's actually coming out shortly. A great record is a great record is a great record..........

Social source share

Nah, it was Neil Thompson who was inspired enough to do a 12" Re-Edit...........

You didn't play this on my show didja! I had to find the bugger myself........I had no idea you tipped it or that it's actually coming out shortly. A great record is a great record is a great record..........

Ian D :D

You should know this record Ian , its been a HUGE reactivation for three years since I tipped it . Even Butch played it !! :lol::)

Social source share

Guest fryer

What 12'' ... is it a bootleg :lol:

The "Edit" is just a loop of the intro build up, it goes up and down so don't work for me. It does not add tension or anticipation which is what you should do with an edit so it adds nothing to the original but confusion. Its a 10 min soundforge job.

Edited by fryer
Social source share

The "Edit" is just a loop of the intro build up, it goes up and down so don't work for me. It does not add tension or anticipation which is what you should do with an edit so it adds nothing to the original but confusion. Its a 10 min soundforge job.

In other words, its a shite remix !!? :lol:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Yeah, but there wasn't a great deal else he could really do with the tools at hand and you're a Funk merchant anyway LOL.... But I take your point. Knowing him it'll be a work in progress......

Good luck with the record regardless. Great tune.......

Social source share

Guest fryer

Yep, Fryer doesn't mince words does he LOL......? :lol:

Anyway I like it. Not a great deal of scope for doing much else without the master.........

The master is only 2 track stereo 1/4 inch so not much scope for restructuring the track, i don't really think it needs it anyway, usualy an edit is to take something horrible out (e.g manky 80s guitar solos), extend a certain part to add excitement or tension, extend breaks for dancers or to add parts 1 and 2 together. The track is pretty well structured already and there is no manky solo's thank god.

Edited by fryer
Social source share

The master is only 2 track stereo 1/4 inch so not much scope for restructuring the track, i don't really think it needs it anyway, usualy an edit is to take something horrible out (e.g manky 80s guitar solos) or to extend a certain part to add excitement or tension. The track is pretty well structured already and there is no manky solo's thank god.

Yep, definitely limited-scope for diddling around with it, not that it particularly needs it as you say. I only heard the original through Colin Dilnot's blog last week and it was just co-incidence that a mate e-mailed the re-edit through with some other stuff. That happens occasionally.

Hey, send me a 7" Fryer and I'll play that on the show instead! It'll give me an excuse to play it again LOL. One of the best records I've heard in a long time and I think it'll appeal to a few scenes......

Social source share

Guest fryer

Yep, definitely limited-scope for diddling around with it, not that it particularly needs it as you say. I only heard the original through Colin Dilnot's blog last week and it was just co-incidence that a mate e-mailed the re-edit through with some other stuff. That happens occasionally.

Hey, send me a 7" Fryer and I'll play that on the show instead! It'll give me an excuse to play it again LOL. One of the best records I've heard in a long time and I think it'll appeal to a few scenes......

Yes it had appeal right across the board soul / disco / moden / funk. I only have one TP here and its mine as a sold my original to pay for a coffee machine.

Edited by fryer
Social source share

Yes it had appeal right across the board soul / disco / moden / funk. I only have one TP here and its mine as a sold my original to pay for a coffee machine.

LOL, the cost of doing business these days. Glamourous isn't it? :lol:

I'll wait 'til you get your finished copies up then!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert