Modern Soul - Where Did The Term Come From?

Here is the East Coast Connection article from Issue 4 of NEW Blackbeat - June 1983 - authored by Sean Hampsey

The Number 1 Nighter Cleethorpes Winter Gardens under the guidance of Steve Croft includes a policy of programming easily obtainable under promoted soul music. This had an amazing impact on the scene last year with Cleethorpes monsters gaining strong positions in the Blackbeat 1982 Readers Poll. Annis, Norman Connors, Dramatics, Mandrill, Rufus, and Finished Touch (sic) were played and accepted with great enthusiasm, breaking down the rare soul only barrier and giving the patrons an opportunity to obtain some of the big records without having to shell out a small fortune or wait 6 months until copies are two a penny - know what I mean?

Cleethorpes' policy is firmly based on programming and promoting records regardless of scarcity, not with a view that a rare soul record is naturally bad, but that rarity should not be the primary factor affecting a records acceptance or rejection, and that availability should not be the yardstick by which a sound is standardized or judged. In other words, if it sounds right - that's enough. The following are all doing well or are about to do big things on the scene. Nothing expensive, or hard to find, so go get 'em.

Leon & Whispers Gonna love you more" C/U

Got to be the biggest thing at Cleggy since Norman Connors. A modern soul stomper which has had the rare soul buffs scratching their forelocks for two months now; infact not hard to find but certainly hard to follow. Edit the smooth intro and we're into bags of breaks along the way with rhythm changes by the score. Now exclusively revealed as being by The Whispers; from the Solar LP "It's a love thing"!! Featuring of course Leon Sylvers on Bass, which goes to show the lunacy and unimportance of cover ups! I was offered £20 for mine, did I sell? No way, a real kick in the arse.

LTD "You must have known I needed love" (A&M)

From the 1978 LP "Togetherness" featuring Jeffrey Osbourne in tremendous form on this Grey & Hanks penned killer. The standout tracvk on this LP which spurned funk gems in "Jam" and "Together forever" far more appropriate for our scene than the brilliant "Love magic". In fact this packed the Winter Gardens Floor first time out, and had Neil Page bouncing off of the walls! Well you can imagine!

Cut Glass "Alive with love" (20th Century)

Soulful femme vocals over a bass / synth backing. The A side "Without your love" did club business in 1980, but "Alive" is definitely the Cleethorpes sound in 1983. Long instrumental break in the third quarter with weird space effects and then she cuts loose again "how I wish that my lips could say the things that my heart can feel". 12" or 7" simply wizard!

High Fashion "Hold On" (Capitol)

Now then, from the "Feeling lucky lately" gang, this throbbing Kashif number is a real clincher for me and was accepted by the dancers immediately (Eric). Stronger vocals than other HF tracks, over a heavy backbeat which never lets up. Purchased from Mick Godfrey and a damn good quid's worth.

Eloise Laws "1,000 Laughs" (ABC)

Bought from Mary Chapman with the slogan "Dedicated to all those who used to be on the northern soul scene", and flip of "Number One" from 1978, and an under-rated track from the "If you don't watch out" lady. Skips along at a fair pace and injected with a generous dose of good old soul, peel an onion and shed a tear to this.

Gil Scott Heron with Pretty Purdie & Playboys "Lady day and John Coltrane" (Flying Dutchman / Philips)

Reactivated to coincide with the chappies controversial UK tour, this is an oddity which Steve Croft and Darren are hammering. Takes a few plays to grab you but it's certainly doing the biz at Cleggy so far, just thought I'd let you know!

Stargard "I'll always love you" (MCA)

This is going to be huge. No ifs, no buts, from 1978 the "Which way is up" LP, a SOUL singalong track of superior quality featuring Rochelle Runnels, Debra Anderson and Janice Williams, who deliver the vocals with the power of a neutron bomb, imagine Shirley Brown and Aretha rolled into one, you got the picture. Don't be put off by their image, this is devastating. Phew!

Ruby Wilson "The feeling's still there" (Malaco / UK Magnet)

Top side is the Randy Goodrum song "Bluer than blue", an improvement on the Frankie Gearing version on Beale St which leans heavily to C&W; Ruby's version is heavy soul, however "The feeling" follows the Lorraine Johnson pattern in that it is fast and aggressive with lots of ginger beer and at ten bob (50p) a shot not to be missed (don't tell Record Collector £30 is slightly too much to pay for this!)...Sean Hampsey

Other interesting snippets from this issue Randy Cozens Star Pick was Big Maybelles "Oh Lord what are you doing to me"; Clarkey looked at Kent Harris and Ty Karim, Dave Thorley wrote an article on Clifford Curry, Trev Swaine gave us Bill Brandon and Sam Dees discographies, Jan Barker in "The Deeper side" was raving over Eddie Parker's "If you must go", there was some controversy over some comments made by Soul Sam on Funk, a lengthy letter from Tony Rounce, and amongst Sam's reviews....Mind & Matter, Michael A Smith, Image, and Cecil Lyde. He concludes with a review of the then new "Love Town" by Booker Newbury III...

Steve

This is brill Steve..............your busting years of mystery here for me mate.............completing C90 track lisitings for me that I were given back then, before I got into new releases, being into Northern heavily then. Said C90's were part of my turning to new release stuff, and some of the titles I never got to the bottom of (obviously didn't try too hard!!).............as soon as I saw the Whispers and LTD cut titles, I could hear the songs in my head and thought "how the hell did I not twig that it was the Scott's and JO on those tracks!!". C'est la vie! Thanks a million mate! (& you of course, Sean!) :unsure::ohmy::ohmy:

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

• Replies 219
  • Views 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

This is brill Steve..............your busting years of mystery here for me mate.............completing C90 track lisitings for me that I were given back then, before I got into new releases, being into Northern heavily then. Said C90's were part of my turning to new release stuff, and some of the titles I never got to the bottom of (obviously didn't try too hard!!).............as soon as I saw the Whispers and LTD cut titles, I could hear the songs in my head and thought "how the hell did I not twig that it was the Scott's and JO on those tracks!!". C'est la vie! Thanks a million mate! (& you of course, Sean!) :ohmy::ohmy::unsure:

Cheers,

Mark R

Cheers Mark - another early article tomorrow, one from 1980 in fact. :lol:

Social source share

This is brill Steve..............your busting years of mystery here for me mate.............completing C90 track lisitings for me that I were given back then, before I got into new releases, being into Northern heavily then. Said C90's were part of my turning to new release stuff, and some of the titles I never got to the bottom of (obviously didn't try too hard!!).............as soon as I saw the Whispers and LTD cut titles, I could hear the songs in my head and thought "how the hell did I not twig that it was the Scott's and JO on those tracks!!". C'est la vie! Thanks a million mate! (& you of course, Sean!) :ohmy::ohmy::unsure:

Cheers,

Mark R

Theres some other great tracks on that Whispers Lp too one was big in london :lol:

A stepper !

Social source share

Here is the East Coast Connection article from Issue 4 of NEW Blackbeat - June 1983 - authored by Sean Hampsey

The Number 1 Nighter Cleethorpes Winter Gardens under the guidance of Steve Croft includes a policy of programming easily obtainable under promoted soul music. This had an amazing impact on the scene last year with Cleethorpes monsters gaining strong positions in the Blackbeat 1982 Readers Poll. Annis, Norman Connors, Dramatics, Mandrill, Rufus, and Finished Touch (sic) were played and accepted with great enthusiasm, breaking down the rare soul only barrier and giving the patrons an opportunity to obtain some of the big records without having to shell out a small fortune or wait 6 months until copies are two a penny - know what I mean?

Cleethorpes' policy is firmly based on programming and promoting records regardless of scarcity, not with a view that a rare soul record is naturally bad, but that rarity should not be the primary factor affecting a records acceptance or rejection, and that availability should not be the yardstick by which a sound is standardized or judged. In other words, if it sounds right - that's enough. The following are all doing well or are about to do big things on the scene. Nothing expensive, or hard to find, so go get 'em.

Leon & Whispers Gonna love you more" C/U

Got to be the biggest thing at Cleggy since Norman Connors. A modern soul stomper which has had the rare soul buffs scratching their forelocks for two months now; infact not hard to find but certainly hard to follow. Edit the smooth intro and we're into bags of breaks along the way with rhythm changes by the score. Now exclusively revealed as being by The Whispers; from the Solar LP "It's a love thing"!! Featuring of course Leon Sylvers on Bass, which goes to show the lunacy and unimportance of cover ups! I was offered £20 for mine, did I sell? No way, a real kick in the arse.

LTD "You must have known I needed love" (A&M)

From the 1978 LP "Togetherness" featuring Jeffrey Osbourne in tremendous form on this Grey & Hanks penned killer. The standout tracvk on this LP which spurned funk gems in "Jam" and "Together forever" far more appropriate for our scene than the brilliant "Love magic". In fact this packed the Winter Gardens Floor first time out, and had Neil Page bouncing off of the walls! Well you can imagine!

Cut Glass "Alive with love" (20th Century)

Soulful femme vocals over a bass / synth backing. The A side "Without your love" did club business in 1980, but "Alive" is definitely the Cleethorpes sound in 1983. Long instrumental break in the third quarter with weird space effects and then she cuts loose again "how I wish that my lips could say the things that my heart can feel". 12" or 7" simply wizard!

High Fashion "Hold On" (Capitol)

Now then, from the "Feeling lucky lately" gang, this throbbing Kashif number is a real clincher for me and was accepted by the dancers immediately (Eric). Stronger vocals than other HF tracks, over a heavy backbeat which never lets up. Purchased from Mick Godfrey and a damn good quid's worth.

Bought from Mary Chapman with the slogan "Dedicated to all those who used to be on the northern soul scene", and flip of "Number One" from 1978, and an under-rated track from the "If you don't watch out" lady. Skips along at a fair pace and injected with a generous dose of good old soul, peel an onion and shed a tear to this.

Gil Scott Heron with Pretty Purdie & Playboys "Lady day and John Coltrane" (Flying Dutchman / Philips)

Reactivated to coincide with the chappies controversial UK tour, this is an oddity which Steve Croft and Darren are hammering. Takes a few plays to grab you but it's certainly doing the biz at Cleggy so far, just thought I'd let you know!

Stargard "I'll always love you" (MCA)

This is going to be huge. No ifs, no buts, from 1978 the "Which way is up" LP, a SOUL singalong track of superior quality featuring Rochelle Runnels, Debra Anderson and Janice Williams, who deliver the vocals with the power of a neutron bomb, imagine Shirley Brown and Aretha rolled into one, you got the picture. Don't be put off by their image, this is devastating. Phew!

Ruby Wilson "The feeling's still there" (Malaco / UK Magnet)

Top side is the Randy Goodrum song "Bluer than blue", an improvement on the Frankie Gearing version on Beale St which leans heavily to C&W; Ruby's version is heavy soul, however "The feeling" follows the Lorraine Johnson pattern in that it is fast and aggressive with lots of ginger beer and at ten bob (50p) a shot not to be missed (don't tell Record Collector £30 is slightly too much to pay for this!)...Sean Hampsey

Other interesting snippets from this issue Randy Cozens Star Pick was Big Maybelles "Oh Lord what are you doing to me"; Clarkey looked at Kent Harris and Ty Karim, Dave Thorley wrote an article on Clifford Curry, Trev Swaine gave us Bill Brandon and Sam Dees discographies, Jan Barker in "The Deeper side" was raving over Eddie Parker's "If you must go", there was some controversy over some comments made by Soul Sam on Funk, a lengthy letter from Tony Rounce, and amongst Sam's reviews....Mind & Matter, Michael A Smith, Image, and Cecil Lyde. He concludes with a review of the then new "Love Town" by Booker Newbury III...

Steve

Incredible stuff Steve!

Can't believe you actually took the time to RETYPE it all over again 23 years later!

As I hoped, nothing too embarrassing there after all this time.

Particularly saddened though that the Stargard "I'll Always Love You" never really took off... a record that could still have its day on the Northern scene (if some DJ's were open minded enough to play something so 'new' :D ) ... especially after the "This is going to be huge.... No ifs, no buts" statement... (I've since become more cautious with my Top Tips).

Eloise Laws "1,000 Laughs" also never really happened for me despite the heavy plugging way back when... Who knows then...perhaps the next "Kiss Your Love Goodbye"?

The others though were all pretty monstrous tunes, at Cleethorpes, within weeks of the articles appearance.

Many thanks for the memories and for putting in the effort Steve.

You are Really Something!

:D:D:D

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Mark yes will do that.

Cheers Sean.

Here is a really ancient article from mid 1980 just when we were getting into these new releases. I was quite a young thing back then so these were literallyt reviews of the latest soulful releases. Interesting because a few of them went on to become sizeable scene sounds - at the time they were just new releases. This was before Sam's column in Blackbeat, though we did know each other and were talking and corresponding about the same records back then. Suppliers were mostly Soul Bowl and John Manship.

July 1980 Old Blackbeat Issue 4

Recent Releases Reviewed - 80's Soul by Steve Guarnori

Rudy Stewart "I wanna love you all over" (Delmar Intl)

Written and produced by NY's Delmar Donnell, comes this late 1979 release. Described as a left field dancer, the voice has to be heard to be believed. An electric backing and nice break - but what a voice - screaming with soul.

Love Committee "I made a mistake" (MCA)

Now well known for the LP "Boogie Papers", this record from Feb 80 has the lot. Tied up with the O'Jays (as they are) the Love Committee really get to grips with this one. A rather slick beat with some fine singing from the group.

Charles Johnson "Never had a love so good" (Alston)

B side to "Baby I cried" this came out in April in the States. Quite laid back with a nice mid tempo pace of soul - again a fine voice (where are they all coming from) as Charles compliments his missus. Nice electric piano and all.

Masqueraders "Desire" (Bang)

Guitar intro, then strings, then these stalwarts come busting in "Desire is burning in my heart for you". Good full force vocals on this March release "Imagination working overtime". There's a good instrumental bit in the middle, this sounds made for the US Top 30!

Collins & Collins "Please don't break my heart" (A&M)

Penned by John Monster Davis, there's some good mellow singing here. Collins & Collins comprise one guy and one girl. The beat is quite heavy, the record itself is quite funky, it's not that fast and the singing is quite mellow. Title tells us what the song is all about. The flip is worthy of your attention called "Top of the stairs", quite laid back with fine vocals. Who is Mr Collins? (could it be Wil?).

Masterpiece "The girl's alright with me" (Whitfield)

Another 1980 release, the old Eddie Kendricks, Norman Whitfield and Eddie Holland penned sound. Finger clicking good - it reminds me somewhat of "Sad Girl" - modern but danceable - falsetto singing and classic lyrics "She's sugar and spice and everything nice"

Chuck Cissell "Don't tell me your sorry" (Arista)

A 1979 B side to "Forever". Tremendous and covered up by Kev Griffin and others as Bobby Hutton "Sorry don't work". This is a brilliant newie which ahs really got a hold on me. Nice laid back tune and a tremendous voice - buy it!

Social source share

Soul Sam's review of Mind & Matter and Cecil Lyde....as promised....

Mind & Matter "I'm under your spell" (M&M Records 5002-011)

The Merlin & Magicians cover up, released in 1977, without any indication where it's from. Begins with bongo run down, before vibes, percussion and synthesized organ effect lay down a solid rhythm over which the mellow lead tells of the power of his young lady, aided by expressive male chorus. great wailing mid way thru', strong hook too, and tempo changes all add to an ideal dancer and listener. Flip "Sunshine lady" has storm effect on the intro before breaking into a similar style to the top side, slightly slower but another strong tune and vocal performance. I know when I first heard this disc, I wasn't sure which side to use, this having a very unusual organ riff half way through.

Cecil Lyde "I'll make it on my own" (Alwest 920-49)

The former Charles Johnson cover up, a 1981 release with no state info. Probably the best of the ten reviewed, unfortunately stuck on the B side of a mediocre routine funk track "Happy feeling". Onto the side that matters, Charles ( :D ) has distinctive quite high, yet soft voice, the record has a gutsy modern backing track, with precise percussion, synth and brass, answering a female chorus. Most importantly it has a strong memorable tune, putting it in a different league from the 'dancers only' discs.

Social source share

Guys view on the early 80's scene

but most of them(allniter Dj's) had gone down the avenue of playing absolutely mediocre late 70's and some extent early 80's tracks which were extremely disco orientated and not really of a Northern Soul style, not really a Soul night style actually, not like the 70's tracks that were being spun at the Mecca for instance in the mid 70's and then the other DJ's had even gone down the even worse route possible, of purely playing played out oldies and that was the combination of every single place you could go to. Totally banal venues

:shhh:ph34r.gif

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Soul Sam's review of Mind & Matter and Cecil Lyde....as promised....

Mind & Matter "I'm under your spell" (M&M Records 5002-011)

The Merlin & Magicians cover up, released in 1977, without any indication where it's from. Begins with bongo run down, before vibes, percussion and synthesized organ effect lay down a solid rhythm over which the mellow lead tells of the power of his young lady, aided by expressive male chorus. great wailing mid way thru', strong hook too, and tempo changes all add to an ideal dancer and listener. Flip "Sunshine lady" has storm effect on the intro before breaking into a similar style to the top side, slightly slower but another strong tune and vocal performance. I know when I first heard this disc, I wasn't sure which side to use, this having a very unusual organ riff half way through.

The former Charles Johnson cover up, a 1981 release with no state info. Probably the best of the ten reviewed, unfortunately stuck on the B side of a mediocre routine funk track "Happy feeling". Onto the side that matters, Charles ( :shhh: ) has distinctive quite high, yet soft voice, the record has a gutsy modern backing track, with precise percussion, synth and brass, answering a female chorus. Most importantly it has a strong memorable tune, putting it in a different league from the 'dancers only' discs.

Thanks Steve ph34r.gif:shhh:

Social source share

Particularly saddened though that the Stargard "I'll Always Love You" never really took off... a record that could still have its day on the Northern scene

Found myself a free copy of this LP just the other week and hardly even played it through, but when I finally did and got to this track the first thing that went through my mind was... "This is so much 'northern-modern' that it's ridiculous". Swirling strings, strong vocals, skipping beat in a Prince Phillip Mitchell "I'm So Happy" styleee. It certainly has got scene potential. But with that sleeve and being LP-only... ph34r.gif

Social source share

Found myself a free copy of this LP just the other week and hardly even played it through, but when I finally did and got to this track the first thing that went through my mind was... "This is so much 'northern-modern' that it's ridiculous". Swirling strings, strong vocals, skipping beat in a Prince Phillip Mitchell "I'm So Happy" styleee. It certainly has got scene potential. But with that sleeve and being LP-only... ph34r.gif

Glad you agree then!

(So much 'northern-modern' that it's ridiculous")

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Its only taken 25 years for someone else to acknowledge the potential of the record.

As for 'LP only' that never stopped Clyde McPhatter "Please Give Me One More Chance" Willie Hutch "Lucky To Be Loved By You" and many others gaining appreciation and recognition.

As for the sleeve.... Hide it under your bed.

:shhh:

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Now well known for the LP "Boogie Papers", this record from Feb 80 has the lot. Tied up with the O'Jays (as they are) the Love Committee really get to grips with this one. A rather slick beat with some fine singing from the group.

Started playing this recently again Steve (at home).

Just absolutely F**CKIN' AWESOME!

Dont remember it getting anywhere near enough action when new.

Ripe for revival I reckon!

ph34r.gif

Keep 'em coming Stevie!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Started playing this recently again Steve (at home).

Just absolutely F**CKIN' AWESOME!

Dont remember it getting anywhere near enough action when new.

Ripe for revival I reckon!

ph34r.gif

Keep 'em coming Stevie!

Sean Hampsey

Oi Mr H

I hammered that, but it got lost amongst all your disco :shhh:

Social source share

Great thread this. Didn't Stargard contain members of Honey and The Bees?

As for Clyde McPhatter...if only it were longer...

Glad you agree then!

(So much 'northern-modern' that it's ridiculous")

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Its only taken 25 years for someone else to acknowledge the potential of the record.

As for 'LP only' that never stopped Clyde McPhatter "Please Give Me One More Chance" Willie Hutch "Lucky To Be Loved By You" and many others gaining appreciation and recognition.

As for the sleeve.... Hide it under your bed.

ph34r.gif

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Nah!

It got lost amongst all your 'Pop Stompers' mate!

whistling.gif

Sean

Williams and Watson c/u and Sammy Severns ?

Do you remember the "if You Need Love " Cover up that had a dual identity till Poke covered it up as me ? :shhh:

If you do, what the hell was it, I've forgotten ?

The b side was in demand in Japan according to John Anderson.

Social source share

Anyone got an MP3 rip of the LP version , :lol:

Much harder than 45, but too long and a bit weird... :D

I know Slow/Jun got the lp but don't think he can use his cumputer well... :)

Social source share

Here is a really ancient article from mid 1980 just when we were getting into these new releases. I was quite a young thing back then so these were literallyt reviews of the latest soulful releases. Interesting because a few of them went on to become sizeable scene sounds - at the time they were just new releases. This was before Sam's column in Blackbeat, though we did know each other and were talking and corresponding about the same records back then. Suppliers were mostly Soul Bowl and John Manship.

July 1980 Old Blackbeat Issue 4

Recent Releases Reviewed - 80's Soul by Steve Guarnori

Rudy Stewart "I wanna love you all over" (Delmar Intl)

Written and produced by NY's Delmar Donnell, comes this late 1979 release. Described as a left field dancer, the voice has to be heard to be believed. An electric backing and nice break - but what a voice - screaming with soul.

Charles Johnson "Never had a love so good" (Alston)

B side to "Baby I cried" this came out in April in the States. Quite laid back with a nice mid tempo pace of soul - again a fine voice (where are they all coming from) as Charles compliments his missus. Nice electric piano and all.

Masqueraders "Desire" (Bang)

Guitar intro, then strings, then these stalwarts come busting in "Desire is burning in my heart for you". Good full force vocals on this March release "Imagination working overtime". There's a good instrumental bit in the middle, this sounds made for the US Top 30!

Collins & Collins "Please don't break my heart" (A&M)

Penned by John Monster Davis, there's some good mellow singing here. Collins & Collins comprise one guy and one girl. The beat is quite heavy, the record itself is quite funky, it's not that fast and the singing is quite mellow. Title tells us what the song is all about. The flip is worthy of your attention called "Top of the stairs", quite laid back with fine vocals. Who is Mr Collins? (could it be Wil?).

Masterpiece "The girl's alright with me" (Whitfield)

Another 1980 release, the old Eddie Kendricks, Norman Whitfield and Eddie Holland penned sound. Finger clicking good - it reminds me somewhat of "Sad Girl" - modern but danceable - falsetto singing and classic lyrics "She's sugar and spice and everything nice"

Chuck Cissell "Don't tell me your sorry" (Arista)

A 1979 B side to "Forever". Tremendous and covered up by Kev Griffin and others as Bobby Hutton "Sorry don't work". This is a brilliant newie which ahs really got a hold on me. Nice laid back tune and a tremendous voice - buy it!

Hi Steve,

Played my copy of Masterpiece the other day - a great "Throwback" record!. Rudy Stewart,Chuck Cissell and Love Committee all sound as good 25 years on!

Social source share

Played it off the lp just today, almost forgot how good it was, what a silky dancer... thanks for the reminder! :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has encouraged me to put together a cdr of some of the best new release cuts of 1981 played on the embryo Modern Soul Scene. Pm me if you fancy a cd swop!

EARLY MODERN SOUL SPINS 1981 (Eg. Brum Locarno/Shef Tiffs/Shef Rebels) (Either by Sam/Arthur/Richard)

ALL ARE ALBUM CUTS

1. Kalyan - Let Me Love You One More Time - Rca (1981)

2. Lakeside - Ever Ready Man - Solar (1981)

3. Betty Wright - Give A Smile - Epic (1981)

4. C.M. Lord - I'm happy That Love Has Found You - Rca (1981)

5. Denise Lasalle - I'm Tripping On You - Mca (1981)

6. The Impressions - I Don't Wanna Lose Your Love - 20th Century (1981)

7. Charles Veal - New Found Love - Capitol (1981)

8. Donna Washington - Coming In For A Landing - Capitol (1981)

9. The Softones & First Class - Candy - Parkway Int

10. Alton McClain & Destiny - Love Notes - Polydor (1981)

11. Bobby Thurston - Very Last Drop - Prelude (1981)

12. Jean Knight & Premium - Love Me Tonight - Cotillion (1981)

13. Bobby King - If You Don't Want My Love - W.Bros (1981)

14. Mighty Fire - Sweet Fire - Elektra (1981)

15. Ruby Wilson - I Thought I Would Never Find Love - Malaco (1981)

16 New Mexico - Let The Night Move - Decade (1980)

17. Main Ingredient - An Evening Of Love - Rca (1981)

18. Zingara - Haunted House - Wheel (1981)

Social source share

Guest denmac

robin, if your list was a night out,metaforawhatsit like. what a great night it was. knew 4 of the tunes,liked 8 others, noted 5 of them. the other 6 did not spoil my night

please no smart arsed comments about only 18 tunes.

Social source share

Some nice stuff there Robin - not sure I even remember New Mexico!

Certainly takes me back to some heady days in the early 80's......

Like that time when I was coming over to yours and the train from Peterborough collided with a tractor at Oakham rendering it useless :D Seem to recall having to find a phone box and your very kindly driving out to pick me up from the middle of nowhere.

I wonder is Glyn Thornhill still writing a book about it all?

Social source share

Interesting list this.....I'm curious about the fact that they're 'mostly' album cuts mainly as someone who's never really bought albums.

This thread has encouraged me to put together a cdr of some of the best new release cuts of 1981 played on the embryo Modern Soul Scene. Pm me if you fancy a cd swop!

EARLY MODERN SOUL SPINS 1981 (Eg. Brum Locarno/Shef Tiffs/Shef Rebels) (Either by Sam/Arthur/Richard)

ALL ARE ALBUM CUTS

2. Lakeside - Ever Ready Man - Solar (1981)

3. Betty Wright - Give A Smile - Epic (1981)

6. The Impressions - I Don't Wanna Lose Your Love - 20th Century (1981)

7. Charles Veal - New Found Love - Capitol (1981)

8. Donna Washington - Coming In For A Landing - Capitol (1981)

9. The Softones & First Class - Candy - Parkway Int

10. Alton McClain & Destiny - Love Notes - Polydor (1981)

12. Jean Knight & Premium - Love Me Tonight - Cotillion (1981)

13. Bobby King - If You Don't Want My Love - W.Bros (1981)

15. Ruby Wilson - I Thought I Would Never Find Love - Malaco (1981)

16 New Mexico - Let The Night Move - Decade (1980)

18. Zingara - Haunted House - Wheel (1981)

Social source share

Interesting list this.....I'm curious about the fact that they're 'mostly' album cuts mainly as someone who's never really bought albums.

Simon,it was just a purely personal choice to pull some album cuts from the time. Also they are far more accessible than my 7's! There were always plenty of 7's played at the time - both a mixture of rare and new/recent release.

Other Lp cuts from '81 I pulled and could'nt fit on were..

Leon Bryant "Mighty Body (Hotsy Totsy)" Delite

Ullanda McCullogh - Warm and Gentle Explosion - Atlantic

Peabo Bryson - Why Don't You Make Up Your Mind - Capitol

Social source share

Do you mean that those tunes are album-only cuts? Or that you sourced them from the LPs? I don't know many of them, but it looks very nice! :D As far as I know, these are also available as 7"s:

Love that Main Ingredient tune! :shades:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Actually this might be a good opportunity to ask a question. i've been doing a column in 'manifesto' for about two years and it features 45 and 12"s that were either not issued in America or were first issued outside of America in those formats. It's been quite a long list so far but one I've been reluctant to include is Leon Bryant 'Just The way You Like It' on Delite UK 12". I've never seen an issue of it and can't find any evidence of a US 12" or 7". Anyone have either a full UK issue or a US issue?

Social source share

Actually this might be a good opportunity to ask a question. i've been doing a column in 'manifesto' for about two years and it features 45 and 12"s that were either not issued in America or were first issued outside of America in those formats. It's been quite a long list so far but one I've been reluctant to include is Leon Bryant 'Just The way You Like It' on Delite UK 12". I've never seen an issue of it and can't find any evidence of a US 12" or 7". Anyone have either a full UK issue or a US issue?

Hi Simon,

I have both a US !2" and a UK 7" of "Just The Way You Like It".

I often played the 45 around the time that "Mighty Body" was being played (also have a US 45 of that one - but much prefer JTWILI).

:shades:

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Nice one Sean. I suspected there must be a US 12". It's a record I always loved, a kind of less poppy version of Garfieild Fleming -now why didn't I buy the three sealed copies of that I saw for a pound each in Walthamstow High Street ?

Social source share

Nice one Sean. I suspected there must be a US 12". It's a record I always loved, a kind of less poppy version of Garfieild Fleming -now why didn't I buy the three sealed copies of that I saw for a pound each in Walthamstow High Street ?

Suppose you mean his "Don't Send Me Away"? :D Haven't ever really thought of it as "poppy", but I guess you're right. :shades:

How about Garfield's "Let's Turn In Early" on Gimme Five? Pulled that one out yesterday and what a lovely ballad. Anyone wanna trade their 7" of that one for my 12"? PM me if so.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Do you mean that those tunes are album-only cuts? Or that you sourced them from the LPs? I don't know many of them, but it looks very nice! :rolleyes: As far as I know, these are also available as 7"s:

Love that Main Ingredient tune! :shades:

Just that I sourced them from the Lp's.

Also, Simon if you're talking about 12's, a monster at the time was Charles Mann "Sho Nuff No Funny Stuff Love". Though of course this was U.S release!

Social source share

Some nice stuff there Robin - not sure I even remember New Mexico!

Certainly takes me back to some heady days in the early 80's......

Like that time when I was coming over to yours and the train from Peterborough collided with a tractor at Oakham rendering it useless :shades: Seem to recall having to find a phone box and your very kindly driving out to pick me up from the middle of nowhere.

I wonder is Glyn Thornhill still writing a book about it all?

It's very kind of you not to remind me that I also ran out of petrol after picking you up rolling down the hill into Loughborough!

:D

Steve G , what year was that Modern Soul and Pizza doo ? :rolleyes:

Papa Luigis ??, Peterborough. Probably '84/85??

Social source share

12",UK issue.......in picture sleeve,and again without.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

The new 'manifesto' has popped through the door this morning.

I see Soul Sam has written something about the 'Blackbeat ' story and the origins on Modern Soul as a term which will interest a few people.

Social source share

The new 'manifesto' has popped through the door this morning.

I see Soul Sam has written something about the 'Blackbeat ' story and the origins on Modern Soul as a term which will interest a few people.

It would interest me Simon, but I dont tend to read 'manifesto' (apart from the Communist party one).

What's he saying... in summary?

Sean

Social source share

It would interest me Simon, but I dont tend to read 'manifesto' (apart from the Communist party one).

What's he saying... in summary?

Sean

Largely he confirms whats been said here Sean...how the term first appeared in print in Blackbeat and had been used for about two years before that to describe what the Shrewsbury Collective had been playing.

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

An article of interest from 1980, where Soul Sam goes back to the 'Mod' days of The Wheel . . .

May saw the introduction of a new type of Northern Soul , with one of the first records being the Love Committee's "I made a mistake". Soon the scene was to be flooded by an air of freshness with new released records recieving air play from Soul Sam originally. Later in the year it was enlightening to see Martin to have the courage to state his views on the stupidity of the current rare soul scene. The cover-ups began to predominate all the newies DJ's playlist, even though, in my opinion there was no need for so many cover-ups as the pirate grabbing bootleggers had begun to see the decline of the scene thus leaving bootlegs in the minority. Martin saw it was time to set up a new underground scene without the mass publicity and stale oldies, however he saw chance with his position as guesting DJ at the Casino. Alas unfortunately it was too much to take for many Northern Soul fans to be introduced to a complete 100% seventies sounds. Many followers stated that they were being brainwashed into accepting these sounds and yet it amazed me and a minority of people, as probably without realising it hadn't this being happening for a number of years as ego tripping DJ's played safe with very played out oldies. Needless to say Soul Sam was to leave the Wigan Casino under a cloud. However Sam was not dismayed and saw another chance at the re-opening of the Blackpool Mecca Saturday night soul sessions, in September. Unfortunately the period was a short lived affair as many fans were unsure as to whether or not the Mecca was still open, due to no publicity what-so-ever. Arthur Fenn now joined Soul Sam in a complete newies playlist from the seventies and eighties and I for one was glad to see this. In issue one of this mag. I stated it was time for a 100% newies event. Constant backstabbing of the two DJ's continues to prevail. However let me take this opportunity in congratulating the DJ's for a soul saving freshness for the scene. At present the majority of the followers seem to think it is too fast a move at once but I believe in years to come this decision will be respected and many DJ's will begin to play the sounds of the seventies and eighties many years after Soul Sam, Arthur and Mario.

Many top names on the soul scene are stating that this move results in fans having to listen to the sounds before dancing and accepting them. Sam's answer is : "What about the Twisted Wheel era of the sixties, wasn't there a listening situation then and surely they did not go back fifteen to twenty years for the sounds". This may sound like an attack of oldies DJ's playlists, but it is not meant to be as they have their place. There will always be a need for new sounds but memories must live on for many soul fans. I'll just say I see no way that the scene can survive in it's present predicament. However many a time at Northern Soul venues the dance floor is immediately filled as oldies are played, is this really what the fans want? Surely we have a similar situation to the Mecca days that were scorned upon and yet now are hailed as 'great memories'. Carry on as you are Sam in this abyss looking scene I see light at the end of the tunnel when your decision will be accepted. I did not hold this opinion until I began to listen to the sounds and if you do not, then I suggest that you do. Right have we got that ? C/O Okeh Magazine (1980).Martin

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Hi Sean - and everyone else whose kept this theme going

Great reading your column from the early 80's again. Cleethorpes (ii) was a wicked place to hear new sounds - along with Clifton Hall and the latter days of the Casino. As you say the dancers were well up for it - myself included. You mentioned Eric - who was a good friend at the time. Halcyon days.

Thanks for the memories.

Peter

Social source share

Hi Sean - and everyone else whose kept this theme going

Great reading your column from the early 80's again. Cleethorpes (ii) was a wicked place to hear new sounds - along with Clifton Hall and the latter days of the Casino. As you say the dancers were well up for it - myself included. You mentioned Eric - who was a good friend at the time. Halcyon days.

Thanks for the memories.

Peter

Hi Peter,

So what happened to Eric?

A top bloke!

Where was he (and you from)?

Sean

Social source share

when and where did the term Modern Soul come about ?

In the 70's because it was disco based and 'modern' compared to traditionally ventured tunes on the northern soul scene that were 'not modern' smile.gif

Social source share

In the 70's because it was disco based and 'modern' compared to traditionally ventured tunes on the northern soul scene that were 'not modern' smile.gif

Thats wrong. The " Modern Soul Scene" was effectively started by Sam and Arthur Fenn around 1980. And thank God they did what the did.

Had absolutely nothing to do with the Levine/Curtis playlists from the Mecca circa 1975-1976.

Social source share

Thats exactly what I'd always thought and was totally wrong.....if you go back into the thread it all becomes clear, just like Steve says, it was Soul Sam and Arthur Fenn !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert