Modern Soul - Where Did The Term Come From?

• Replies 219
  • Views 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

This would be consistent with my review of old Blackbeats.

I can confirm the term was from SOUL SAM. I knew him from Wigan and he we corresponded between our paths crosing at all nighters etc such as Wigan in 1980 and Bedford Nite Spot. We were talking about modern soul records (Sam's phrase), and I encouraged him to write a column for Blackbeat.

Before his column the talk was of "70's" sounds and I wrote a column headed up "80s sounds and New releases". Thus I conclude that whilst we were talking about the same records it was young Mr Barnfather who coined the phrase "Modern Soul".

His first column was written at the end of 1980, and published on 15th March 1981 Issue 8. This would be entirely consistent with the Oak iN Shrewsbury timewise. I reprint parts of it here - this was Sam at his best....

"In this my first column I'll try to explain the current support for uptempo soul music, how I became involed and conclude with reviews of recent releases. Until virtually the present time the only venues programming new uptempo soul (as distinct from Jazz Funk) have been northern ones but the amount played has varied from Snaith (over 50%) to Wigan (10-20%). With the temporary demise of Snaith, my sacking from Wigan (for playing totally 70's and explaining my standpoint in a letter to Black Echoes) the percentage played is considerably less......

Not I believe through a lack of support from a sizeable minority, especially at Wigan, but the unwillingness of the majority to accept the inevitable - there must be acceptance of developments in black music on the rarer soul scene. Letters I've received from such widely scattered places...plus the people I already know suggest a large POTENTIAL following, which from others I've spoken to, could easily be swelled by more from the Jazz Funk scene who are into soul rather than exhibitionism!".....

Over 18 months ago while at John Anderson's SOUL BOWL I heard a tape with records on it like "Over the top" - James Mack, "I wanna spend some time with you" - Top Cat....in less than an hour I was hooked! These records HAD to be played, but it took months before I acquired such gems.

For the first time in years I was buying records not only because as great dancers they were useful for DJ purposes, but were also tremendous to listen to at home or on car cassettes. I was really involved in the music again.

Ever since I have made regular trips to obtain SOUL BOWL obscurities and more recently some from DAVE RAISTRICK and JOHN MANSHIP......

The very fact that the soulful quality of the vocals was so strong persuaded me to take a closer look at some of the more readily available major label 7" discs most of which came into the UK via Record Corner of Balham...or Soul Bowl. Avoiding Jazz Funk, apart from personal favourites, I soon found that week by week I was adding soulful uptempo items after hearing them at a shop in Wolverhampton (run by...Pep) which took Record Corner stock, in fact too many to playlist at once. These have included Alfie Davison....Dee Edwards, Chuck Strong, Charles Johnson....To me this is soul music for today; my interest as a collector has been renewed and judging from the number of copies some of the singles I have resold, others feel the same, realizing that high priced exclusiveness doesn't necessarily mean a great record!"

He then concludes with a few reviews including Daybreak, Tony Fox, Emannuel Lasky etc. Signing off "Till next time remember SOUL KEEPS MOVIN'ON"

So there you have it.

Interesting other snippets from that Issue. There were planned Grapevine releases for Eddie Holman "Where I'm not wanted", a reissue of the Tomangoes (which had been withdrawn, Joe Matthews and the Superbs though John had told me that releases had been delayed until April 1981! Rod Dearlove wrote a colum (this was pre Midnite Express remember) where he is questioning a £2.50 pricetag on Jimmy Mack on Palmer :D and starts his column "After the recent Wigan split will Sam call it a day"..... :D Got that one well wrong, and if you think that was bad I was speculating that the Top Cat cover up which we were all trying to locate, infact Larry Houston, might be Ace Spectrum - what a mess and how little we knew!

Steve

Brilliant stuff Steve...........all before my time, so great to read this!!

Spooky though, that that article could be re-written replacing the tunes mentioned with contemporary ones, to reflect how some of us feel now with the latest "uptempo soul" releases.......all that excitement all over again...........and resisted all over again, just like 20+ years ago!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Brilliant stuff Steve...........all before my time, so great to read this!!

Spooky though, that that article could be re-written replacing the tunes mentioned with contemporary ones, to reflect how some of us feel now with the latest "uptempo soul" releases.......all that excitement all over again...........and resisted all over again, just like 20+ years ago!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Ha Ha , I was thinking that Mark .. ( Sammy boy does buy the odd new release tune though as you well know from your Bass doo ) Some dont buy any at all !!

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

This would be consistent with my review of old Blackbeats.

I can confirm the term was from SOUL SAM. I knew him from Wigan and he we corresponded between our paths crosing at all nighters etc such as Wigan in 1980 and Bedford Nite Spot. We were talking about modern soul records (Sam's phrase), and I encouraged him to write a column for Blackbeat.

Before his column the talk was of "70's" sounds and I wrote a column headed up "80s sounds and New releases". Thus I conclude that whilst we were talking about the same records it was young Mr Barnfather who coined the phrase "Modern Soul".

His first column was written at the end of 1980, and published on 15th March 1981 Issue 8. This would be entirely consistent with the Oak iN Shrewsbury timewise. I reprint parts of it here - this was Sam at his best....

"In this my first column I'll try to explain the current support for uptempo soul music, how I became involed and conclude with reviews of recent releases. Until virtually the present time the only venues programming new uptempo soul (as distinct from Jazz Funk) have been northern ones but the amount played has varied from Snaith (over 50%) to Wigan (10-20%). With the temporary demise of Snaith, my sacking from Wigan (for playing totally 70's and explaining my standpoint in a letter to Black Echoes) the percentage played is considerably less......

Not I believe through a lack of support from a sizeable minority, especially at Wigan, but the unwillingness of the majority to accept the inevitable - there must be acceptance of developments in black music on the rarer soul scene. Letters I've received from such widely scattered places...plus the people I already know suggest a large POTENTIAL following, which from others I've spoken to, could easily be swelled by more from the Jazz Funk scene who are into soul rather than exhibitionism!".....

Over 18 months ago while at John Anderson's SOUL BOWL I heard a tape with records on it like "Over the top" - James Mack, "I wanna spend some time with you" - Top Cat....in less than an hour I was hooked! These records HAD to be played, but it took months before I acquired such gems.

For the first time in years I was buying records not only because as great dancers they were useful for DJ purposes, but were also tremendous to listen to at home or on car cassettes. I was really involved in the music again.

Ever since I have made regular trips to obtain SOUL BOWL obscurities and more recently some from DAVE RAISTRICK and JOHN MANSHIP......

The very fact that the soulful quality of the vocals was so strong persuaded me to take a closer look at some of the more readily available major label 7" discs most of which came into the UK via Record Corner of Balham...or Soul Bowl. Avoiding Jazz Funk, apart from personal favourites, I soon found that week by week I was adding soulful uptempo items after hearing them at a shop in Wolverhampton (run by...Pep) which took Record Corner stock, in fact too many to playlist at once. These have included Alfie Davison....Dee Edwards, Chuck Strong, Charles Johnson....To me this is soul music for today; my interest as a collector has been renewed and judging from the number of copies some of the singles I have resold, others feel the same, realizing that high priced exclusiveness doesn't necessarily mean a great record!"

He then concludes with a few reviews including Daybreak, Tony Fox, Emannuel Lasky etc. Signing off "Till next time remember SOUL KEEPS MOVIN'ON"

So there you have it.

Interesting other snippets from that Issue. There were planned Grapevine releases for Eddie Holman "Where I'm not wanted", a reissue of the Tomangoes (which had been withdrawn, Joe Matthews and the Superbs though John had told me that releases had been delayed until April 1981! Rod Dearlove wrote a colum (this was pre Midnite Express remember) where he is questioning a £2.50 pricetag on Jimmy Mack on Palmer
:D
and starts his column "After the recent Wigan split will Sam call it a day".....
:(
Got that one well wrong, and if you think that was bad I was speculating that the Top Cat cover up which we were all trying to locate, infact Larry Houston, might be Ace Spectrum - what a mess and how little we knew!

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm sure if Martin were on this forum he would confirm that Soul Sam DID NOT ,coin the pharse "modern soul ".

In the article you have so kindly re printed the term does not crop up once!

I'm sure he mentioned it to you in conversation, but I believe it's a term he picked up whilst DJing in Shrewsbury!

Rather than Soul Sam inventing modern soul I would go so far as to say modern soul re-invented Soul Sam!
:lol:

Cheers Paul Woosnam

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Hi Steve,

I'm sure if Martin were on this forum he would confirm that Soul Sam DID NOT ,coin the pharse "modern soul ".

In the article you have so kindly re printed the term does not crop up once!

I'm sure he mentioned it to you in conversation, but I believe it's a term he picked up whilst DJing in Shrewsbury!

Rather than Soul Sam inventing modern soul I would go so far as to say modern soul re-invented Soul Sam!
blush.gif

Cheers Paul Woosnam

Paul I should have mentioned the article title was:

"MODERN SOUL SCENE"

Steve

Social source share

Paul I should have mentioned the article title was:

"MODERN SOUL SCENE"

Steve

Er yes Steve had you mentioned that I would have worded my reply somewhat differently
blush.gif

Still believe the Shrewsbury collective coined the phrase tho'.

I'm sure they were using the term prior to the ad in Black Echoes but didn't want to mention it because I don't have any documented evidence, which is what Simon's after. Unfortunately none of them are on 'ere to put their case.

I'll try and do some "research" later.

Are you in touch with Sam? Would be worth asking him I think (maybe better not to mention computer forum's tho'!!!)

Cheers Paul

Social source share

I reckon what we have is good enough. blush.gif Its one of those situations where the actually 'first' mention of the term is almost not the point...it was just to pinpoint the time the term had come from really. Is it safe to say it came from the Shrewsbury collective generally circa 1980 and then Sam named his column after it?

Bit of info wanted... were Jay Player 'Love Is The Answer' on Bevnik Cut Glass 'Alive With Love' on Earhole, Geraldine Hunt 'Look All Around', Carol Jiani 'Ask Me' and Mikki Farrow 'Itching For Love' on Emerald ever played on the Modern scene?

I heard Carol Jiani (cover of Ecstasy Passion and Pain) played at Hinckley Leisure Centre once as part of a mixed Northern set in the mid eighties...was it know on the Modern scene?

Social source share

I reckon what we have is good enough.
blush.gif
Its one of those situations where the actually 'first' mention of the term is almost not the point...it was just to pinpoint the time the term had come from really. Is it safe to say it came from the Shrewsbury collective generally circa 1980 and then Sam named his column after it?

Good enough for me Simon

Social source share

Er yes Steve had you mentioned that I would have worded my reply somewhat differently

I'm sure they were using the term prior to the ad in Black Echoes but didn't want to mention it because I don't have any documented evidence, which is what Simon's after. Unfortunately none of them are on 'ere to put their case.

Are you in touch with Sam? Would be worth asking him I think (maybe better not to mention computer forum's tho'!!!)

Cheers Paul

Well he knows what Jimjams he still wears :D:Dunsure.gif

Just havin a laugh Steve :D

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Bit of info wanted... were Jay Player 'Love Is The Answer' on Bevnik Cut Glass 'Alive With Love' on Earhole, Geraldine Hunt 'Look All Around', Carol Jiani 'Ask Me' and Mikki Farrow 'Itching For Love' on Emerald ever played on the Modern scene?

Simon, Cut Glass was a very big record at the Steve Croft do's early' 80's - Cleethorpes Prt II, Bradford Bensons, etc. Jay Player got a lot of play at the early Weekender's very late '80's I seem to remember.

Social source share

Geraldine Hunt "look all around " was a resonable hit on release . I think it got UK issue too , as Im sure my sister has a copy :thumbsup: Dont remember it being featured by modern scene jocks , but I may be wrong .

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Gelerdine Hunt deffo got a UK release. I'm trying to work out the difference in sounds i.e. uptempo and mid tempo and where and when the really slow sounds start to come into it like the 2 step stuff.

Its also interesting how so many of these records have 'Northern' connections too as in artists and producers who'd been active in the 60's as well.

Was Cut Glass played from the 20th Century 12" ?

Social source share

Gelerdine Hunt deffo got a UK release. I'm trying to work out the difference in sounds i.e. uptempo and mid tempo and where and when the really slow sounds start to come into it like the 2 step stuff.Its also interesting how so many of these records have 'Northern' connections too as in artists and producers who'd been active in the 60's as well.

The slower stepper stuff came into vogue around late 1984 . The tempo had slowed considerably in normal soul clubs too like Flicks . eg . Controllers Stay. Around 87 Searling took the pace of the modern soul dancefloors to lets say swaying mode .

The 2 step scene started in London 84/85ish and included many of the now , crossover/70's ..Having said that ,Im not sure what crossover is LOL

The Modern Scene ,in the 80's always had a variety of tempo's that's what made it great !

Most deejays got the blend of tempos just right ..

I think most had the Cut Class 7 , as the 12 was sort after by completely different scene .

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Interesting, because the slower stuff must coincide with the 'rare groove' thing then. I've always assumed the playing of slower sounds on the Modern soul scene was also largely driven by what was being played in the South of the country and has a more West Indian influence...records like Paris (there's that Northern connection again ! ) Starpoint and Natures Divine (is that earlier?).

Social source share

I think the slower sounds just came into vogue in USA with producers . The Rare Groove scene was a kick back at the Tony Blackburn and Caister scenes ,. I met Johnathan Moore at John Andersons early 1984 and on the train back he told me about his doo's . Amazing gigs with Electro and Go Go played alongside Funk jazz , very early House and modern soul !!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Would definately agree the slower sounds came from the shift in productions tempos in the US, but at the same time those productions went more 'electronic' which might explain the rise in popularity of 'rare groove' and to some extent 'Go Go' too. I bet there's lots of untouched gems lurking amongst the (less formula bound) Go Go stuff. The current 'Steppers' sound is in danger of going down the same predictable route I think

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

No the original Rare groove scene thrived on Electronic production too . The retro Funk , jazz and soul that was just a part of it . Coldcut DJ Johnanthan could play Shannon , Eddie Bo , then Ronnie Mcnier ( new lp) to packed dancefloors . in one spot

One of the Best DJ's ever Johnathan Moore . !! :thumbsup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Would definately agree the slower sounds came from the shift in productions tempos in the US, but at the same time those productions went more 'electronic' which might explain the rise in popularity of 'rare groove' and to some extent 'Go Go' too. I bet there's lots of untouched gems lurking amongst the (less formula bound) Go Go stuff. The current 'Steppers' sound is in danger of going down the same predictable route I think

Time to start the Go Go thread then Simon, now that you've dropped the bomb! Try to be cool y'all.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

I played it at Cleethorpes, Bradford etc from the 7". I had the 12" as well at the time but thought the 7 was a better mix... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

Time to start the Go Go thread then Simon, now that you've dropped the bomb! Try to be cool y'all.

Yes Simon,And perhaps you should play some at Newquay,"SOUTH WEST COME TO BOOGIE" :thumbsup:
Social source share

Cheers Paul

Maybe the first person to use the term "Modern soul" was a "beatnick" in a "duffell coat" describing the then new "Tamla Motown" releases :D c 1964.

In all fairness whilst I think Sam coined the phrase (as he was writing to me and others about it before his article, and his article appeared at the taile end of 1980), he may have heard someone else mention it (e.g. the Collective). I certainly think his column was the first major "manifestation" of the term in "polite society".

I am still in regular contact with the lad, but I'd wager that if I asked him a mixture of "modesty" and "LTML" (Long term memory loss) may not help us drill any further into this. Steve

Maybe the first person to use the term "Modern soul" was a "beatnick" in a "duffell coat" describing the then new "Tamla Motown" releases :D c 1964.

In all fairness whilst I think Sam coined the phrase (as he was writing to me and others about it before his article, and his article appeared at my editorial desk :D at the tail end of 1980), he may have heard someone else mention it (e.g. the Collective). I certainly think his column was the first major "manifestation" of the term in "polite society".

I am still in regular contact with the lad, but I'd wager that if I asked him a mixture of "modesty" and "LTML" (Long term memory loss) may not help us drill any further into this. Steve

Edited

Social source share

Not sure I agree that the rare groove thing embraced electro, Simon. Yes that stuff was around at the same time and yes there were places you could hear an across the board selection that included the lot. But surely 'Rare Groove' was about older, collectable soulful or funky records? Blues and Soul DJ charts from around the time make for interesting reading.

But that diversity of music and tempo in one venue was great. Doesn't happen so easily now I suppose.

No the original Rare groove scene thrived on Electronic production too . The retro Funk , jazz and soul that was just a part of it . Coldcut DJ Johnanthan could play Shannon , Eddie Bo , then Ronnie Mcnier ( new lp) to packed dancefloors . in one spot

One of the Best DJ's ever Johnathan Moore . !! :D

Social source share

Maybe the first person to use the term "Modern soul" was a "beatnick" in a "duffell coat" describing the then new "Tamla Motown" releases
c 1964.

In all fairness whilst I think Sam coined the phrase (as he was writing to me and others about it before his article, and his article appeared at the taile end of 1980), he may have heard someone else mention it (e.g. the Collective). I certainly think his column was the first major "manifestation" of the term in "polite society".

Edited

Steve,

In the same Black Echoes with the ad for the Oak modern soul night(14-3-81) there's an ad for an all-nighter at Brum Locarno featuring northern,funk and upstairs "Soul Sam's 70's Scene" supported by Arthur Fenn.

Seems strange to me that if Sam coined the phrase then why not to use it ?

While the Shrewsbury collective were!

Cheers Paul

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Johnathan Moore and Norman Jay more or less started the Rare Groove scene , they embraced Electronic productions , ( some electronic stuff is obsure and rare even back in the 80's ask soulfulsaint ) :D the Modern Soul scene certainly embraced electronic productions too .

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Johnathan Moore and Norman Jay more or less started the Rare Groove scene , they embraced Electronic productions , ( some electronic stuff is obsure and rare even back in the 80's ask soulfulsaint ) :D the Modern Soul scene certainly embraced electronic productions too .

No doubt there were modern soul tracks with electronics..but rare groove electronics? Any examples?

Social source share

Yes Simon,And perhaps you should play some at Newquay,"SOUTH WEST COME TO BOOGIE" :lol:

I might drop 'Put Your Right Hand In The Air, Put Your Left Down In Your Underwear' and see what happens.

Social source share

Johnathan Moore and Norman Jay more or less started the Rare Groove scene , they embraced Electronic productions , ( some electronic stuff is obsure and rare even back in the 80's ask soulfulsaint ) :lol: the Modern Soul scene certainly embraced electronic productions too .

At about the same time can remeber, Rock City alldayers, with Colin Curtis and Cleveland Anderson playing lots of electronic productions

Social source share

think it was "Man oh Man"

The record in question is..Walter & The Untouchables "Can't Stop Loving You" Apollo, ferocious 400 mph stomper, Guy never had Walter & The Admerations, that was Pat Brady he played the "Life Of Tears" side, "Man O Man" was a later spin for Butch c/u as R.Davis & G. Tyler, now I'll let you get back to the modern soul story. :lol:

Social source share

I certianly remember it in clubs I went to - bought it at the time and definately the better side. But I had a feeling 'Look All Around' was played as an uptempo kind of Modern/ Northern thing.

Did the (in my opinion superior) flipside get any plays ("Can't Shake The Feeling") or was that more of a Garage/Loft kinda thing? Love that tune. :lol:
Social source share

Steve,

In the same Black Echoes with the ad for the Oak modern soul night(14-3-81) there's an ad for an all-nighter at Brum Locarno featuring northern,funk and upstairs "Soul Sam's 70's Scene" supported by Arthur Fenn.

Seems strange to me that if Sam coined the phrase then why not to use it ?

While the Shrewsbury collective were!

Cheers Paul

Can only assume the Locarno promotor didn't subscribe to Blackbeat then!

The description "Soul Sam's 70's scene" sounds a very ham fisted description to me and I doubt that Sam had any say in how it was described in the ads.

I am afraid Sam's Blackbeat article was the first time I have heard the phrase, and that pre-dates T'Oak. Maybe it was one of those things that just came into common usage at that time.

Social source share

The record in question is..Walter & The Untouchables "Can't Stop Loving You" Apollo, ferocious 400 mph stomper, Guy never had Walter & The Admerations, that was Pat Brady he played the "Life Of Tears" side, "Man O Man" was a later spin for Butch c/u as R.Davis & G. Tyler, now I'll let you get back to the modern soul story. whistling.gif

I thought that .. but then I edited to the Admirations (after someone far more into 60's had said ) anyone got a soundfile ?

+++++++++++++++

The Original rare groove scene ( The gigs Coldcut were involved in Meltdown etc ) incorparated a lot of electro productions .. two examples a rare one by, MB and the Rome Jeffries 12( a soul sam fav :thumbsup: ) replayed 18 months after its release, quite hard to get , a record way ahead of its time .. Rare groove 1984 was not only about Retro Funk & Soul ..and most of the records were not really ultra rare :lol: JA had every title , boxes of em and sometimes gave away the 12's that he had on promo of early house and electro

Cheers

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I read that Norman had referred his Rare Groove on a Jappie mag, not here at the moment. Will post it if I can translate it well. As far as I remember, he said that Rare Groove is not rare record or music, it's just his ordinally, yesterday's new release. So electric tracks are not so strange on the term, I guess.

Social source share

I hold my hands up!

It was me that first played Cut Glass "Alive With Love" on 20th Century 45 at Cleethorpes. I know that a few other jocks got copies later and it became a pretty big record at the Winter Gardens for a short while.

I seem to remember I reviewed it in Steve's BlackBeat Magazine in my 'East Coast Connection' columns. It would be good to see what other goodies were reviewed as my other big Cleethorpes (Modern Soul) tunes of the time, but I dont think I have copies.

Anyone help?

Steve?

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

I hold my hands up!

It was me that first played Cut Glass "Alive With Love" on 20th Century 45 at Cleethorpes. I know that a few other jocks got copies later and it became a pretty big record at the Winter Gardens for a short while.

I seem to remember I reviewed it in Steve's BlackBeat Magazine in my 'East Coast Connection' columns. It would be good to see what other goodies were reviewed as my other big Cleethorpes (Modern Soul) tunes of the time, but I dont think I have copies.

Anyone help?

Steve?

Sean Hampsey

Sean I shall have a look for you, but now you mention it I do seem to recall you reviewing it. At some stage I intend to reproduce some of those early day articles on here, as I know most people don't have access to the earliest Blackbeats anymore, and they are fascinating to look back on nearly 25 years later. Just a matter of time.

Social source share

Sean I shall have a look for you, but now you mention it I do seem to recall you reviewing it. At some stage I intend to reproduce some of those early day articles on here, as I know most people don't have access to the earliest Blackbeats anymore, and they are fascinating to look back on nearly 25 years later. Just a matter of time.

Nice new gloss re-issue please ... I dont mind a legit re-issue

:P

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Nice new gloss re-issue please ... I dont mind a legit re-issue

:P

Yeah, if you read it on a webpage or download the article you're not upholding the ethics of soul magazines of years gone by. Imagine the toil and hardship that Steve G had to go through and the spirit he must have had to type that out on paper, using one finger to press down very hard on old typewriter keys, and he probably had to make a 70 foot round trip from his bedroom to the lounge because that's the only place his Mam would have the typewriter, there was none of this interweb and computers in every room carry on as like what there is now. He didn't have it easy in those days didn't Steve G, but it was his spirit and all the physical effort he put into his articles that made them so good, not what what was formulated in an intelligent mind and transferred to paper. And reading articles on a website that have been cut and pasted or scanned in is lazy and is not how they were meant to be read - make the effort, pay that bit more money for petrol and get out to a venue and buy an original first issue printed magazine. It's a disgrace a tell thi', you article readers of today have no standards or passion about your article reading. :yes:

Social source share

Yeah, if you read it on a webpage or download the article you're not upholding the ethics of soul magazines of years gone by. Imagine the toil and hardship that Steve G had to go through and the spirit he must have had to type that out on paper, using one finger to press down very hard on old typewriter keys, and he probably had to make a 70 foot round trip from his bedroom to the lounge because that's the only place his Mam would have the typewriter, there was none of this interweb and computers in every room carry on as like what there is now. He didn't have it easy in those days didn't Steve G, but it was his spirit and all the physical effort he put into his articles that made them so good, not what what was formulated in an intelligent mind and transferred to paper. And reading articles on a website that have been cut and pasted or scanned in is lazy and is not how they were meant to be read - make the effort, pay that bit more money for petrol and get out to a venue and buy an original first issue printed magazine. It's a disgrace a tell thi', you article readers of today have no standards or passion about your article reading. :yes:

Well ok Rog ya nutter I never knew you felt like that :P , how about a Blackbeat website , with pay 4 downloads , Steve could make a fortune ..

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Well ok Rog ya nutter I never knew you felt like that :yes: , how about a Blackbeat website , with pay 4 downloads , Steve could make a fortune ..

Nah I'd do it for free Simon. I was even thinking of employing someone to do it though haven't quite got used to the prospect of spending too much money on the process :P

What Rog neglects is

1) lifting said typewriter up and down

2) tippexing typos

3) cut and pasting onto sheets of A3

4) getting a "photocopy" shop to reduce down to A4 (not the easiest task in those days!)

5a) getting it to printers

or

5b) scanning on a gestetner scanner

5c) setting up the "scanned page" on gestetner and printing (what a messy job that was)

5 a b c depend on time, as we used both methods

6a) getting box loads of printed paper back home via tube and train with nothing more than a hand luggage trolley in the period we used outside printer

7) collating / ordering the pages

8) stapling it all together

9) writing out addresses (no fancy computer labels) or spreadsheets

10) lugging them down the Post office

Boy those pre PC days were something!

Social source share

Guest Dodger

:P Quality stuff Steve lad!!

In my job when 'a were a lad' I used to set metal type in a contraption called a composing stick. Give me the Apple Mac ANY TIME!!!!! :P:yes::D

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

Thanks Steve,

A Gentleman and a True Scholar!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Thanks Steve,

A Gentleman and a True Scholar!

:ohmy:

Sean

Here is the East Coast Connection article from Issue 4 of NEW Blackbeat - June 1983 - authored by Sean Hampsey

The Number 1 Nighter Cleethorpes Winter Gardens under the guidance of Steve Croft includes a policy of programming easily obtainable under promoted soul music. This had an amazing impact on the scene last year with Cleethorpes monsters gaining strong positions in the Blackbeat 1982 Readers Poll. Annis, Norman Connors, Dramatics, Mandrill, Rufus, and Finished Touch (sic) were played and accepted with great enthusiasm, breaking down the rare soul only barrier and giving the patrons an opportunity to obtain some of the big records without having to shell out a small fortune or wait 6 months until copies are two a penny - know what I mean?

Cleethorpes' policy is firmly based on programming and promoting records regardless of scarcity, not with a view that a rare soul record is naturally bad, but that rarity should not be the primary factor affecting a records acceptance or rejection, and that availability should not be the yardstick by which a sound is standardized or judged. In other words, if it sounds right - that's enough. The following are all doing well or are about to do big things on the scene. Nothing expensive, or hard to find, so go get 'em.

Leon & Whispers Gonna love you more" C/U

Got to be the biggest thing at Cleggy since Norman Connors. A modern soul stomper which has had the rare soul buffs scratching their forelocks for two months now; infact not hard to find but certainly hard to follow. Edit the smooth intro and we're into bags of breaks along the way with rhythm changes by the score. Now exclusively revealed as being by The Whispers; from the Solar LP "It's a love thing"!! Featuring of course Leon Sylvers on Bass, which goes to show the lunacy and unimportance of cover ups! I was offered £20 for mine, did I sell? No way, a real kick in the arse.

LTD "You must have known I needed love" (A&M)

From the 1978 LP "Togetherness" featuring Jeffrey Osbourne in tremendous form on this Grey & Hanks penned killer. The standout tracvk on this LP which spurned funk gems in "Jam" and "Together forever" far more appropriate for our scene than the brilliant "Love magic". In fact this packed the Winter Gardens Floor first time out, and had Neil Page bouncing off of the walls! Well you can imagine!

Cut Glass "Alive with love" (20th Century)

Soulful femme vocals over a bass / synth backing. The A side "Without your love" did club business in 1980, but "Alive" is definitely the Cleethorpes sound in 1983. Long instrumental break in the third quarter with weird space effects and then she cuts loose again "how I wish that my lips could say the things that my heart can feel". 12" or 7" simply wizard!

High Fashion "Hold On" (Capitol)

Now then, from the "Feeling lucky lately" gang, this throbbing Kashif number is a real clincher for me and was accepted by the dancers immediately (Eric). Stronger vocals than other HF tracks, over a heavy backbeat which never lets up. Purchased from Mick Godfrey and a damn good quid's worth.

Eloise Laws "1,000 Laughs" (ABC)

Bought from Mary Chapman with the slogan "Dedicated to all those who used to be on the northern soul scene", and flip of "Number One" from 1978, and an under-rated track from the "If you don't watch out" lady. Skips along at a fair pace and injected with a generous dose of good old soul, peel an onion and shed a tear to this.

Gil Scott Heron with Pretty Purdie & Playboys "Lady day and John Coltrane" (Flying Dutchman / Philips)

Reactivated to coincide with the chappies controversial UK tour, this is an oddity which Steve Croft and Darren are hammering. Takes a few plays to grab you but it's certainly doing the biz at Cleggy so far, just thought I'd let you know!

Stargard "I'll always love you" (MCA)

This is going to be huge. No ifs, no buts, from 1978 the "Which way is up" LP, a SOUL singalong track of superior quality featuring Rochelle Runnels, Debra Anderson and Janice Williams, who deliver the vocals with the power of a neutron bomb, imagine Shirley Brown and Aretha rolled into one, you got the picture. Don't be put off by their image, this is devastating. Phew!

Ruby Wilson "The feeling's still there" (Malaco / UK Magnet)

Top side is the Randy Goodrum song "Bluer than blue", an improvement on the Frankie Gearing version on Beale St which leans heavily to C&W; Ruby's version is heavy soul, however "The feeling" follows the Lorraine Johnson pattern in that it is fast and aggressive with lots of ginger beer and at ten bob (50p) a shot not to be missed (don't tell Record Collector £30 is slightly too much to pay for this!)...Sean Hampsey

Other interesting snippets from this issue Randy Cozens Star Pick was Big Maybelles "Oh Lord what are you doing to me"; Clarkey looked at Kent Harris and Ty Karim, Dave Thorley wrote an article on Clifford Curry, Trev Swaine gave us Bill Brandon and Sam Dees discographies, Jan Barker in "The Deeper side" was raving over Eddie Parker's "If you must go", there was some controversy over some comments made by Soul Sam on Funk, a lengthy letter from Tony Rounce, and amongst Sam's reviews....Mind & Matter, Michael A Smith, Image, and Cecil Lyde. He concludes with a review of the then new "Love Town" by Booker Newbury III...

Steve

Social source share

Great Steve.

I must have this issue cos some of it is familiar. Seem to remember that Whispers album track only came out on an Italian or Spanish 12". Never actually heard it.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Great Steve.

I must have this issue cos some of it is familiar. Seem to remember that Whispers album track only came out on an Italian or Spanish 12". Never actually heard it.

I have a US 7" of this on Solar, posted a scan up before but can't find it now.... :ohmy:

Social source share

Great Steve.

Tis a very good record and worthy of attention / reactivation by an inspired oldies jock.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert